Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Somfin posted:

Try selling your OS chip.

NA does a lot of "letting the player 100% gently caress themselves" which I think has become a lost art in game design. I applaud it for that. And I'm pleased to see that Platinum can make open world games. I just wish that overleveled enemies had some sort of exploitable weakness besides remembering to use the heavy weapon counter move.

"Huh, these robots aren't attacking me" then I started murdering them. Then I realized I could talk to them. Still worried I killed a quest NPC. You can also target the humanoid NPCs and I want to see if you can kill them but I don't want to gently caress my game.

Seconding that overleveled enemies thing though. Your dodge-counter R1 attack is good but not always viable. There's one quest where you have to kill a bunch of really strong level 30 dudes in 30 seconds without getting hit and it's just way too hard for me right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

spit on my clit posted:

Yahaha! You found me!

Korok seeds found: 1/900

Also perhaps trolling of the highest form from Nintendo. The reward for finding all of them? Literally a piece of poo poo.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Boofchicken posted:

Also perhaps trolling of the highest form from Nintendo. The reward for finding all of them? Literally a piece of poo poo.

did miyamoto channel the spirit of wario for this?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mentioned earlier in thread but I should state again:
The Nier games are good (or at least, have cool bits in them).
The Drakengard games are bad and soul-crushing to play, but they also have some small amusing bits.

To fully understand the story of Nier and Nier Automata, it helps to know the story of Drakengard 1 and 3 (2 is totally ignorable).

This does not mean you should actually play the Drakengard games, because as already stated, they're incredibly lovely to play.
Just read The Dark Id's LPs of them, they're well done, they link to FMVs when they happen, and they show off all the ridiculous 'weapon stories' you get from grinding.

His LP of Nier is good too but Nier is actually kind of fun to play and has good voice acting. You can just go back later and check the LP for bits you missed afterwards.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
JordanKai was doing a Nier LP and one of his supplemental videos was a synopsis for Drakengard. Unfortunately it's been shelved indefinitely but it's a fast enough watch and I think it explains things that may have been lost when the game got translated to English.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Action Tortoise posted:

JordanKai was doing a Nier LP and one of his supplemental videos was a synopsis for Drakengard. Unfortunately it's been shelved indefinitely but it's a fast enough watch and I think it explains things that may have been lost when the game got translated to English.

What is there to miss? Drakengard 1 is incredibly simple of a plot, near traditional at this point.

Caim a lovable sociopath turned mute in a soul pact with a Red dragon whom hate one another incinerate, stab, chop, crush, bludgeon and every other word for every other form of murder do so murderate a bunch of dudes with his trusty side kicks a Pedophile, a Cannibal and a super Racist. Along their way they encounter cannibal space babies born from a fuckstick bard shoving the corpse of Caims sister into a giant cum bubble seed thing. Caim and Angelus go to Tokyo engage in a massive rhythm battle game with a massive fetus prime queen that restarts the entire ordeal if you so much as gently caress up a single button press and are then shot down by the Japanese air force while everyone turns to horrible salt monsters.

really nothing extra ordinary or depressing there at all.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Feonir posted:

What is there to miss? Drakengard 1 is incredibly simple of a plot, near traditional at this point.

Some poo poo about the pedo jerking it in the woods and that's why he couldn't save the orphans in his care.

It's my only exposure to Drakengard save a longplay with zero commentary.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Back for more Zelda Breath of the Wild:

-Having explored most of the world now, there really aren't many enemy types. Palette swapped S/L moblins, skellies, jellies, bats, robots, big robots, octoroks, lizards, and a smattering of minibosses. I definitely get they had to budget in critters and animals everywhere, but for such a big world it just feels a little short.

That said,

-The dungeon design is exactly the same for the entire freaking game! I get that you like your fancy new ancient Sheikah tech motif but would it kill you to shake up the decor at least once? Or wrap it in vines? Or surround it in ice? Or anything? Even the guardian beasts are same same the whole way through! For how varied and unique the different over world environments are I'm surprised they left it this way.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I read TDI's Drakengard 3 LP and honestly did not understand how it tied into the other games at all. There's a flower or something and it implanted in Zero but then Zero split into all the Intoners and she has to kill them to contain the flower and also there's a time-traveling robot woman recording all this???

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Did you know that Batman's only skill whatsoever is that he owns a car? Well, I do now!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I need the car to get inside. I can't get past without the car. I need to bring the car here. I need the car. Give me the car. Let me touch the car.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tbf if your car was the batmobile wouldn't you always want to be using it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Every time I go back for some H:ZD after playing Breath of the Wild for a while I jump off a cliff without thinking and die.

Every time.

All games should have a paraglider.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I need the car to get inside. I can't get past without the car. I need to bring the car here. I need the car. Give me the car. Let me touch the car.

This is a dumb nerdy bullshit thing to be posting about but I always seriously thought that the Arkham games would be a lot better with another character like Alfred or Lucius alluding to the fact that Batman is totally murdering all these guys, and his detective-vision goggles are programmed to lie to him. Sure, that guy that I kicked forty feet into a wall headfirst before closing a vault door on his legs and planting bat-shaped C4 all over is totally fine. He'll definitely survive until medical care reaches him in this hellish city overrun by violent criminals, yep.

It even makes sense in-universe for the games, by Knight Batman is literally going insane and hallucinating. If you're his butler, wouldn't you want to make sure he doesn't flip out at the wrong time because oh gosh the thug actively trying to kill him accidentally got his neck snapped and died?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
If you fly into a group of thugs, they all wonder where your car is and if it's about to ambush them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

oldpainless posted:

That's basically what it feels like. The enemies spend a ton of time talking about The Car as well.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Better not touch the car or you'll get subdued, non-lethally.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Alfred: Pilot the Batmobile, Bruce. Or we'll make Barbara do it again.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Action Tortoise posted:

Alfred: Pilot the Batmobile, Bruce. Or we'll make Barbara do it again.

Centre the target, press the accelerator. Centre the target, press the accelerator. Centre the target, press the accelerator.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Every time I go back for some H:ZD after playing Breath of the Wild for a while I jump off a cliff without thinking and die.

Every time.

If you get the shield weave armor you can jump off most cliffs without taking damage.

Something that annoys me about the game is how it is intrinsic to the plot that you can take over robots and make them fight for you, but if you ever have the objective that you need to kill such and such robots, to get them to stop attacking a person or whatever, if you take over a robot the quest won't continue. You have to kill the robot, even if it is now no longer hostile.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Did you know that Batman's only skill whatsoever is that he owns a car? Well, I do now!

Batman's actual superpowers are enormous wealth and sociopathy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

oldpainless posted:

Not if I had the grapnel gun and could glide forever, no.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

"Bruce, if you hit someone with your car, they might die."

"Make it electrocute them, to protect them from the impact."

"My god, Bruce, you're a genius."

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

The taser-coated car nonlethally slamming into you at 70 miles per hour unexpectedly causes a traffic cone to slightly intersect one of your feet. Your 300-pound muscle body made entirely out of meat and biceps instantly turns into soft jelly as your limbs horribly contort and spack every which way, each passing frame rapidly blurring the line between man and cone. Within one second you are no longer in contact with the earth, but now spinning erratically through the air as if in a vacuum, limbs spastically snapping and reaching out in impossible directions, furiously trying to separate your hapless physical form from the ravenous clutches of the cone--But it is too late. In a matter of moments your amalgamated mess of a body is horrifically mangled into the geometry, and as more of your nonlethally-subdued form is forcibly intersected with the wall and floor, the faster the eldritch transformation takes place. When you no longer bear any resemblance to the generic muscle goon you once were, only a contorted and agonized mass of finely-tessellated polygons stretching away into the skybox, your only hope of salvation is for what used to be one of your legs to get propelled far enough beneath the map that it finally reaches the vast expanses of the kill volume. At last you find sweet release from this farcical hell as it coldly and uncaringly deletes you in a frame.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
was i picked on in middle school? hmm let me think
* Drove an electrified tank
* Parents were both dead (long story)
* Wore a cowl to school every day
* Had the batsignal instead of a mouth

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Guy Mann posted:

was i picked on in middle school? hmm let me think
* Drove an electrified tank
* Parents were both dead (long story)
* Wore a cowl to school every day
* Had the batsignal instead of a mouth

hmm, pretty good

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Warhammer: Total War is probably the best iteration of the Total War series yet. But holy poo poo, these loadtimes are atrocious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

muscles like this! posted:

If you get the shield weave armor you can jump off most cliffs without taking damage.

Something that annoys me about the game is how it is intrinsic to the plot that you can take over robots and make them fight for you, but if you ever have the objective that you need to kill such and such robots, to get them to stop attacking a person or whatever, if you take over a robot the quest won't continue. You have to kill the robot, even if it is now no longer hostile.

I took over a glinthawk at one point in a major city and it murdered it's buds and then hosed off to who knows where. It either found something to fight or a friendly human didn't get the memo because I heard fighting noise and then the objective popped that it died.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
In Arkham City, you could knock bad guys off of buildings, and I'm pretty sure a forty foot fall (while unconscious, to boot), is going to kill you. Especially after I slammed those gauntlet spikes into your face.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the THUD! noise that happens when you knock a guy out after interrogating them in Arkham games so meaty sounding.

he's definitely killing everyone who crosses his path.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

food court bailiff posted:

Every time.

This is a dumb nerdy bullshit thing to be posting about but I always seriously thought that the Arkham games would be a lot better with another character like Alfred or Lucius alluding to the fact that Batman is totally murdering all these guys, and his detective-vision goggles are programmed to lie to him. Sure, that guy that I kicked forty feet into a wall headfirst before closing a vault door on his legs and planting bat-shaped C4 all over is totally fine. He'll definitely survive until medical care reaches him in this hellish city overrun by violent criminals, yep.

It even makes sense in-universe for the games, by Knight Batman is literally going insane and hallucinating. If you're his butler, wouldn't you want to make sure he doesn't flip out at the wrong time because oh gosh the thug actively trying to kill him accidentally got his neck snapped and died?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byycwl8qgc

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Hyper Light Drifter

Just finished playing through this after getting it on a Steam sale and it's like a nightmare for completionists. The game itself is well polished and a lot of fun, but you have five or so different types of trinkets to search out and the method for finding the majority of them is to just push yourself up against every wall and every edge in every room in the game in the hopes of passing through to a secret or finding invisible pathways. I was relatively thorough about it and ended up with roughly 3/4 of every type of trinket at the end, but a lot of them are really unintuitive and without looking up a YouTube guide showing you exactly where a bunch of them are it would be mind-numbing to try and 100% this game on your own.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Have you noticed that there's almost always a small symbol on the ground next to secrets? I thought the secrets were actually pretty reasonable with that in mind

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Digirat posted:

Have you noticed that there's almost always a small symbol on the ground next to secrets? I thought the secrets were actually pretty reasonable with that in mind

The small square usually indicates a hidden path nearby and those are mostly fine. It's more the fake walls which are tedious to look for, since the walls aren't always completely straight already and whether or not a jagged bit indicates a secret is kind of arbitrary.

It's kind of a minor point to bring up though, since the rewards for unlocking all of any given secret are kind of negligible anyway. The overall presentation of the game along with the soundtrack and how it tells everything though pictographs and a language you can't read without looking up translations online are the real draw. There's no secret ending or anything that you can only get after reaching 100%.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
why would you complain about tedium when you're deliberately trying to mindlessly grind for a 100% that does nothing for you. isn't that the definition of tedious?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Breath of the Wild Let's see:

Framerate really bad in towns on the Wii U version.
Weapons and other gear break way too easily.
Enemies that can kill you in one hit. This is Zelda not Dark Souls.
Can't climb cliffs when it's raining.
Getting struck by lightning because you have a sword or metal shield equipped during a storm.
Horses that don't steer or control worth a gently caress.
Taking damage just by tumbling down a gentle hillside.

I'm now waiting for a patch from Nintendo but I get the feeling the Wii U version probably won't get another patch.

spasticColon has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Mar 21, 2017

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

spasticColon posted:

Enemies that can kill you in one hit. This is Zelda not Dark Souls.

Furthermore on this point, the game has a crazily inverted difficulty curve. Early on it seems like every other enemy kills you in one hit (even your own bombs are near-instantly fatal) but by around the halfway point, you'll be so indestructible that you probably won't need to use healing items for the rest of the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spasticColon posted:

I'm now waiting for a patch from Nintendo but I get the feeling the Wii U version probably won't get another patch.

This is actually why I'm not picking up the Wii U version. I'll wait until a few more games come out for the switch before buying one and hopefully BotW will drop in price lol yeah right Nintendo games never drop in price.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Lightning storms is just how the game is played. You should always have some non-metal stuff ready to equip in the major slots. Pay attention to weather.

Horses are sort of a tradeoff- you can go fast enough to avoid most enemies, but you do mostly want to do straight beelines and not try any tricky maneuvering. Good for following roads.

The framerate thing is notable but it's not so bad that I'd skip the Wii U version (if you have a Wii U and not a Switch, that is.) As I talked about earlier I get the feeling that a lot of this game was developed for the Wii U so they probably didn't have to take out a lot to make it fit there- I have not heard of any major features missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Nier: Automata has no autosaving.

On PC, crashes and softlocks are a problem.

This is not a Somfin-friendly combo.

Still love the game but that particular thing really, really pissed me off.