Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Ranter posted:

Speaking from experience keto is more effective and better for you if you eat some vegetables too. Helps with the pooping too. Do you get your dense greens in when not drunkenly craving?

Yeah, I'd normally put up a side of sprouts, broccoli, spinach or what have you but as you say, drunken cravings don't cover green things. I've gotten to a stage where roasted brussel sprouts taste better to me than fries!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallendragoness
Mar 10, 2017

Theophany posted:

Yeah, I'd normally put up a side of sprouts, broccoli, spinach or what have you but as you say, drunken cravings don't cover green things. I've gotten to a stage where roasted brussel sprouts taste better to me than fries!

Have you tried http://keviniscooking.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-balsamic-vinegar-honey/ ?

This is my favorite recipe for Brussels sprouts chips ever. Do you have other recipes you use for the Brussels sprouts? They're so good, I love learning new recipes for them!

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Turkey sandwiches with leftover Kenji's 3-ingredient mac

Turkey tenderloins marinated in dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, black pepper, and a smashed roasted garlic clove, browned in oil on a skillet and finished in the oven.

Sandwich: toasted bread, melted swiss, layer of turkey, arugula, roasted garlic mayo (12 cloves garlic roasted, then blended with 1 cup mayo, 1 tsp Worcestershire, 1 Tbsp lemon juice)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Fallendragoness posted:

Have you tried http://keviniscooking.com/roasted-brussels-sprouts-balsamic-vinegar-honey/ ?

This is my favorite recipe for Brussels sprouts chips ever. Do you have other recipes you use for the Brussels sprouts? They're so good, I love learning new recipes for them!

That looks pretty sweet - I'll have to give it a try! Normally I just coat with olive oil and salt and roast. The other veggie I've started to prefer roasted is mushrooms plus there's the added benefit of it producing what is basically mushroom stock, which you can refrigerate and use some other time for a soup or whatnot.

kumba posted:

Turkey sandwiches with leftover Kenji's 3-ingredient mac

Turkey tenderloins marinated in dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, black pepper, and a smashed roasted garlic clove, browned in oil on a skillet and finished in the oven.

Sandwich: toasted bread, melted swiss, layer of turkey, arugula, roasted garlic mayo (12 cloves garlic roasted, then blended with 1 cup mayo, 1 tsp Worcestershire, 1 Tbsp lemon juice)

That is the type of doorstop sandwiching that is highly commendable.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what doorstop sandwiching means, but thanks :)

Now I need to figure out what to do with the rest of this garlic mayo. Think I might make some fries this weekend for dipping

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Doorstop sandwiches, like the slices of bread are so thick you could use them as doorstops. I guess a more widely used term would be 'manwiches' :)

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Fallendragoness posted:

I quarter them and put them in a baking dish with melted butter, honey, chopped garlic and balsamic vinegar and roast for 30 mins. I made them on Wednesday night and had Trader Joe's Gorgonzola gnocchi as a second side dish.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Breakfast... eggs poached in salsa verde on corn tortillas. So satisying.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
You poached the eggs in salsa verde? Did you make the salsa from scratch?

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Phil Moscowitz posted:

You poached the eggs in salsa verde? Did you make the salsa from scratch?

Nah, I used the rest of a store bought jar I had. Tomatillos are impossible to find around here.

Heated the salsa, cracked the eggs into it, let them shallow poach... like what you'd do with shakshuka.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Together breakfast this morning! Blueberry buttermilk waffles before being topped with butter and syrup and served alongside bacon and coffee

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Beef Goulash

Beef Filet, Date Labneh, Blackberry Sauce, Peanut Crumble, Duck Fat Fries

Stir-Fried Tofu with Broccoli, Black Rice

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Toast.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Looks pretty good to me

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

My first attempt at bagels. Was pretty happy with how they turned out, would bagel again.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kittenmittons posted:

My first attempt at bagels. Was pretty happy with how they turned out, would bagel again.

Recipe and complexity? Been thinking about doing this, just not sure it's worth the effort or not.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Recipe and complexity? Been thinking about doing this, just not sure it's worth the effort or not.

Used this recipe from ChefSteps.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/soft-chewy-bagels-from-scratch

As for complexity, it's not really as bad as it looks. It's a two-day process, but like a lot of bread recipes most of the time is just waiting around for the yeast to do its thing.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Kung pao tofu, braised eggplant in garlic sauce, ginger bok choy

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emotive posted:

Kung pao tofu, braised eggplant in garlic sauce, ginger bok choy

Wow. I'd love to have the recipes you used for all of these, if it's not too much of a PITA to provide. I love bok choy but I've only ever used it as an ingredient in stir fry or soup, never as the star.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

theres a will theres moe posted:

Wow. I'd love to have the recipes you used for all of these, if it's not too much of a PITA to provide. I love bok choy but I've only ever used it as an ingredient in stir fry or soup, never as the star.

Sure.

Kung Pao (just subbed tofu for the chicken... i baked mine first to get it crispy): http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/
Eggplant (didn't have the pickled root so I omitted it and the tofu): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/braised-eggplant-with-tofu-in-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

The bok choy I just blanched and then quickly stir fried with a little light soy, minced ginger and a pinch of white pepper.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sous vide ribs

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

emotive posted:

Sure.

Kung Pao (just subbed tofu for the chicken... i baked mine first to get it crispy): http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/cooking/
Eggplant (didn't have the pickled root so I omitted it and the tofu): http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/braised-eggplant-with-tofu-in-garlic-sauce-recipe.html

The bok choy I just blanched and then quickly stir fried with a little light soy, minced ginger and a pinch of white pepper.

Nice! Thanks! I'm excited to try that kung pao. Good excuse to buy some unusual ingredients as well.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

kittenmittons posted:

Used this recipe from ChefSteps.

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/soft-chewy-bagels-from-scratch

As for complexity, it's not really as bad as it looks. It's a two-day process, but like a lot of bread recipes most of the time is just waiting around for the yeast to do its thing.

Awesome thanks-now to see if diastatic malt power and malt syrup is available at the grocery store.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Wiener Schnitzel and fries with mushroom gravy, I was trying to replicate this dish I got once at a german truck stop / motel in the early 2000s

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

His Divine Shadow posted:

Wiener Schnitzel and fries with mushroom gravy, I was trying to replicate this dish I got once at a german truck stop / motel in the early 2000s

If there's a sauce/gravy I think it's called Jäger schnitzel, though if you actually used veal like a proper wiener schnitzel and not pork then I'm not so sure. Did you shallow fry it in butter/clarified butter?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I used butter and pork, that's the most common meat for schnitzels over here in Finland anyway. The stuff I ate there was pork too I am pretty sure.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ya so that's jäger schnitzel, pork with a sauce.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
An entire tray of wings that me and my buddy who I hadn't seen in a while ate most of in one very drunken night. Coated in cajun seasoning beforehand and then the sauce was from a recipe someone gave me that has barbecue sauce, sriracha, honey, and lime. Turned out incredibly tasty and unreasonably messy. I like a well cooked and plated meal served in reasonable portions as much as the next guy, but sometimes you're just in the mood for a pile of meat on a paper plate.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Double post from the charcuterie thread

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Double post from the charcuterie thread

And with homemade katz style deli (or so the recipe claims)

uh you're missing some meat in that sammich I think. Put about twenty more slices in there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Phil Moscowitz posted:

uh you're missing some meat in that sammich I think. Put about twenty more slices in there.

I just don't like that extreme american bread to meat ratio so I don't do that when I make my own, I like to taste the bread and other condiments and as they all meld in my mouth. If I'd eat that much meat in one sitting I might as well just skip the bread.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Girlfriend was feeling a bit under the weather today so I cooked us up some 13oz ribeyes. Quick one minute sear in a ripping hot pan followed by 90 mins at 100'c and basting with butter. The fuckers were so tender.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Polenta cakes with (very) roasted eggplant, red pepper and carrot... poached egg on top.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Simple scrambled tofu and black bean breakfast burritos. Almost vegan, except cheddar was necessary. First attempt at scrambling tofu; I just used garlic, cumin and turmeric plus an onion and the peppers. Could've done with salt and pepper, which I forgot to put in somehow, and maybe a touch of salsa. Put a bit of onion, garlic, and chipotle in the beans. I would definitely scramble some tofu again!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Theophany posted:

Girlfriend was feeling a bit under the weather today so I cooked us up some 13oz ribeyes. Quick one minute sear in a ripping hot pan followed by 90 mins at 100'c and basting with butter. The fuckers were so tender.

The steaks look good! Was she able to enjoy it?

I'm seeing this a bit lately, where people taking care of significant others are cooking really rich food. Steaks and burgers are fine when you're well, but sick people generally need easy-to-digest, light foods. Brothy soups, toast with no or little butter, rice, light veggies, ect.

However, if a sick person wants a steak, and you love them (and there's no doctor's orders against it), you give them a steak.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

emotive posted:

Sure.

I've stir fried bok choy before and it just made it weird and squishy (no idea how). What's the best way to stir fry it? Chop it up fine?

Also, any tips for cooking yu choy/mustard greens? I've never managed to get those down right.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Suspect Bucket posted:

The steaks look good! Was she able to enjoy it?

I'm seeing this a bit lately, where people taking care of significant others are cooking really rich food. Steaks and burgers are fine when you're well, but sick people generally need easy-to-digest, light foods. Brothy soups, toast with no or little butter, rice, light veggies, ect.

However, if a sick person wants a steak, and you love them (and there's no doctor's orders against it), you give them a steak.

Yeah she was, thankfully her being under the weather was basically she'd screamed her guts out the night before at a friend's birthday and wasn't able to talk. It was a blessed relief for my ears, but her throat was so sore a buttery steak was probably the best medicine!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I made some seitan tacos.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hail seitan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
My wife got home today after being away for a week and a half, which is the longest we'd been apart since we started dating.

I made beef short rib ravioli!
Egg, flour, olive oil dough
Braised the short rib for 5 hours with mushroom, onion, beef broth, and white wine, then after it cooled I drained it and added marscapone and asiago - that was my filling.
Then I made a mushroom and marsala cream sauce to serve it in.

Turned out pretty goddamn delicious. Welcome home :)