Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great close from Jacobs. Very close fight, maybe Jacobs nicked it. That knockdown may decide the fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I think Jacobs took it, but whoever wins they should probably rematch this one.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GGG by 1 but drat Danny Jacobs deserves tremendous respect

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

yeah, I got GGG by 1, but probably won't be surprised either way

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Le Saboteur posted:

I think Jacobs took it, but whoever wins they should probably rematch this one.

i'm inclined to agree. i think the next fight would be better now that they've had a real good look at each other

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

there was definitely a bit of the 'jacobs is doing better than expected so i'm scoring more for him' from the boxnation commentators

that said, i think it's another one where any none wide result is fine

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

thehappyprince posted:

there was definitely a bit of the 'jacobs is doing better than expected so i'm scoring more for him' from the boxnation commentators

that's what i figured was happening

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
lmao what the heck

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

legit scorecards

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marching Powder posted:

legit scorecards

Ya tbh

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, good fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

fair decision but much too close for comfort

really thought that could go the other way

drat

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

good call, but "escapes with a victory" is right on the button

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Marching Powder posted:

that's what i figured was happening

For me it might have been a bit of that, but I also saw Jacobs landing lots of flurries, which even if partially blocked always make a good case to me. GGG just seemed so inactive.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

For me it might have been a bit of that, but I also saw Jacobs landing lots of flurries, which even if partially blocked always make a good case to me. GGG just seemed so inactive.

he got a few rounds for exactly that reason. but there were like 4 rounds that honestly could have gone either way and jacobs getting that 114-113 meant he got just about all of them

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
I'm glad GGG won for the good of boxing but he didn't deserve it

Fought like he was drugged

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Ehhh fair enough, it was close. Just get Saunders' belt and then move up now

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
So even if Gennady didn't get the knockdown it would have been a majority decision for him. Huh, I'm going to have to watch that again.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

I was rooting for GGG but I thought Jacobs had just done enough to take that fight. I can't judge fights for poo poo though so I kinda wonder if I was just scoring Jacobs more for not getting smashed as much as others have done.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

errr i think we may want to hold off on that for a bit. he had a bit too much trouble there

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
i have done nothing but drink beer and smoke weed and watch people beat each other up all loving day. its been incredible. thanks for posting with me friends.

Art Core...velay
Jun 16, 2013
would rather see this rematch than canelo/ggg tbh

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

errr i think we may want to hold off on that for a bit. he had a bit too much trouble there

If Canelo won't fight him there's nothing else though

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lionel Richie posted:

If Canelo won't fight him there's nothing else though

true enough. he'll have cleaned house.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Gay Horney posted:

i have done nothing but drink beer and smoke weed and watch people beat each other up all loving day. its been incredible. thanks for posting with me friends.

yeah it's been good

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Great card of fights, top to bottom there was a lot to like tonight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Agreed with the co-main and this decision. In close fights every point matters and if you get knocked down you pay the price.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Lionel Richie posted:

Ehhh fair enough, it was close. Just get Saunders' belt and then move up now

he's not big enough imo

this fight was so close, I agree with these posts:

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

good call, but "escapes with a victory" is right on the button

ChaosReaper posted:

I was rooting for GGG but I thought Jacobs had just done enough to take that fight. I can't judge fights for poo poo though so I kinda wonder if I was just scoring Jacobs more for not getting smashed as much as others have done.

Jacobs could have won this, the was about as close as the previous fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The Ninth Layer posted:

Great card of fights, top to bottom there was a lot to like tonight.

you could put the exact same card on in three months and i'd watch it top to bottom

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The judges scorecards were right on imo, GGG didnt look his best but he did enough to win. Dont particularly need to see him fight anyone bigger if it means he is gonna have to curtail his output that much

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Really good showing by Jacobs also

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Jacobs fought the fight of his life but the knockdown hosed him. Canelo wasn't impressed and will need to wait another 3 years to see if GGG can bring in some PPV buys to their potential fight. Rematch GGG/Jacobs.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

manyak posted:

The judges scorecards were right on imo

every single fight top to bottom without a questionable card, and every fight was between highly competitive and razor close. i've never seen so much good judging in one place in any combat sport

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Clearly the takeaway from this night is Lomachenko's stranglehold on the #1 p4p spot tightens :smug:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Clearly the takeaway from this night is Lomachenko's stranglehold on the #1 p4p spot tightens :smug:

Hard to argue with actually.

Well, my arguments are Crawford and Ward.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Marching Powder posted:

every single fight top to bottom without a questionable card, and every fight was between highly competitive and razor close. i've never seen so much good judging in one place in any combat sport

Agreed totally. Great card to watch, GGG is a bad dude, but like everyone is saying so much respect for Jacobs.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

eric posted:

Jacobs fought the fight of his life but the knockdown hosed him. Canelo wasn't impressed and will need to wait another 3 years to see if GGG can bring in some PPV buys to their potential fight. Rematch GGG/Jacobs.

Lol, this fight just made GGG seem beatable, I bet Canelo hops in a ring with him sooner rather than later as a consequence

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Lol, this fight just made GGG seem beatable, I bet Canelo hops in a ring with him sooner rather than later as a consequence

That would be huge mistake; Canelo doesn't have the boxing chops of Jacobs and I would assume GBP knows it too. Don't really think this changes anything on that front.

If anything it probably makes a Lemieux or Eubank Jr. more possible because it's easier to handwave Golovkin as not being worth the hype anyways

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
The Chocolatito fight was the fight of the year, and I can't even get mad that Chocolatito lost because it guarantees a rematch and was such an insane fight.

GGG/Jacobs could have gone either way, and Jacobs really proved himself as an elite fighter in his own right. It's too bad that we probably won't see a rematch for at least a year, if ever, but GGG/Canelo is unavoidable as a superfight event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

That was an insane card to be there for. Props to everyone bringing the poo poo.

I had it 7-5 GGG I thought Jacobs was flurrying a lot at the last 30 seconds to steal rounds and most of it was landing on GGG'a gloves. Jacobs was having insane success from the southpaw stance and I'm very surprised he didn't just commit to it fully because GGG was loving him up when he went conventional.

• Locked thread