Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ya'll need to get in the #nascar IRC we're watching it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Good job on the FS1 team to pick up the Delta launch.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The fcy timing couldn't have been more perfect.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
What happened to the 911? I thought it was leading GTLM for a minute, unless I was mistaken

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

GramCracker posted:

What happened to the 911? I thought it was leading GTLM for a minute, unless I was mistaken

Got a puncture, then after changing the tire on the resulting pit stop they dropped the car before the wheelman could get rid of the gun so it ran over the hose and got a drive through.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

njsykora posted:

Got a puncture, then after changing the tire on the resulting pit stop they dropped the car before the wheelman could get rid of the gun so it ran over the hose and got a drive through.

Woah, that totally sucks

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

njsykora posted:

Man, GTLM is so close right now with only 6 min to go. :munch:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Cobra, E-Type & TVR race about to start in Goodwood!

(Ferrari, Aston, Mustang, Lotus etc. are also running, but the winner will be one of the above three.)

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 19, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, looks like GTLM/LMGTE is going to be a three way slugfest this year. Also GTD looks like it's going to be just as interesting.

:getin:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Shame Prototype looks set to be a Cadillac stomp the whole way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I love racing galaxies. so majestic.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

njsykora posted:

Ultimate pace seemed pretty fair except for Mazda this go-round, pro-am Spec P2 #85 kept up with the Caddies for quite some time. The Gibson, Nissan, and Mazda protos just need to work on not breaking. That's the big advantage Cadillac has, with the time-tested 6.2 LS that isn't working very hard to make power level and is a known-reliable engine.

That and the Cadillac's torque.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 19, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Ultimate pace seemed pretty fair except for Mazda this go-round, pro-am Spec P2 #85 kept up with the Caddies for quite some time. The Gibson, Nissan, and Mazda protos just need to work on not breaking. That's the big advantage Cadillac has, with the time-tested 6.2 LS that isn't working very hard to make power level and is a known-reliable engine.

That and the Cadillac's torque.

Yeah they're really not even coming close to pushing the limit of that LS in the caddy at all. The Mazda, they're having to wring every loving drop of power out of the MZR 4 banger to keep even with the rest of the proto field, and it shows in their reliability.

They were able to keep pace last year before the power boost going to DPi, but they might need to work on a new engine design for next year.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 20, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The 36 Hours of Florida is also real tough, period. It was a definite surprise to wake up and see only three or so prototypes in contention, but like mentioned before, they got Sebring'd.

I think Mazda will get it together. They won't quit, and I'd imagine that team will get the engine working better. If it's reliability, it shouldn't be insurmountable.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

orange juche posted:

They were able to keep pace last year before the power boost going to DPi, but they might need to work on a new engine design for next year.

Bad part is, Mazda makes no V6 in the skyactiv line, and the larger displacement MZRs are all stroked, the bore is almost identical in all the models, which means lower redline and slower revving, not something you want in a 600hp target engine

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A bit random but here are highlights of the opening round of British Touring Cars in 1994 https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHSstZvEyBo

Halcyon days for touring cars I mean look at all the different manufacturers on the grid :rms:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

At least the GT classes look to be slugfests. We have two different winners in both classes already, and the new 911 RSRs are no joke. Gonna be interesting to see how the shorter races pan out, but I'm sure Porsche has some confidence going into WEC.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

njsykora posted:

At least some of the other cars were competitive before they blew up this time around, the Rebellion led from the start until it broke. At Daytona the Cadillac trio had just checked out by like lap 5 and left everyone else for dead.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Bad part is, Mazda makes no V6 in the skyactiv line, and the larger displacement MZRs are all stroked, the bore is almost identical in all the models, which means lower redline and slower revving, not something you want in a 600hp target engine

The MZ-2.0T isn't a Skyactiv engine, it's heavily based on the MZR engine which was the predecessor of the Skyactiv 4 banger.

If Mazda updated the Mazda MZI engine, and it was reliable enough, they would probably do ok. Alternatively they have a SkyActiv 2.5T that is used in the Mazda CX-9, and if they wanted to resurrect the MazdaSpeed 3 in the consumer sector, they would do well to try to use that engine on the track. It doesn't have the insane 13:1 compression ratio of the naturally aspirated version, but it has a hell of a lot more grunt (in CX-9 trim, it has 250hp and 310lb/f of torque at 2000 RPM). They could probably squeeze a lot more horsepower out of it by moving it higher in the rev range.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 22, 2017

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
A Mazda owning buddy of mine pointed out a flaw in using the bigger engines in that line. The bore is nearly the same on all of them, with only the stroke increasing significantly. This kills the high revs they need to make power.

E: derp I already pointed that out

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

yeah the current mazda engine is an evolution of the old AER MZR-R that dyson used to run in P1. its a purpose built casting with not a single part shared with a street car. for marketing purposes, mazda would obviously like to keep as much to their street cars as they can (doubt they would want to run a v8, for example), but there are no requirements in DPi for stock block or anything like that anymore.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I hope they at least know what was broken, because they've been testing the gas engine for a while. Daytona was the first race for the full package and a 24-hour race. Sebring is Sebring. You would imagine the shorter street and road-course races will go much better for them, but it's still a worry. Next three rounds are Long Beach, COTA and Detroit, which may be tough (2/3 are street courses) but not impossible, right?

They've spent so much time testing it's hard to imagine they're this far behind. But it's also too easy to use the unique nature of the first rounds as an excuse, too. Hmm.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

harperdc posted:

I hope they at least know what was broken, because they've been testing the gas engine for a while. Daytona was the first race for the full package and a 24-hour race. Sebring is Sebring. You would imagine the shorter street and road-course races will go much better for them, but it's still a worry. Next three rounds are Long Beach, COTA and Detroit, which may be tough (2/3 are street courses) but not impossible, right?

They've spent so much time testing it's hard to imagine they're this far behind. But it's also too easy to use the unique nature of the first rounds as an excuse, too. Hmm.

Well, look at it this way, if your engines are consuming themselves catastrophically on endurance race weekends, that speaks volumes to the reliability of your race engine, and during sprint races you need your car to be perfect with no mechanical issues because broken parts means a last place finish if at all.

They could ape what Ford does and go with twin turbo V6 power, they already have the casting for a V6 block which uses forced induction in street trim. I dunno if they'd want to get back in bed with Ford to win though. I wonder if they can still produce MZI (literally Ford Ecoboost) engines post Ford split or not?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 22, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mazda no longer sells any V6 streetcars worldwide. for marketing, i'm guessing they would want to stick with a a DI I4. i think AER's initial design rationale for going with a 2.0 was to keep reciprocating mass as low as possible in the engine, which worked well with the ultra light weight casting they were doing. but running against big, simple NA engines with better funded teams is really highlighting the compromises you make for that formula.

AER could develop a 2.5 engine and keep the marketing clean (mazda makes a street 2.5 turbo in its new CX-9) and address some of the issues, but those big V8s just have an inherent advantage unless you make them pay for their weight.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

Mazda no longer sells any V6 streetcars worldwide. for marketing, i'm guessing they would want to stick with a a DI I4. i think AER's initial design rationale for going with a 2.0 was to keep reciprocating mass as low as possible in the engine, which worked well with the ultra light weight casting they were doing. but running against big, simple NA engines with better funded teams is really highlighting the compromises you make for that formula.

AER could develop a 2.5 engine and keep the marketing clean (mazda makes a street 2.5 turbo in its new CX-9) and address some of the issues, but those big V8s just have an inherent advantage unless you make them pay for their weight.

And really, the LS in the Caddy probably isn't much heavier than the MZR-R, with headers and all the turbo plumbing taken into account. Those things are stupidly light for such a big displacement motor.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

E: Very wrong thread.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 24, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

njsykora posted:

Vitality vs Splyce game 1 might be the most one-sided game I've seen all season.

Wrong thread?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And really, the LS in the Caddy probably isn't much heavier than the MZR-R, with headers and all the turbo plumbing taken into account. Those things are stupidly light for such a big displacement motor.

This, its why you can swap an LS into just about any car you can find, because it is so compact and light. An LSX long engine weighs 553 lbs with everything installed except for spark plugs, they're stupid light, durable as hell, and the 650 or so HP they need for their DPi use is well below the limit for what you can get out of a block that is built to handle 2000+ HP.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

The MZR-R (and presumably their new engine) is comically light. We are talking under 200lbs with turbo and wiring harness. Seriously. In a car that only weighs 2,046lbs, the extra hundreds of pounds in the Caddy would be a big deal. Also, V8s have their weight higher up and are generally harder to package.

In the DPi format though, they aren't really made to pay for any of the issues. The minimum weight is high enough that the Caddys are still moving ballast around the car, the engine mounting on the WEC-spec cockpit is generally the same regardless of the engine due to the gearbox and suspension mounting points needing to be in the same zone, and the packaging is the same for all the cars because they were all designed for the Gibson.

Mazda/Gibson/Nissan can get the reliability up to snuff with some work of course, but the torque of a big V8 will be tough to deal with I imagine. I don't think IMSA will just let Caddy win every race though, and I don't think they were as far ahead at Sebring as Daytona. Gonna be fun!

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Cygni posted:

I don't think they were as far ahead at Sebring as Daytona. Gonna be fun!

Totally agree. TBH if the other teams get their reliability sorted (since BoP shouldn't factor that at all), the Gibsons definitely have the pace to keep up and hustle the Cadillacs at Sebring BoP levels. We saw that with the Pro-Am team of JDC-Miller (banana car!), keeping up with the Caddies relatively well.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, and I imagine as soon as the WEC season starts JDC will have the advantage of tons of setup data from Oreca, assuming some teams over in Europe are running the same dampers. I honestly don't know what damps they use in protos anymore, but I kinda assume its Ohlins and Penske still?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

Totally agree. TBH if the other teams get their reliability sorted (since BoP shouldn't factor that at all), the Gibsons definitely have the pace to keep up and hustle the Cadillacs at Sebring BoP levels. We saw that with the Pro-Am team of JDC-Miller (banana car!), keeping up with the Caddies relatively well.

Also Rebellion had a good run too at Sebring until it fell apart.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

iospace posted:

Also Rebellion had a good run too at Sebring until it fell apart.

Definitely. I suspect they'll be hard to beat at Watkins Glen and Petit LeMans after all their WEC experience coming soon.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

True inside-the-visor cam of Yacaman at Sebring. Probably the most realistic view of what it looks like day/night in a car that I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCaqJliBVM

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
VLN live with Radio LeMans commentary :getin:

http://www.radiolemans.co/2017/03/25/vln-63rd-adac-westfalenfahrt/

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Meanwhile, MotoGP FP4 and Qualifying are delayed...because it rained.

In Qatar.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cygni posted:

True inside-the-visor cam of Yacaman at Sebring. Probably the most realistic view of what it looks like day/night in a car that I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uCaqJliBVM

Man, talk about a night and day difference. :dadjoke:

Real talk: that's pretty cool, and drat that's a bumpy course.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Looking like there might not be a MotoGP race today. :cry:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
As per the Great French Moto Riders Tradition, Zarco fell for our sins, while leading the race on top of that. That happened just a mere seconds after a friend of mine said "Let's hope he won't pull a De Puniet" on IRC. He jinxed it, the fool.
With Grosjean's car failure earlier, I'm not having a great racing day :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
2017 Porsche LMP1 spotted:

Ban for Anime

• Locked thread