Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

omnibobb posted:

I Extremely Dislike this cover.

Like, she's not even looking at what she's doing.

A huge gently caress off monster has just destroyed part of the city walls and is walking at you and she's just like oh hum and soulcasting it while holding a big gently caress off sword made specifically to fight that monster and she looks like she doesn't give a gently caress.

You know those pictures from facebook where it's the girl who is "casually modeling" and the captions are all like "I accidentally leaned against this wall seductively. I'm not a model"? Thats what Jasnah looks like she's doing here. "I'm not a hero"

I loled.

In the concept art for the cover you can see she's above a bunch of dudes with holding spears under her. I wonder if she's "protecting the city" and also trying to get away from them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be honest all the covers for the storm light books are rather boring.

So I don't really care.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

omnibobb posted:

A huge gently caress off monster has just destroyed part of the city walls and is walking at you and she's just like oh hum and soulcasting it while holding a big gently caress off sword made specifically to fight that monster and she looks like she doesn't give a gently caress.

You know those pictures from facebook where it's the girl who is "casually modeling" and the captions are all like "I accidentally leaned against this wall seductively. I'm not a model"? Thats what Jasnah looks like she's doing here. "I'm not a hero"

You're not really supposed to judge books by their covers. If you are, you're doing it wrong.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Odette posted:

You're not really supposed to judge books by their covers. If you are, you're doing it wrong.

I judged a cover by its cover.

I feel this is alright.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Odette posted:

I judge covers by their books, is that wrong too? :v:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
American covers are almost universally horrible. European covers generally own.

I'm American if it matters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be honest all the covers for the storm light books are rather boring.

So I don't really care.

Eh, opposite to me. I love seeing a Michael Whelan cover. It hits me right in the nostalgias. His cover art from the 80s and early 90s is some of the best looking fantasy covers. I think he was more or less exclusive to Del Rey imprints in the US.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

DarkHorse posted:

I like some of the concepts more than the final product. Everything just seems so static. At least in the concepts you had motion in the poses, or Jasnah actually facing the giant.

Also the "growing metal" idea really didn't translate for me in the imagery. Neat concept though.

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer a fleshed-out version of this:

Ah well. At least the shardblade looks kinda cool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

omnibobb posted:

The cover should've been Dalinar, young Blackthorn Dalinar at that. OTOH I'll be getting the book in digital form so it's not like I'll see the cover for more than a few seconds so whatever.

smug n stuff posted:

Yeah, I'd definitely prefer a fleshed-out version of this:

Ah well. At least the shardblade looks kinda cool.

A cover of her facing down a Thunderclast would be far better than what was shown.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

I'm... really not a fan. It looks like a generic fantasy or romance novel. It just needs Fabio on there holding Jasnah in a passionate embrace. The shardblade is cool though.

The sole purpose of that cover is to communicate in one glance "this is a fantasy novel" so that people who like fantasy focus on it long enough to read "#1 New York Times Bestselling Author".

Once a book has been picked up in the store, the cover is totally irrelevant.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Books dont have covers anymore, you just select them in your Kindle app.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Captain Monkey posted:

This. I love tangible books, but gently caress if I have any more space for them. Especially Sanderson's binding-limit-pushing affairs.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

^

My kindle is pushed to the limit with Sanderson because I like most books in hard copy, but it's much easier to have all the cosmere stuff in one tiny screen.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Question:

In Bands of Mourning, when Wax had the Bands and tapped them to use allomantic powers that he did not have naturally, where did he get the metals to actually use those powers? Did I overlook him drinking a 16 metal mix? As far as I understand, tapping the Bands only gives you the ability to burn a certain metal, right? Or do they give you the power outright?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
They were feruchemical stores that could be used by anyone, and while they also granted allomancy at Elend-strength levels he only burned steel during his brief stint using the bands - his pushes were just much stronger. He did use a bunch if the feruchemical stores though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But at least Marasi used steelpushing to fly I think?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Free Way of Kings download on the 23'rd and 24'th.
http://www.tor.com/2017/03/20/march-2017-free-download-way-of-kings/

As somebody who has only just recently finished the Mistborn trilogy (on my kindle no less), a free ebook copy for Way of Kings sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 21, 2017

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
It's a damned good deal.

Fair warning: This is the first volume of a planned 10 volume series, so there's a lot of groundwork being laid. The first scene is especially "this is how I shot web" clunky. That said, when things start picking up they start moving along rather nicely, and as a benefit the subsequent books can hit the ground running--WoR is much better paced.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Filthy Monkey posted:

As somebody who has only just recently finished the Mistborn trilogy (on my kindle no less), a free ebook copy for Way of Kings sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Way of Kings was free on iBooks back when WoR came out too, which was nice.

Don't forget to get the free Warbreaker PDF off of Sanderson's site too if you haven't read it yet. It's pretty good. Wouldn't hurt to read it before you start the Stormlight books either since it's shorter and not part of a series* beyond being a Cosmere book.

* a 2nd Warbreaker book is planned but it'll be awhile before we see it.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

Torrannor posted:

Question:

In Bands of Mourning, when Wax had the Bands and tapped them to use allomantic powers that he did not have naturally, where did he get the metals to actually use those powers? Did I overlook him drinking a 16 metal mix? As far as I understand, tapping the Bands only gives you the ability to burn a certain metal, right? Or do they give you the power outright?

Marasi hands him one of the vial of metals that she stole from the soldiers, after he recovers from death. The only reason he was able to push the rubble was the steel he still had before he died.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Evil Fluffy posted:

A cover of her facing down a Thunderclast would be far better than what was shown.

I thought it was the GOP elephant. Isn't this the political cartoons thread?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Filthy Monkey posted:

http://www.tor.com/2017/03/23/download-the-way-of-kings-march-23-24/

A helpful reminder to all that this is a Thing. It says it's only available to those in the US and Canada but you kind of select your country with a dropdown box so I don't know how rigorous these checks are.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Yeah. Even if you already have the doorstopper it's nice to have a digital copy too. Took advantage of this immediately.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Check your spam folder for the email they send you with the download link too. That is where mine ended up.

Edit: Also, the .mobi file is too large to send to a kindle via gmail. I had to use the sendtokindle program to do it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/pc

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Bonnono
May 2, 2006

Well Oathbringer is available for pre-order. Amazon has Nov 14 as the release date(sure that will change).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bonnono posted:

Well Oathbringer is available for pre-order. Amazon has Nov 14 as the release date(sure that will change).

That's the date given on brandonsanderson.com

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Shame there's no hardback + ebook bundles, I'd really like that. Don't ask me why I want to own physical books when I read the ebook version but it's something I do.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Shame there's no hardback + ebook bundles, I'd really like that. Don't ask me why I want to own physical books when I read the ebook version but it's something I do.

If I had the space for it, totally. The art on these is really good too...or at least, doesn't scream "cheesy terribad romance novel" like the WoT books.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Just finished Way of Kings.

The only things of Sanderson I'd read before was the Mistborn Trilogy, and there's definite increase in quality, he's better, if not perfect, about defining characters now (Kaladin and Dalinari in particular do stoic badass in different but equally excellent ways).

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Spuckuk posted:

The only things of Sanderson I'd read before was the Mistborn Trilogy, and there's definite increase in quality, he's better, if not perfect, about defining characters now (Kaladin and Dalinari in particular do stoic badass in different but equally excellent ways).

He just keeps getting better. Words of Radiance is even better than Way of Kings.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

Spuckuk posted:

I'd recommend reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance. It turns an odd thing into a cool little easter egg. Any more than that and I'm afraid I'd spoil you.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I have to say, Dalinar just handing out the 'oh and I'm hitting on your mom' mic drop made me laugh out loud

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

jebrown84 posted:

I'd recommend reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance. It turns an odd thing into a cool little easter egg. Any more than that and I'm afraid I'd spoil you.

There's also an Elantrian in the pure lake intermission, I forget his name though and even after having read Elantris it didn't click until I saw it mentioned elsewhere.

They should read Warbreaker either way because it's a good book and Sanderson gives it out for free as a PDF on his website so there's literally no excuse not to get it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

I have to say, Dalinar just handing out the 'oh and I'm hitting on your mom' mic drop made me laugh out loud

It was already beyond "hitting on" at that point IIRC, in action (so to speak) and in that particular line of dialogue (as spoken).

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

It was already beyond "hitting on" at that point IIRC, in action (so to speak) and in that particular line of dialogue (as spoken).

I believe it's more like

'..and I'm courting your aunt, you might want to get used to that'

Delivered like a boss. There's no mention of them sleeping together until after that confrontation.

Words of Radiance off to a better pace than Kings as well. I'll get round to Warbreaker next.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Spuckuk posted:

I believe it's more like

'..and I'm courting your aunt, you might want to get used to that'

Delivered like a boss. There's no mention of them sleeping together until after that confrontation.

Words of Radiance off to a better pace than Kings as well. I'll get round to Warbreaker next.

Mother, not aunt, since that was Dalinar to Elhokar.

Courting was the word, yes, but to me courtship is more involved than dating/hitting on.

SarandonBranderson
Apr 7, 2017
I paid another $10 just to post in one thread. This one. If my plans proceed apace without me being banned or otherwise dismembered, I'll be posting here often enough. I am dedicating a significant portion of my life to writing parodies of Brandon Sanderson's books, and my first experiment is upon us! "THE ANNOYOMANCER". A 49,000 word parody of the Mistborn series. To be followed by "Yo! Mo' Annoyomancerz" once "The Lost Metal" comes out.

I started reading Brandon Sanderson's books about a year ago. Elantris --> The Reckoners Series --> The Rithmatist --> All 6 Mistborn Books + Arcanum Unbonded.

I'm taking an outer space break before Warbreaker and The Stormlight Archive books. I don't mind spoilers in the meantime though. I plan to comb through them carefully, and put at least half as much effort into my next parody novel as Brandon Sanderson puts into the least of his jobbies.

When I started reading the Mistborn novels, I was overwhelmed by a notion of formula. There are common occurrences that just seem to happen, feelings that are always so deliberatly drawn forth in Sanderson's stories. Crisis of religious faith! The chosen hero not getting empowered until it's too late!

And there's an unnatural dearth of sex! (Though I'm told there's some in Warbreaker.) And I don't mean no description of sex, that's understandable. I mean, Vin and Elend never have sex. Wax might be a forty year old virgin. (He and Lessie just ride around shootin' folks!) There's no proof that Wayne and MeLaan have any clue what they're doing, biologically speaking.

I just felt there should be a parody of Sanderson's books, starting with the Mistborn series. No one else is going to do it, the sacred charge falls upon me. This is my fate. Hopefully some discussion will help me get better at it as I go, though I'm nearly satisfied with THE ANNOYOMANCER as it is now.

Has anyone else here ever felt the pull to parody Sanderson? Or know anyone who has? If there are more of us then we could form a cabal. A sinister cabal!

How long will it take me to read all 200+ pages of this thread? Working through it now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ok.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Vin and Elend are canonically banging whenever they have a chance - they share a bed it doesn't need a blow-by-blow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

:thumbsup: