Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember reading about a goon here who talked all about his time spent working at the south pole. I thought it was in A/T but I scoured that place and can't find it. Anyways I applied for a job there and I was just thinking about how cool it would be to spend a year in Antarctica, even at McMurdo, that'd be pretty cool. The South Pole is like whoah, though.

I really want to see this thing. I learned all about it at college and it is so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

This thing looks freakin sweet!!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Are you getting a job to find out if global warming is real??

shoophobo
Aug 30, 2013

"shoophobo? more like shittyposter!" :grin:

Fallen Rib
it's cold there

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
uhh why not just use a freezer to get your ice cubes?

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.
that guy killed himself

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I think they get drunk a lot and try not to freeze to death. If you don't mind total isolation for a year it could be cool!

PokeCrysis
Apr 15, 2013

shoophobo posted:

it's cold there

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

myDad posted:

This thing looks freakin sweet!!

want my dick all up in that cube

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
yo NZ is gonna pull a south china seas and take back antarctica for our snow sheep's lebenstraum so get the gently caress otuta hererr

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SHISHKABOB posted:

I remember reading about a goon here who talked all about his time spent working at the south pole.

http://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/antarctica-living-working/1/

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wow I found that one and for some reason thought it wouldn't be it, cause it wasn't, you know, a thread. THanks!

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wow I found that one and for some reason thought it wouldn't be it, cause it wasn't, you know, a thread. THanks!

I remember the thread too, it was p cool. Especially how people would go crazly, like you'd be talking to someone then they start sobbing uncontrollably for no reason. They called it "getting toasty".

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I remember the thread too, it was p cool. Especially how people would go crazly, like you'd be talking to someone then they start sobbing uncontrollably for no reason. They called it "getting toasty".

I coulda swore it was longer than that, though. I guess it's lost to the sands of time though.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

SHISHKABOB posted:

I remember reading about a goon here who talked all about his time spent working at the south pole. I thought it was in A/T but I scoured that place and can't find it. Anyways I applied for a job there and I was just thinking about how cool it would be to spend a year in Antarctica, even at McMurdo, that'd be pretty cool. The South Pole is like whoah, though.

I really want to see this thing. I learned all about it at college and it is so cool.

So they built a huge science experiment to see if the south pole has ice?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
You're building a space elevator dipshit

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7edsEUQB-J8

quote:

Acclaimed filmmaker Werner Herzog travels to Antarctica, where he finds a desolate, beautiful landscape, largely untouched by human hands, and a group of truly unique people who risk their lives to study it. Centered at McMurdo Station, the United States' largest Antarctic research center, Herzog explores the minds of the scientists willing to abandon civilization and endure volatile conditions to learn more about the continent's wildlife and awe-inspiring natural wonders.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
what would it be like

if you were able to go to antartica but you spent most of the time vomiting in a cold bathroom

meet girls at the store
Nov 4, 2002
There's a great documentary called "Antarctica: A Year on the Ice." It's usually on Netflix and it's rad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361700/

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Bring me back some ice op I'm almost out

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
So I suppose you're not going to miss having sex

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I bet there's primo scientist tang (and they all know their way around a pole)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
One of my former bosses worked there for 6 months with 2 other guys. Almost all the stories he would tell about that time is the different ways they would come up with to jerk off. Almost all of them were some variant of "the stranger".

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Here you go OP. Here's some Ice Cube for ya, and you don't even gotta go to the South.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPlF-IEkXQ

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why is there a giant twister game on top of that ice cube? Is that incase the polar bears get bored?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

lol if you posted:

that guy killed himself

He's sitting in a burned out base staring at Keith David, waiting to see who freezes to death first.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

big deal, i do that all the time and i've never even been to antarctica

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

meet girls at the store posted:

There's a great documentary called "Antarctica: A Year on the Ice." It's usually on Netflix and it's rad.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2361700/

I've seen this, it's pretty good

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

spud posted:

Why is there a giant twister game on top of that ice cube? Is that incase the polar bears get bored?

Those are the tops of really long wires with the detectors on them. They hang down big holes like Christmas lights.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wouldn't mind living at the south pole as long as they have good wifi

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I wouldn't mind living at the south pole as long as they have good wifi

It's probably decent, cause it would be satellite. But also probably mostly used for sending important stuff.

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

i heard that the pyramids dont' have wifi in them so i will miss ur posting

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
the pyramids had good internet before grave robbers stole all the copper wiring

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SHISHKABOB posted:

Did they find the ice cube yet?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
the thing is a documentary fyi

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
we should colonize Antarctica. they could set up living spaces under the ice, and power them with nuclear generators. it would be like living on an alien planet

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
my decades of robust space station 13 experience have prepared me for the thing

Rutibex posted:

we should colonize Antarctica. they could set up living spaces under the ice, and power them with nuclear generators. it would be like living on an alien planet

they already did this in greenland

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Fallows posted:

So they built a huge science experiment to see if the south pole has ice?

it detects neutrinos

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
its says "ice cube detector" right on the picture :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice

nigga crab pollock posted: