Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Yes! Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

DumbparameciuM posted:

Let us not forget the controversial LF by Gay Talese, The Voyeurs Motel. Roman à Clefs are okay ITT right?

Controversial because he says he witnessed (and maybe caused) a murder, or because the whole thing is prescription-strength STDH.txt?

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Avshalom posted:

the child exchange a multi-part investigation into online groups where parents sell off their adopted children that haven't worked out to people who don't want to shell out cash to do the whole adoption process themselves. you know how you adopt a dog, but it pees on your floor, so you palm it off to someone else? like that, but with humans! :nms: for sexual abuse and general horror, but it's an excellent piece of journalism.

Seconding this one. Read this if you're interested in learning about a gray market trafficking ring you never knew could exist, let alone in America, but definitely skip it if you don't want to spend the next day or two hating humanity.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

RNG posted:

The Crossing Reaaaally long (33 parts) article about the worst traffic accident in Colorado history (a train striking a school bus). It goes into the stories of everyone affected both then and now; kind of a tearjerker.

That piece is amazing. And really awful in that many of the families kept suffering tragedies.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I'm trying to work my way through most of the articles linked here, but I won't be able to read The Crossing. Back in 2006, when I lived with my family, a van full of my stepsisters' classmates was in between a school bus and a semi; the truck driver fell asleep at the wheel. All seven children and teens in the van were killed and I can't remember offhand if anyone in the bus was injured. This was just months after my stepsisters' mother's girlfriend killed herself.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Controversial because he says he witnessed (and maybe caused) a murder, or because the whole thing is prescription-strength STDH.txt?

Both. Still a fun read, but it reads about as truthfully as Fay Resnick's book about Nicole Brown Simpson.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Here's one of my favorites about 2 Ukrainian brothers, both famous mathematicians, and their quest to solve for as many digits of Pi as possible

The Mountains of Pi

Pron on VHS has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Mar 16, 2017

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

RC and Moon Pie posted:

That piece is amazing. And really awful in that many of the families kept suffering tragedies.
To cap it off, pretty much right after the final parts of The Crossing were published, the parts that included this:

quote:

Duane Harms decides he wants to write something to sum up his thoughts about that fatal day he drove his school bus onto the crossing. Something about the 45 years that have since passed. Something that will answer the questions that never go away. It's a warm evening in Southern California. He gets out a pencil and a yellow notepad with a blue cover. He prints very neatly.

I was hoping against hope that the bus accident would not be brought up before the public attention. For the most part I wish that it not be done. It's sad that most news on T.V. and newspapers is not good. Right after the accident I was in such shock and sadden that I didn't really know what to do. The family and friends had to go through great sorrow and were very burdened, it was a very sad time. I'm really sorry. I just wish that I had offered more condolences, sympathy, thoughts and prayers to all.

He starts another paragraph, repeating the sentiment he expressed in 1961, one that fostered respect from many people.

I would have been willing to have died in order that one or all could have lived. I would also have been willing to do jail time.

He is halfway down the page now.

The children were all real good kids. Sometimes at recess when I was at Delta School, I'd join them in playing ball. I appreciate all the people that helped in the time of need. Thank you. It's good to hear that some of the people that I knew back then are now successful and doing well. Things happen that seem to be unfair. I believe that there is a almighty Lord God up above that all of us can turn to.

Only four more blank lines remain. He writes two more sentences.

People may wonder how I'm doing now. I'm OK.

Duane
...Harms was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and died a few months later.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Apraxin posted:

To cap it off, pretty much right after the final parts of The Crossing were published, the parts that included this:

...Harms was diagnosed with a brain tumor, and died a few months later.

Jesus :smith:

I got a bit teary at that article, especially when it talked about the really little kids, the 6 year olds, that died, and the families that lost all their children, and the family who had more children die in accidents later, but that. The poor guy. He lived with that accident his whole life. He was twenty loving three years old.

e: His wife ended up severely mentally ill. Duane cared for her alone for at least a decade. His only daughter, Lynda, who was 3 weeks old when the school bus accident happened, was injured in a car accident at 18-19, and subsequently developed some unspecified mental illness that meant she rarely left home. I guess he cared for her too. I can't even imagine.

eating only apples has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Mar 16, 2017

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/#chapter1

Laywer power-couple plants drugs in a school PTA president's car as revenge over some perceived slight. This backfires, and the power couple loses everything.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

A few of my favorites have been posted already, but here is the story of The Estonia. I could read this article again and again and it would still have the same effect.
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2004/05/a-sea-story/302940/

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Ready! Set! Blow! posted:

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-framed/#chapter1

Laywer power-couple plants drugs in a school PTA president's car as revenge over some perceived slight. This backfires, and the power couple loses everything.
this story is loving hilarious, the woman is completely insane and just keeps doubling down long past the point of reason. and now her weak-as-piss ex-husband can't get another girlfriend because prospective partners google him and find the whole sordid tale lol

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Does anyone have any other good pieces about 9/11? That Politico oral history has made me want to go back down that incredibly depressing memory lane.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

This is a Guardian longread article that appeared today

What will happen when the Queen dies

I found it morbidly fascinating as it's going to happen soon and this article details the sheer amount of planning that is involved and also talks about the psychological impact to be expected.
It also mentions that this hasn't been done since 1952 and there are not many people alive with actual experience of this type of event.

Helith has a new favorite as of 13:49 on Mar 16, 2017

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
An American Void: Stephanie McCrummen in the Washington Post: A look at the residents of the trailer where Dylan Roof hung out before committing mass murder (Joey Meek and family mostly). Found this fascinating especially as, in contrast to such a shocking crime, a lot of it is fairly banal. Interesting to reread post-hillbilly elegy being flavour of the month.

The Lost Girls of Panama: The Full Story: Jeremy Kryt in Daily Beast: Deep dive into the story of two young Dutch tourists who went missing hiking in Panama. A recovered digital camera with lots of photos and signal logs from a phone gives the whole thing a really creepy urban-legend/found-footage kind of vibe, and the story looks into whether or not they were victims of a crime or if it was just a tragic accident.

Was going to post Framed, but someone beat me to it. That's some good (crazy) poo poo.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
The Blow It All Up Billionaires: A bunch of billionaires sat out this election (think Koch bros) and this new team came in. Their whole goal is to dismantle the US as we know it using their money and power.

Steve Bannon Used To Invest in World of Warcraft Gold (Goes About As Well As You Expect: Title pretty much says it all, Trump adviser used to invest in WoW gold farming.

Flaggy has a new favorite as of 15:01 on Mar 17, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jayme posted:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/09/07/trial-by-fire

Cameron Todd Willingham was arrested and sent to death row for committing arson; however, researchers reviewing the evidence find that he was likely innocent after all.

Jesus, this is rough. The article is from 2009. Did anything else ever come of this?

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus, this is rough. The article is from 2009. Did anything else ever come of this?

Yea I wouldn't google him if I were you.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Not a longform, but this seems to be the current state of affairs: Justice Deferred Basically, the prosecutor made a deal with the main witness (the jailhouse informant, aka the only one to claim that Willingham confessed while in prison) to lessen the witness's sentence, presumably in return for testifying; however, he never disclosed that deal to anyone on the defense's side, or indeed to anyone. The prosecutor's facing disciplinary charges for that and some other underhanded poo poo he pulled, but the worst he'll likely face is disbarment if the jury finds against him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Does the auditory equivalent of a longform count? The podcast You Must Remember This has an incredible series called Charles Manson's Hollywood that's effectively a multi-part longform on the culture surrounding the Manson Family and the crimes they committed. Very highly recommended listening.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/?category=CharlesManson%27sHollywood

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Fractured Lands: How the Arab World Came Apart by Scott Anderson is a 5-part series about the Middle East and Northern Africa from 2001 to the present, told through the stories of 6 individuals - a Kurdish urologist and peshmerga fighter, an Egyptian dissident, an Iraqi women's activist, a Syrian college student trapped in Homs, a Libyan Air Force cadet, and an Iraqi ISIS gunman.

After reading this piece last year I went out and bought and enjoyed Anderson's book about the disappearance of Fred Cuny in Chechnya called The Man Who Tried to Save the World, which itself reads like a long longform piece.

soylon has a new favorite as of 23:23 on Mar 17, 2017

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

soundsection posted:

http://reprints.longform.org/angels-demons

"On June 4, 1989, the bodies of Jo, Michelle and Christe were found floating in Tampa Bay. This is the story of the murders, their aftermath, and the handful of people who kept faith amid the unthinkable."

Fair warning, this is one of the most horrifying things I have read.

It took me about 3 hours to get through this. Sweet Jesus, what an awful, terrible story.

Here's a postscript: Oba Chandler was finally executed in 2011.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

New York Times series on the girls basketball team of Carroll Academy, an alternative school in Tennessee. It hits a little close at times when your own hometown isn't far removed at all from this situation:
It Ain't About the Record, Court-ordered basketball and no fans, 'Bad Decisions, Good Intentions. And a follow-up of sorts, That's as Bad as It Gets.

The Innocent Man. A two-part Texas Monthly article on Michael Morton, convicted in 1987 of killing his wife and the legal struggle to prove his innocence.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Alaois posted:

Does the auditory equivalent of a longform count? The podcast You Must Remember This has an incredible series called Charles Manson's Hollywood that's effectively a multi-part longform on the culture surrounding the Manson Family and the crimes they committed. Very highly recommended listening.

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes/?category=CharlesManson%27sHollywood

Can't recommend this podcast more - it's mostly within a longform-esque series and the host does her work and then some.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Ian Frazier - Travels in Siberia I, Travels in Siberia II.

"I have been in mosquito swarms in beaver meadows in northern Michigan, in boreal wetlands in Canada, and near Alaska’s Yukon River. Western Siberia has more. On calm and sultry evenings as we busied ourselves around the camp, mosquitoes came at us as if shot from a fire hose."

Mister Mind has a new favorite as of 10:04 on Mar 18, 2017

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.
http://fusion.net/story/287592/internet-mapping-glitch-kansas-farm/

A digital mapping company assigns its "default" location for the United States at a point near, but not right at, the geographical center of the U.S. This point happens to be in someone's front yard, and turns their lives into absolute hell.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Mind posted:

Ian Frazier - Travels in Siberia I, Travels in Siberia II.

"I have been in mosquito swarms in beaver meadows in northern Michigan, in boreal wetlands in Canada, and near Alaska’s Yukon River. Western Siberia has more. On calm and sultry evenings as we busied ourselves around the camp, mosquitoes came at us as if shot from a fire hose."

fyi the first one is a dead link

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Your Gay Uncle posted:

fyi the first one is a dead link

If you amend the first URL using the format of the second you can see that it should be:

Part 1: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/08/03/travels-in-siberia-i

Part 2: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/08/10/travels-in-siberia-ii

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
NYT has a good two-parter on the horrifying consequences of permission being given for no-knock SWAT raids for increasingly minor crimes:
Part 1: Door-Busting Drug Raids Leave a Trail of Blood
Part 2: Murder or Self-Defense if Officer Is Killed in Raid?

quote:

For the most part, governments at all levels have chosen not to quantify the toll by requiring reporting on SWAT operations. But The Times’s investigation, which relied on dozens of open-record requests and thousands of pages from police and court files, found that at least 81 civilians and 13 law enforcement officers died in such raids from 2010 through 2016. Scores of others were maimed or wounded.

The casualties have occurred in the execution of no-knock warrants, which give the police prior judicial authority to force entry without notice, as well as warrants that require the police to knock and announce themselves before breaking down doors. Often, there is little difference.

Innocents have died in attacks on wrong addresses, including a 7-year-old girl in Detroit, and collaterally as the police pursued other residents, among them a 68-year-old grandfather in Framingham, Mass. Stray bullets have whizzed through neighboring homes, and in dozens of instances the victims of police gunfire have included the family dog.

Search warrant raids account for a small share of the nearly 1,000 fatalities each year in officer-involved shootings. But what distinguishes them from other risky interactions between the police and citizens, like domestic disputes, hostage-takings and confrontations with mentally ill people, is that they are initiated by law enforcement.

While the officers are typically seeking narcotics, there also have been deaths and serious injuries when warrants were served on people suspected of running illegal poker games, brewing moonshine and neglecting pets. In 2011, officers in Marine City, Mich., conducted a dynamic-entry raid to serve a search warrant for “any and all evidence pertaining to graffiti including but not limited to, spray paint containers, markers, notebooks, and photographs.” After forcing residents to the floor at gunpoint, they found nothing, according to depositions by the residents.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

fits posted:

‘We’re the Only Plane in the Sky’, an oral history of the confusion and chaos in the hours after 9/11 and where Bush's staff took him to the safest place they could think of: in Air Force One, with American airspace completely shut down

On a related note, here's a long piece that details the 11th of September, 2001 minute by minute: http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/terrorism/september_11/. Possibly :nws: - the page itself is safe, but it is from rotten.com, after all.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
jimmy breslin died. heres a thing he wrote

Digging JFK's Grave

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Riot Baby, about the life of a boy who was born during the LA riots and the changes in the city afterwards. I wonder every so often where all the people in this story are now.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
This is a really awesome series of articles on Trinity, its author, as well as Infocom, and the history of the atomic bomb.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Alaois posted:

I started listening to this tonight and it's really nicely put together.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

EightDeer posted:

On a related note, here's a long piece that details the 11th of September, 2001 minute by minute: http://www.rotten.com/library/crime/terrorism/september_11/. Possibly :nws: - the page itself is safe, but it is from rotten.com, after all.

Ehh, some of this borders on :tinfoil: and loose change territory. You're better off reading Wikipedia's timeline to be honest.

If you want a super long read about 9/11 that's readable but informative, the 9/11 commission report is pretty thorough.

https://9-11commission.gov/report/

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

JPrime posted:

This is a really awesome series of articles on Trinity, its author, as well as Infocom, and the history of the atomic bomb.

Thanks for this.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Bamabalacha posted:

Does anyone have any other good pieces about 9/11? That Politico oral history has made me want to go back down that incredibly depressing memory lane.
It's not 100% on topic for this thread, but if you want to relive the experience of 9/11 there's a playlist on youtube that's just the entirety of ABC's news coverage from just before the attacks up to three or four days later.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a Texas Monthly article about the serial killer Dean Corll (and his two teenage accomplices) and the massively botched investigation by the Houston PD.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/the-lost-boys/

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The Man Who Broke the Music Business, about the CD factory worker who helped leak most of the major albums of the 2000's.

I also enjoy the A.V. Club's Oral Histories, which range from the movie Airplane!, to the construction of the Double Dare obstacles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Tom Wolfe wrote about Manhattan elites and the Black Panthers, way back in 1970. How can you have black servants when you are having radical black guests is just one of the dilemmas facing the better-class hostess.

http://nymag.com/docs/07/05/070529radical_chic.pdf