Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Kazy posted:

How did Danny perm and frost his hair in the monastery?

Chi control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Junkfist posted:

Let's not kill anybody let's just instigate a gang war so that a bunch of people all kill each other

We are very moral characters with strong chi and bushido.

I can't let you kill this man, it will destroy your chi! I'll kill him for you, no biggie. Our heroes, invoking the "Strangers On A Train" theory of karmic deniability.

When they were watching the WWII-era film footage of the previous Iron Fist kicking rear end I thought for a second I was watching The Man In The High Castle. It was like getting a little snippet of a much better version of this show from an alternate universe and it's simultaneously exciting and depressing, watching a wuxia badass flipping the gently caress out and plowing through a dozen ninjas with his awesome glowing fists of kung fu fury, for just a brief moment before we return to the sad reality of the world's mightiest tai chi student and his amazing journey of like, spiritual cleansing 'n whatever.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I would have loved for them to go full-bore with cheesy 70s kung-fu film stuff. Hell, set it in the 70s and have Danny in the Defenders be an older man (or Stick, for that matter, even if they're different characters in the comic) coming back from K'un Lun to fight the Hand when the gate opens again.

I just realized Kung Fu Panda did a better job than this show. Jack Black making fat jokes into a microphone is a more convincing kung fu warrior than Danny.

edit: VVV yeah. it doesn't piss me off as much as the second half of Luke Cage, and it didn't drag as much as Jessica Jones, and it wasn't as disjointed as Daredevil's second season was, but it feels like it never quite got up to steam.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 19, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

McSpanky posted:

When they were watching the WWII-era film footage of the previous Iron Fist kicking rear end I thought for a second I was watching The Man In The High Castle. It was like getting a little snippet of a much better version of this show from an alternate universe and it's simultaneously exciting and depressing, watching a wuxia badass flipping the gently caress out and plowing through a dozen ninjas with his awesome glowing fists of kung fu fury, for just a brief moment before we return to the sad reality of the world's mightiest tai chi student and his amazing journey of like, spiritual cleansing 'n whatever.

They weren't ninjas, they were soldiers.

Also, just finished episode 12. The best parts of this show are the family dynamic of the Joy and Ward and their dad. The fight scenes are like slightly better than CW level, and the whole Danny Rand storyline just feels very confused and directionless and pointless in a way that is outside his in story directionless.

This didn't really feel like an Iron Fist show - if you took out Danny Rand the show would feel pretty much the same.

I feel like this show didn't have to exist. It isn't bad, but it's just...out there.

I don't think Danny was a bad actor, but I think the writing is just absolutely shameful. There's not much anyone can do to save what was written.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 19, 2017

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

How did Finn Jones even pass the preliminary character screenings? I don't think he has the right look for the part, but my main beef is that he just cannot do a convincing martial artist. I'm not even into martial arts movies or anything, and when he is doing exercises and striking karate poses even I can tell he looks goddamn awkward. You expect a sort of grace and fluidity and control of the body that he just does not possess, and I can't imagine that there weren't other actors out there who couldn't do a better job even at the early auditions. Maybe they expected him to get better with training, and he just kept on sucking until it was too late? (Even then, they could have had him lift some goddamn weights at least.) I could buy him as a novice ninja-in-training, but he just cannot pull off a master assassin trained for 15 years in a monastery.

He just looked ridiculous trying to impress Wing and the Hand ninjas, and he's gonna look real silly next to Matt Murdock, too.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 19, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phenotype posted:

How did Finn Jones even pass the preliminary character screenings? I don't think he has the right look for the part, but my main beef is that he just cannot do a convincing martial artist. I'm not even into martial arts movies or anything, and when he is doing exercises and striking karate poses even I can tell he looks goddamn awkward. You expect a sort of grace and fluidity and control of the body that he just does not possess, and I can't imagine that there weren't other actors out there who couldn't do a better job even at the early auditions. Maybe they expected him to get better with training, and he just kept on sucking until it was too late? (Even then, they could have had him lift some goddamn weights at least.)

He just looked ridiculous trying to impress Wing and the Hand ninjas, and he's gonna look real silly next to Matt Murdock, too.

Nah, the actor's fine enough, it's the stunt coordinating and scenework that is just bland. The writing doesn't really have him act like a conflicted fish out of water martial artist. Ep 1 was a very bad Tarzan.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Phenotype posted:

How did Finn Jones even pass the preliminary character screenings? I don't think he has the right look for the part, but my main beef is that he just cannot do a convincing martial artist. I'm not even into martial arts movies or anything, and when he is doing exercises and striking karate poses even I can tell he looks goddamn awkward. You expect a sort of grace and fluidity and control of the body that he just does not possess, and I can't imagine that there weren't other actors out there who couldn't do a better job even at the early auditions. Maybe they expected him to get better with training, and he just kept on sucking until it was too late? (Even then, they could have had him lift some goddamn weights at least.) I could buy him as a novice ninja-in-training, but he just cannot pull off a master assassin trained for 15 years in a monastery.

He goes way back with Henwick and probably did some great scenes with her for one.

It's obvious he was dealt a bad script, but it's also clear he wasn't able to balance it out.

Honestly, the fact that he even auditioned knowing jack squat about Kung Fu isn't a great look either.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm not even talking about the dialogue or delivery, I'm talking about the scenes where he waves his hands around and then comes down in a karate pose, like. He looks awkward and fumbly. Nothing about the way he moves suggests that he has any better control over his body than some random hippie from Ann Arbor. A guy raised for 15 years in a ninja monastery should move like a ballet dancer, and while I don't expect every action lead to be Bruce Lee, he is so bad that it's jarring, especially when his character is supposed to be a master.

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

I think Jones could have been alright with more time to train and prepare his body, but he clearly wasn't there yet and the choreography and writing being super half-assed just exacerbated things.

I really enjoyed the moment when zen master Danny summed up the duality of life by pointing out the difference between a human and a piece of garbage and Colleen was like hmmm yes so wise

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Phenotype posted:

I'm not even talking about the dialogue or delivery, I'm talking about the scenes where he waves his hands around and then comes down in a karate pose, like. He looks awkward and fumbly. Nothing about the way he moves suggests that he has any better control over his body than some random hippie from Ann Arbor. A guy raised for 15 years in a ninja monastery should move like a ballet dancer, and while I don't expect every action lead to be Bruce Lee, he is so bad that it's jarring, especially when his character is supposed to be a master.

Ann Arbor Hippie is exactly what Danny looked like to me lmao

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Phenotype posted:

That and whenever he's pretending to do Tai Chi he looks like a college kid trying to impress girls with how worldly he is while looking like a total tool. None of his movements look natural or practiced, more like he was shown what to do right before the cameras started rolling and he's trying to remember what comes next.

Holy poo poo I just realized. Danny is Wimp Lo! They trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I feel like way too many people are just focusing on Danny not being Asian, and not, well, the rest of the problems. There was some clickbaity article I saw that Literally said "Iron Fist fails on diversity, dragging Marvel down with it". Uh did you see the casts for Spider-Man? As a goon once said "It looks like it takes place in Queens" and then Black Panther has like 2 white people in it?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Okay, if I have to try to be really nice to Jones, he's in a unique position, given that he doesn't have a costume that allows a stunt double to take over.

Cox doesn't do all his martial arts stuff in costume, so I'll give Jones that, but if he could just be decent at like one aspect of martial arts like Tai Chi, Kung Fu, or ... something, he'd at least come across as someone who tried.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Watching Episode 6 Why isn't Danny's teacher in like, every episode of this show? He's great.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Max posted:

Watching Episode 6 Why isn't Danny's teacher in like, every episode of this show? He's great.
Probably because they never figured out how to write a personal development arc. The concept's pretty cool. They like to only hint at the cool stuff.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Seriously, if this dude was chiding Danny from the sidelines for the whole show it would be great.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

As Nero Danced posted:

Holy poo poo I just realized. Danny is Wimp Lo! They trained him wrong on purpose, as a joke!

This is beautiful.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/BrianJNorris/status/843172574272114688

Max posted:

Seriously, if this dude was chiding Danny from the sidelines for the whole show it would be great.

That would've ruled, just him astral projecting to continue Danny's training and to chide Danny into returning. He could've even stopped, abruptly, well after Davos shows up to signify the [Cliff-Hanger Spoiler] disappearance/destruction(?) of Kun-Lun. Like, "Oh, he hosed that up, too, he had plenty of time to stop that, haha."

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Mar 20, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just watched episode 2. so far, each episode has had a scene that genuinely shocked me with how terrible it was. First was the exposition hobo, now the discovery that Colleen does Pink Panther training to keep her vigilant. Seriously, what the gently caress was that? When we saw her at her dojo, she was teaching Kendo. In Jessica Jones, she was advertising a self-defense course. So why did she have her students jump out at her unarmed four-on-one? Does she also teach basic gang violence? Are they going to her to learn how to mug people? What do you call what she teaches, School of Flowing Water, Students Shot By Cops Thinking They're Stopping a Robbery? And loving shame on them for doing a fakeout at that point. "Oh, people are stalking Colleen, something interesting might happen" I thought, but then lol of course not. It's only been like 70 minutes into the show, why would something interesting happen? The show is called Iron Fist and after two hours the only fisting he's done is punch a door

There's like ten more episodes, maybe the show will turn it around, but these first two episodes have been bad. Bad show.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
At the risk of defending the show, you could stretch a narrative-rationale for the ambush stuff. It comes up in episode 8 or 10, I think?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What Colleen is preparing them for comes up later in the season but don't let that stop you from the hot takes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Codependent Poster posted:

What Colleen is preparing them for comes up later in the season but don't let that stop you from the hot takes.

OK, good. That makes sense. Don't want to front load the show with stuff, we need lots of time with the weird curly hair guy with a poorly defined goal. And people in offices on phones. All that is really reeling me in.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Comixology's -67% Iron Fist sale ends TODAY.

I'm not a Marvel nerd, but the Brubaker/Fraction run seems like a no-brainer.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

"He can punch through solid steel with his bare hand"
"His hand... Or... His fist... "
They're the same thing lady.

This show is dumb.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Grem posted:

"He can punch through solid steel with his bare hand"
"His hand... Or... His fist... "
They're the same thing lady.

This show is dumb.

I laughed because even the henchman sold it like it was dumb as hell.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I remember thinking, "she went from plural to singular," but if he didn't suck, he could use both hands. Also, he shouldn't technically need to form a fist at all so what the hell, lady?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Danny 'The Iron Fist, Destroyer of the Hand' you weren't given this gift to murder.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Iron Tickler.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

As Nero Danced posted:

:vince:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
First episode: Not getting why Danny didn't tell Joy the Monopoly story with Ward the five year old teenager.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Every Frame a Painting touches on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

TL;DW; the fighting, even if it's good, loving sucks if you're cutting the scene between each action.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 20, 2017

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

It makes Charlie Cox's interpretation of Daredevil even more amazing since he only had 3 months to prep for the role.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Every Frame a Painting touches on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

TL;DW; the fighting, even if it's good, loving sucks if you're cutting the scene between each action.

Nice!

Everyone should watch that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

etalian posted:

It makes Charlie Cox's interpretation of Daredevil even more amazing since he only had 3 months to prep for the role.

Since they stole the Iron Fist costume they were able to swap in the trained stunt double at near will. Plus Cox had something to work with. I don't want to be too hard on Jones' acting since the script is loving dildos when it comes to dialog and nearly any action by Danny. The director deciding that the best way to sell flashbacks and hallucinations was to pretend like you just got a really bad headache certainly doesn't help.

It's almost like whoever wrote the script had a TV show about the Meachums they were working on that they shoehorned all the Iron Fist stuff into.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm not going to be too hard on Finn Jones either. He's bad in this, but mostly due to having a garbage script and a nothing story and directors who have no idea what they want him to be other than "always angry".

Accretionist posted:

Nice!

Everyone should watch that.

Seconded, it's a pro-click. Jacky Chan might have some garbage politics, but his onscreen earlier work is sublime.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 20, 2017

Gordong Dongbay
Oct 18, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm not going to be too hard on Finn Jones either. He's bad in this, but mostly due to having a garbage script and a nothing story and directors who have no idea what they want him to be other than "always angry".

Seconded, it's a pro-click. Jacky Chan might have some garbage politics, but his onscreen earlier work is sublime.

Garbage politics? What do you mean? I had no clue he had any involvement in politics but then again I don't exactly keep up on him.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Phenotype posted:

Honestly they should have just hired a martial artist who isn't completely terrible at acting

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I made it to episode 5. Does it get any better? Because this is just so... dull and predictable and by the numbers. I really don't see any reason to go on.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Garbage politics? What do you mean? I had no clue he had any involvement in politics but then again I don't exactly keep up on him.

Oh sorry, local thing. Despite making it huge in Hong Kong cinema, he cosies up to the Chinese Communist Party and tells Hongkongers they are basically spoiled children for wanting democracy and that demonstrators should have their rights limited. He's mostly hated here because of that. I think he managed to piss off Taiwan a few years before for similar reasons.

Meanwhile, Chow Yun Fat is his polar opposite, a local lad who during the same protests was warned that speaking out might mean his films got censored in Mainland China, and he just said "well I'll make less money then". I briefly dated the girl who taught him to ride a horse for one of his films, said he's a total dude.

Anyway, derail over.

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/843076198854885377

CountFosco posted:

I made it to episode 5. Does it get any better? Because this is just so... dull and predictable and by the numbers. I really don't see any reason to go on.

For me, it got worse. I enjoyed the first 7 or so episodes, then it went south quickly. Still worth it if you are willing to pick the good little moments from its bones, and there are good little moments spread all through the series, but it's buried in a lot of blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
drat, Joy, that's some M&M stash.