Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Last couple times I've played we've had full or near full groups. BO3 still owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I bought BO3 and returned it because nobody was playing it at the time.

Guess I'll get it again. PS Pro games look so good.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
the ballistic knife isn't good because everyone jumps around like monkeys...it's a slower shadowclaw basically

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I don't loving "get" how to build up momentum in TF2 so I hate the movement system right now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I don't loving "get" how to build up momentum in TF2 so I hate the movement system right now.

I think it still has a version of the quirk in the Source engine where diagonal movement rapidly increases your speed up to the maximum, and you want to combine it with constant wall runs.

Talk to Versus about it; he and Etedor showed off some sweet moves when I checked their streams.

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
Double double XP weekend in BLOPS 3. Plus you get a fancy new calling card if you log in today. Stop wasting time with IW and come back to BLOPS.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
10 long shots with the ballistic knife, vondy why

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The floor is lava/chain your wallruns. Sliding around corners and into buildings is also powerful since the speed makes it hard to track, but you can't spam slides. Use your movement to flank, which is especially powerful since the minimap won't paint your exact location for the enemy team. The best weapons for this playstyle are the SMGs, the EVA shotgun, and even some ARs (R-201, Flatline) since hipfire is very accurate.

There are now 20 extra prestiges in IW. You can tell what prestige someone is by the unique logos these prestiges get, and the big orange MPXX that replaces your level in lobbies. The rewards are low effort for having to go through the grind of having things relocked; no unique cosmetics or box bribes, only classic weapon perks and MkII XP boosts.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

sba posted:

10 long shots with the ballistic knife, vondy why

The answer is always the upstairs gap on Combine.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Godzilla07 posted:

The floor is lava/chain your wallruns. Sliding around corners and into buildings is also powerful since the speed makes it hard to track, but you can't spam slides. Use your movement to flank, which is especially powerful since the minimap won't paint your exact location for the enemy team. The best weapons for this playstyle are the SMGs, the EVA shotgun, and even some ARs (R-201, Flatline) since hipfire is very accurate.

There are now 20 extra prestiges in IW. You can tell what prestige someone is by the unique logos these prestiges get, and the big orange MPXX that replaces your level in lobbies. The rewards are low effort for having to go through the grind of having things relocked; no unique cosmetics or box bribes, only classic weapon perks and MkII XP boosts.

I wish those were the actual prestiges and not what we got in the first place. Some of the emblems are pretty cool.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

jase1 posted:

Double double XP weekend in BLOPS 3. Plus you get a fancy new calling card if you log in today. Stop wasting time with IW and come back to BLOPS.

Let's play. Get on, ya'll.

Welp, I should've known all ya'll would be too drunk tonight to play. Mill and I loving owned it though.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 18, 2017

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

You carried the gently caress out of me.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Mister Macys posted:

The answer is always the upstairs gap on Combine.

it's not a long shot, I hit one and didnt get the medal - the only time I got the medal was doing orange house second floor back room on Nuketown to the other window and a window to window on fringe

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What the gently caress, is it AR range for it's long shot medal?

There's always the tracks on Fringe, then. Great high traffic area once you zero in the travel arc.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
it must be AR range, I'm sure they didn't consider it when they just threw it in the game or whatever...same with when the blade launcher thing had the 50 revenge / 50 survivor (which the ballistic knife also has)

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."

Mister Macys posted:

Let's play. Get on, ya'll.

Welp, I should've known all ya'll would be too drunk tonight to play. Mill and I loving owned it though.

gently caress! I put the game in with every intention of playing but the scotch got the best of me and I passed out.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Sadly I keep missing any groups, but that's what overtime does. I sleep in until well past midnight these days -_-

I'll try to be online tonight if anyone's around.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Never. Again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Now play a real game.

EDIT:

:lol: they have a bundle on IW. 165 keys for 5 crates + 1 crates that guarantees a legendary or better.

Except...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryYZUeXIEZ0

just loving lol that there's legendary and epic salvage

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 19, 2017

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

LEGENDARY SALVAGE!!! gets you half a newb gun from the quartermaster

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

even Sales Disappointment Titanfall 2 hasn't dropped below $20

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/843615485522395136

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Not even Ghosts dropped in price that fast.

Used copies of BO3 currently cost more than new copies of IW. Speaking of which, anyone want to play that tonight?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Sure.

Personally speaking, the only game that died this fast before going back to the previous release was World at War (between February/Match).

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

Partyvan and I have a blops 3 game going now. Join on him or chacha.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

I actually ordered a copy of Ghosts for PS4 a few days ago. I might check out Extinction or just dick around with my EBR again. I wonder if I'm still one of the few people running Blind Eye to ignore the Oracle streak.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There's still around 2k people playing Ghosts last I checked. Only a few hundred playing Extinction and after however many years it's been people STILL gently caress up the easiest god drat challenges.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

War... War never changes...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So are people just moving over to Andromeda now or is that game as terrible as the reviews say?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So are people just moving over to Andromeda now or is that game as terrible as the reviews say?

The reviews say the writing, voice acting, story, quests, and animations are all poo poo, but the shooty is in fact, still fun.
No wall running or mech driving though.

7/10

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Virtually every senior Bioware employee is gone so I'm not surprised it ended up that way.

Kinda like IW.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mill Village posted:

Virtually every senior Bioware employee is gone so I'm not surprised it ended up that way.

Kinda like IW.

Pretty much, yeah.
A summary on Bioware's downfall:

Rookersh posted:

Bioware doesn't exist anymore.

DA:O was a surprise success that took 6ish years to make and almost everyone working at Bioware to put out the door. EA had no faith in it, and suddenly it was one of their top selling franchises. So they did what EA does to highly successful franchises, and asked Bioware to make another one. Except for this new one, they wanted it started and finished in under a year, as they had a dream of an annual RPG franchise. Mind you that's hard enough to pull off for FPS games which are relatively simple to make with multiple teams. Bioware was expected to put together a full length AAA RPG in 6-7 months while also putting out the last of the DA:O DLC.

This killed the company. Huge swathes of people up and quit. They couldn't handle the stress. They couldn't handle what they were expected to do. Every single major program director and creative lead left the company during this year period where they were developing DA2. Go look at LinkedIn profiles for the major people that worked on DA:O, and more then half of them suddenly leave Bioware in 2010. The combat director quit and wasn't replaced for months, so they had no real lead directing what the combat should have been during that period. Major story beats and combat ideas got forced into the game in the final months of 2010 not because they were good, but because the game needed to ship in a few months and it needed to get out the door. To help the DA team actually finish DA2 in a somewhat annual fashion, they drew most of the ME2 team off ME, throwing them into this grinder as well.

By the time DA2 launched, around half if not more of the original "Bioware" was gone. Go through the credits of DA:O, ME1, or ME2 and start LinkedIning people, none of them work for Bioware anymore. Most left between 2010 and 2012.

It's been a pretty steady drain since then. Compare the credits list of Inquisition to the credits list of DA:O or DA2. It's almost an entirely new team, and it's a team that Bioware specifically hired to replace the losses from DA2. It's why so many styles have changed since then, why the gameplay changed so steadily, and why they chose to try so many new things. Because Inquisition wasn't made by the DA:O team trying their hand at open world game design. It was maybe 1/6th of the guys that even touched DA:O/DA2 suddenly getting an influx of new blood, most of it Bioware fans finally getting a chance to work for the company they loved, that had great new ideas for what they wanted out of future Bioware games.

It's the same for the ME team. The brain drain has been bad, and the development of Andromeda has apparently picked off massive chunks of the team. The lead writer of the group was the lead writer for Halo 4, and he apparently clashed with a lot of the senior writers/main writers of previous ME games. A whole bunch of goon favorite ME writers have quit the company, and on various development forums have mentioned it was due to creative differences with the former lead writer. Gameplay leads have been leaving the ME/Bioware teams at a pretty steady pace since the game was developed as well. The story had to be picked up mid completion as the lead writer got forced out/quit and replaced, which likely doesn't mean great things for the narrative ( which we are also seeing here. ). Andromeda has currently had the great slow drip of Bioware talent since the dark days of 2010 when DA2 "killed" the company. They've been forced to cycle talent multiple times during the development of Andromeda, not just in management ( which has seen multiple complete turnovers ), but also among the rank and file people working on the game.

This isn't to say Andromeda can't be great, or that it won't live up to the hype. I'm personally hoping it does because I need something to play right now. But if it's good, it'll be good on it's own merits and it's own merits alone, rather then because "it's a Bioware game, I like Bioware!". Because Bioware doesn't exist anymore, it's a completely new entity and needs to be treated as such. People really need to be viewing this as "EA'S NEW ACQUISITION, BIOWARE VICTORY'S FIRST RPG. HOPE IT'S GOOD." rather then "Bioware always makes quality. I know what I'll get here.". As it is right now, EA is propping up Bioware's corpse with a new studio and hoping people don't notice while they keep using it as their RPG house.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Did they ever fix that thing in AW where you were locked out of playing with anyone who didn't have the same DLC you owned. I can't believe I paid $30 extra to basically get locked out of MP

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Mister Macys posted:

The reviews say the writing, voice acting, story, quests, and animations are all poo poo, but the shooty is in fact, still fun.
No wall running or mech driving though.

7/10
Speaking of which I'll be MEA MP'ing tonight with some friends so if you have terrible taste like I do and want to do some MP join us.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It took me over a year, but I finally got *a* Nuclear medal.

45-0 with a team forfeit. Final score: 72-9.

housefly
Sep 11, 2001

On aquarium no less. Nice work!

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Andromeda is pretty good. I'm having fun with it so far.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

It took me over a year, but I finally got *a* Nuclear medal.

45-0 with a team forfeit. Final score: 72-9.

Do you think if I just follow you around I'll get a contact high and suddenly git gud?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mill Village posted:

Do you think if I just follow you around I'll get a contact high and suddenly git gud?

I've tried this. It doesn't work.

That said being front row when he dies to some bullshit is worth it.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mill Village posted:

It worked for Toast. :ocelot::smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

My problem with following Macys, Javes, or Aaron is that I don't even follow them. I go find my own kills and land a good 2 bullets before someone flies by and takes the kill. It's almost impressive how once they get a rhythm going the team becomes this swarm of jumping piranhas that just go from A to C to A to C killing everything in their path. And I'm like 4 seconds behind looking for scraps.

• Locked thread