Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaptopGraveyard
Mar 1, 2017
What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

it might be this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dEQtXBr1BU

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've been enjoying this a lot. However, I've listened to 10 minutes of the only thing mentioned itt so far and think that sounds even better. A lot of real good metal's been coming out the past two years

Revins fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 17, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This is a good if obvious candidate https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llQ31DRgyx4

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

It's March you lunatics

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

A human heart posted:

It's March you lunatics

It is, admittedly, getting a little out of hand...

Superimposition
Apr 23, 2014
Three months into the year, but I'll be surprised if anything ends up topping the new Planning For Burial for me.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Culture

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

Priests "Nothing Feels Natural"

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it makes some sense to write down your best album quarterly if your goal is to have a good full-year list at the end of the year. If you wait too long you can get heavily skewed toward the later part of the year :spergin:

anyway, Your Old Droog Packs and POS Chill, Dummy so far for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
<- big fan of 10cc

CRINDY
Sep 23, 2010

forget about ur worries and ur strife
if RTJ3 counts, that wins far and away (what does one week on a calendar really mean?)

If not, I'd put the new Spoon, King Gizzard, Thundercat, Dirty Projectors, Japandroids and xx records as my current competitors. Spoon, Thundercat and DP are the top ones out of those.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

emdash posted:

it makes some sense to write down your best album quarterly if your goal is to have a good full-year list at the end of the year. If you wait too long you can get heavily skewed toward the later part of the year :spergin:

the hell kind of goal is that, are you a spreadsheet?

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

skeemon posted:

Priests "Nothing Feels Natural"

This is the correct answer. Let's move on to 2018.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

emdash posted:

New POS came out? Cool.

A human heart posted:

the hell kind of goal is that, are you a spreadsheet?

I think "what's your favorite album this year so far" is a way more natural way of asking this question than trying to be an NME roundup in March.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I'm honestly curious if anyone can come up with a good answer to this, because last year I had to narrow down my top albums of the year list to 50, while this year nearly every new release I've heard has been a disappointment in one way or another.

Hell, the new Jesus And Mary Chain album came out and it's their first album in 20 years which on paper sounds like it should be incredibly my poo poo, but I'm listening to it now and it's just kind of...there. It's not wowing me or anything.

Bonobo (who I love) put out an album that did nothing for me aside from a couple tracks, and same goes for The Flaming Lips and The Shins and Real Estate and Thundercat. And that new Arcade Fire track ain't anything special.

At least there's new Gorillaz, Ride and Slowdive to look forward to.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 25, 2017

skeemon
Aug 4, 2007

$ $ $T R A P L O R D $ $ $

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm honestly curious if anyone can come up with a good answer to this, because last year I had to narrow down my top albums of the year list to 50, while this year nearly every new release I've heard has been a disappointment in one way or another.

Hell, the new Jesus And Mary Chain album came out and it's their first album in 20 years which on paper sounds like it should be incredibly my poo poo, but I'm listening to it now and it's just kind of...there. It's not wowing me or anything.

Bonobo (who I love) put out an album that did nothing for me aside from a couple tracks, and same goes for The Flaming Lips and The Shins and Real Estate and Thundercat. And that new Arcade Fire track ain't anything special.

Sampha's album was pretty decent. Other than that and the aforementioned Priests record 2017 has been meh af

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

"Why why why bitch why why oval office why" by Zeoo Zeoo

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
It's only a couple of days old but the new Mt Eerie album is utterly soul destroying https://pwelverumandsun.bandcamp.com/track/real-death

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've noticed a trend for myself over the last year or so where the more amped I am for a disc, the more I'm usually disappointed by it at release. Then I jam it a few months later and wind up loving it.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
Between these three.

Sampha:: Process
Oddisee: The Iceberg
Mount Eerie: A Crow Looked At Me (though I might actually never listen to it again because it's so horribly sad)

Beyond that it's been catching up on last years' deluge of amazing albums,, and some albums from this year I've liked but not loved, like the debut Reno Drive album.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Quarter of the way through the year. Standouts so far are:

1. The Menzingers- After The Party (punk rock)
2. Power Trip- Nightmare Logic (thrash/crossover)
3. Code Orange- Forever (metalcore)
4. Pallbearer- Heartless (proggy doom)
5. Blanck Mass- World Eater (electronic)

Been enjoying a lot of stuff though. So far it's shaping up to be a strong year. That top 5 will be totally different in a month probably because a load of new stuff came out in the last week or so that I'm very excited to hear/get into more.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I found this really boring and overrated.

Tempted to go with this:

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah I'm really enjoying Culture. I feel like they delivered a great album there, but I'm not sure whether it's elevated because my expectations were kind of low.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord
I was hoping Jonwayne - Rap Album Two would be my personal AOTY, but it was kind of a let down. Still a great album, but doesn't resonate with me as much as the EP and singles released over the past few years.

I haven't found any album from this year that has me listening obsessively, but I'm enjoying some of the other current picks in this thread.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nomapple posted:

Yeah I'm really enjoying Culture. I feel like they delivered a great album there, but I'm not sure whether it's elevated because my expectations were kind of low.
I mean, I don't even generally like trap music or contemporary rap, and even I have to admit its gold. There are a few filler tracks (Big and Big) but otherwise it's an amazing album.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Yeah that's really good.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Pure Comedy by Father John Misty will be tough to beat this year. It's his sprawling double album, and it is very bleak but beautiful. It lacks the lightness of his previous records, so you get nothing like Chateau Lobby #4 or Tee-Pee 1-12. There's funny lines here and there, but it's more like gallows humor than just dark humor. Side 4 is great.

I was a little surprised. Real Love Baby was such a slice of sunshine pop. Obviously, the more you learned about the album, the more you found that wasn't true.

Get it. Listen to it. It's definitely a great LP.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Cemetry Gator posted:

Pure Comedy by Father John Misty will be tough to beat this year. It's his sprawling double album, and it is very bleak but beautiful. It lacks the lightness of his previous records, so you get nothing like Chateau Lobby #4 or Tee-Pee 1-12. There's funny lines here and there, but it's more like gallows humor than just dark humor. Side 4 is great.

I was a little surprised. Real Love Baby was such a slice of sunshine pop. Obviously, the more you learned about the album, the more you found that wasn't true.

Get it. Listen to it. It's definitely a great LP.

It's pretty easy to beat it if i don't care about emotional indie rock guys

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015
Pile - Hairshirt of Purpose is loving incredible and definitely my AOTY so far

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

A human heart posted:

Your aoty is not my aoty, because it's not the same type of music I listen to :smuggo: roasted

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
I'm really enjoying the new Orchestra Baobab LP.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

A human heart posted:

Let's define the metric by measuring the number of songs about a dying man checking his social media accounts one last time.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Bandiet posted:

Your aoty is not my aoty, because it's not the same type of music I listen to :smuggo: roasted

Well, it should be obvious that defining an aoty is kind of meaningless exactly for this reason

TheIndividual
Apr 22, 2010

broken sm57 posted:

Pile - Hairshirt of Purpose is loving incredible and definitely my AOTY so far

Agreed.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

A human heart posted:

Well, it should be obvious that defining an aoty is kind of meaningless exactly for this reason

I like reading about other people's AOTY lists because I have found some amazing stuff I wouldn't have listened to otherwise. Talking about it this early in the year is a bit odd though.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur9SF1lcxho

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Superimposition posted:

Three months into the year, but I'll be surprised if anything ends up topping the new Planning For Burial for me.

Same here. Glad to hear that others are into it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Standouts for me so far are mostly metal albums (and RTJ3):

Beheaded - Beast Incarnate
Apostate Viaticum - Before the Gates of Gomorrah
Black Anvil - As Was
Power Trip - Nightmare Logic (could sneak onto some big sites' general AOTY lists)
Pallbearer - Heartless (will definitely appear on big sites' general AOTY lists)

The early favorite for critical consensus is the Mount Eerie album, which is exactly as devastating as everybody says it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

RTJ3 would be my favorite album of 2017 too but it came out on Christmas of 2016 so it's not a 2017 album.

• Locked thread