Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Welsper posted:

Lamy 2000 nibs are quite replaceable, just expensive.

Christ, isn't that half again as much as a new pen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Kessel posted:

Christ, isn't that half again as much as a new pen?

Hi, welcome to the fountain pen enthusiast thread

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I have two Lamy pens that both need work and I'm trying to figure if it's worth using their customer service.

Issue One - An All Star or Al Amar or whatever with a pen clip that got bent to hell by being in my pocket and getting caught.

Issue Two - A Green Apple Safari that will not loving start no matter what I do to it. I've taken it apart and I'm stumped.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Captain Log posted:

I have two Lamy pens that both need work and I'm trying to figure if it's worth using their customer service.

Issue One - An All Star or Al Amar or whatever with a pen clip that got bent to hell by being in my pocket and getting caught.

Issue Two - A Green Apple Safari that will not loving start no matter what I do to it. I've taken it apart and I'm stumped.

For #2, have you tried the usual fixes? That is, removing the nib and running a brass sheet between the tines, inspecting for baby bottom and tine alignment, and cleaning the feed really really thoroughly. Does it write when you tap it to get the flow started first? Does more absorbent paper make it start properly (like cotton paper)?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

For #2, have you tried the usual fixes? That is, removing the nib and running a brass sheet between the tines, inspecting for baby bottom and tine alignment, and cleaning the feed really really thoroughly. Does it write when you tap it to get the flow started first? Does more absorbent paper make it start properly (like cotton paper)?

I haven't gone super in depth because for ten bucks I can send it in and get it serviced. I don't want to make anything worse. It just won't start and I can't figure out why. If there is a good troubleshooting video I'd appreciate it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I got a Pilot Falcon and it's honestly really disappointing for an expensive pen. The plastic body feels thin and cheap and the gold nib isn't that great. Hopefully it'll grow on me, but right now I like my vanishing point a lot more.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Yeah the Custom series feel much better than Falcons, especially when you go up to 912.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I think Pilot should retire the Falcon line and just move some of the JDM Custom models into the wider market. The former is a bit of an anachronism and the full Custom line can easily be adapted to add the Falcon's nib selection.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Welsper posted:

Lamy 2000 nibs are quite replaceable, just expensive.

Ha ha ha I guess it depends on your definition of replaceable. You can just buy a new pen and it replaced the bad nib. But what I would call a replacement would not be so expensive it's insane to not just buy a new one.

But good to know! Anyways luckilly my Lamy seems fine. Keep taking notes with it this morning and its a trooper.

edit: I'm lucky for two reasons. First the pen survived fine. Second I like it and this is good because given what happened I am never selling or exchanging this pen to anyone so I had better like it :-)

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 19, 2017

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Kessel posted:

I think Pilot should retire the Falcon line and just move some of the JDM Custom models into the wider market. The former is a bit of an anachronism and the full Custom line can easily be adapted to add the Falcon's nib selection.

You're a monster of the worst kind.

Also I just bought a Falcon.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
The Falcon really does have sort of a weird feel to it. The plastic feels a little too light to feel like it's high quality. It feels like a pretty good nib in a cheap pen. I used it for a while for novelty, but my workhorse is my TWSBI. I'd like to get something a little fancier to use from day to day, but I've decided it's got to have a little heft.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Asking as someone fairly new to fountain pens: Was there a time when the Falcon was well-regarded, or thought of as one of Pilot's better offerings?

Lots of pens are controversial; people love to complain about TWSBI's old QC issues or Visconti's recent ones, or argue back and forth about sweet spot sensitivity, or perceived scratchiness, or grip comfort, etc. But they're almost always two-sided arguments. I've literally never heard anyone say a kind word about the Falcon.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 19, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
People are very picky about flex pens. I think the Falcon hits that sweet spot between being expensive enough to be hard to justify but cheap enough where it's a reasonable purchase so that you're bound to be let down by the reality of it. Noodler's Ahab isn't a great flex pen by any means but for the $20 asking price it's easy to shrug your shoulders and accept that you get what you pay for and that for the price it's not a bad pen (and it really isn't.) The Falcon seems to be the next step up in terms of a functional flex pen that can be had for less than a small fortune and thus presents a gap of over $100 in which there's not a lot of room to say "it's not the best, but it's better than x," because being better than a $20 flex pen goes without saying, but what people really want is a vintage wet noodle that they're not going to get for $140 or whatever. Especially coming from Namiki/Pilot, whose other pens in that price range (Vanishing Point et al.) are, generally, excellent pens.

The point I'm trying to make is that I think it has more to do with perceived value than the actual quality of the pen - you'll notice that all of the complaints tend to be phrased in such a way that the pen feels cheaper than it should for a pen at its price point. I've learned to keep my expectations low for any pen that I haven't personally held in my hand prior to purchase. The fact that there just aren't that many pen stores in which to go hold something, at least in the US, confounds the whole process.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The Falcon was never designed, advertised or meant to be used as a flex pen. It was designed for writing Japanese kanji, not Western calligraphy. If people are disappointed in not being able to use it as a flex pen, it's their fault for thinking that in the first place.

"It fails at something it wasn't meant to do in the first place" is a rather poor criticism.

grack fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 19, 2017

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

That makes sense. I will say it's a fantastic pen for that.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
When I hold my Falcon, then hold my Custom 912, the body of my Falcon feels like it was practice for my Custom. I enjoy them both, but I probably like my 912 more.

e: also I have an FA nib in the 912 and that thing is like writing with a brush, so that might contribute.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Are we discussing the plastic Falcon or the significantly more expensive metal Falcon? Because the latter is pretty great and doesn't exhibit a lot of the faults people are talking about.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I ground one of my Sheaffers in to a zoom nib for shits and/or giggles.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kessel posted:

Are we discussing the plastic Falcon or the significantly more expensive metal Falcon? Because the latter is pretty great and doesn't exhibit a lot of the faults people are talking about.

The "precious resin" falcon, yes.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lighter is better as far as I'm concerned. If I have to pick between a lighter-weight plastic pen and a heavy rear end metal one I'm taking the plastic. The Falcon is on my "one day when I have $150 to light on fire" list.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Everything Burrito posted:

Lighter is better as far as I'm concerned. If I have to pick between a lighter-weight plastic pen and a heavy rear end metal one I'm taking the plastic. The Falcon is on my "one day when I have $150 to light on fire" list.

I'm quite tortured on that. One one hand I love heavy weighted stuff they just feel better, more solid, luxuous. But I find myself enjoying writting with the lighter pens of course...

Since my success with the Lamy 2000 I decided to try and fix my other pens that are scratchy (jinhao's). First I did was a safary knockoff that was horrible to write with. Not the fucker is smooth as butter. Surprisingly simple to realign tines when you have a proper loupe.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I think I also like heavier pens because my hands are a bit shaky and it steadies my hand out to have some weight. On that note though, what's a good heavy pen? My TWSBI 580 is great for that.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Heavier pens make my hand hurt if I write with them very long, which is a bummer because I have a really neat copper pen that I love using but writing with it for any length gives me a cramp and it's a fairly small pen and isn't *that* heavy, so just in general I avoid the great big "luxury" style pens that are all about being weighty and full of substance lol

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Vanishing Points are fairly hefty.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Weight has zero bearing on quality and for the life of me I cannot figure out why people connect those two things when it comes to pens. Like, brass is cheap as poo poo and easy to work with which is why so many cheap pens are made of it.

Edit: Apparently I also bought another Parker 45 for $5 last night

grack fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 20, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Tracking says my Kaweco is delivered to best Bale! I fully expect her to drop it on the floor to make the exchange fair :colbert:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, my cheapest pen is also my heaviest, some all-metal jinhao beater I got to hold my baystate blue. I like it, but it's a cheapie.

That said, I do like the feel of some weight in my hand so I get weight as a preference, just not a quality indicator.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

If you type in "Porcelain Fountain Pen" into Ebay you will get a bunch of results about five to ten bucks in price from China.

I typically don't but much from China...but the one I got is amazing.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

grack posted:

Weight has zero bearing on quality and for the life of me I cannot figure out why people connect those two things when it comes to pens. Like, brass is cheap as poo poo and easy to work with which is why so many cheap pens are made of it.

Edit: Apparently I also bought another Parker 45 for $5 last night

Where the hell did you find a 45 for $5?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Zenostein posted:

Where the hell did you find a 45 for $5?

eBay. The model number wasn't listed in the auction so nobody else bid so I picked it up for $2.99 (just over $5 including shipping). It's a steel-nibbed 45 with no converter but a 45 is pretty much unmistakable in pictures.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My Muji pen arrived. It's the one I bought an Edison #5 nib for, and as it turns out the stock nib actually ain't bad for under 20 bucks. Not bad at all. I recommend people get one to try it out. Worst thing that happens is you replace the nib with a #5.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I need a utility sink.

The Muji nib SOUNDS scratchy but it doesn't FEEL scratchy. Very strange feeling using it. Can't wait for the Edison though.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

And of course today I get 5 packages all at the same time and of course my musibi notebook is finally here. So yeah Kessel hit me up in private if you want me to ship it back/pay for it/whatever.

Humidity got to it a little the last 1/4 pages have a little wave to them but I'm sure a trip under something heavy for a couple of days should get everything right. It is beautiful! A lot smaller then I was expecting but it's not a bad thing at all. Just had this idea it was going to be bigger but I do not care at all.

edit: flipped it over and it actually does the same thing as the other goon with the cover lifting up.

edit: oooh ebay how can I not buy 3$ pens?

Iznogood fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 21, 2017

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??
So question does anybody here own a karas pen? I got one from Goulet yesterday and it's a great pen... except the converter is an absolute piece of poo poo. If it doesn't fit JUST loving SO into the nib housing it will hemorrhage ink. My lamy has a similar style converter but doesn't act like a piece of trash, so I'm wondering if this is a common problem? I'm gonna contact Goulet about it anyways, but I'm wondering if a new converter will solve the problem outright.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

If you have a cartridge you should try that. If it works fine you need a new converter. If it keeps gushing ink there's an air leak somewhere in the feed system.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Iznogood posted:

And of course today I get 5 packages all at the same time and of course my musibi notebook is finally here. So yeah Kessel hit me up in private if you want me to ship it back/pay for it/whatever.

Humidity got to it a little the last 1/4 pages have a little wave to them but I'm sure a trip under something heavy for a couple of days should get everything right. It is beautiful! A lot smaller then I was expecting but it's not a bad thing at all. Just had this idea it was going to be bigger but I do not care at all.

edit: flipped it over and it actually does the same thing as the other goon with the cover lifting up.

Yeah we've had sporadic reports of the cover coming up and it appears to be related to not swathing the diary in enough bubble wrap during shipment. We've added a shitload more wrap to solve the issue. If you put something heavy on the cover or use a little force to bend it it'll fix itself. Slight waviness in the book block is normal and will go away as you use the diary and the paper gets to stretch its legs a little.

We specifically chose A5 as our go-to size because it's compact enough to fit in most bags but not so tiny (e.g. A6) that it would be difficult to use.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Kessel posted:

Yeah we've had sporadic reports of the cover coming up and it appears to be related to not swathing the diary in enough bubble wrap during shipment. We've added a shitload more wrap to solve the issue. If you put something heavy on the cover or use a little force to bend it it'll fix itself. Slight waviness in the book block is normal and will go away as you use the diary and the paper gets to stretch its legs a little.

We specifically chose A5 as our go-to size because it's compact enough to fit in most bags but not so tiny (e.g. A6) that it would be difficult to use.

One of the reasons I like your notebooks so much is because they're A5. The only other acceptable size for a carry book is B5, I think - anything else is too small for journaling or too large for carrying.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
As much as I like the look and feel of my Lamy pens, I'm starting to hate their Nibs. I now have a ef, f, and m and I find the ef super scratchy with terrible flow, and both the ef and the m have crazy flow and I get such fat lines I only use them for "bold" text. If I hold my pen at 90 degrees then I get a reasonable amount of flow and line thickness out of the ef and m nibs (which are pretty much indistinguishable from each other)

Have I been holding my pens wrong all these years at a more 50-60 degree angle? Or is it that how the lamy nibs are?

It's really to bad, other then the flow they feel and write better then the metros I have, which all have the exact opposite problem. I have problems getting them started and then keeping them flowing.

Iznogood
Jul 10, 2001

Kessel posted:

Like I said ZERO problems with the size. And yeah the notebook is under a pile of stuff getting some "fixing".

I opened it one second and put it there I have a big catering contract to deliver tomorrow and have been cooking running errands and taking sporadic breaks all day.

Thanks again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

So my Falcon arrived today... and Amazon kinda sent me the wrong pen. Bought one of the Warehouse Deals, listing said it was for a metal Falcon and I ended up with the resin version. Contacted Amazon and they just refunded me a chunk of the money to keep it. So... got a rhodium-trimmed Falcon with a SM nib for $100 CDN.

I just wish it took the Con-70