Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Hey, time again for a college baseball thread that most people won't look at till the College World Series, if even then. Which is a shame, because college baseball is the best baseball! At this level pretty much every day you get position players pitching, comedy fielding, bunts, cool pinging sounds, future major leaguers, bunts, future car salesmen, constant huge upsets, bunts, and the best rain delay antics.

Opening day is this Friday, February 17. Now that there's one unified opening weekend, pretty much every team will be playing somewhere as long as nature obliges. If you're new to college ball vs. the professional variety, now is the time to follow your team or adopt a random one. If you have a team near you, it's also a great way to kill an afternoon—the bigger teams are starting to up prices quite a bit, but most games at the smaller schools are still super cheap.

Polls are as meaningless in this sport as any other, especially last season when Coastal Carolina came...not out of nowhere, exactly, they've had a good program for a long time, but still, in a sport dominated by the SEC with help from the ACC, Big XII, and Pac-12, no one would generally pick a Big South team as their eventual champion. It was a hell of a series, though. Anyway, this year everyone loves TCU and, to a lesser extent, Florida. For polls I recommend the CBI Composite, which smooths out the huge anomalies present in any single one of the polls; this year's preseason version is below. No, I don't know why the BA entry drifted over to the team column.

There's tons of info online about NCAA baseball now, and also lots of games on TV or streaming on ESPN3 or conference networks. For scoreboard options you've got D1Baseball or the NCAA itself. Baseball America has reliable coverage. There's no outright Kenpom equivalent, but Boyd's World hosts a few different stat-based ranking systems.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Are there any guys who are already big draft names? I don't remember any of the talked-up HS guys fro last year not singing, but I assume there are guys who will be juniors this year with some hype (juniors are the usual draft year, right? I know seniors generally get the underslot money because they have no leverage.)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Mandatory viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vtHeyLTks

Inspector_666 posted:

Are there any guys who are already big draft names? I don't remember any of the talked-up HS guys fro last year not singing, but I assume there are guys who will be juniors this year with some hype (juniors are the usual draft year, right? I know seniors generally get the underslot money because they have no leverage.)

The USA Baseball Roster is a pretty good indicator, all those sophomores listed there are draft-eligible juniors now, and many of the likely first rounders as of preseason estimation are on there: Kendall (Vandy OF), Wright (Vandy RHP), Faedo (Florida RHP), McKay (Louisville 1B/LHP), Bukauskas (UNC RHP), Lange (LSU RHP) and Houck (Mizzou RHP) are all top 10 caliber.

It's pretty widely expected that the 2018 college draft class is the one to watch for, though. Clemson 1B Seth Beer in particular is the next mega-prospect (he's also a year younger than his class, which is terrifying).

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 15, 2017

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Opening day upsets:

VCU over #5 FSU, San Diego over #7 Vandy (yesterday, several SoCal teams got a special waiver to start early because of the expected rains), Ole Miss over #10 ECU, Wright State over #11 Clemson.

Ole Miss will be very good by the end of the year, they have maybe the #1 class in the nation. But the others are surprises, especially VCU winning in a one-hit shutout.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What is the best B1G team this year and how bad is the B1G overall?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Mizzou took both parts of a doubleheader today. One by scoring 27 runs. One by walking off. Baseball is weird.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What is the best B1G team this year and how bad is the B1G overall?

Best B1G team is probably Maryland, and they'll probably get around 3 teams in the field of 64. No serious contenders for Omaha.

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

We're getting into a rhythm now
The Beavs are stacked, from hitting to arms, and picked to win the PAC. The returnees all have a chip on their shoulder from getting screwed and left out of last years tournament. Can't take any game for granted this season. Anything less than a trip to Omaha is a disappointment. I'm going up to Corvallis in May for the Wazzu series.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
https://twitter.com/BsbLifestyle__/status/833386571856486400

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Biggest news over the weekend was Ole Miss sweeping ECU—people expected them to be good by the end of this year, but not this good this soon.

Meanwhile, wild day today: Florida, Florida State, LSU all losing midweek games to the likes of South Florida, Jacksonville, and New Orleans. You usually don't see polls move much in the early part of the season, but these are the kinds of games that change that.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Climate change is terrifying and billions will probably die in our lifetimes but goddamn if this isn't the best day ever for some February baseball.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Mizzou just beat Houston without Houck pitching.

I think this new coach they got is pretty good

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that the ncaa is at it again https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/836709970502643712

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Good weekend for UW - dropped the first game of the series against Sacramento State but swept the double header yesterday and have a lead this afternoon.

Baseball America seems to like them more than any of the other rankings and has them at 11 going into the weekend.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

You are at home in an A-N-H series tied at 1-1.
It's the top of the 9th, you are leading 3-2.
There are two outs, the bases are empty.
Seth Beer, last years CBWA Player of the year, is at the plate.
Do you :
A: Throw him three consecutive breaking balls?
or
B: Literally anything else?

Cause guess how that went.
And just to rub salt in the wound. In the 11th Clemson scores the go ahead run essentially winning the series, when the pitcher mistakes the backdrop for the catcher while attempting to intentionally walk...
... wait for it ...
Seth Beer.

It's was the most South Carolina way to lose. Suck it Cocks!
Great Baseball series this weekend. Couple really determined teams battling all weekend long.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Aggies gave up 5 runs in the ninth in back to back games, blowing leads and losing in both.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

lads, Missouri has won 15 games on the trot, and is pretty fwiggin good

(quote this when they gently caress it up in SEC play, I don't care)

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Troy Queef posted:

lads, Missouri has won 15 games on the trot, and is pretty fwiggin good

(quote this when they gently caress it up in SEC play, I don't care)

I haven't said anything because being a Missouri fan has taught me to never say anything positive ever. (I periodically forget this, like when the basketball team loses their second game by taking a ranked team to OT)

Anyway. They're gonna break my heart because I'm falling for it again.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

Mississippi State has had a rough start to this season, although it's not totally unexpected considering the talent we lost from last year's squad.

Of interesting note is the insane number of arms (several of which we were counting on for this season) that we've lost to TJ - I think the count is up to 7 right now that are on our squad currently. Folks on MSU message boards are pretty well convinced the fault lies with our ex-pitching coach Wes Johnson (who took the same job at Arkansas). If I'm not mistaken, they recently lost two pitchers to TJ as well, so they may not be far off. The running idea is that his approach to increasing velocity (which is what he prides himself on) stresses younger, less-conditioned arms far too hard far too early with weighted balls and intense training. Who knows, though. We could just be extremely unlucky this year.

It's particularly unfortunate because this team is a couple of quality arms in the bullpen away from having solid postseason potential. We may turn things around anyways, but we have comically little depth on the mound right now. Hell, we pitched last years SEC Freshman of the Year Jake Mangum in tonight's midweek game. He's an outfielder. He actually did pretty good, though - 3 IP, 0H, 0R, 5K!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Tennessee is....good? Am I seeing that right?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Arizona comes rolling into town this week to face the Beavs. Cats lead the nation in batting avg and runs scored. Beavs lead the nation in ERA. This is where the season went off the rails last year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

elentar posted:

it is with a heavy heart that I must announce that the ncaa is at it again https://twitter.com/sportscenter/status/836709970502643712

I hope someday the NCAA not only gets dissolved but they burn down whatever headquarters they have and a mob is waiting with clubs outside for whomever flees the building.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn swept #5 Florida at home this weekend and went on the road to take one from Georgia Tech last night so this could be a turning point after the Golloway fiasco.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

MIZZOU STREAK UPDATE: They've now won 20 in a row, and have Arky at home this weekend in their toughest test yet.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Highly-ranked Florida was losing a midweek game to Stetson today 10-1 in the top of the 5th, when a huge downpour ended play for the day. Florida has since refused to reschedule a date to resume play, despite Stetson being able to bus over literally any day to try to hang on to their lead for four innings.

Bitch move, Gators.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Seems like this could backfire on them unless the seeding commitee is specifically forbidden from taking it into account.

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
I've tried to give him all the benefits of the doubt, but I think I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon of SC fans saying Holbrook has worn out his stay as coach

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

Tennessee is....good? Am I seeing that right?

oh wait nm

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Let us celebrate one of the funniest things I've ever seen in baseball

The link at the end shows that he at least acknowledges he messed up and has learned from it but I love this clip so much.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

Haven't posted here because I didn't want to jinx it but gently caress it. Clemson is good but in a frustrating way. We seem to love to get ahead and let teams back in it only to pull it back for the win. Went to FSU today and went up like 10-1 and let them come back to tie it before getting 2 more runs in the 9th to win the game. Can't complain to much about a 30-5 and 14-2 record.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

7-2-6 triple play for Kentucky vs. Louisville
https://twitter.com/SECNetwork/status/854483882984525824/video/1

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
So Texas Tech and UNM had what must have been a spring football scrimmage today, with TTU coming out ahead 27-15.

I mean. The gently caress?

bathhouse
Apr 21, 2010

Here is an interesting article to put the Beavs season in perspective. I’m hoping we cap it off right. It has been a fun season to watch no matter what happens.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Virginia is putting together a really good season in a year nobody expected much of them, despite a few recent recruiting blips Brian O'Connor remains one of the best coaches in the nation.

NC State meanwhile has taken a team many regarded as CWS-level and driven out to the desert to die. I was sort of skeptical of the CWS thing but they clearly have enough to be a regional host, not struggling to even make the ACC Tournament (much less the NCAAs). They got swept by Boston College for god's sake. It would have been hard to see Elliot Avent getting booted after actually getting them to Omaha but with wasting this year and not winning an ACC title at least during the Rodon/Turner days it's getting hard to argue that he'll ever add any more high points to the program's paltry history.

bathhouse posted:

Here is an interesting article to put the Beavs season in perspective. I’m hoping we cap it off right. It has been a fun season to watch no matter what happens.

Very earnestly relying on Oregon State to once again prevent UNC from winning the CWS. I hope it doesn't get to that point, obviously, but it would be pretty hilarious if it happened.

elentar fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 4, 2017

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

So Texas Tech and UNM had what must have been a spring football scrimmage today, with TTU coming out ahead 27-15.

I mean. The gently caress?

Cute premise, but we both know a Tech-UNM scrimmage ends up 67-55.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

ALA@AUB is entering the 15th inning and sixth hour on SECN. Plenty of crazy poo poo has happened that I would describe but I think I forgot it a few hours ago.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

lamentable dustman posted:

Haven't posted here because I didn't want to jinx it but gently caress it.

rear end in a top hat.

Record before post: 30-5
Record after post: 8-10 including getting swept by UNC (A) and Louisville (H)

I mean, did you not know about the baseball Gods and how they smite fuckers who say things like you did?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

ACC tournament schedule announced. They've changed the format to get more teams in, and also to make it so teams aren't drawing dead after day 1 even if they haven't played yet. Not double elimination, but some sort of improvement? Anyway: it's four "pods" with three teams each, so beat both your podmates and you're through to the semis. Not sure what tiebreaker is yet, ACC site itself seems stuck on old one.

Pod 1: Louisville, FSU, Notre Dame
Pod 2: UNC, NC State, BC
Pod 3: Wake, Miami, GT
Pod 4: Virginia, Clemson, Duke

UNC has probably been the best in the ACC all year, and the tournament sets up decently for them, in particular because Louisville just lost a series at home to FSU. State has been playing a lot better though, they're not the team that got swept by BC earlier this year (though it wouldn't shock me if they lost a fourth game to them this week).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

drewhead posted:

rear end in a top hat.

Record before post: 30-5
Record after post: 8-10 including getting swept by UNC (A) and Louisville (H)

I mean, did you not know about the baseball Gods and how they smite fuckers who say things like you did?

I never posted because I knew I hosed up and was hoping to fix it. Maybe we'll get the MOJO back with the playoffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Rain hosed the ACC tournament yesterday, they had to move one game over to the Louisville campus today, maybe one tomorrow. Last bit of the system still coming through.

• Locked thread