Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Why do we need asian versions of western super heroes when asians have anime?

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

where the gently caress do they pull these comic book characters out of

Why are there thousands of them that all of a sudden you get 3-4 people in every thread knowing their entire backstory
They insert extras into main series to gauge interest, then for the ones that work out they branch out into their own series. Even if you're a stickler about just following a couple characters you like, they tend to force you to dabble in and out of other story arcs due to crossover material/collab works that is relevant/cannon for that iteration of whatever character you're following so you basically can't get away from following the entire universe.

Source: I never was into comics myself but did date someone who liked robin a lot.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
where the gently caress are the pictures

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

skeletonotherkin posted:

They whitewashed ghost in the shell it's only fair

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The real superman is the firemen and emts who responded to the 9/11 attacks

🎵And I'm now proud to administer narcan!🎵
🎵To my fellow white junkyyyyys🎵

:fsmug:

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Turns out superman plays the oboe

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying Netflix Marvel's Iron Fist. I've liked all of them so far!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Give her back, Rex Ruther!

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Teri Hatcher is A+ trim

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

skeletonotherkin posted:

superman could beat up goku

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

lizardman posted:

Anyone feel like if Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman were to premiere on TV today there'd be HuffPo pieces about how groundbreaking it is to have an Asian American Supreman and there' be Fox News pieces about how Hollywood is trying to ram this diversity poo poo down our throats and there'd be counter blog posts on Salon and the like how the Asian Superman doesn't really count because he's only part Asian and how racist Hollywood is for not getting an actual Asian actor to be Superman and there'd be counter think pieces about how dare you try to erase a mixed-race Hapa individual's ethnicity like that and then counter-counter opinion articles about how terrible it is that others are reappropriating the term "Hapa" only Hawaiians can use that term and then...

But in the 90s it was just sort of like "hey Clark Kent is tanner than usual" and everything was chill.

No, because Lois & Clark was literally the most generic cheesy daytime soap opera that aired primetime and had Superman for some odd reason. No one watched it except for your middle-aged parents, so not like anyone cared to write about it or discuss it. It wasn't funny bad like Smallville either, but was just plain bad and forgettable.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

hey i wanted to say if you are a grownup who cares about a show called "iron fist" would you wrap your lips around the muffler of a running car please?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

hey i wanted to say if you are a grownup who cares about a show called "iron fist" would you wrap your lips around the muffler of a running car please?

i dont care about iron fist but i do want to die

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor SJW posted:

i dont care about iron fist but i do want to die

do you own or lease a car?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Russian Superman was best Superman

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Um, I believe the correct term is "Choujin",

Once upon a time we had to ship Supermen to Japan, for crying out loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWo4e3yKYu0

Blue Train posted:

Is he the guy with the yellow mask and green outfit? Cause I don't know poo poo about comics or whatever outside of what my son watches and if it's who I'm thinking of he's def white

You're thinking of Naruto, the other blond, white martial arts guy. That or Great Saiyaman.
Believe it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Iron Fist isn't that good but its not any worse than the other netflix shows, I don't know why this is so dramatically bad all of a sudden when they're all 4 episodes too long and kinda boring in parts. People are acting like its a massive drop in quality and I dunno they're all pretty mediocre, at least iron fist doesn't take itself deadly seriously like Daredevil

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

do you own or lease a car?

i'm going to tie a rope around my neck, the other end around a light pole, get in my truck and buckle my seatbelt and hit the gas

thats my cool suicide plan pls do not steal

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rex Ruthor

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Hector Beerlioz posted:

:colbert:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor SJW posted:

i'm going to tie a rope around my neck, the other end around a light pole, get in my truck and buckle my seatbelt and hit the gas

thats my cool suicide plan pls do not steal

that IS pretty cool, though. what if you launched the truck off a ramp... a flaming ramp?

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

that IS pretty cool, though. what if you launched the truck off a ramp... a flaming ramp?

over a pit filled with tigers? way ahead of you

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ohh nohh Klyptonite.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was never a comic book guy, and have maybe owned a total of three or four since childhood. I did have a job with a lot of downtime and I would kill time reading Wikipedia, and there is a poo poo-ton of pages on comic books. I spent untold hours just clicking my way through the Marvel universe on Wikipedia, so am better-versed in comic book poo poo than I ever intended to be.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I was never a comic book guy, and have maybe owned a total of three or four since childhood. I did have a job with a lot of downtime and I would kill time reading Wikipedia, and there is a poo poo-ton of pages on comic books. I spent untold hours just clicking my way through the Marvel universe on Wikipedia, so am better-versed in comic book poo poo than I ever intended to be.

what did you run out of poo poo to read on the unusual deaths page?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what did you run out of poo poo to read on the unusual deaths page?

It was more a matter of clicking links from one article that led to another article and so on until I was deep in the abyss of comic book lore.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
was expecting something a little more fu manchu. dean cain is 1/4 japanese

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Weird, I just thought he was squinting a lot to activate his x ray vision

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

a bone to pick posted:

I'm liking Iron fist so far but everyone I know and the entire internet hates it

Yeah that's loving crazy. It's kinda second only to DD season 1, and maybe better. Jessica Jones was written by brain damaged middle schoolers, and Luke Cage was such a boring downer. I don't get why everyone is pissed that Netflix finally did a Marvel show that's kind of fun and doesn't have some gloomy goth cutter for a main character.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Kuato posted:

What's this "we" talk? Got a mouse in your pocket?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
in china supermang is very busy

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Oh no, lol

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
I remember Teri Hatcher being pretty hot in that show.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

If superman fought a villain in china shitloads of bystanders would die due to kan re nao.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

The Dennis System posted:

I remember Teri Hatcher being pretty hot in that show.

Yeah she was. I don't know why she later decided it was a good idea to start wearing her skeleton on the outside.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Honky Dong Country posted:

If superman fought a villain in china shitloads of bystanders would die due to kan re nao.

what is kan re nao

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

everyone gets either stringy or fat when they get old. guys like clint eastwood can pull off stringy but women cant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

JiveHonky posted:

what is kan re nao

Huge crowds of people standing around staring slackjawed at a thing. So huge it has a name.

• Locked thread