Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
I could be one of them honestly if I had a family I could mooch of like that without putting too much stress on them.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/escape-to-another-world

quote:

Over the last 15 years there has been a steady and disconcerting leak of young people away from the labour force in America. Between 2000 and 2015, the employment rate for men in their 20s without a college education dropped ten percentage points, from 82% to 72%. In 2015, remarkably, 22% of men in this group – a cohort of people in the most consequential years of their working lives – reported to surveyors that they had not worked at all in the prior 12 months. That was in 2015: when the unemployment rate nationwide fell to 5%, and the American economy added 2.7m new jobs. Back in 2000, less than 10% of such men were in similar circumstances.

What these individuals are not doing is clear enough, says Erik Hurst, an economist at the University of Chicago, who has been studying the phenomenon. They are not leaving home; in 2015 more than 50% lived with a parent or close relative. Neither are they getting married. What they are doing, Hurst reckons, is playing video games. As the hours young men spent in work dropped in the 2000s, hours spent in leisure activities rose nearly one-for-one. Of the rise in leisure time, 75% was accounted for by video games. It looks as though some small but meaningful share of the young-adult population is delaying employment or cutting back hours in order to spend more time with their video game of choice.

I remember a time when I was unemployed for six months, and then afterwards underemployed at something like 18 hours a week for another four months. All I did was Starcraft and LoL and I look back on that time fondly.

Anyway are any of you excited about mass effect 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
pussies i do both a lot lol

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

and sometimes im even loving at the same time. thats three things.

let the weak die

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I work and game from home. :hellyeah:

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Mods move this thread about games to the games forum please

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
well those numbers are of people with no college education

as we all know, those types of people are trash

no offense to the legions of goons here with no college education.. all im saying is that you and your kind are trash thats all

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
hell, more jobs for me

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Zzulu posted:

well those numbers are of people with no college education

as we all know, those types of people are trash

no offense to the legions of goons here with no college education.. all im saying is that you and your kind are trash thats all

Does this explain the assholes in Overwatch and DOTA?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

various cheeses posted:

Mods move this thread about games to the games forum please

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Enjoy your debt buddy

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im not american so i have no debt from getting a college education

it was free

suckersss

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Well then sit and twist buddy.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I don't know what that means but im gonna assume it is a grave insult

so

SO UP YOURS MAN

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
The only game im interested in is the game of life, a popular board game

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Twist n shout twist n shout come on come on come on now baby now

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Isaac posted:

The only game im interested in is the game of life, a popular board game

Does the board game also end with all participants dead?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
my job is playing videogames so I hate both

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Finally, I can say "I'm the guy in the OP." and actually be serious about it.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

You cant get out of the house without help of a fire crew and a fork lift?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Parents who let their kids live with them into their 30s (or really, mid to late 20s) are no better than the parents who give their kid money knowing they are going to spend it on drugs. They're enablers. Tell your goon kid he has to get his own place by the time he's 25 and I guarantee he'll spend a lot less time owning noobs and more time making sure he doesn't end up homeless.

There are exceptions of course like if they lose a job later in life and have nothing to fall back on and need a place to stay for a few weeks, but those situations should be extremely temporary and only in case of emergency. I can only imagine how disappointed these parents are, going through the whole raising them thing for 18 years, picturing how fun their retirement is going to be after they move out, only to find out they've got a permanent adult roommate to take care of until they die.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

I dont know I only have half an instruction card which I read every day when I wake up

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i still play videogames and im 30 years old

on the flipside, i dont live at home with the parents or at some friends like a turdy parasite

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I worked like 60-80 hour weeks from 18-26 and made enough money to live in a rich suburb in the city. I could eat, drink and smoke whatever I wanted. Eventually I did the sums and now I work 25 hours a week and live at my parents farm adn I can do lots more drinking and smoking. Theres no resteraunts around here though.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

Zzulu posted:

Anything can happen in the game of life!

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Zzulu posted:

i still play videogames and im 30 years old

on the flipside, i dont live at home with the parents or at some friends like a turdy parasite

a european claiming not to be a parasite

will wonders never cease

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

hey this article is about my older brothers, both of them are like this

they aren't even good at video games, either

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Rent in my area is 2k a month for a 2 bedroom apartment...im more than 30 minutes from LA.....2 hours on a freeway

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

But a 5 minute drive to the beach and wearing shorts and flip flops 90% of the year is pretty nice

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
My necks bleeds when I shave

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

a sexual elk posted:

But a 5 minute drive to the beach and wearing shorts and flip flops 90% of the year is pretty nice

Yeah this sounds p. cool to me. I think this last winter broke my spirit. Not the wearing flip-flops tho, I'm not disgusting.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Aging Millenial posted:

I could be one of them honestly if I had a family I could mooch of like that without putting too much stress on them.

https://www.1843magazine.com/features/escape-to-another-world

I remember a time when I was unemployed for six months, and then afterwards underemployed at something like 18 hours a week for another four months. All I did was Starcraft and LoL and I look back on that time fondly.

Anyway are any of you excited about mass effect 4

Literally unemployed right now and it's one of the highlights of my near-term future.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Maybe they are pro-video game athletes?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Zzulu posted:

That's monopoly.

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot
Why work a poo poo job to pay for an unfulfilling life when suicide is so much easier?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Dark Juno posted:

Why work a poo poo job to pay for an unfulfilling life when suicide is so much easier?

So about that animation... ?

Dark Juno
Mar 10, 2013

by zen death robot

myDad posted:

So about that animation... ?

That animation is the only reason to live, and Bioware wont give it to me.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
They should stop being lazy, get a STEM degree and find a good paying job.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Parents who let their kids live with them into their 30s (or really, mid to late 20s) are no better than the parents who give their kid money knowing they are going to spend it on drugs. They're enablers. Tell your goon kid he has to get his own place by the time he's 25 and I guarantee he'll spend a lot less time owning noobs and more time making sure he doesn't end up homeless.

There are exceptions of course like if they lose a job later in life and have nothing to fall back on and need a place to stay for a few weeks, but those situations should be extremely temporary and only in case of emergency. I can only imagine how disappointed these parents are, going through the whole raising them thing for 18 years, picturing how fun their retirement is going to be after they move out, only to find out they've got a permanent adult roommate to take care of until they die.

Being stuck with their children is the punishment they deserve for systematically destroying worker's rights imo

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like to work so I have money for games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

super sweet best pal posted:

I like to work so I have money for games.

That's the way to do it!

• Locked thread