Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Clawtopsy posted:

what if i have a good life BUT i also contrract super aids

Then, much like Hussie with his regular aids, you should share it on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Scarodactyl posted:

As an answer it is very unsatisfying, so I can understand why some people would not even view it as an answer.

On a more satisfying note, Tensei just released his much-anticipated album, Strife 2.

hell yeah

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Clawtopsy posted:

i think dolash is a very good poster, with some good points

i also smile every time i see dead tavros so that helps too

Superior Dolash is Pickle Dolash

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Burkion posted:

Superior Dolash is Pickle Dolash

Yet another casualty of Trump's victory.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
I beat Undertale (True Pacifist Ending)

Wasn't expecting to briefly turn into a survival horror game briefly but it was fun.

I'll probably do a genocide run at some point but not right now.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Y'know, I gotta say: not his best. Rouge on the Rox and The King in Red stand out, but I feel the album as a whole lacks the energy of the original Strife. I reckon it's because he's branching out to other genres and feels, which I totally respect and support. Still, not the greatest.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.

No ones gonna prototype our babes.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Here's an interesting take on where Homestuck went wrong.

In summary, his notion is that Homestuck fell apart because it was so determined not to admit to having a point that it sabotaged its own emotional resolution rather than admit to being about something.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Someone in this thread had the same take while act 6 was being posted.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Here's an interesting take on where Homestuck went wrong.

In summary, his notion is that Homestuck fell apart because it was so determined not to admit to having a point that it sabotaged its own emotional resolution rather than admit to being about something.

well i feel like one of the running jokes in the story was that things were never actually as ironic as they were played up as being, but yeah tonally speaking it could be seen as getting lost in uncertainty about how sincere it was trying to be, at times

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Moddington posted:

Someone in this thread had the same take while act 6 was being posted.

Multiple people did.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dolash posted:

I wonder if Hivebent (if it ever comes out) will have some kinda meta fuckery the way Undertale and Homestuck did, or if it'll be played mostly straight as an adventure game?
I sincerely hope not, because I think it really derailed Homestuck to the point where people are trying to use meta interpretations to justify the ending. The comic was supposed to be about kids in a creation myth that, yes, had meta gags and framing. But I never felt like meta commentary was the whole point of the story.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The meta came around because the author was too enamored with his awful fanbase that he wrote around 12 bit characters devoted to them, and then when that wasn't enough, went back on previous decisions to push away any plot progression in favor of Silly Boy's Arm Saves Day.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ya know, speaking of meta narratives, the credits that were released kind of completely invalidate all the theories people came up with to justify the non-ending that was put out initially.

There were all these long effort posts on tumblr and reddit about how the reader not getting to see the kids enter the new universe symbolized them breaking free from the narrative.

Then the snapchats came out and the kids lives in the new universe are shown in detail, so it turns out there was no deeper meaning behind the non-ending they just didn't finish the credits on time :geno:

And like, I didn't like the non-ending and I didn't agree with the arguments supporting it (pretty sure I called it "Babby's first meta-narrative), but at least it could be viewed as some kind of an artistic statement? And even though I enjoyed the snap-chat credits more, they felt a lot more like fan service. There's stuff in the credits that can be discussed and could be expanded on in interesting ways (John feels depressed, There's a massive black hole sucking stuff up, Caliborn is all powerful and is yet to be defeated), but those feel more like sequel hooks rather than a things that tie into the rest of the comic thematically and are trying to make some sort of point? Also a sequel might not ever happen, so, yeah.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There were all these long effort posts on tumblr and reddit about how the reader not getting to see the kids enter the new universe symbolized them breaking free from the narrative.

Anyone who said this is dumb. You see the characters in the new universe right there in Act 7.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ya know, speaking of meta narratives, the credits that were released kind of completely invalidate all the theories people came up with to justify the non-ending that was put out initially.

I was one of those people. The comic seemed to be building up In-Comic-Hussie as the final thing they'd have to face after Lord English, and the 'defeat' of him would be to place the characters outside of Hussie's control (e.g., have the comic end and the characters fates be undetermined)

I'll cop to being totally wrong.

Plom Bar posted:

Anyone who said this is dumb. You see the characters in the new universe right there in Act 7.

I gave up my theory upon seeing Act 7, so, yeah.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I didn't agree with that idea but I thought it was interesting. In some ways more interesting than what we got.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

I didn't agree with that idea but I thought it was interesting. In some ways more interesting than what we got.
Only in the fact that it would at least let the characters finally have some agency instead of just reacting all the time to poo poo. I guess they finally got proactive towards then end when they came up with a plan to take down all the enemies in the penultimate flash, but by then it seemed too little, too late. The meta ending would at least say "Hey, of course they have no agency, they're characters in a story!" and the timeline poo poo can be seen as a metaphor for how characters are at the mercy of the narrative. That would still be unsatisfying, however, because as I've said before I really don't see Homestuck as a big meta story.

Like, Homestuck is incredibly character based. That's where the immense appeal is from. By having so little of the characters' own stories wrap up in any pleasing way, it's no surprise the end was a dud.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Obviously the only way to deliver Homestuck to a true satisfying conclusion is to find Hussie in real life and beat him up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Obviously the only way to deliver Homestuck to a true satisfying conclusion is to find Hussie in real life and beat him up.

Records are a bit specious, but there is reason to believe that this actually happened, and Caliborn talking about a teen beating him up because he didn't like where the story was going was at least partially autobiographical.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Hussies been training by failing to pat horses and I don't think I'm equipped to combat that kind of pent up frustration

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I do not recommend you attempt to fight Hussie.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
imagine getting put into a full nelson by the homestuck man

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Can't tell if skinny loser illusion or if he's actually been working out

I can fake muscles too if I SUCK IN

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I wasn't a big fan of any of the "heroes escape the story through the door as meta artistic statement" ending theories because they all stank of post-hoc rationalizations of what we got rather than any deliberate intent from Hussie. At best, Hussie seemed to be attempting a Hail Mary open-to-interpretation ending he could slap together quickly rather than the more arduous process of painting himself back out of his corner, and if the reader was feeling generous they could imagine the ending they wanted and slot it into place. I've thrown around a few interpretations that this is an ending where Caliborn wins in various ways, but mostly to illustrate how flawed and unsatisfying the ending is, not because I genuinely want him to win. That John's unease and unfinished business in his last appearance happens to line up with the audience is just an ironic coincidence.

That interpretation that the comic was just too scared of committing to a message or theme and following through on it without falling back on irony, self-deprecation and anti-climaxes is basically what we've been noticing about Homestuck for years and hoped would work its way out of before the end. It did not, and at this very, very late stage, there's not much point about discussing Homestuck as an ongoing thing that can be fixed or reinterpreted. It was a cool and innovative work that will continue to be influential creatively, but as an overall piece it doesn't hang together. It's better remembered as the live experience when the comic was updating fast and engaging its audience, as well as memorable scenes and jokes that stand on their own - the comic only survived being such a trainwreck by being funny and fun update-to-update.

It's got a decent legacy and introduced some neat ideas, the time wasn't wasted and I'm optimistic Hussie might have another good project in him in the future that learns from some of the mistakes made.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dolash posted:

It's got a decent legacy and introduced some neat ideas, the time wasn't wasted and I'm optimistic Hussie might have another good project in him in the future that learns from some of the mistakes made.

lesson 1: kickstarters are the touch of death

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Scarodactyl posted:

He's really been beefing up since taking on the role of Chuck Tingle

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The snapchat poo poo is still real weird, because it was never archivee on the site and abruptly stopped despite seemingly building up to something. Not even a good cliffhanger; it wasn't enough to get that invested.

I imagine it was to get people interested in the Brand again prior to Hiveswap's release, but then the latter fell into the Kickstrter abyss.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
speaking of hiveswap

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who here thinks Hiveswap is coming out on April 13 2017? I remember some people saying that date was too far away back in January, but now it seems like it might be too close.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
game will be a 6.5-7, if it ever comes out

some people (probably not here but maybe reddit?) will defend it to the bitter death

i hope it is good, but tweetman has not impressed me

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Scarodactyl posted:

Equius was a true story, based on Hussie's life.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Plom Bar posted:

Records are a bit specious, but there is reason to believe that this actually happened, and Caliborn talking about a teen beating him up because he didn't like where the story was going was at least partially autobiographical.

If this is true then the teen who beat up Hussie must have been a young Clark Kent.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

I think the game will be okay but not great, and the remaining acts will never materialize.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Hiveswap will be so bad that it will destroy videogames, thus finishing what E.T. started

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
hahahahahaha

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

Hiveswap will be so bad that it will destroy videogames, thus finishing what E.T. started

imagine i posted an edit of young archaeologist aradia uncovering a million unsold ET and hiveswap games in a hole she dug in the desert

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Hiveswap will in all likelihood not receive major mainstream attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Hiveswap will in all likelihood not receive major mainstream attention.

I imagine it'll be much like Owlboy or similar games, where some people will cover it mostly for the notability of it finally being finished. They'll comment that it's competently done, but not their cup of tea, and then everyone will move on to another thing.