Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Good points, guess it's Nier for now. Thanks fam

Anything I should know before diving into Nier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are no saves until you finish the prologue, so don't try playing on hard

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There are no saves until you finish the prologue, so don't try playing on hard

lol dumb how long is that rougly?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
30 to 40 minutes, you have automatic healing items for its duration but don't get combo'd and mash dodge.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Instant Grat posted:

My experience with From Software was that I bought and played Dark Souls for PC and hated it. Then I got the 360 version for free on Xbox 360 and tried it again and loving hated it. Then I bought Bloodborne, and I loved it, and it somehow fixed my brain and made me realize how to have fun with the previous games in the franchise too.

Off-topic: Hbomberguy found my journey through the Soulsborne games so revelatory he made a feature-length YouTube video about it which half a million people have watched. Sometimes I remember that and I don't quite know what to think about it.

I typed up a whole post referring to that video just now and then read the rest of your post and realized we were talking about the same thing.

That's a cool video. Some of the points he made were super interesting, and I could see where he was coming from...though my problem with the regular souls games wasn't just the gameplay, but that Bloodborne's setting is 10x more interesting than the fantasy formula of the rest of the games.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I typed up a whole post referring to that video just now and then read the rest of your post and realized we were talking about the same thing.

That's a cool video. Some of the points he made were super interesting, and I could see where he was coming from...though my problem with the regular souls games wasn't just the gameplay, but that Bloodborne's setting is 10x more interesting than the fantasy formula of the rest of the games.

Got a link to that video?

I tried DS1 on pc and hated it (I got lost way too easily) , then used cheat engine on DS2 to give me max exp and I loved exploring the world (albeit with a guide) as it felt more structured I guess.

I'm not sure where Bloodborne sits but it's next on my list of games to play and I've heard that the combat is different enough to make it feel like a very different game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think bloodborne might be..... good?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Kin posted:

Got a link to that video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ps4 games ive played :

Assassins creed unity
Assassins creed syndicate
Dragon age inquisition
Fallout 4
Final fantasy XV
Witcher 3
Dishonored 2
Xcom 2

Currently playing :

Bloodborne

To do list :

Horizon zero dawn
Witcher 3 dlc
Da inquisition dlc(????)
Assassins creed black flag
Shadow of mordor
Nioh
Mass effect Andromeda
Prey
?????

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

fridge corn posted:

Ps4 games ive played :

Assassins creed unity
Assassins creed syndicate
Dragon age inquisition
Fallout 4
Final fantasy XV
Witcher 3
Dishonored 2
Xcom 2

Currently playing :

Bloodborne

To do list :

Horizon zero dawn
Witcher 3 dlc
Da inquisition dlc(????)
Assassins creed black flag
Shadow of mordor
Nioh
Mass effect Andromeda
Prey
?????

Missin' Nier: Automata on that list.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Missin' Nier: Automata on that list.

I have less than zero interest in playing that game

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I actually legitimately enjoyed those Drakengard LPs someone did way back when but the last thing any of them made me want to do is play any of them, heh. Is Nier more along those lines or does it, ah, fix some of those issues (endless grinding for weapons, every other character having a severe sexual mental illness, etc)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wolfsheim posted:

I actually legitimately enjoyed those Drakengard LPs someone did way back when but the last thing any of them made me want to do is play any of them, heh. Is Nier more along those lines or does it, ah, fix some of those issues (endless grinding for weapons, every other character having a severe sexual mental illness, etc)?

You're a Drakengard LP behind if you haven't read them in a while; The Dark Id LP'd the third game a few months back. It's magical.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfsheim posted:

Most of the characters are actually likeable this time around and there's a lot less of the tedious stuff associated with Taro's other stuff, though it still occasionally asks you to do busywork.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Get some interest then, it's fantastic

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Try the demo and play it to the end. I wasn't sure if I'd like it but after JUST replaying the demo to the end last night, the game is now top of my To Buy list.

It feels like Shadow of Colossus mixed with a Metal Gear Solid game where you get to play the cool stuff instead of watching it as cutscenes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I don't care how good neir Automata is, I don't want to play a game where the main character is some over-sexualised slutty anime babe. In not comfortable with supporting something like that by giving money to the people who created it

We've been through this discussion before!!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
That's fair enough, but maybe try to save adjectives like "slutty" for situations where they're even mildly relevant

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Instant Grat posted:

That's fair enough, but maybe try to save adjectives like "slutty" for situations where they're even mildly relevant

https://gamerant.com/nier-automata-butt-trophy/

It's okay because she swipes the camera away!!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exquisite tea posted:

https://gamerant.com/nier-automata-butt-trophy/

It's okay because she swipes the camera away!!

That doesn't happen unless you yourself choose to maneuver the camera under her skirt

I fail to see how that makes her a slut

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Souls 3 getting a proper Pro patch for upgraded frame rate :eyepop:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Dark Souls 3 getting a proper Pro patch for upgraded frame rate :eyepop:
Better, worse or the same as just using boost mode?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
There's no wrong reason to choose not to buy a game, I'm just trying to point out that fridge corn was using a pretty heavy and loaded word in a context that maybe wasn't entirely reasonable

Samurai Sanders posted:

Better, worse or the same as just using boost mode?

It's currently capped at 30, and it sounds like maybe this patch will up that? Hopefully, if that's their goal, they can get it to a stable 60 and it won't be Final Fantasy XV all over again

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Instant Grat posted:

That doesn't happen unless you yourself choose to maneuver the camera under her skirt

I fail to see how that makes her a slut

The fact that there is an achievement for looking under a character's skirt, meaning the player is rewarded in some form and encouraged for doing it, is understandably offputting to many. I can totally see why somebody wouldn't want to support that monetarily no matter how much they enjoyed the gameplay.

We can acknowledge that Automata is a good game while also saying the game's objectification of women is a little weird.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

I know nothing of the character other than she's dressed to attend a co-ed Halloween party which looks pretty slutty to me and you can literally blow her clothes off her in the game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Better than Boost apparently but according to their community manager, it's not gonna be locked 60FPS

Make of that what you will.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

exquisite tea posted:

The fact that there is an achievement for looking under a character's skirt, meaning the player is rewarded in some form and encouraged for doing it, is understandably offputting to many.

We can acknowledge that Automata is a good game while also saying the game's objectification of women is a little weird.

I never disagreed with that

I think we are having two different conversations, you and I

fridge corn posted:

looks pretty slutty to me

New thread title for the Automata thread right here

Also: lmao

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Better than Boost apparently but according to their community manager, it's not gonna be locked 60FPS

Make of that what you will.
I dunno what to make of that claim, it's pretty mysterious. Why say anything at all then?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna swing wildly between 30 and 60, woo!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Swinging wildly between 30-60 times per second is my preferred strategy for Dark Souls 3, From Software really thought of everything to establish thematic unity in this game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah everybody loves uncapped frame rates :henget:

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

fridge corn posted:

ah yes the game with the scantily clad sexbot in the centre of the screen for the entire game is definitely not pervy at all

fridge corn posted:

[responding to someone asking about the appeal of nier]:

its a japanese paedo game

Ah, I'm sorry I ever bothered engaging with you on this topic, I did not know how little it takes to get you to fling around words like "sexbot" and "slutty" and motherfucking "paedo"

Enjoy your video games, goon sir

Sakurazuka posted:

Yikes...

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 21, 2017

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Instant Grat posted:

Ah, I'm sorry I ever bothered engaging with you on this topic, I did not know how little it takes to get you to fling around words like "sexbot" and "slutty" and motherfucking "paedo"

Enjoy your video games, goon sir

But can you offer any defense to the accusations? 🤔

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

He did in fact post quotes to your bad posts. I'm not sure what other proof you need.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

fridge corn posted:

She's not a sexbot, so that's one. She's not portrayed as underage at all, so that's two. A dress and thigh-high boots doesn't really count as "scantily clad" where I'm from but maybe it's different in your country so I'll leave that one be. The only thing someone has brought up to back up that "slutty" statement has been "you the player can choose to look under her skirt if you want, and this somehow makes the character of 2B a slut".

I'm not telling you to buy the game, I'm not even telling you to have no objections to the character design! But throwing around these words ("paedo", dude, seriously?) makes you come off as a tiny bit rabid. Just don't play the game! Then we can all be happy :)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Instant Grat posted:

She's not a sexbot, so that's one. She's not portrayed as underage at all, so that's two. A dress and thigh-high boots doesn't really count as "scantily clad" where I'm from but maybe it's different in your country so I'll leave that one be. The only thing someone has brought up to back up that "slutty" statement has been "you the player can choose to look under her skirt if you want, and this somehow makes the character of 2B a slut".

I'm not telling you to buy the game, I'm not even telling you to have no objections to the character design! But throwing around these words ("paedo", dude, seriously?) makes you come off as a tiny bit rabid. Just don't play the game! Then we can all be happy :)

you don't understand, if you wear a short dress you're a slut!!!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Andrast posted:

He did in fact post quotes to your bad posts. I'm not sure what other proof you need.

No he just balked at the suggestion that the character looks slutty but didn't offer and evidence of explanation to the contrary

This conversation is not constructive so I don't wish to continue it. I don't see how my posts highlighting a obviously highly problematic issue in a video game could be considered "bad" other than people seem to have been offended by it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

No he just balked at the suggestion that the character looks slutty but didn't offer and evidence of explanation to the contrary

This conversation is not constructive so I don't wish to continue it. I don't see how my posts highlighting a obviously highly problematic issue in a video game could be considered "bad" other than people seem to have been offended by it.

Are you being obtuse on purpose? People were fine with you objecting to the sexualization of the characters in the game, they weren't fine with using the term "slutty" and especially not with "paedo".

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Am I having a loving stroke or are you seriously objecting to the objectification of 2B via her character design (fine, good, that's a conversation we can have) in the same breath that you're deriding it as "looking slutty" (?????)

EDIT: You know what, you're right about one thing: We should stop this conversation, it is going nowhere fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

you don't understand, if you wear a short dress you're a slut!!!

There is a distinct difference in agency between an actual human being choosing to wear revealing clothing and a fictional character being designed that way

I never said the character was a slut, I was refering to her appearance and its intention to titillate