Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Here's the thing about the ME:A flip flop.

The original Mass Effect Trilogy is looked upon fondly. The games were good. The great majority of people agree that these games are model of effective world-building and character development and the game was very strong because of it. There are certainly pieces of the trilogy that maybe aren't *great*, but what it did well was so strong that things like 'meh' combat at time was nothing but a tiny mark against it. It's important to remember that the writing, the world and the characters are what carried this series and on the back of three games were this was the focus of excellence, they have earned this place where people will give them the benefit of the doubt...until proven wrong of course.

Well, here we are a week out of release, and we have something tangible to touch and the writing doesn't look so hot. If the writing isn't great, then it puts those other things that rely on good writing in jeopardy. We assumed the writing would be at least good because it was really good in the original trilogy. This is called 'evidence'! There was evidence to suggest that ME:A's writing would be strong because the series had good writing in the past. Well, now there is a lot more evidence to suggest that maybe ME:A's writing is actually quite bad. Because of this new evidence, a lot of people are reconsidering their position on the game.

In review:

Past evidence says ME:A will probably be good = People think ME:A will be good.
New evidence suggests that ME:A might not be good = People think ME:A might not be good.

The theme here is Evidence.

See, rational people use evidence to help form opinions. So, when people flip-flopped on ME:A, it's because the evidence changed. That's what it means to be rational.

With Star Citizen, we actually saw a similar thing. Star Citizen was announced and people were excited for it. They extended the benefit of doubt to Croberts and friends and were willing to hand over some cash because there wasn't yet any really strong evidence to suggest it's going to crash and burn. Then, the crazy started piling on. An insane scope. Ship pricing. A lot of promises and not a lot of content over a long period of time. Hyping of tech that's been figured out 10 years previous and still didn't work quite right. Timelines that seem to get extended into eternity. All these things and more are pieces of evidence that suggest that maybe this isn't the dream project people original hoped it would be. It kinda suggested that it might be a train wreck and as more and more of that kind of evidence got piled on, people started doing a rational thing: They asked for refunds. They stopped supporting the game. They lost faith in the project, because there was now a lot of evidence to suggest that CIG isn't going to deliver.

Now, if you aren't a fan of evidence, we have name for you: True Believer.

If you think the Earth is flat, or that chemtrails are evil, or that fluoride is a mind-controlling drug planted in our water by the government, or that Star Citizen will deliver on anything resembling the scope that was promised, then you are a True Believer. You have earned such a label because despite overwhelming evidence, you choose to close your ears and eyes and refuse to acknowledge that evidence, or claim it was placed there by an antagonistic third party, or do mental gymnastics of ever-increasing complexity to prevent the shattering the forgone conclusion your brain has submitted as reality despite that evidence.

So in this really boring post, I hope there is one important take-away: Reconsidering ME:A's potential is a thing a rational human would do. Supporting Star Citizen in TYooL 2017 is a thing an irrational person would do.

most important part of post -- Tax:

You have put more thought into mass effect then bioware ever has with this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

MilesK posted:

I've never played a Mass Effect game, but to me the animations look pretty funny. Can I enjoy it as a comedy or is it a serious thing, like the Wing Commander movie?

Comedy but some people take it very seriously when your space gently caress body options aren't the ideal of beauty. Some people are very upset the new space alien , Angara, aren't sexy cat people. You can still gently caress them though

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

They aren't allegations. Several of the top people went to jail for fraud. Chris got away. There was no way as one of the top 3 exec producers for these movies that he didn't know they only had 20% of the budget they should have.

+ we dont know in which way they were spinning these shell companies around. ascendant pictures for example might have received 100% of the sum and then just invest 80% away for "safe keeping" or intercompany loans.

quote:

here is one thing: the money flow... from the vip to the rising star (full amount), rs to ascendant pictures (or other inhouse) 20 %, rest over some other points (for the german tax auhorities) straight to a bank, getting fixed deposit for 10 years. This included an intercompany loan for the safe bed amount, since cr could / would not be able to pay it.
according to some investors, all 3 money movements took place in the same time, so its clear that this was a fixed deal.
cr knows what he does

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The investment scheme story still needs work. I'd make an attempt at writing up the easy version myself, but I think I still don't quite get the machinations involved.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

XK posted:

The investment scheme story still needs work. I'd make an attempt at writing up the easy version myself, but I think I still don't quite get the machinations involved.
this is a pretty good read

https://www.investor.gov/additional-resources/news-alerts/alerts-bulletins/investor-bulletin-affinity-fraud

investment scams like this are hard to detail, mostly because the scammers make the money very difficult to track

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

TheAgent posted:

investment scams like this are hard to detail, mostly because the scammers make the money very difficult to track

quote:

Affinity fraud almost always involves either a fake investment or an investment where the fraudster lies about important details (such as the risk of loss, the track record of the investment, or the background of the promoter of the scheme)

Fraudsters who carry out affinity scams frequently are (or pretend to be) members of the group they are trying to defraud
:eyepop:

Chris didn't mislead backers about the risk
Chris didn't mislead backers about his track record
Chris didn't mislead backers about his background

He certainly didn't pretend to be a gamer!

Checkmate goonie!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

neonbregna posted:

Game is actually cool and good though
its already downloaded and I'm gonna play it tomorrow but I have a weird feeling that
its been more than 600 years and its been like 6b years or whatever and you're fighting the last remnants of mankind or something and all the vaults are just old human tech
also I laugh about the animation I can still enjoy it if its good

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

its already downloaded and I'm gonna play it tomorrow but I have a weird feeling that
its been more than 600 years and its been like 6b years or whatever and you're fighting the last remnants of mankind or something and all the vaults are just old human tech

http://i.imgur.com/YQ0ZuH9.gifv

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
that dudes face was sure tired

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TheAgent posted:

Yeah this'll be it, I could totally see it happen.

I also long to experience Bioware's new fresh take on their stirring tech-spirituality nonsense that totally makes me think about my place in the unive

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

This could all be Star Citizen footage

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
is star citizen still a worthless scam or are they finally making some sort of a game worth caring about out of fear of their cultist fanbase

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

RottenK posted:

is star citizen still a worthless scam or are they finally making some sort of a game worth caring about out of fear of their cultist fanbase

You can get in a ship, and move it around, and pew pew. You can also buy clothes.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

RottenK posted:

It's not worthless. It has provided me with laffs so the value is non zero

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Chris Roberts Industries: Affinity Ward

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Speaking of scams, isn't one of Kickstarter's biggest problems that companies will take out high interest short-term loans to pad the funding number and create media attention? Then when the campaign ends and development starts, they run out of money shockingly fast because in reality they only had half the amount they claimed, and backers were only covering interest on the loans plus a small amount of funding.

Very scummy. This means that for many Kickstarters the funding amount is fake. Presumably the higher tier backer rewards too.

Now just imagine what you could do if you didn't even have the accountability of Kickstarter and ran the funding tracker yourself! :v:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when goons thought that CIG's operating costs were 300 billion dollars per month.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Decrepus posted:

Remember when goons thought that CIG's operating costs were 300 billion dollars per month.

I don't actually. But yea, lots of that cash is just going in their private piggybanks or CR's new yacht.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/eno0I77.gifv

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Layer on code, fidelity and graphic APIs...no biggie.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

The Star Citizen subreddit is getting salty as gently caress.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

RSI forums too. Whats left of them I guess. Thought they were shutting down.

-link-

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Spatial posted:

Speaking of scams, isn't one of Kickstarter's biggest problems that companies will take out high interest short-term loans to pad the funding number and create media attention? Then when the campaign ends and development starts, they run out of money shockingly fast because in reality they only had half the amount they claimed, and backers were only covering interest on the loans plus a small amount of funding.

Very scummy. This means that for many Kickstarters the funding amount is fake. Presumably the higher tier backer rewards too.

Now just imagine what you could do if you didn't even have the accountability of Kickstarter and ran the funding tracker yourself! :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpUGzAhWYt8

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Virtual Captain posted:

RSI forums too. Whats left of them I guess. Thought they were shutting down.

-link-

Aren't those reports now cancelled?

Boy, it sure is hard to drag Sandi in front of a camera. That takes significant effort.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Yup, it's the last thing they do before adding gameplay

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Hold my beer while I change my graphics API.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
None of you know anything about game development.

Obviously the time you want to start changing your graphics rendering for the third or fourth time is two and a half years after your release date.

This is not only nothing to worry about, but a good thing. :words:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hold my pizza and donut while I blog about Wing Commander.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Number of fedoras owned by this guy: too many for me to watch the video

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Star Citizen: Nothing is ever easy.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

XK posted:

I run Linux on my everyday desktop for the last decade. Let me check.

Oh, none of them. I guess that's why I bought a PS4.

A few have been backported, I think: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux

e: unless SteamOS just runs them in an emulator or something

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Generally games get backported to Linux, native libraries and executables and all. Thanks to the Mono project, games written under .NET and XNB can be played natively in Linux, eg Stardew Valley. But otherwise its a full port like Witcher 2, Civilization V or the Valve games. I have not tried Borderlands 2 but that's been ported also.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Daztek posted:

Truly amazing. Someone link me to recent AAA games that run natively on linux please, I'm curious.

There's a bunch. Most notably borderlands 2, civilization games, xcom games, stellaris, serious sam games, valve games.

e: I guess deus ex counts too? There's really too many to keep track these days tbh. It owns, I can play so many strategy games on my work laptop now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Kibner posted:

A few have been backported, I think: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?os=linux

e: unless SteamOS just runs them in an emulator or something

Funny enough after the Linux talk I looked up to see if someone actually tried to run this disaster of a tech demo with Wine.

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=28924

Result rating: Garbage

Of course that was an old version of Wine and just the hanger module.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Not that I've checked recently, but I don't think any games running cryengine even had linux dedicated server files.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/842465307058921472

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"
Squirrel's gone, guess I'll just keep filming this empty chair... oop there he is!