Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Posts come sporadically ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

KO is sending me a teeshirt.

Woo!

bengy81
May 8, 2010
My current favorite fish are the KO with peppercorns, mighty tasty and go well with ritz crackers.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

May I post up my family's pickled cabbage recipe when it's ready? I figure it fits the pickled/fermented vibe we've got going here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Homemade kraut is sufficiently dadly IMO.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Sheep-Goats posted:

Today I made salsa

Post your salsa recipe, man.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Look Sir Droids posted:

Post your salsa recipe, man.

You need a food processor or good knife abilities

Into at least a 14 cup processor:

Put 2 chipotle peppers out of a can and 3 fat toes of garlic

Blitz

Put in a ton of black pepper
Add half a regular sized onion (use a sweet onion, it's very easy to do too much onion with red or white)
Add 4 green onions

Blitz

Add one large (28oz?) can of decent quality whole tomatoes, or that much tomato from regular or cherry tomatoes if they have any at the store worth a gently caress
Add about a half a wad of cilantro -- you should cut it up with scissors some before putting it in though because sometimes the stems are long enough to wrap around the processor and then they won't process

Blitz

Salt well

Depending on the acidity in the tomatoes you may also want to add sugar

Sometimes you can put a spoon of cumin in there or lime juice but I don't see either as necessary

Takes about 60 seconds to make a batch, you get about three salsa jars worth

If you want spicier just do more chipotles or like do two serranos or something

If you don't have a processor you have to do the onion pretty fine, puree the garlic and peppers, and go over the tomatoes a bunch. Maybe ten or fifteen minutes total.

You may think you're clever and say "hey a lot of this is halves I will double it" but this is as much as will fit in the food processor without overflow in one go, also it's a lot of salsa anyway, so How Smart Are You Really?

raton fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 20, 2017

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
Reminder that if you've won any King Oscar coupons from their Facebook page in the last few years, most of them expire at then end of this month (3/31/17).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
This salsa is Real Good but it's resulting in me having Too Much Chips

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I got my King Oscar apron today, which is really cool. It's black, with their logo, plus two front pockets, and I didn't even own an apron. I love it, especially since I won it from a writing competition!

I also got a free coupon. Since I hardly ever spring for KOs, what are the best bets? I'm leaning toward the cross-packed (I always prefer tiny 'dines) or jalapenos, if I can find them. How is the mackerel? They included a flyer, but no additional coupons for it... but I don't thing I've ever seen it locally anyway.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite KO is Mediterranean

Other people have different favorites though

They have one called Tiny Tots maybe those are smaller than their regular fish, I have never seen them in the store myself so I don't know

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tiny Tots are awesome. They are pretty much the benchmark by which I judge all other sardines. And judge them harshly, I do.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Aw nuts. According to the Store Locator on the website, they don't sell Tiny Tots anywhere within 30 miles of here. I've never noticed those yellow cans anywhere, or I would have tried them a long time ago.

Hey, I would happily trade someone a can of my Canarios for a can of Tiny Tots! I don't think it would be that expensive to ship them via First Class Mail. Just let me know.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'll send you a can of Tiny Tots in exchange of those Canarios.

EDIT: you don't have PM's?

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I'm not sure that there is a difference between Tiny Tots and the regular KO double layer sardines? They are both double layer with 12-22 fish packed in olive oil. I used to buy the red packaged ones all the time when I was on the East coast, all the stores had them. Since moving to Portland though, the Tiny Tots seem more common. I only ever see one or the other at stores.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
i like smaller dines so i want to try these "Tiny Tots"

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

cocoavalley posted:

I'm not sure that there is a difference between Tiny Tots and the regular KO double layer sardines? They are both double layer with 12-22 fish packed in olive oil. I used to buy the red packaged ones all the time when I was on the East coast, all the stores had them. Since moving to Portland though, the Tiny Tots seem more common. I only ever see one or the other at stores.

Maybe it's an East Coast/West Coast thing? Like Best Foods versus Hellman's mayo? I'm in Oregon, and the Tiny Tots are what I see.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'll send you a can of Tiny Tots in exchange of those Canarios.

EDIT: you don't have PM's?

I'm afraid not, sorry. My e-mail is saxman2 at hotmail.com.

But if Tiny Tots are the same as the cross-packed KOs, at least I can find those locally.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
My local Sprouts store has started carrying Wild Planet Mackerel in olive oil. I like WP's dines and love their white anchovies and while the mackerel is good, it's not nearly as mackerel-y as King Oscar which I've only had from a KO taster kit as no stores around here carry them.
Stocked up on some delicious Bela 'dines too.

Ate the mackerel with crackers on my front porch by balancing each saltine on my knee and spreading the fishies onto it with my pocket knife. Daughters and their friends came home from school while I was feasting and they remarked that I am an embarrassing Dad. I do not disagree.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I'm not even allowed to eat my canned seafood in my own house.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

:sever:

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey, look at it this way: it's spring now. What better excuse to go outside...

...and 'dine it up.

e: Northern Hemisphere only

Mushika fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Mar 22, 2017

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
i might chow down on a can of rigas for lumch today. thanks, thread!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Watching The Americans last night, there was a scene set in a grocery store in Moscow (in 1984), with the shelves almost bare. In the background of one shot, I saw some familiar black and gold round cans, and I yelled to my wife "Hey, those are Riga sprats!"

I don't think she was as excited as I was.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Watching The Americans last night, there was a scene set in a grocery store in Moscow (in 1984), with the shelves almost bare. In the background of one shot, I saw some familiar black and gold round cans, and I yelled to my wife "Hey, those are Riga sprats!"

I don't think she was as excited as I was.

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble
Went to the Russian grocery last weekend and got me some tasty, tasty Riga sprats. Also got some strange very small smoked dines in a glass jar, quite tasty. Russian groceries own.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I heard you guys like obscure fish in a can:

Meet the Man Who Wants to Make Eating Shad a Fad Again

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

withak posted:

This guy really enjoys talking about teenagers moaning then labels his product Deckhand's Daughter.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

withak posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68m8nFupThI

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Worked with a guy named Shad awhile back. Had to fire him for theft. He smoked, too.

Story checks out

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

when bae spends all night cooking dinner but it's not what you asked for so you poo poo all over it

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Ah good. We haven't had a fun pots making GBS threads thread in awhile.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The King Oscar Facebook page administrator just demystified Tiny Tots for all of us:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I have a question, though. I've never seen Tiny Tots anywhere before. I live in ___________, but your website says they're not within 30 miles of my home, or my parents' home in ______________.
Are they just a regional product? And are the "cross-packed" King Oscar sardines the same as Tiny Tots, or are they different?

quote:

Hi ______________!

The Tiny Tots brand is an old brand owned by King Oscar for many years. The reason you don't see it in Florida is that it is almost exclusively distributed out on the West Coast.

However, the brisling sardines inside a Tiny Tots can are the same as the fish inside the red label can of King Oscar Brisling Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Two Layer. So, same sardines, different packaging.

The King Oscar Cross-Pack Brisling Sardines are the same fish species as in those other products, but are the very smallest fish from our catches in the Norwegian fjords.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,
The KO Facebook Team

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well that makes sense.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
Welp, the only difference then is that I could get 4-packs of the red label back east for $9 or single cans for ~$2.50, but tiny tots are $3.50+ per can.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Oh well, at least you'll be getting the fancy different packaging in the mail.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Birthday haul

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Oh well, at least you'll be getting the fancy different packaging in the mail.

Thank you again! Your can o' Canarios is all packed and ready to be mailed on Saturday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

This is such a fun thread. Wish I could find that mackerel locally, king osc Mediterranean flavor mac from my free taster kit was amazing