Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Hi friends, it's me Jizz Denouement. Ever since I left for college way back when, I have never bought a new mattress. Pretty much whenever I moved, if it was too far to move my poo poo, I would buy that persons' bed and just live with that. As such, I've lived with pretty lovely beds for many moons. My go-to solution was to buy foam toppers and they generally did the trick well enough. However my current mattress is just too hosed up and small, so it's time to upgrade. Help me buy a good queen sized bed!

Question 1: What the gently caress is the actual difference in sleep quality between:
Poly Foam
Memory Foam
Latex/Foam Hybrid
Blended Latex
Innerspring

Question 2: Is there a scientific consensus on which is best for bones and sleep?

Question 3: How does a thrifty goon get the most bang for their buck?

Post any and all mattress related information, tips, pics, memes, and anecdotes in this thread!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Sep 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Nobody had a charming mattress anecdote or insider buyer tips for sleep sacks??

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Go there, throw them money, wait for your 100+ lb box of foam to come in the mail. They only have one model so if you know what size you want you are hardly at risk of decision overload.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

There are a bunch of online companies that have a similar business model to tuft and needle (linked in another post) which gives you a free trial period for their foam mattress. It doesn't hurt to try a couple of them, but be aware that they typically require a different type of bed, and dont require a box spring. Others off the top of my head are ghost bed, casper and purple. Check their website for what kind of support frame you need for each, but they are all similar.

Buying an inner spring mattress is a hassle because manufacturers typically don't sell their models with consistent branding (it may be a gold or platinum line at one store, sapphire or diamond at a different store). Additionally, it is expected to haggle if you buy in person. While a frame designed for a foam mattress can work for an innerspring mattress, it is generally still recommended that you buy a box spring for a foundation.

I'm about to replace my current mattress and I've all but decided to replace my bed frame and try the online stores rather than deal with the hassle of buying in person. The no questions asked return policy is particularly nice, so I can try a couple of them and not be out any cash if they don't work out.

ifuckedjesus
Sep 5, 2002
filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez filez
It's all up to personal preference. I have a memory foam mattress, but if I could do it all over again would buy a latex one. My parents just switched from memory foam to a traditional spring mattress.
Even within the same material you can find beds ranging from hard to soft - that goes for memory foam / latex / and springs.

Memory foam retains heat so it sleeps kind of hot compared to the others. Latex "conforms" but doesn't retain the divot if you roll around. The blends are just what they sound like - obviously they are trying for the best of both worlds, but you could just as easily find them as the worst of both worlds.

Personally I'm not a fan of shredded memory foam or latex but they are probably the overall cheapest. Both memory foam and latex are going to feel weird having sex in if you've only ever had a spring mattress - it's more work because you don't get the spring back.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ifuckedjesus posted:

It's all up to personal preference. I have a memory foam mattress, but if I could do it all over again would buy a latex one. My parents just switched from memory foam to a traditional spring mattress.
Even within the same material you can find beds ranging from hard to soft - that goes for memory foam / latex / and springs.

Memory foam retains heat so it sleeps kind of hot compared to the others. Latex "conforms" but doesn't retain the divot if you roll around. The blends are just what they sound like - obviously they are trying for the best of both worlds, but you could just as easily find them as the worst of both worlds.

Personally I'm not a fan of shredded memory foam or latex but they are probably the overall cheapest. Both memory foam and latex are going to feel weird having sex in if you've only ever had a spring mattress - it's more work because you don't get the spring back.

Hahahahaha I never even thought about this. Good to know!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

ifuckedjesus posted:

Both memory foam and latex are going to feel weird having sex in if you've only ever had a spring mattress - it's more work because you don't get the spring back.

Noticed this immediately when I first switched to memory foam topper.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
A few years ago, I finally changed from the double bed that I've had for basically my entire life to a new bed, and I ended up getting a king because a queen is only a few inches wider than a double, and it didn't seem worth it for a couple inches wider.. (plus my boyfriend was 6'5").

Anyways, I had factored in what I thought was the cost of a mattress, but hadn't actually looked it up, and I was blown away by both the crazy amount of choice and the prices! I ended up buying a middle level foam mattress from IKEA and then their expensive 3-inch topper for it. I LOVE IT. I absolutely love it in every way possible.

The base mattress is really hard. The topper is really soft. This works for me, because the hard mattress keeps my back from hurting. I tend to sleep on my stomach, so a squishy mattress makes my back hurt. But the sqooshy topper makes all my pointy bits comfortable. I sleep like a dream. My boyfriend and all my girlfriends who have sat on it or jumped on it or whatever, think that it's all hard and terrible, but my BF actually always slept really well despite his complaints (and he didn't snore)

IKEA delivers, with the foam mattresses rolled up in a giant tube, and I just looked and they have a 365 day return policy. I'm not sure how that works exactly, as I didn't attempt to return mine, because I love it. In the end, I guess it's a very personal thing. But I'm sticking my vote in for trying out IKEA if you don't want to go gently caress around with horrible people at an actual store and haggle and stuff. EWWW.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

shame on an IGA posted:

https://www.tuftandneedle.com/

Go there, throw them money, wait for your 100+ lb box of foam to come in the mail. They only have one model so if you know what size you want you are hardly at risk of decision overload.

I went this route. Took a little while to get used to sleeping on it ( was on a traditional pillow top ), but I'm liking it now. It is a bit on the firm side, but it is a comfortable kind of supportive firmness, like the seat of a nice office chair.

If you buy a Tuft and Needle, do it through their website, not Amazon. Amazon has a much shorter trial period on the mattresses, even though they're from the same company.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

It is a bit on the firm side, but it is a comfortable kind of supportive firmness, like the seat of a nice office chair.
Supportive Firmness :lol: This is the absolute bestest way to sleep

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Quality post.

I live in Europe, so perhaps "bed trends" are different here, but what most people buy are a box mattres / box-spring with a very thick "top mattress" (not sure what it's called in the USA) on top. This gives you the best of both worlds.

For the box mattress, basically the more springs the better. Here in metric Europe, we measure the amounts of springs in springs per square meter. A cheap box usually has about 100 / m2, a high quality one 300-500 / m2. The more (smaller) springs give you more comfort since the load is spread out more. Most people here put feet or prettier wooden supports below the box to raise it up above the floor - actual bed frames are pretty rare and old fashioned here; just unnecessary wasted space.

For the top mattress, it is generally agreed that latex is the best. It is expensive, but give you much more comfort, conforms to the body (but not like memory foam), and leads away body heat. I have a thick 8cm latex mattress that was approximately as expensive as the box spring, but worth it. Regular foam is nasty; I can feel it immediately how it doesn't lead away the body heat and I feel warm. Memory foam isn't my cup of tea, but it varies.

I bought my box+top at JYSK (is this a thing in the USA?), but IKEA also has great options.

I also recommend a box headboard that bolts onto the bed, which is aaaaaaaaaaaawesome. Watching TV in bed is ridiculously comfortable that way, instead of leaning against a concret or brick wall.

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO

Pilsner posted:

Quality post.

I live in Europe, so perhaps "bed trends" are different here, but what most people buy are a box mattres / box-spring with a very thick "top mattress" (not sure what it's called in the USA) on top. This gives you the best of both worlds.

For the box mattress, basically the more springs the better. Here in metric Europe, we measure the amounts of springs in springs per square meter. A cheap box usually has about 100 / m2, a high quality one 300-500 / m2. The more (smaller) springs give you more comfort since the load is spread out more. Most people here put feet or prettier wooden supports below the box to raise it up above the floor - actual bed frames are pretty rare and old fashioned here; just unnecessary wasted space.

For the top mattress, it is generally agreed that latex is the best. It is expensive, but give you much more comfort, conforms to the body (but not like memory foam), and leads away body heat. I have a thick 8cm latex mattress that was approximately as expensive as the box spring, but worth it. Regular foam is nasty; I can feel it immediately how it doesn't lead away the body heat and I feel warm. Memory foam isn't my cup of tea, but it varies.

I bought my box+top at JYSK (is this a thing in the USA?), but IKEA also has great options.

I also recommend a box headboard that bolts onto the bed, which is aaaaaaaaaaaawesome. Watching TV in bed is ridiculously comfortable that way, instead of leaning against a concret or brick wall.

This is really interesting. I can't speak for all Americans, but we generally have full bed frames with the headboard included. This has been changing in the last 10-20 years to more of the European style, where you don't buy this huge bed frame first. But generally, it used to go Bed Frame, Box-spring, Spring Mattress. Adding up to a total of the space underneath the bed (I foot to 3 feet even) and then about 2 feet of box spring and mattress. Having a mattress directly on the floor is kind of frowned upon as cheap or well, sorta ghetto. But like I said, that is changing very quickly, and people are buying all kinds of new "beds". Flat platforms with no headboards are becoming available and people are switching to latex and foam beds instead of the horrible box springs and spring mattresses that you and your friends can't FRICKIN FIT around the corner and up the stairs. Other American experiences may vary, but I think that's a pretty good general description. Futon when you're young and broke, then you buy a "real" bed, which is the big frame with a headboard.

I don't know what JYSK is, maybe it's in other parts of the USA but I don't think so. It's so adorable that without a headboard you would have a concrete or brick wall. Mostly we have painted drywall walls (that's like thin plastery-woody stuff with paint on). lol. unless you have a really old home, a or cool urban loft. I honestly don't see more than 100 total Americans going "hmm maybe I should get a headboard so I don't have to lean against this brick wall". That would be a nice conundrum for most people I think :)

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Pilsner posted:

Quality post.

It's the same here you're just using different terms. What you've described is a mattress and a "topper" or "mattress top". Standard bedding.

A box spring in north american terms is a mostly useless hard wood frame with just enough stiff springs to hold a regular spring-based mattress up. Now that there are better structured frames for beds they are useless other than for additional height and I don't know who still buys them if anyone.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Tuft and Needle all the way. I think my new mattress was under $400. Had it for a year, still feels great.,

Compare that to the mattress brick and mortar where they have "sales" every weekend and loving financing plans for a drat bed?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Tuft and Needle all the way. I think my new mattress was under $400. Had it for a year, still feels great.,

Compare that to the mattress brick and mortar where they have "sales" every weekend and loving financing plans for a drat bed?

I read somewhere that mattress salespeople are ex-real estate salespeople who couldn't hack it in the used car market and that seems accurate.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Scudworth posted:

It's the same here you're just using different terms. What you've described is a mattress and a "topper" or "mattress top". Standard bedding.

A box spring in north american terms is a mostly useless hard wood frame with just enough stiff springs to hold a regular spring-based mattress up. Now that there are better structured frames for beds they are useless other than for additional height and I don't know who still buys them if anyone.

A topper here is a thin matress that goes over the mattress that goes on your box spring. So typically it goes bottom (slats/box) --> 24 cm+ mattress --> Topper 3-8 cm (optional).
I'd disagree everyone gets a box spring though, plenty of people still get sprungs slats. In my country (Netherlands) steel spiral bases are also still popular.

My main mattress complaint is that no cheap brand makes 210/220 cm mattresses. Ikea stops at just 200cm which is just silly for a adult.

Ohnonotme
Jul 23, 2007
Yay!
Ikea here (UK) sell them both ways - 200cm types, and "Standard" doubles, etc. People stopped buying Ikea mattresses because it meant they could only use Ikea sheets, etc. So now they do normal sizes as well!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Having bought a pillow from the OnPurple people, they're probably going to be the source of my next mattress. That material is some kind of amazing.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

A topper here is a thin matress that goes over the mattress that goes on your box spring. So typically it goes bottom (slats/box) --> 24 cm+ mattress --> Topper 3-8 cm (optional).
I'd disagree everyone gets a box spring though, plenty of people still get sprungs slats. In my country (Netherlands) steel spiral bases are also still popular.

My main mattress complaint is that no cheap brand makes 210/220 cm mattresses. Ikea stops at just 200cm which is just silly for a adult.
That's a bit of a strange construct I'd say. The box spring is a bed in itself, and about 24cm thick, so why put an extra 24cm mattress on top? You can just put the topper on top, and if you're low on cash, buy a cheap foam topper instead of a latex one. I also have a very thin (like 1cm) foam mattress on top of my topper, to protect it from stuff like blood or child pee.

I guess countries are just really different on this issue. :)

JYSK in NL has some mattresses in 210cm, tried looking at them?

https://jysk.nl/slaapkamer/matrassen#f_6=210

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I've been wanting to upgrade to a king for a long time, and I'm thinking of biting the bullet. I'm a super light sleeper, so I need a bed that isolates motion well. However, I had a foam mattress topper for awhile and hated it because it was too hot. Granted, it was probably an old, cheap topper, but it still drove me crazy.

What are the good options here? From what I tell, gel-foam mattresses are kind of a gimmick, and don't really cool better than anything else. Latex mattresses are intriguing, but it's hard to find good information on them, and the ones on Amazon all have pretty low ratings. Pocket coil mattresses are pretty much the same story. Any suggestions?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Imaduck posted:

I've been wanting to upgrade to a king for a long time, and I'm thinking of biting the bullet. I'm a super light sleeper, so I need a bed that isolates motion well. However, I had a foam mattress topper for awhile and hated it because it was too hot. Granted, it was probably an old, cheap topper, but it still drove me crazy.

What are the good options here? From what I tell, gel-foam mattresses are kind of a gimmick, and don't really cool better than anything else. Latex mattresses are intriguing, but it's hard to find good information on them, and the ones on Amazon all have pretty low ratings. Pocket coil mattresses are pretty much the same story. Any suggestions?
Pocket coil mattress with a thick latex topper on top; best of both worlds. Also the most expensive, but you can get them in various qualities depending on how much cash you wish to invest.

I didn't know full latex mattresses existed, but I see them now on IKEA.com for example. I dunno, I haven't tried them, but frankly I can't imagine it's any better than the combination of spring and latex. There's a reason cars have springs and shock absorbers, not just one of those :iiaca:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Beware IKEA's offerings requiring weird rear end sized moon sheets

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Really? Not only we're going to change the way people furnish but also buy manchester? The arrogance..

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Got this off of Amazon, pretty great buy imo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Q7EPILO/

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It sucks that foam and latex mattresses are bad for sex. There seems to be no happy compromise.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Vegetable posted:

It sucks that foam and latex mattresses are bad for sex. There seems to be no happy compromise.

Well the reasonable solution is to have a latex mattress in your bedroom, and a spring matress in your sex dungeon.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

This is a little pricey, but looks like a promising compromise: Eco Terra Latex Mattress

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pilsner posted:

That's a bit of a strange construct I'd say. The box spring is a bed in itself, and about 24cm thick, so why put an extra 24cm mattress on top? You can just put the topper on top, and if you're low on cash, buy a cheap foam topper instead of a latex one. I also have a very thin (like 1cm) foam mattress on top of my topper, to protect it from stuff like blood or child pee.

I guess countries are just really different on this issue. :)

JYSK in NL has some mattresses in 210cm, tried looking at them?

https://jysk.nl/slaapkamer/matrassen#f_6=210

drat, Jysk would have been a good option. I wound up buying a mattress that costs 4-5x what they charge and i doubt it is 4x as good.
Most people don't use a topper, a topper is useful to bridge the gap between 2 individual mattresses or if the top layer of your old mattress is worn out or if you want MAXIMUM COMFORT (or maybe the sales guy at the mattress store figured he could squeeze you for a additional €500).
You use a mattress on top of a boxspring because a boxspring generally isn't meant to be slept on directly and typically uses bonnell springs instead of pocket springs like in a mattress.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

NihilismNow posted:

drat, Jysk would have been a good option. I wound up buying a mattress that costs 4-5x what they charge and i doubt it is 4x as good.
Most people don't use a topper, a topper is useful to bridge the gap between 2 individual mattresses or if the top layer of your old mattress is worn out or if you want MAXIMUM COMFORT (or maybe the sales guy at the mattress store figured he could squeeze you for a additional €500).
You use a mattress on top of a boxspring because a boxspring generally isn't meant to be slept on directly and typically uses bonnell springs instead of pocket springs like in a mattress.
Bonell springs are the cheap option, Pocket springs are the best and more advanced spring option. Costs more, of course. It must be a local thing that there's such a difference in customs.

I just don't see why you would put a massive mattress on top of a box spring, instead of a thin topper? Is a 24cm mattress cheaper than a 5cm topper? Why combine two mattresses with each their set of springs? If you want to heighten the bed, put taller legs on it.

Also, since you mentioned 2 mattresses - why I live, the maximum width of a bed is 140cm, so anyone requiring a double bed (typically 180cm here) will get 2x90cm beds, which will naturally require a form of "bridge", and this is where a 180cm wide one-piece topper comes in. You can also buy a foam "mattress keel" to lessen the gap between the two beds (but you'd still need the topper).

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I used to deliver matresses and the heavier, the better. i.e. the more springs the better. Get a medium or firm spring and then get the one with the plush top so you get best of both worlds. Or just get medium with no built on topper and buy your own that you can replace every few years after its gets nasty.
The most commonly returned ones were the gel mats. The warranty claims on those were horrendous. Sooo many people complaining that it has a massive bow in it after sleeping on it for a year, especially if its one person sleeping in the middle of a queen. Of course, you can go to a store, try them all out and then buy it online for half the price.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Pilsner posted:

I just don't see why you would put a massive mattress on top of a box spring, instead of a thin topper? Is a 24cm mattress cheaper than a 5cm topper? Why combine two mattresses with each their set of springs? If you want to heighten the bed, put taller legs on it.

I think we are talking about the same thing but using different terminology. What i am talking about is the following setup:

Maybe you consider the 2nd layer (that i called a mattress) to be part of the box spring?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

NihilismNow posted:

I think we are talking about the same thing but using different terminology. What i am talking about is the following setup:
Maybe you consider the 2nd layer (that i called a mattress) to be part of the box spring?

It was established previously that when he says "box spring" it means the actual mattress, and "box spring" as in the useless hard bottom layer mattress isn't a thing there (and shouldn't be a thing anywhere because wtf are they even for).

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Alright alright, here's what I call a box spring (or box mattress in my language):

The whole massive bottom part, including the wooden frame (hidden by fabric) and the two layers of springs is the box spring. The thinner part on top appears to be a latex topper ("top mattress").

You only need the box spring (with feet) and a topper for a good bed.

NihilismNow posted:

That looks like a Hästens bed, the most absurdly expensive beds in the world. A bed from them costs between $10,000 and $30,000, just crazy. Or maybe it's a Chinese copy since there are Chinese characters on your image. Anyway, the luxurious Hästens beds are split in two - a base (with a wooden frame, springs, wool, etc.), and a spring mattress (also with springs, horsehair, wool, etc.), that I guess compliment eachother and together, make up a gigantic load of springs, horse hair, foam, wool, and so on. Normal people here just buy the setup I pictured above.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly if you have a mattress that is not just a big slab of memory foam its plenty good for sex, if theres a little latex or something else it'll be just fine.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
Lol at all the people in this thread who, without the energy returning assistance of springs, are too unfit to have sex without considering it "hard".

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

signalnoise posted:

Having bought a pillow from the OnPurple people, they're probably going to be the source of my next mattress. That material is some kind of amazing.

I just received my Purple bed and it is loving incredible. It is like falling asleep on a large jello mold, without it constantly jiggling.
Last night took a lot of tossing to figure out the best position to lie in, but I have not woken up so refreshed in years.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
How does the OnPurple compare with a buckwheat pillow (I have the Beans72, and am a pretty big fan)? For the OnPurple mattress, can you use a bedbug-proof cover on it (since the cover they sell is not bedbug-proof), or will that gently caress up the air flow?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Thanatosian posted:

How does the OnPurple compare with a buckwheat pillow (I have the Beans72, and am a pretty big fan)? For the OnPurple mattress, can you use a bedbug-proof cover on it (since the cover they sell is not bedbug-proof), or will that gently caress up the air flow?

I used to use a buckwheat pillow exclusively. Now I use a Purple pillow exclusively. The major difference here is that with a buckwheat pillow, you adjust the pillow so it perfectly cradles your head. With the Purple pillow, it adjusts itself so it perfectly cradles your head, and it moves when you move. This means that you can relax your neck and shoulders and allow your head to kind of bob around with your breathing, and it's no big deal. My first night with it was just short of euphoric, as it allowed me to relax my shoulders a bit. I have chronic shoulder and neck tension, and since I got this pillow, every day has been a little bit more relaxed than the last. It is such a game changer for me that my sinuses have been more open lately since I have less tension leading from the top of my neck and my jaw.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

The more I read about the Purple mattresses, the more they sound like exactly what I'm looking for. Supposedly motion transfer is pretty minimal, they're cool temperature wise, they're good for sleeping in any position, and they're bouncy enough for sex. Has anybody had any negative experiences with Purple mattresses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks thread for showing me the Purple mattress which I want so badly now but they don't ship outside the USA