Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bieeardo posted:

And in this case, why so many rules for something that could be stated "take four hours, roll a d20. If it's below a 15, you get another GM Intrusion."

Maybe some implied obligation to dedicate a full chapter to the key part of your reality-shifting adventure game?

My favorite bit are the bonuses offered by different character types in the translation. Someone must've realized translating would fall on party's paradox every time, since it's an Intellect-based task, so they divvied out bonuses to give the other character types a reason to be relevant. Except the paradox still has the most vital role and the other translators are just kind of there to make the paradox's job easier. On top of that, the vector's bonus is still the least vital, unless your GM is a dick and has monsters jump you after every translation, but the vector can't do something more important (like help reduce the translation's difficulty) until every other role is occupied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Red Metal posted:

pee pee
doo doo
he is a bad game designer

Yeah, there's that, but on consideration I think he realizes that he'd catch poo poo from his audience if he didn't throw in a bunch of rules for what amounts to meeting up at the local tavern. Some of it's interesting fluff, like the links required to focus on a Recursion the first time, and the charge time on world-hopping presumably prevents players from blipping around like assholes. Other parts are just old-school teleport scatter without the chance of instant death.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Maybe some implied obligation to dedicate a full chapter to the key part of your reality-shifting adventure game?

My favorite bit are the bonuses offered by different character types in the translation. Someone must've realized translating would fall on party's paradox every time, since it's an Intellect-based task, so they divvied out bonuses to give the other character types a reason to be relevant. Except the paradox still has the most vital role and the other translators are just kind of there to make the paradox's job easier. On top of that, the vector's bonus is still the least vital, unless your GM is a dick and has monsters jump you after every translation, but the vector can't do something more important (like help reduce the translation's difficulty) until every other role is occupied.

Or, you know, you could just not have a roll and just let people do it without worrying about those middling "penalties". Thus bypassing the whole problem.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Nuns with Guns posted:

Back again for another entry on…

All the hoops you have to jump through to go to another Recursion are reminiscent of The Whispering Vault and not in a good way. If the adventure for the session is to go gently caress around on Cowboy World why is there a failure chance? That said the "Memory Failure" option on the chart is golden for the chance to have everything be on fire and your PCs the unwitting cause.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh and in case anyone thought I might have missed something: the paradox is the only character type whose role is completely vital. None of the other types get a bonus for initiating the translation, but all the other translation roles can be covered by someone besides the specialized character type. :smugwizard:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Or, you know, you could just not have a roll and just let people do it without worrying about those middling "penalties". Thus bypassing the whole problem.

pff and I thought you storygame swine loved to roll for interesting chances of failure.

LongDarkNight posted:

All the hoops you have to jump through to go to another Recursion are reminiscent of The Whispering Vault and not in a good way. If the adventure for the session is to go gently caress around on Cowboy World why is there a failure chance? That said the "Memory Failure" option on the chart is golden for the chance to have everything be on fire and your PCs the unwitting cause.

Honestly, you could probably discard the failure thing and turn it into a DM Intrusion with XP and it'd be 100% improved. That'd even allow you to harvest the interesting outcomes on that chart for intrusions.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
"You have successfully teleported to the new world. Unfortunately you teleported right into a jail cell. The guards do not believe you when you tell them this."

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Honestly though, I don't think Monte is a bad designer, but I do think he's incredibly mediocre. Everything he does is barely derived from his 3.X work
and he can't seem to let go of result charts.

He seems to be incapable of taking a chance on design decisions anymore, which is a shame because it does seem like he wants to at least try to do more narrative stuff.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

LuiCypher posted:

Cheesetator

Mmm, Cheesetaters.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

The cornerstone of RPG design is passive aggressively shutting down players with endless whatabouts and making them roll dice until they fail.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly though, I don't think Monte is a bad designer, but I do think he's incredibly mediocre. Everything he does is barely derived from his 3.X work
and he can't seem to let go of result charts.

He seems to be incapable of taking a chance on design decisions anymore, which is a shame because it does seem like he wants to at least try to do more narrative stuff.

Well Invisible Sun's pitch was very obsessed with reminding everyone how innovative, deep, and intelligent it is, so I guess we'll see how that turns out. I'd agree that's these games are locked into a very D&D minset so far. I can't blame Monte for that exclusively though. Most, if not all of the Cypher Systems dev team is composed of TSR/WotC expats. Monte admits the main reason Cypher uses the d20 at all is because of tradition. It's just a bit disappointing that a company with the resources to pull together a team of experienced designers and fantastic artists hasn't pushed the envelope as far as they could.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Invisible Sun is just, insane. It's very backwards in some areas but forward thinking in others. The sole task resolution mechanic in the game is doing tarot readings, so they're creating a phone app to do tarot readings on the fly, because they want you playing the game even when you're not at the table, which is something other games have been doing for years but Cook is taking credit for.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, did they finally reveal anything other than 'it comes in a box'?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I don't think so, no. From what I've heard the KS has been pretty silent.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I recall something about a tiny hand and a ball.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

I recall something about a tiny hand and a ball.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't think so, no. From what I've heard the KS has been pretty silent.

They released the playtest materials recently. A guy I know who is head over heels for Monty Cook/Cypher System and has more money than sense bought into at that level. :suicide:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Get the gently caress out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
That's from the episode where Mike the TV has to help Bob beat the dungeon game, right?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

In perversely, enjoy RIFTS gear writeup summaries because theyre so dull. There are a apparently a hojillion books each with guns and like two of them do anything different other than "be worse than the best gun available"

Monte Cook, does the hand unfuck health and damage systems to one where I can actually play any class? Alternately, could you talk to the designers of your video game adaptations and make it so that being able to rest and heal isnt either a trap option or buried in a set of optional dialog?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Kavak posted:

Get the gently caress out.

$197.

fake edit: I'd actually forgotten about the ~secret envelope~

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
My favorite thing about Invisible Sun is still the sample character "searching for the secret (and possibly forbidden) number between 12 and 13" because jesus gently caress, Monte, pretending fractions don't exist is not a great way to convince me you've put a lot of thought into this.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I loved Monte's "sample characters" because they were incredibly "I read Sandman for the first time". Plus I could have made them all in Fate in like two seconds.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I thought the "Directed Campaign" was a thing only 12 groups got and even then only if you put in a bunch of extra money towards the kickstarter.

Also there was the special "I'm a store owner and I promise to convince people to buy this game from you" tier that got all 9 of the collectable medallions and 3 copies of the game for a fraction of the cost they were expecting normal backers to put out for.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Monte Cook's $200 rear end scratcher.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I would just like to point out that Invisible Sun apparently has 750 spells, 450 of which are clearly just the usual "cypher" one-shot doodads.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Do I also get to bludgeon Monte with that bigass box of superfluousness?

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Barudak posted:

In perversely, enjoy RIFTS gear writeup summaries because theyre so dull. There are a apparently a hojillion books each with guns and like two of them do anything different other than "be worse than the best gun available"
I'm reading Rifts books partially for material for Savage Rifts and partially for kitch, and I just skim all the mundane gear sections because they are insanely dull (and it's not like I'm using the system anyway), and the gun designs hurt my brain. The F&F posts at least consolidate it if nothing else.

Also, I think Juicer Uprising is next, and the titular event is amazing for how much of a bizarre mess it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

Honestly though, I don't think Monte is a bad designer, but I do think he's incredibly mediocre. Everything he does is barely derived from his 3.X work and he can't seem to let go of result charts.
Eh, he is really bad, IMO. I think it depends on your temperament. I've reached the point where more of the same D20 shovelware annoys me more than something that is, like, aggressively stupid in a way I haven't seen before. Speaking of which, the best he can do on that front is rip off Fate and implement its ideas badly.

quote:

The cynic in me says that he's just looking at trends and asking himself how he can make a buck in the current market. And the answer is: weld narrative mechanics onto the same old D20 structure, and market that to the people who still value the Monte Cook brand, with high production values. That's really the nicest thing I can say about his latest work, that the art is good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

The cynic in me says that he's just looking at trends and asking himself how he can make a buck in the current market. And the answer is: weld narrative mechanics onto the same old D20 structure, and market that to the people who still value the Monte Cook brand, with high production values. That's really the nicest thing I can say about his latest work, that the art is good.
I honestly don't think he's trying to make a buck on trends, mainly due to the fact that the trends he's trying out here (weird urban fantasy, narrative mechanics) are all 10+ years old.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

vislae (backers)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Evil Mastermind posted:

the trends he's trying out here (weird urban fantasy, narrative mechanics) are all 10+ years old.
Baby steps.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To be honest, 10 years behind the times seems to be the rate of advancement for his fans so I think hes done a bang up job of predicting what they are ready for.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The thing that just absolutely slays me about Invisible Sun is that it's two hundred loving dollars for a box for one person. Invisible Sun is a game for smart interesting people who also have sufficient money to spend to ride. It's not at a price that your regular hobbyist would consider spending and yet it made its funding. Thanks nerds.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hostile V posted:

The thing that just absolutely slays me about Invisible Sun is that it's two hundred loving dollars for a box for one person. Invisible Sun is a game for smart interesting people who also have sufficient money to spend to ride. It's not at a price that your regular hobbyist would consider spending and yet it made its funding. Thanks nerds.
Let's just say it wasn't a coincidence that Monte published an article about having the players all pitch in to buy a game for the GM shortly before IS launched.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The same article stated that a storyteller who received such a gift shouldn't feel obligated or put upon, but honored that your group considers you mature and intelligent enough to run such a difficult game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Look, you're not just just buying a plastic hand prop, but exclusive access to Monte Cook's artisan, handcrafted, boutique imagination. And you just can't put a price on that.

(But Monte Cook can.)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Monte is a 'Knights of the dinner table' joke character

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
If it didn't have his name on it, I'd be calling it the peak of cargo cult design. It reminds me of Fyxt and Genesys, two things I'm ashamed I can still remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
I love how he claims the game is fast and easy with a box that would make FFG blush.

wiegieman posted:

Someone earlier in the thread mentioned a better way to do the Multiverse stuff, for example, to have a caveman from the Living Land's spear punch through tank armor easily because that's just what it does.

The Axiom of Civ.

Kurieg posted:

Invisible Sun is just, insane. It's very backwards in some areas but forward thinking in others. The sole task resolution mechanic in the game is doing tarot readings, so they're creating a phone app to do tarot readings on the fly, because they want you playing the game even when you're not at the table, which is something other games have been doing for years but Cook is taking credit for.

I'm curious what'll happen when he discovers the concept of LARP.

(The resolution system will of course be rock-paper-scissors, except with more esoteric gestures.)

Lynx Winters posted:

My favorite thing about Invisible Sun is still the sample character "searching for the secret (and possibly forbidden) number between 12 and 13" because jesus gently caress, Monte, pretending fractions don't exist is not a great way to convince me you've put a lot of thought into this.

I fear he took some levels in the Peter Molyneux prestige class.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 20, 2017