Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Luke Cage has been fun so far (6 eps in), whoever said it wasn't good is a dummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

GobiasIndustries posted:

Luke Cage has been fun so far (6 eps in), whoever said it wasn't good is a dummy.

Let us know how you feel later

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GobiasIndustries posted:

We need to frame this post.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Even if it turns to complete poo poo, I've enjoyed it so far and wouldn't count it as a waste of time :shrug:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GobiasIndustries posted:

Even if it turns to complete poo poo, I've enjoyed it so far and wouldn't count it as a waste of time :shrug:

I don't actually hate the second half, it's just kind of a misfire. I had issues with the show leading into it and they get exacerbated.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Arist posted:

I don't actually hate the second half, it's just kind of a misfire. I had issues with the show leading into it and they get exacerbated.

I've gone into every Netflix Marvel show basically blind. I read a ton of comics growing up but almost entirely mainstream stuff (xmen, spiderman, batman mostly). Luke Cage, Jessica Jones & Iron Fist are all totally new to me (and Daredevil, thought I had an idea of him before the show started) so I really have 0 expectations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't know why the Netflix shows are so mediocre when Legion can be so unexpected and surprising while still being fun on a basic cable network. I actually have higher hopes for the X-Men show on Fox but it will probably be poo poo.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So have we reached the stage in revisionist history where because Iron Fist is bad now everything before Iron Fist was bad?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know why the Netflix shows are so mediocre when Legion can be so unexpected and surprising while still being fun on a basic cable network. I actually have higher hopes for the X-Men show on Fox but it will probably be poo poo.

Legion holds up? I watched the first episode and loved it, but I haven't had a ton of time to watch TV and it seems like a show where you really need to pay attention so I've let it pile up on my dvr

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rarity posted:

So have we reached the stage in revisionist history where because Iron Fist is bad now everything before Iron Fist was bad?

People have been complaining about the other shows for a long time, but now they have an actual excuse.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has John C McGintley been in anything after Scrubs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A few episodes of Burn Notice, Ground Floor for 2 seasons, and a few movies. Right now he's in Stan vs. Evil or whatever it's called.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
He's the lead in IFC show Stan Against Evil and was one of the leads of TBS multicam Ground Floor.

also the Marvel Netflix shows were always bad

also I never got into old Samurai Jack but this new season is one of the prettiest things of all time

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rarity posted:

As far as Jessica Jones and Daredevil goes they aren't bad, but they aren't great either. They are just good shows especially since they drag out about 4 episodes worth of plot to 13 episodes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mu Zeta posted:

As far as Jessica Jones and Daredevil goes they aren't bad, but they aren't great either. They are just good shows especially since they drag out about 4 episodes worth of plot to 13 episodes.

I wish people would stop loving saying this

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why? It's 100% true. This isn't even me doing a bit, that's a completely valid criticism.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Arist posted:

I wish people would stop loving saying this

It's my honest belief since several of the episodes are boring as gently caress.

After all the build up in Jessica Jones how did she end up solving the problem?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

Rarity posted:

I enjoyed Iron Fist a lot more than the second half of Luke Cage.
I don't think any of the shows are actively bad, but I think overall there is a lot of unwarranted hype around them because it's Marvel. They are all decent shows, but they could be a lot better (by cutting 5 episodes out of every season).

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

HorseRenoir posted:

I haven't watched any of the Marvel Netflix stuff since I dropped Jessica Jones halfway through and nothing I've heard since then has given me the impression that I'm missing anything.

also holy poo poo this is some of the worst action directing I've seen in a while

Hahah, jesus christ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Scrubs went on for too long huh?

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Oh yeah, I don't know why they didn't spend more money on the fight scenes in Iron Fist. They are all pretty unimpressive. There's also not that many of them to be honest.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Escobarbarian posted:

Why? It's 100% true. This isn't even me doing a bit, that's a completely valid criticism.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil had more than four episodes of plot, obviously, but it also conflates "plot" with "forward progress," as if a television show is an engine that must constantly move forward or it's broken. JJ takes diversions that are relevant to what it's trying to say or gently caress, even just for the sake of it. The primary issue with these shows isn't that they're too long, it's that they don't move fast enough. You could tell much better stories, even within 13 episodes, if the pacing was ramped up massively. I'm mainly annoyed that people consistently complain that the episode orders are too long as if the showrunners can't just write more story. People say Jessica Jones should have ended at episode 10 but the simple fact is the arc of the show wasn't done yet at that point, and while the storytelling to continue it from there was a bit sloppy cutting it down wouldn't have fixed that.

Mu Zeta posted:

It's my honest belief since several of the episodes are boring as gently caress.

After all the build up in Jessica Jones how did she end up solving the problem?

This isn't even the same complaint, and it ignores the context of why the problem can suddenly be solved in that way in the first place. Sometimes characters haven't finished their arcs and thus cannot solve their problems in the most expedient way. What you're suggesting they do would be way more boring and anticlimactic.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Rarity posted:

I mean I was complaining about the dialog in Jessica Jones from the beginning, so I think it's more people feeling emboldened now that everyone else is talking about how a Marvel show sucks.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

The problem essentially isn't the episode order number, it's that they can't get writers who can actually fill it worth a drat. I feel DD s1 did the best job overall but it was very much elevated by DeKnight understanding the type of show he was making and being very good at making that show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh Snapple! posted:

The problem essentially isn't the episode order number, it's that they can't get writers who can actually fill it worth a drat.

Basically. People keep saying this even when it makes no sense, like with Luke Cage. The "too many episodes" complaint there suggests that the writers were forced into a dilemma by only being able to fill half a season, but that's ridiculous. It's way more likely that they simply had an idea for the season to have two distinct halves, and the second one just didn't work very well.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Basically. People keep saying this even when it makes no sense, like with Luke Cage. The "too many episodes" complaint there suggests that the writers were forced into a dilemma by only being able to fill half a season, but that's ridiculous. It's way more likely that they simply had an idea for the season to have two distinct halves, and the second one just didn't work very well.

I feel DD s2 fits into this as well. The problem isn't a lack of content for 13 episodes, the problem is that the show basically has two halves: the Punisher-dominated first half, and the Hand-dominated second half. And boy is that second half not a good one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

A lot of people seem to like the ninja stuff. All the poo poo with Elektra and ninjas shoudl have been excised. I know it's part of the core Daredevil lore but the only reason that stuff was put it was because they needed filler.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm more or less fine with it, though it's not the strongest material. I liked Elektra a lot.

Though hilariously, in Iron Fist they get rid of it entirely

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Arist posted:

Jessica Jones and Daredevil had more than four episodes of plot, obviously, but it also conflates "plot" with "forward progress," as if a television show is an engine that must constantly move forward or it's broken. JJ takes diversions that are relevant to what it's trying to say or gently caress, even just for the sake of it. The primary issue with these shows isn't that they're too long, it's that they don't move fast enough. You could tell much better stories, even within 13 episodes, if the pacing was ramped up massively. I'm mainly annoyed that people consistently complain that the episode orders are too long as if the showrunners can't just write more story. People say Jessica Jones should have ended at episode 10 but the simple fact is the arc of the show wasn't done yet at that point, and while the storytelling to continue it from there was a bit sloppy cutting it down wouldn't have fixed that.

The problem with Jessica Jones is that the story they had couldn't sustain itself for a full season, and instead of breaking things up with a b-plot or smaller mini-arcs, they decided to stretch out the Kilgrave story by adding all sorts of stops and starts and fake-outs to artificially lengthen what should have been a tight, short thriller. There are a lot of moments where characters make ridiculously stupid decisions because the writers painted themselves into a corner and realized that they couldn't let the villain be caught before the season finale. The longer that show went on, the less compelling or likable any of the characters became because it was getting clear that the writers were bending over backwards to wallpaper over the plot's massive structural problems.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Arist posted:

Though hilariously, in Iron Fist they get rid of it entirely

They keep on talking about how the Hand are ninjas, and occasionally have ninja-ish outfits but I think the main issue is that the show-runner seems to be stuck in an "all asians are the same" mindset

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm assuming the ninjas are the main villains for the Defenders show so they are probably saving it for that

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I know this is the general chat thread and all, but if you guys want to keep going on so long about the Marvel Netflix shows there is a thread dedicated to just that.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

That should come with a seizure warning.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I don't know how surprising it is when Legion is created by Noah Hawley who through two seasons of Fargo has proven his track record.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

X-O posted:

I know this is the general chat thread and all, but if you guys want to keep going on so long about the Marvel Netflix shows there is a thread dedicated to just that.

This isn't general chat, it's couch chat. I personally have a very nice sectional that I ironically don't lay on facing the TV with my legs up, but instead lay on the couch part looking sideways.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm a hell of a lot more excited for how Gifted will turn out than I am the Defenders.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

I don't know how surprising it is when Legion is created by Noah Hawley who through two seasons of Fargo has proven his track record.

I lost that post in the other stuff but yeah, it's this. Legion is good because Noah Hawley knows what the gently caress he's doing and has consistently proven it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
This Carla has horrible post partum depression plot line is surprisingly dark and gruesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

muscles like this! posted:

I just think it's funny that a show on an online only service is more conventionally boring than on FX.

• Locked thread