Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

chesnok posted:

Silver is goddamn brutal. Don't even know what will happen in gold. Basic shooty enemies are most dangerous by far - they will melt you while big scary things flop around the map with their gimmick jumps and telegraphed attacks.
And holy hell, the bullet sponges. A Chosen on silver takes 80% of a Mattock magazine to put down, with most hits being headshots.
So far the only way to do silver drops I've found is rolling at least two Vanguards.
Biotic and Tech explosions are underwhelming too. A huge blast of blue space magic sends enemies flying but deals a grand total of 20% health damage.

Yeah I wiped like a bitch on wave 1 on my only foray into it. I'm pretty good at 3 but this is going to take some learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I aint touching silver till I have at least one X weapon and a high level class specced heavily into defense.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

SMOL? SMOL?? WE NEED YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

chesnok posted:

Silver is goddamn brutal. Don't even know what will happen in gold. Basic shooty enemies are most dangerous by far - they will melt you while big scary things flop around the map with their gimmick jumps and telegraphed attacks.
And holy hell, the bullet sponges. A Chosen on silver takes 80% of a Mattock magazine to put down, with most hits being headshots.
So far the only way to do silver drops I've found is rolling at least two Vanguards.
Biotic and Tech explosions are underwhelming too. A huge blast of blue space magic sends enemies flying but deals a grand total of 20% health damage.

It might be somewhat due to rolling I instead of X weapons, but that's my experience too. Some thoughts after leveling a melee vanguard to 20:

- Punching stuff does waaay more damage than 90% of the weapons.
- The melee shield recharge makes Silver easily melee viable (but probably not gold). "Saving Barrier" (free shields at low health every 10s) helps a lot too.
- I went 75% recharge bonus on charge, but with the melee shield recharge, 100% shields + DR may be better. Planning on trying this on the other vanguard.

- I'm not quite sure what to do with Nova yet. I haven't gone up Apex Training yet (I'm only at vanguard II), but it doesn't do much damage compared to melee attacks and it's cooldown is long enough that it doesn't synergize well with fast-recharge Charge. I'm considering taking Shield Damage on my other vanguard to see if open with a jetpack nova works with 100% shield + DR Charge. The "Shield-Powered" evolution seems like it would difficult to work with, now that Charge has such a long cooldown.

- There's a huge difference in the difficulty between factions. Outlaws are super easy as vanguard. On Silver you can charge into pretty much any crowd and so long as you keep connecting punches and don't get grabbed by an adhi, you won't go down. Kett can take you down if you are exposed to too much fire (or your melee key stops working), and Fiends will charge around a corner and rubber-band sync kill you if you aren't careful. Remnant are brutal, especially on open maps. Observers and and Devastators(?) can take you down in a seconds on open maps.

- The Data Transfer objective is horrible in pub matches (especially with sync kills). Given how aggressive the enemies are, it's pretty much impossible to solo, even on bronze. If your teammates go down just suicide - it's not worth faffing about for 5 minutes.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It definitely helps to run with a team that communicates. I was an asari adept, so I was just running around with a shield restoring annhilation field, and everyone just ran with me detonating 24/7. Silver is a cakewalk for me now, as long as my teammates are willing to use rockets instead of hoarding them. I've just been buying basic packs non-stop, and I am completely baffled by the fact that apparently characters can level past V after unlocking all the aesthetic stuff.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Yeah I'm not getting this game yet. I don't really want to support EA's rush job with my 60 bux, plus I still have actual good games like Witcher 3 on my backlog (or so I hear). Meet you guys in a few months, hopefully most of the jank has been fixed by then.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it just me or does everything have much longer cooldown times compared to ME3? I used to be able to jump into a match with only a pistol (for cooldown bonus) and just juggle my 3 biotic/tech powers the whole match.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

buglord posted:

Is it just me or does everything have much longer cooldown times compared to ME3? I used to be able to jump into a match with only a pistol (for cooldown bonus) and just juggle my 3 biotic/tech powers the whole match.

Cooldown bonus is different in this, you can only lower the cooldown via leveling the power mostly.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Since noone has posted this yet, I just want to make sure everyone knows that the Falcon is the best "assault rifle".

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

buglord posted:

Weight reduction is still a thing, it's just (from my experience) cool downs across the board of powers has been increased to avoid that sort of tactic from ME3 you mentioned. I think I get why; means the cooldown reduction perk choice is actually worth something for some of the powers. Not that I'll ever take them, though, but never mind that.

Stuck on the trial still til tonight (drat time zones), which is about to run out, but I will say I'm keen on the normal Turian Soldier kit. The movement speed penalty on Tech Armour isn't that bad, and high explosives and weapon overclocking clicks well for me.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea you can't get 200% anymore, the way it works now if you have 100% set cooldown bonus but if you look closely at the bar there's sort of a black line, if you go over that line you get cooldown penalties, otherwise you can gear up with whatever you need.

Like on my Sentinel I can carry that pistol that fires like an SMG and a shotgun and I have only 10% penalty.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

shadok posted:

MEA bronze seems harder than ME3 bronze was. Or is that just my faded memories of a game I haven't played in two years?

Is it just we haven't all got rare characters and guns yet? I used to Krogan solo Bronze for fun but I was doing it with a level 20 character with fully upgraded gear.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Is it just we haven't all got rare characters and guns yet? I used to Krogan solo Bronze for fun but I was doing it with a level 20 character with fully upgraded gear.

I could easily solo silver with most classes and gold with some. This game will take getting used to for sure but I find it a lot harder. As noted the enemies are far more aggressive, amongst other things.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Two Finger posted:

Yeah I wiped like a bitch on wave 1 on my only foray into it. I'm pretty good at 3 but this is going to take some learning.

Do you think they got sick of things like plat farming or people soloing gold/plat and have adjusted the difficulty accordingly?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thundercloud posted:

Do you think they got sick of things like plat farming or people soloing gold/plat and have adjusted the difficulty accordingly?

I'd say they wanna encourage team work more. poo poo goes south fast if your team isn't working together, but the game hasn't been out long either.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Im just gonna say gently caress remnant. On silver the observer laser can kill you before you see it hitting you most of the time.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeaaah Remnant is starting to feel like the Collectors from 3.
I think the enemies in this one are a lot more aggressive and better at attacking us all together than the AI in 3 was.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Ultra-Rare classes seem pretty fuckin' busted.

The Human Kineticist is pretty much the only character who can prime and detonate their own combos from range. The Agaran Avenger has a team cloak and does stupid burst damage because his powers have no cooldown. The Salarian Operator doesn't look like much at first, but his Shield Boost power is insane; you and anyone in range are basically immortal for a few seconds when you pop it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On the phone app, does anyone know what any of the icons or modifiers actually mean?

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Is it worth saving up 100k to buy the best pack or just buying ones inbetween?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Got the Krogan Vanguard out of a box. This is going to be fun. Of course that assumes the host won't drop for the 10th time and everyone won't just run off and get slaughtered individually.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pruney posted:

Is it worth saving up 100k to buy the best pack or just buying ones inbetween?

No buy smaller packs until you have all the basics maxed is the consensus

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Basics maxed? and I have 60k at the moment.

Using the Krogan Vanguard with a gold scattershot 1 and a pistol 1

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Why are so many of the new guns semi-auto burst?
And why are they so terrible? :negative:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pruney posted:

Basics maxed as in Rank X in all the weapons and classes. That only happens if you play hundreds of hours of multiplayer, though. In general, save up for the 100k packs, it's the best way to get the rare unlocks.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Why are so many of the new guns semi-auto burst?
And why are they so terrible? :negative:

Hurricane is still in, and still awesome.

Sniper Rifles also seem really good.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

I'm already near 100k so I'll get a rare pack

Also how do you rank up the weapons..?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pruney posted:

I'm already near 100k so I'll get a rare pack

By unlocking duplicates in packs, same for classes and weapon upgrades.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

Hurricane is still in, and still awesome.

Sniper Rifles also seem really good.

I meant the burst guns, specifically. I'm perfectly happy with the Charger, I was just hoping by now I'd have some other options to play with that weren't the Avenger.

Pruney posted:

Same way as in ME3: Keep buying packs, duplicate cards level up the weapon.
:worship:Praise Dread RNG:worship:

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Ohh okay. Right well I'll buy my rare pack and then start buying all the cheap ones. Should I focus on getting the shittest pack or the one above it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Pruney posted:

Sorry, I should have said commons.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Pruney posted:

Ohh okay. Right well I'll buy my rare pack and then start buying all the cheap ones. Should I focus on getting the shittest pack or the one above it?

Second from the top, the 5000 credit one (at least that's what it is on PS4, no reason it'd be different elsewhere but I don't want to assume) is the one to focus on first. The cheapest one only gives consumable items; handy if you run out, but it won't give you unlocks.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm constantly jumping over cover now because I'm so used to pressing A for everything

What's the deal with the enemy with a red sphere? Am I supposed to shoot the little orb thing that goes around it?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm constantly jumping over cover now because I'm so used to pressing A for everything

What's the deal with the enemy with a red sphere? Am I supposed to shoot the little orb thing that goes around it?

Yes. Shoot the little orb thing that spins around him; when it dies he'll freak the gently caress out and be vulnerable for a while, and eventually he'll make a new one that you'll have to kill as well if you don't kill him fast enough. He doesn't regenerate health while inside it, though, so just kill it again and repeat until he dies.

Or at least he doesn't regen on Bronze; I can't speak for later difficulties.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Oh, and hey for some reason the Human Kineticist has a free extra ability where once you get six kills you can hold melee to 'ascend' and have zero cooldown and cost shields. If you have good cover you can just sit and spam combos.

Is she the only class with a bonus power like that?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've tried silver once against Remnant and it ended in a successful extraction but it definitely felt like it boiled down to whether you had a good gun or not. The two guys armed with Talons carried the damage load a lot more than the guys with Equalizers (which seems to have a rather short maximum range).

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Yes. Shoot the little orb thing that spins around him; when it dies he'll freak the gently caress out and be vulnerable for a while, and eventually he'll make a new one that you'll have to kill as well if you don't kill him fast enough. He doesn't regenerate health while inside it, though, so just kill it again and repeat until he dies.

Or at least he doesn't regen on Bronze; I can't speak for later difficulties.

Not to mention, he can't fling around any sync kills when he's orbless. If you're close and he's charging up to sync your arse (as others have said, watch for bronze / orange rings appearing near you), if the orb's low on health, killing it might be more reliable an escape than jetting away.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Two Finger posted:

I could easily solo silver with most classes and gold with some. This game will take getting used to for sure but I find it a lot harder. As noted the enemies are far more aggressive, amongst other things.

Man the amount of times I've managed to start reviving just as a random mook was about to stomp them.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah the balance is pretty clearly still utter garbage

How fast do you get killed on silver and gold? In ME3 it felt like most classes couldn't last an instant out of cover on gold without instantly dropping to the health gate, but from watching some streams it seems like normal characters don't melt quite so fast and the enemies have fewer attacks like phantom/atlas guns that will instantly burst you to the health gate. You feel a lot more survivable on bronze here than in ME3, and I hope it stays that way. I like having a bit more warning before you fall over, especially since getting downed in general is more dangerous now.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Mar 22, 2017

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this is mostly how my playing went yesterday

http://i.imgur.com/68e8CiI.gifv

poo poo's tough with an Avenger 1 :-/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The base classes all seem really garbage, with the exception of Infiltrators. I had a lot more fun once I got some of the Uncommon and Rare classes.

• Locked thread