Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are we reading?
To Build a Fire by Jack London
Orientation by Daniel Orozco
A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Other
View Results

• Locked thread
H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Hi!

I have started a few literary threads in the past, asking for recommendations and such. Despite initial misgivings, it went well.

I would like to take this a step further by creating a book club for GBS, discussing short stories.

Why GBS? Don't you have the Book Barn for that?

First of all, I prefer GBS posters, both in general and specifically in terms of literary preferences. This is why I don't just take part in their book of the month threads and would like to create something similar here instead.

Why only short stories?

I think that short stories are more suitable for the GBS posting style. The difference between TBB and GBS is like the difference between a genre book series and a humoristic short story.

So what are we reading?

I have selected three short stories to vote on in the poll. Alternatively, I'll happily take other suggestions. After a couple of days we'll determine the story by popular vote.

The stories:

1) To Build a Fire by Jack London, the classic tale of man against nature. Link to full text

2) Orientation by Daniel Orozco, an absurdist monologue from a (highly recommended) collection by the same name. Link to full text

3) A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings by Gabriel Garcia Marquez[/b], a wonderful example of magical realism. Link to full text

If you suggest your own stories, please link to a text online if it is without copyright (no need to break the rules on :filez:), otherwise link to goodreads or amazon.

:siren: The first short sotry we are reading is: "A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Read and comment please!

H.H fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've never read Marquez before so I pick that one

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I'm very down for this thread.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I've never read Marquez before so I pick that one

You gotta read him. Other than this short story, I highly recommend "One Hundred Years of Solitude", his masterpiece.
There's also "Love in the Time of Cholera", but I liked it considerably less.

How would you compare the two novels, folks?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
I've been on a Danny "Kershaw" Ball kick this past year and he has some great Sci films short stories that really have a lot to say about the *ahem* human condition..........

solar energy panel
Apr 30, 2007

H.H posted:

You gotta read him. Other than this short story, I highly recommend "One Hundred Years of Solitude", his masterpiece.
There's also "Love in the Time of Cholera", but I liked it considerably less.

How would you compare the two novels, folks?

Love in the Time of Cholera was a book being read repeatedly in some movie. Which movie was it? I forget.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
:siren: MOST BORING POSTER EVER POSTS MOST BORING THREAD IN THE WORLD :siren:

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
voting 1

am i ugly
Mar 12, 2017

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

stop advertising your latest voltaire thread

am i ugly
Mar 12, 2017

by zen death robot
voting 2 to cancel that bad vote out

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

am i ugly posted:

voting 2 to cancel that bad vote out

:):hf::)

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
this is cool but i dont think i know any short stories to recommend. i read longstorys or "novels"

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
nvm i get it im supposed to read one of the ones in OP for discussion

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

indeed. please use the poll.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Kawabata

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Can we submit our own short stories? Here's mine.

"I farted in my car during my lunch break. But it wasn't just a fart. Poop followed in the wake of it, and filled my pants. I left my poo poo-filled underwear in the bathroom of a Crafts 2000. I still went to work, glad my office was empty. Empty like my heart, soul, and now bowels.

The end"

It's based on a true story my best man told me while very drunk at my bachelors party.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
shut the gently caress you dgsw your bad-posting will be your undoing you old muck.

To Build a Fire sounds good, let's read that

e: aww old mans winning nevermind

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Can we submit our own short stories? Here's mine.

"I farted in my car during my lunch break. But it wasn't just a fart. Poop followed in the wake of it, and filled my pants. I left my poo poo-filled underwear in the bathroom of a Crafts 2000. I still went to work, glad my office was empty. Empty like my heart, soul, and now bowels.

The end"

It's based on a true story my best man told me while very drunk at my bachelors party.

this whole post is poop. its some kind of poop post.

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been reading the fanfiction "Sans and Paprus Smoke Weed" by PuttyIsCool69, it's a drat good read.

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Very good thread idea, thanks op. Be interesting to see where this goes.

E. Oh it already started.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Tenth of December by George Saunders is a good mixed bag of short stories.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i vote for orientation since i odn't know much about china

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
just finished reading the old man with wings story.

what was the point of it? the only thing i can think of is that it was just about how taking care of elderly people is considered a nuisance because the lady at the end was relieved when he finally flew away(died?)

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i voted for jack bcause i own the book and hate pdf

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I read all the words and all of them are good. I'll find one of my old books and post it

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I've discussed #s 1 & 3 to death in school. I just read #2 and it should definitely be cross-posted in "ITT we work in an office and it's Friday" thread. Orozco gets my vote!

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Bumping this thread for night goons.

Any more interested in taking part in this?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce.

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/375

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
'creative nonfiction', Last Shot by Tobias Wolff

George Orwell wrote an essay called “How the Poor Die” about his experience in the public ward of a Paris hospital during his lean years. I happened to read it not long ago because one of my sons was writing a paper on Orwell, and I wanted to be able to talk with him about it. The essay was new to me. I liked it for its gallows humor and cool watchfulness. Orwell had me in the palm of his hand until I came to this line: “It is a great thing to die in your own bed, though it is better still to die in your boots.”

It stopped me cold. Figure of speech or not, he meant it, and anyway the words could not be separated from their martial beat and the rhetoric that promotes dying young as some kind of good deal. They affected me like an insult. I was so angry I had to get up and walk it off. Later I looked up the date of the essay and found that Orwell had written it before Spain and World War II, before he’d had the chance to see what dying in your boots actually means. (The truth is, many of those who “die in their boots” are literally blown right out of them.)

Several men I knew were killed in Vietnam. Most of them I didn’t know well, and haven’t thought much about since. But my friend Hugh Pierce was a different case. We were very close, and would have gone on being close, as I am with my other good friends from those years. He would have been one of them, another godfather for my children, another big-hearted man for them to admire and stay up late listening to. An old friend, someone I couldn’t fool, who would hold me to the best dreams of my youth as I would hold him to his.

Instead of remembering Hugh as I knew him, I too often think of him in terms of what he never had a chance to be. The things the rest of us know, he will not know. He will not know what it is to make a life with someone else. To have a child slip in beside him as
he lies reading on a Sunday morning. To work at, and then look back on, a labor of years. Watch the decline of his parents, and attend their dissolution. Lose faith. Pray anyway. Persist. We are made to persist, to complete the whole tour. That’s how we find out who we are.

I know it’s wrong to think of Hugh as an absence, a thwarted shadow. It’s my awareness of his absence that I’m describing, and maybe something else, some embarrassment, kept hidden even from myself, that I went on without him. To think of Hugh like this is to make selfish use of him. So, of course, is making him a character in a book. Let me at least remember him as he was.

He loved to jump. He was the one who started the “My Girl” business, singing and doing the Stroll to the door of the plane. I always take the position behind him, hand on his back, according to the drill we’ve been taught. I do not love to jump, to tell the truth, but I feel better about it when I’m connected to Hugh. Men are disappearing out the door ahead of us, the sound of the engine is getting louder. Hugh is singing in falsetto, doing a goofy routine with his hands. Just before he reaches the door he looks back and says something to me. I can’t hear him for the wind. What? I say. He yells, Are we having fun? He laughs at the look on my face, then turns and takes his place in the door, and jumps, and is gone.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

Bumping this thread for night goons.

Any more interested in taking part in this?

I willuh read the GGM one by the time this starts

Whatever this is

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
well nobody wants to explain the old man with wings story to me so nice short story thread hh

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

I'll wait a bit longer with voting and then we'll read on the story (probably the Marquez one) and discuss it.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
okay I'll be back tomorrow. WITH MY LAWYER

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
I've read the Marquez short story before and it's very good. Marquez in general comes highly reccomended from this GBS idiot

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings is a good jumping off point for an exercise like this. I'd also suggest Tobias Wolff's "Bullet in the Brain" because it's short, amusing, and affecting: http://pov.imv.au.dk/Issue_27/section_1/artc2A.html

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mčre
College Slice
I'll read the Old Man

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

dad gay. so what posted:

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The irony is that DGSW is the most boring poster of all time and he loving sucks, along with his little GBS followers who suck at his teat like retarded kittens.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

Well, it seems like we have a clear majority for "Old Man With Enormous Wings".

Please read it and describe your impression of the text and any ideas you might have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

The first time I've read this story was in high school, as a required reading for school.
It struck me as interesting back then and I wanted to give it a second reading, knowing that there's probably a lot of nuance that I missed back then.

Aside from the philosophical questions raised in the story, the scenery depictions are very striking. This is a definite strength of Marquez's writing.
Not only scenery, but the way he manages to convey to us the everyday lives of the characters in so few words can be said to be his specialty.
The very first sentence shows this perfectly, for me it was hard not to imagine the scene of the crabs,the overpowering smell etc.

What did you feel about the graphics of the story?

• Locked thread