Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Viivi and Wagner has sort of grown on me over time, like a fungus. I cannot explain this, nor am I particularly happy about it, but there it is.

I would rather see a solid wall of Gilchrist, McEldowney and Grace than one more Wumo. Not even lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

bean_shadow posted:

If Dustin was really sick, the Boomer Dad figures, he should be inside in bed or on the couch. He wouldn't be completely better by 5 PM or whenever Boomer Dad gets home from work.

I would also say that playing with that kid (Big Brothers?) is arguably a better use of his time than going to whatever temp job he's on now.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Savidudeosoo posted:

Wizard of Id

I'm so glad that Wizard of Id has actually become funny.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
There are a lot of comics I really dislike, but I reserve a special hate for Dustin. I had a lot of difficulty finding a job after graduating college, and it was a very stressful and depressing situation. If my Dad had treated me with the contempt that Ed Kudlick shows his son I probably would have killed myself. It seriously makes me angry thinking about what a terrible father he is.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Pickles

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Itchy Oliver is brutal as hell. I'm really enjoying these older Dick Tracy comics.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Cosima posted:

I think I'll make a daily contribution to the thread as penance for the years of lurking. I'll think of what to add but in the interim if anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Mike Du Jour?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pooch Café

I typically post to give praise to historical comics and demand the posting-death of Working Daze. But this time I want to say I really like Pooch Cafe and consider a front-runner of good modern comics.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Some Guy TT posted:

edit: how exactly do you regular Mac users function? Using this thing makes me feel like I've got an arm tied behind my back.

The worst part is getting used to Cmd instead of Ctrl for most basic things. Also, the Home/End keys suck. Everything else flows pretty well, and being able to drop into a UNIX-y environment whenever I want is nice as a developer.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SuperKlaus posted:

I typically post to give praise to historical comics and demand the posting-death of Working Daze. But this time I want to say I really like Pooch Cafe and consider a front-runner of good modern comics.

I like it. I rarely laugh and often skip it so I'm glad you highlighted this one.

This is the cheapest food I can legally purchase. Hee hee.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

:3:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

1999 Spider-Man

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cosima posted:

For now you fuckers are getting Reply All because I liked it despite it's hideous illustrations and Zits because I kinda hate it.

Reply All

RA grew on me too. When it first began, it was just plain awful, but the writing improved significantly over time.

Some Guy TT posted:

Tracksuit

They're playing a popular game where people wear mufflers and yell words loudly at each other down a line to see if the person at the end guesses the correct one.
Does John Travolta frequently play this game?

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Secret Agent X-9

Apartment 3-G

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't bother, Dilbert, Kickstarter is way ahead of you.

http://inhabitat.com/epiphanys-onepuck-charges-your-cell-phone-with-your-morning-coffee/

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Mountaineer posted:

There are a lot of comics I really dislike, but I reserve a special hate for Dustin. I had a lot of difficulty finding a job after graduating college, and it was a very stressful and depressing situation. If my Dad had treated me with the contempt that Ed Kudlick shows his son I probably would have killed myself. It seriously makes me angry thinking about what a terrible father he is.

Dustin probably already feels like poo poo about not being able to find a permanent job and being able to move out. Boomer Dad doesn't need to pour acid on the wound any further, which is something Bitch Sister also does. Yeah, he's a real piece of poo poo who expects everybody to feel sorry for him when he can't put down the food to lose weight but has no sympathy for anybody else.

Does anybody know what Dustin has a college degree for, if any?

How do those GNC stores stay open? They always seem to be the last store standing before malls are bulldozed.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

Does anybody know what Dustin has a college degree for, if any?

I think he was an English major, but I could be entirely making that up.

Is that Tracksuit some sort of rhyme thing where the only thing he can think of to shout is "gently caress" or whatever?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

I think he was an English major, but I could be entirely making that up

From Comics Kingdom's page:

quote:

At 23, Dustin Kudlick is a recent college graduate who majored in English because he already spoke the language. Unencumbered with ambition, Dustin’s goal is to find a career that yields the greatest pay for the least amount of effort.

As an English major, may I say gently caress you very much, Kelley.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I mean, that's my goal, too. I did it by getting an engineering degree, though.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Selachian posted:

From Comics Kingdom's page:

As an English major, may I say gently caress you very much, Kelley.

Wikipedia posted:

Dustin Kudlick, the titular character of the comic strip. A 23-year-old college graduate who has failed to find regular employment in the current economy after graduating and thus moved back home to live with his parents. He is constantly trapped in a cycle of dead-end temp jobs and grueling manual labor, frequently shown putting in long hours at a car wash or asking his supervisor at the temp agency for more career-enhancing assignments that might help him break out of the cycle of wage slavery, not to mention troubling in developing relationships with women and a budding inventor. Despite his dysfunctional family atmosphere, Dustin remains stoic, a heroic everyman and inspiration to the reader, as he endures and strives, trying to find true employment and happiness.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

quote:

At 23, Dustin Kudlick is a recent college graduate who majored in English because he already spoke the language. Unencumbered with ambition, Dustin’s goal is to find a career that yields the greatest pay for the least amount of effort.

meanwhile "newspaper comic artist" is demonstrably the least demanding job in history

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Zits

Reply All

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man
Someone said they wanted Mike du Jour, so I've decided to add that to my line up.

Mike du Jour

WUMO!

Zippy

Fort Knox

Rugrats

Non Sequitur

Lio

Pluggers

Harley

Last kiss

Get Fuzzy

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
I wish Mike Lester would die.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Edge of Questions

Any time is a great time to start carrying your gun! This message brought to you by the NRA.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Secret scenes from Jerry's life. Ballard Street.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d74_5af_Dzs

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Savidudeosoo posted:

How was your time away?

Austin, TX is a real fun town! Did some hiking, saw live music because it was just everywhere, drank an entire pitcher of rum & coke for $11, went to the toy museum, ate some steak and some barbecue. All in all, a real fun experience.
But now it's time to get back to the responsibilities of the real world, like posting Baldo:

Wizard of Id

Big Nate

Wallace The Brave

Holy poo poo this is perfect. I love this strip, I love every little detail. Wallace's face in the last panel and the drama-whisper lettering on "what have you done", that shocked seagull that appears in the third panel, the fact that Will Henry is getting an F on the desk.

WTB is a good, good, comic.

Curtis isn't, but it's pretty allright today:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

I used to really like Non Sequitur, and I still kind of like the art, but last I remember it got too "old man yells at cloud" and "those politicians/lawyers/expert whatevers sure are clowns!"

Edit: I am in no way saying don't post it. I haven't read it in a long time maybe I'll enjoy it.

The biggest problem with Non Sequitur used to be that Wiley would try to do political stuff but in no particular way, so it was a bunch of generic "government dumb those clowns in congress are at it again" white noise.
Since the election, however, he's stopped giving a poo poo, become a lot more pointed and decisive, and I think has gotten a lot better. Still can't stand the Danae and the Horse strips though. They're like the anti-Phoebe and Marigold.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

you won't rest until you're on everyone's ignore list, will you

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Rugrats is definitely a comic that seems suitable for text-swapping.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Another day, another unnoteworthy strip.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Savidudeosoo posted:

Someone said they wanted Mike du Jour, so I've decided to add that to my line up.
What? No. No one said that. No one said that!

computer angel posted:

I wish Mike Lester would die.
I don't think you should say this, ever.

You don't talk at all about how much pain he would be in before he dies and I piss on his lonely, cold grave.

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

And He Did. (April, 1916)

Outbursts of Everett True (August, 1916)

Doings of the Duffs. (June, 1918, click for big)

Personally, I've got a face for radio ... and a voice for print. :smith:

The Gay Thirties (June, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (June, 1940, click for big)

Mopsy (November, 1940)

Tweedy (January, 1956, click for big)

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

Feiffer (1971, click for big)

Andy Capp (March, 1971, click for big)

Wee Pals (May, 1971, click for big)

Pyton

Richard's Poor Almanac (click for big)

Dick Tracy (February, 2006, click for big)

hahaha. This is too good.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (January 20, 1930)

Peanuts (March 23, 1970)

Darin and Mopey Pete's Silver Age Wankfest Fantasia

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (June 2-3, 1930)

Thimble Theater (October 7, 1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 24, 2017

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Archie (November, 1955, click for big)

I love classic Archie. Ms Grundy looks so disappointed in the last panel :shobon:

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (June 1-2, 1930)

Why've they all tied their clothes up like that though?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

sweeperbravo posted:

Why've they all tied their clothes up like that though?

Other kids did that while they were skinny dipping in the pond, because children are assholes.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

Austin Walker is not taking any poo poo in that second-to-last panel.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Hobnob posted:

Austin Walker is not taking any poo poo in that second-to-last panel.

He's really mad that one of the prisoners insisted Bastion didn't gently caress.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Thimble Theater (October 7, 1930)

Oh Popeye.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Really Pants posted:

meanwhile "newspaper comic artist" is demonstrably the least demanding job in history

It takes two people to create Dustin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Tiggum posted:

It takes two people to create Dustin.

And the artist is actually kinda decent compared to a bunch of the other comics in this thread. The writer can go suck some assnips though.

• Locked thread