Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot
https://capitolfax.com/2017/03/20/opiod-overdose-deaths-are-skyrocketing/

quote:

We are running out of ways to emphasize how dire the opioid overdose crisis has become. In 2015, United States drug overdose deaths exceeded 50,000; 30,000 involved opioids. There were more deaths from opioid overdose than not only from motor vehicle accidents, but also than from HIV/AIDS at the peak of the epidemic in 1995

Yes, easy access to opioids in the first place is a problem, but that's NOT why the people are dying. They're dying because they can't get clean opioids after their supply of pills runs out.

My brother recently went to a free rehab program for alcoholism. He left there after two days because so many fellow patients kept offering him heroin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Aging Millenial posted:

[url]https://capitolfax.com/2017/03/20/opiod-overdose-deaths-are-skyrocketing//url]

Yes, easy access to opioids in the first place is a problem, but that's NOT why the people are dying. They're dying because they can't get clean opioids after their supply of pills runs out.

My brother recently went to a free rehab program for alcoholism. He left there after two days because so many fellow patients kept offering him heroin.

lmbo

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Religion is the opiate of the masses, OP.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Like saying no to drugs is correct and good but also makes your brother a huge pussy OP

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I think we should ban religion is what I'm saying.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
weird, I'll take a hydro or oxy if im in pain or once in a blue moon it might be relaxing but i just dont get the appeal. taking more than even a regular real dose seems uncomfortable and not pleasurable to me at all. I get like every other drug but not that one. I mean id understand if it was heroin probably but just regular rear end pills??

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Other opiates too.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

imo we should start writing shitloads of scripts for k for pain that would be a far more hilarious painkiller epidemic to witness

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
bernie sanders is my opiate

Aging Millenial
Nov 24, 2016

by zen death robot

Jimmy Hats posted:

Like saying no to drugs is correct and good but also makes your brother a huge pussy OP

He is very susceptible to going own this road given his already existing substance abuse problem. Least I can I do is scare him everyday about so many people dying of heroin.

He told me the horrible story of some 19 year old girl shooting up heroin at a party he was at and I'm like this girl is going to be dead next week.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Aging Millenial posted:

He is very susceptible to going own this road given his already existing substance abuse problem. Least I can I do is scare him everyday about so many people dying of heroin.

He told me the horrible story of some 19 year old girl shooting up heroin at a party he was at and I'm like this girl is going to be dead next week.

if someone wants to kill themselves with drugs thats their right as a fuckin american

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

man this stresses me out. *takes half a vicodin*

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Hell Yeah posted:

man this stresses me out. *takes half a vicodin*

dude smoke some weed !!! I dont get it!

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

Tolkien minority posted:

if someone wants to kill themselves with drugs thats their right as a fuckin american

But only if they're legal drugs being pushed by big pharm

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Pharmaceutical companies have a vested interest in making sure there's an opioid epidemic. Those same companies hand out tons of money to politicians, so this poo poo will never get fixed.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Marijuana is not the ultra safe cool drug every stoner ever tells you it is, but it's still insane that it's illegal most places. States that have legalized marijuana use see substantial drops in opioid addiction levels and OD deaths.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Pharmaceutical companies have a vested interest in making sure there's an opioid epidemic. Those same companies hand out tons of money to politicians, so this poo poo will never get fixed.

Also this - it sounds like some kind of crazy conspiracy theory but it's 100% true.

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

Luxury Communism posted:

bernie sanders is my opiate

i took a sander and now it berns when i pee

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Hardcore drugs like weed are way worse imo. Just the other day a neighbor down the road lost a son because he shot up weed. Found him in his bedroom with a needle in his arm and a Peter Tosh album skipping on the record needle

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-west-virginia-became-the-epicenter-of-the-opioid-epidemic-2016-12

Some interesting WV factoids:

Between 2011 and 2013, West Virginia suffered from a rate of 33.5 drug overdoses per 100,000 people, compared to a national average of 13.4 deaths

Kermit WV, population 392, received shipments of nearly nine million highly addictive and potentially lethal hydrocodone pills to a single pharmacy over a two-year period.

"Wyoming County, where shipments of OxyContin have doubled in recent years, the county’s overdose death rate leads the nation, with 54.6 per 100,000. “One mom-and-pop pharmacy in Oceana received 600 times as many oxycodone pills as the Rite Aid drugstore just eight blocks away,” according to the newspaper’s report."

Major drug wholesalers flooded the state with 780 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills. WV has a population of about 2 million.

This will never get fixed. WV Senator Joe Manchin's daughter is the CEO of Mylan Pharmaceuticals, one of the biggest generic drug manufacturers in the world.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

dude smoke some weed !!! I dont get it!

don't worry i am

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
People who have good character don't get pleasure from opioids except for the pain relief

the people who get addicted to legitimately prescribed pills have bad character

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No. 6 posted:

I think we should ban religion is what I'm saying.

Testify my brother!

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Jose Oquendo posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-west-virginia-became-the-epicenter-of-the-opioid-epidemic-2016-12

Some interesting WV factoids:

Between 2011 and 2013, West Virginia suffered from a rate of 33.5 drug overdoses per 100,000 people, compared to a national average of 13.4 deaths

Kermit WV, population 392, received shipments of nearly nine million highly addictive and potentially lethal hydrocodone pills to a single pharmacy over a two-year period.

"Wyoming County, where shipments of OxyContin have doubled in recent years, the county’s overdose death rate leads the nation, with 54.6 per 100,000. “One mom-and-pop pharmacy in Oceana received 600 times as many oxycodone pills as the Rite Aid drugstore just eight blocks away,” according to the newspaper’s report."

Major drug wholesalers flooded the state with 780 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills. WV has a population of about 2 million.

This will never get fixed. WV Senator Joe Manchin's daughter is the CEO of Mylan Pharmaceuticals, one of the biggest generic drug manufacturers in the world.

remember when bernie went to a townhall in wv and got a standing ovation, proving conclusively that hes a racexist

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Ein cooler Typ posted:

People who have good character don't get pleasure from opioids except for the pain relief

well yeah this goes without saying

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
Columbus OH has a fentanyl related death about once a day.

RIP bitches

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

Ein cooler Typ posted:

i'd say the exact opposite is true

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
my Dad kept me off hard drugs by throwing a dead hooker at me while playing videogames whenever i least expected it

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Putty posted:

my Dad kept me off hard drugs by throwing a dead hooker at me while playing videogames whenever i least expected it

You're welcome

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
its sad isnt it? this is what marijuana does to a nation

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That is cool and good imo. More deads = more jobs for everyone!

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
opiods have a long way to go to catch up to alcohol at killing people, let alone tobacco lol

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."

Colonel Cancer posted:

That is cool and good imo. More deads = more jobs for everyone!

But do i want the jobs that a heavily drug addled person can do?? I need more programmers to start opiod abuse.

PromethiumX
Mar 5, 2003
I can't drive anywhere without seeing 3 cops sitting running radar. If I go 2 blocks west I get offered prescription drugs by random dudes at the gas station when I pull up to the pump.

Shows where the priorities really are.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LAwS2piHrU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5u1sLJEmEo

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

we solved aids though

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
:gas: thread, ban OPioids

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I had to hit this girl with some narcan once cause she was obv dying and my reward was her punching me in the face. I had an EMT tell me once this is relatively common with hitting a dying opiate addict with narcan they tend to come out of it super pissed that you just saved their life.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

we solved aids though

Turns out the real aids was inside us the whole time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

EorayMel posted:

:gas: thread, ban OPiods

OPoid epidemic out of control

• Locked thread