Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tgent posted:

What else do you need exactly? :psyduck:

Some sort of pacing, environments that are interesting to look at and don't block you out nonsensically all the time with invisible walls, non absolute bottom of the barrel side quests and interesting enemy encounters more than once in a blue moon would be a good start.

Not that I dislike it, because I am enjoying it to some degree I and appreciate it's brand of weirdness but it's also really boring a lot of the time and there seems to be a lot of total crap stuffed in between the interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I find Neir super relaxing to play

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think to some degree playing the hell out of Horizon hosed up my enjoyment of Nier and Zelda. They are all so different and similar at the same time, and Horizon is so much more polished than the other 2 I feel like I'm not appreciating their quirks as much as I should. I really should have just had some self control and spaced them out.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I think to some degree playing the hell out of Horizon hosed up my enjoyment of Nier and Zelda. They are all so different and similar at the same time, and Horizon is so much more polished than the other 2 I feel like I'm not appreciating their quirks as much as I should. I really should have just had some self control and spaced them out.
Yeah, I decided I'm gonna finish Nier before I go back to the other two. Miku and Super Robot Wars keep interrupting though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I do appreciate that I have a bunch of big open stuff to play that doesn't involve being some contemporary idiot criminal though because that theme is the loving worst.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I do appreciate that I have a bunch of big open stuff to play that doesn't involve being some contemporary idiot criminal though because that theme is the loving worst.

Yakuza 0 is very good though???

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Is it worth it to check out any of the DLC for it? I bought it new, so I got all the PS4 exclusive content, but I didn't know if was worth it to buy the season pass for everything, or just a couple of specific items.

I'd say no. It's not very good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

Yakuza 0 is very good though???
Hey now, Kiryu is not a criminal. All those people he beat up were asking for it and they will all vouch for that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Fair point, but Majima is canonically a criminal :colbert:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

veni veni veni posted:

Same, at least for Zelda. Have no intention of buying Nier. I just packed up my Switch to return along with assloads of accessories, and I'm just gonna get a gaming PC for the living room instead since I can't deny my graphics whoring ways any longer.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey fellas, is there any way to just download the game to the system, if I bought the physical copy of the game? I've been spoiled on PC gaming and digital copies for years...I know this sounds awful whiny, but I don't like having to switch discs. I have an extremely small attention span and often switch games three or four times in an hour long session. Girlfriend brought home both World of Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy XV and they're both fun, so far, but...I just can't focus for that long. But then I think, man, I don't want to get up.

\/\/\/ Some bullshit right there \/\/\/

Edit: I tell you what.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 19, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, by buying it again sure.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm trying real hard to think of a way to ask this without sounding like a dick but how loving lazy are you man, it's just switching a disc out, imagine a time when you had to remove and insert a disc every time you wanted to listen to a different band or album

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I guess I didn't need to add a bunch of explanation; I could have simply asked if it were possible to download the disc to the system. Then I wouldn't have been italislammed.

EDIT: Oh, but you know, it's not an unreasonable question. I am currently playing Final Fantasy XV, but it's suspended so I can use HULU on this thing instead of switching to World of Final Fantasy. And I know it can download games to the system.

I'll be God-damned if I'm getting up from this couch until dawn.

credburn fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 19, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All PS4 games are installed entirely to the system. You have to insert the disc to prove you own it, that's literally all it is. Otherwise there would be nothing stopping you from installing the game and then giving it to your friend for free.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Well, you wouldn't need to download anything since all games are installed and the disc is just DRM.

Edit

Beaten like the Vita. It meant Life.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
As someone who buys strictly digital, I have consigned myself to only buying new games that I really really want to play and waiting for sales on everything else. I recommend it for people who don't care about collecting physical boxes and can afford it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I still buy disc games occasionally. If it's something that I'm relatively certain I will only want to play once, I'll buy the disc so I can sell it to Amazon later. Saving money is cool!

Or every now and then I'll want to play a game right now and don't have time for a 4-6 hour download when a 30 minute install will do instead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

precision posted:

I'm trying real hard to think of a way to ask this without sounding like a dick but how loving lazy are you man, it's just switching a disc out, imagine a time when you had to remove and insert a disc every time you wanted to listen to a different band or album

I sit about a meter at most away from my PS4 and I'm still lazy about changing discs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
At least in the winter time I'm usually bundled up in a blanket on my sofa playing games so I don't want to get up to mess with something at the TV.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I probably should've too, but I find Breath of the Wild is the superior game between it and Horizon just for being able to climb anywhere you drat-well please. Horizon's story has been fantastic though, and it's nice being given enough indirect clues to get a good idea of what happened well before the game spells it out explicitly. When it's not a weapon, you have metal flowers with fertile ground around them, and the swarm eats everything alive it's not much of a guess that Zero Dawn was a Zero Reset on the world after starving the robots out. I'm just on the Quest to go fix the corrupted Alpha Registry in All-Mother Mountain, and I quite like the little nod that it would've taken 50 years to break the cryptographic encryption on the Hartz-Timor swam so... they've had that running in the background. Just in case. Though given the word "swarm" and the neat little tendrils in the Corrupted machines, I'm guessing the Faro robots aren't the swarm proper but nanotech instead.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

credburn posted:

\/\/\/ Some bullshit right there \/\/\/

If you didn't need to actually have the disc in the system to play a game you bought physically, you could just install the game and then immediately return it to the store, or give it to a friend or something - without losing the ability to play it. I don't know what else you would have liked them to do.

If you really are that incredibly lazy that this is a serious problem for you, just buy games digitally. As far as I'm aware, every single PS4 game in existence is available digitally. Then you're free to switch around between your games as much as you want, while slowly fusing with the couch :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lolling at this lazy dude

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They could do the cdkey system like PC games have but that would be kinda miserable I guess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tbf is probably not gonna be much more than like five years before 'physical games' are just a code in a box, that only exist because of Gamestop etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can pry my resaleable discs from my cheap dead hands.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
They never revealed the exact details before the shitstorm and subsequent backtracking, but I think Microsoft were probably planning to let you play your physical copies without the disc in the drive with the Xbone.

The problem is that, in order for something like that to work, a constant online connection is simply a requirement - every disc has to be marked with an individual identifier, and then whenever you launch your game, your console checks the servers to make sure that no-one else has installed a disc with that ID since you did (since that would mean you don't own the disc anymore). Then you can play your physical games wihout having to actually insert a disc.

The problem is that all of this is a lot of unnecessary bullshit and hassle compared to just inserting the fuckin disc.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Instant Grat posted:

The problem is that all of this is a lot of unnecessary bullshit and hassle compared to just inserting the fuckin disc.

The idea of it all did give us this though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

Tbf is probably not gonna be much more than like five years before 'physical games' are just a code in a box, that only exist because of Gamestop etc.

People keep saying this, but it's really not gonna happen. Not unless you can shoot the heads of every ISP overnight and replace them with people actually wanting to replace shoddy century-old copper wiring in places that aren't major coastal cities. Nevermind places that aren't first-world countries. Doing so would gut your profit base by about half, at least. Same thing for streaming gaming replacing consoles as well.

That doesn't even cover basic stuff like monthly download limits, because modern titles games are big.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Mar 19, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I always forget there are still places where download limits are a thing.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sometimes I forget about the plight of the common folk when I'm downloading 60GB games in like 5 hours on this PS4. My condolences go out to those stuck in internet hell.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Tgent posted:

What else do you need exactly? :psyduck:

I don't like the camera, I don't like floaty feel of the jumping/platforming, I don't like the level design. While the art direction is good, a lot of the environments are downright ugly.

And I hate the dialogue interface. It takes like 20 seconds to leave a vendor. God forbit you just be able to walk away when you're done.

But it's a great game, just not a well-rounded one.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

I always forget there are still places where download limits are a thing.

I don't deny that theoretically it's possible, the technology exists after all. But you'd pretty much have to force the ISP's at gunpoint to lay out proper domestic fibre networks across the entire planet to make it viable.

Besides, even as-is right now it would be a non-starter simply because of US college dorms; Large customer base for videogames, gently caress-all internet for downloading them with :v:.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bloodychill posted:

They could do the cdkey system like PC games have but that would be kinda miserable I guess.

I don't think they could without effectively killing off the secondary market, which would open a huge can of worms. That's pretty much what Xbone was going to do and people were grabbing their pitchforks so quick they changed it within like 3 days.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 19, 2017

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Has the preload for Andromeda started yet?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think they could without effectively killing off the secondary market, which would open a huge can of worms. That's pretty much what Xbone was going to do and people were grabbing their pitchforks so quick they changed it within like 3 days.

Sony brutally owning them with a twenty-two-second video didn't help either.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

half of me still suspects Sony was planning on doing the exact same thing and decided to just say they didn't after the horrible reception to the Xbox one announcement.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
So, I was updating my PS4 on this nice sunny Sunday morning and out of no where I lose power for a split second.

I start up my ps4, and the disk check and says I need to update my PS4. I download the update on USB, it updates, restarts, and then on the restart it does the disk check and says I need to update again. I have done this half a dozen times with the same loop happening over and over. Am I SOL? The only option I seem to have left is to I guess reinstall the PS4 OS but then I will lose all my saves, correct? Is there any way to access my saves and make a back up of them before I try? I don't have PS plus so I had no cloud saves.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

ToxicToast posted:

I don't have PS plus

Yes, you're probably hosed and this was the real mistake you made in all of that.

Seriously... PS+ pays for itself like 10 times over, there is literally no reason to NOT have it other than being a stubborn rear end who refuses to pay for a utility service because :arghfist::downs: reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

veni veni veni posted:

half of me still suspects Sony was planning on doing the exact same thing and decided to just say they didn't after the horrible reception to the Xbox one announcement.

I kinda doubt it, because that response video wouldn't have come out quite as fast as it did. Then again; "299".