Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maybe the alarm is when you're going to die, and you keep getting 2-4 minute reprieves?

Seriously though, some app is setting that alarm and you'll have to uninstall things until you find it. It's a third party app since it goes away in safe mode. Honestly you're probably going to have to factory reset. What phone is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

"Dead on Arrival"

A super-advanced medical AI has gone many years without giving an incorrect diagnosis. Howe, a lonely but very wealthy young man who is completely immersed in his business, has been given a prognosis by the AI, and will die in 2 weeks. A man known for taking charge in every situation and having a short temper, he decides to leave his job and find a more meaningful way to spend his remaining time.

Scared of dying alone, he spends the next two weeks befriending and falling in love with a woman, Robin, who does not reciprocate his feelings. However, on the last day of his two weeks, a drunk and frustrated Howe shoots Robin after an argument. While mourning Robin in a fit of regret and shame, the clock moves forward 2 minutes when it was supposed to end. He looks at his situation and, with his 2 newfound minutes of life, he decides to take his own life. As he falls to the ground, his clock hits 0 and moves forward 2 minutes again.

Later, two technicians for the medical AI are seen conversing and one comments on Howe's case, pointing out his clean bill of health. The other comments on how they did everything right: they sent Howe a message on Allo, Hangouts, Slack, Telegram, WeChat and Whatsapp that the machine made a mistake the day he got the prognosis, but Howe had an iPhone and didn't have any of those apps. Since none of those apps had SMS fallback, he never got the message. The year is 2030.

e: also he killed Robin because she kept asking him to use WhatsApp instead of SMS.

jokes fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Mar 16, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

jokes posted:

they sent Howe a message on Allo, Hangouts, Slack, Telegram, WeChat and Whatsapp that the machine made a mistake the day he got the prognosis, but Howe had an iPhone and didn't have any of those apps.

Sounds like he needed this new miraculous product
http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/13/14908218/eye-esti-inc-iphone-case-android-why-kickstarter

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Wacky Delly posted:

If you're tapping, Swiftkey's swiping engine isn't nearly as good as the competition.

I do a combination of tapping and swiping with swiftkey. I've tried a number of different keyboards but swiftkey is still my favorite because the other ones I've tried don't have a nice balance between the two imo.

I think it's just because I've been using it for 4 years and the predictions have gotten really accurate.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Maybe the alarm is when you're going to die, and you keep getting 2-4 minute reprieves?

Seriously though, some app is setting that alarm and you'll have to uninstall things until you find it. It's a third party app since it goes away in safe mode. Honestly you're probably going to have to factory reset. What phone is this?

Pixel. I was able to find the app.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Pixel. I was able to find the app.

Well what was it? I've got to know!

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Well what was it? I've got to know!

Same

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I read an article about how poo poo a lot of the VPN apps for Android are; is there a good one out there somewhere?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Thanatosian posted:

I read an article about how poo poo a lot of the VPN apps for Android are; is there a good one out there somewhere?
The article I saw about that mentioned a couple:

quote:

Reputable partly free VPN services include Avast's SecureLine VPN and Avira's Phantom VPN There's also F-Secure's Freedome VPN; it costs $6 per month to use, but was singled out as being especially trustworthy by the authors of the VPN-app research paper we mentioned earlier.
I've used Freedome before but only briefly.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If you have the functionality built into your router, OpenVPN is solid. That way, you just tunnel through your home ISP for no additional cost, rather than a potentially untrustworthy intermediary.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

azurite posted:

If you have the functionality built into your router, OpenVPN is solid. That way, you just tunnel through your home ISP for no additional cost, rather than a potentially untrustworthy intermediary.
That's perfect, actually; looks like my Archer C9 supports it, and one of the reasons I wanted to do this was so I could use a Pi Hole, anyhow. Thanks!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

GMaps is getting real-time location sharing: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/22/google-maps-finally-gets-real-time-location-sharing-including-navigation-routes/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

I've got the beta app and I'm actually surprised this never popped up, either way that's a slick feature.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

cage-free egghead posted:

I've got the beta app and I'm actually surprised this never popped up, either way that's a slick feature.

Also beta, I've not recieved it yet. I actually use the G+ locations, so this is a welcome change (back to the old way). I'm hoping it works well, but from the article it looks like it'll do exactly what I want.

e: who knows, maybe it'll work on iphones too!

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

I'm pretty excited for this. My wife and I use Glympse to coordinate all the time, even though I find the app kind of clumsy. It'll be nice to have it integrated into Maps. Also easier to send location to family/friends who don't want to install a whole separate app (everyone I know has Google Maps installed, except maybe a few iPhone users).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

incogneato posted:

I'm pretty excited for this. My wife and I use Glympse to coordinate all the time, even though I find the app kind of clumsy. It'll be nice to have it integrated into Maps. Also easier to send location to family/friends who don't want to install a whole separate app (everyone I know has Google Maps installed, except maybe a few iPhone users).

Man, it's gotta suck for app developers who have this one idea for their app that people use, and then Google comes along and streamlines the whole thing, ties it right into everything else they're using. I know Waze has a few non-gamified features that Google Maps doesn't have, but I don't care, I'm probably going to use Google Maps before it. Same goes for Drive vs Dropbox. Integrated support for Google Docs? Yes please.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, it's gotta suck for app developers who have this one idea for their app that people use, and then Google comes along and streamlines the whole thing, ties it right into everything else they're using. I know Waze has a few non-gamified features that Google Maps doesn't have, but I don't care, I'm probably going to use Google Maps before it. Same goes for Drive vs Dropbox. Integrated support for Google Docs? Yes please.

Google bought Waze, probably for the purpose of integrating their real-time traffic tracking.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

incogneato posted:

Yeah, we've been using Glympse, too. Except we use it when she does 10k/15k/half marathons. And because she's slow, the 3 hour time limit can give out during a half. I'm looking forward to trying this out.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I can't seem to find the answer for this. How in the world do I disable the feature where phone calls that come into my pixel on Project Fi start ringing on my open gmail window? Its super annoying.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way to choose what notifications have what sound, out do I need a separate app? Like for different contacts, email, etc

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gozinbulx posted:

I can't seem to find the answer for this. How in the world do I disable the feature where phone calls that come into my pixel on Project Fi start ringing on my open gmail window? Its super annoying.

Pretty sure you have to do this in the settings of Hangouts on the computer. Sorry, don't remember the exact steps I took, but it was pretty easy.

Edit: open up Gmail, show the Hangouts tab, click on your name/account, uncheck "ring on incoming calls".

Uthor fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Johnny Truant posted:

Is there a way to choose what notifications have what sound, out do I need a separate app? Like for different contacts, email, etc

Depends on the app.

For calls, in the stock Android phone app, you can set each contact with a unique sound in the options for each contact.

For SMS, you can do the same in the stock Messenger app be going into the options of each conversation. Dunno about the other apps.

Looks like Gmail lets you do it based on labels. You'll have to go to the options for your account, then dig down to the label options (ie, where you can set what is synced for how long).

Don't see a way of doing it in Facebook Messenger. Sorry.

If you just want a separate sound for each app (not each contact), that's usually easier. You set your default notification sound in the Android settings and most apps let you change (or mute) the notification in the options somewhere.

Don't really use any other messaging apps...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Gozinbulx posted:

I was super annoyed by the same thing. You have to "disable hangouts integration" which is not actually referred to by that phrase anywhere in the settings.
1. Open Hangouts
2. tap the top left menu icon
3. tap Settings
4. tap the account your project fi is on
5. Under "Project Fi calls and SMS" make sure the "Messages" toggle is turned OFF

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 22, 2017

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Google's removing/hiding features and then reintroducing them like they're new and special over and over again is some hosed up kind of corporate gaslighting.

This has been available for years if you were on G+. I'm looking at real-time locations for 20 of my google contacts on a map right now.

:psyduck:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Scudworth posted:

Google's removing/hiding features and then reintroducing them like they're new and special over and over again is some hosed up kind of corporate gaslighting.

This has been available for years if you were on G+. I'm looking at real-time locations for 20 of my google contacts on a map right now.

There's zero chance of a non nerd discovering location sharing in G+. Naming it Latitude as a part of Maps back in the day was dumb, moving it to G+ was even more retarded. This is the best solution. The only funny part is Google labeling it as "Hey look at this new thing" instead of "We hosed up and put this in a place where 8 people would find it a few years ago. Our bad."

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Maker Of Shoes posted:

There's zero chance of a non nerd discovering location sharing in G+. Naming it Latitude as a part of Maps back in the day was dumb, moving it to G+ was even more retarded. This is the best solution. The only funny part is Google labeling it as "Hey look at this new thing" instead of "We hosed up and put this in a place where 8 people would find it a few years ago. Our bad."

I'm pretty sure most of my post history in this thread is asking about location sharing and how bad they made it over time. It was definitely not intuitive at all, but this new integration looks nice. Sucks that they have to push this as a new innovation but I'm just glad it's here.

e: it's very useful for festivals, bar crawls, sports events, vacations, or basically anywhere that booze is involved. My friends like to wander off a lot.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 23, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Seems like it sucks to me. I mean, it's nice for the trip countdown but you still have the problem that it requires action on the part of the traveler. It's exactly the same problem Trusted Contacts has which is that there's no way to set it to be passive.

How hard is it to just have a layer in Maps with the people who share their location with you? This seems like another step backward to me.

Edit: Finally read the actual blog post rather than an article about it and you can share locations indefinitely. Wow, good job, Google this will actually be good.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Mar 23, 2017

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Uthor posted:

Depends on the app.

For calls, in the stock Android phone app, you can set each contact with a unique sound in the options for each contact.

For SMS, you can do the same in the stock Messenger app be going into the options of each conversation. Dunno about the other apps.

Looks like Gmail lets you do it based on labels. You'll have to go to the options for your account, then dig down to the label options (ie, where you can set what is synced for how long).

Don't see a way of doing it in Facebook Messenger. Sorry.

If you just want a separate sound for each app (not each contact), that's usually easier. You set your default notification sound in the Android settings and most apps let you change (or mute) the notification in the options somewhere.

Don't really use any other messaging apps...

Yo this post is perfect, thank you!

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Scudworth posted:

It really is fascinating. They've had this capability for at least 5 years through various apps, it boggles the mind that it hasn't been part of Maps for years.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Google is good at boggling minds. See, for example, the Assistant fragmentation.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Taffer posted:

It really is fascinating. They've had this capability for at least 5 years through various apps, it boggles the mind that it hasn't been part of Maps for years.

Originally, it was. They pushed it to G+, I assume, to gain adoption.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

deong posted:

Originally, it was. They pushed it to G+, I assume, to gain adoption.

They pushed it to G+ because under their vision at the time, it made sense. Locating your friends is, after all, a social interaction.

It's amazing the way how much Google both got right and got wrong during that period. I find it endlessly fascinating the way corporations can both know what to do and completely miss the point on matters both inconsequential and existential and the G+ transition could probably fill multiple books.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005
I signed out of my google account on my pixel, and when I signed back in on the same phone hangouts moved all of my sms to a new 'profile' within the app, so now hangouts messages are under my google account, and I need to switch to 'sms' to view texts.

Before texts and hangouts were both listed in the same list. Is there any way to get it back to how it was?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
"As part of that ongoing effort, we will be removing carrier SMS text messaging from Hangouts on Android after May 22, 2017."

Shaka, when the walls fell.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Pympede posted:

I signed out of my google account on my pixel, and when I signed back in on the same phone hangouts moved all of my sms to a new 'profile' within the app, so now hangouts messages are under my google account, and I need to switch to 'sms' to view texts.

Before texts and hangouts were both listed in the same list. Is there any way to get it back to how it was?

Go into Settings > SMS > Default SMS Messaging Account: Choose your gmail.

Took me a while to figure it out too.

Pympede
Jun 17, 2005

LastInLine posted:

Go into Settings > SMS > Default SMS Messaging Account: Choose your gmail.

Took me a while to figure it out too.

That was it, thank you so much!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

"As part of that ongoing effort, we will be removing carrier SMS text messaging from Hangouts on Android after May 22, 2017."

Shaka, when the walls fell.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/23/hangouts-android-will-remove-sms-support-may-22/

pouring one out irl

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Great, now to go back to using Messages for the two SMSs I receive a month. Might as well move my Voice poo poo to the Voice app since that isn't long for this world either.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

LastInLine posted:

Great, now to go back to using Messages for the two SMSs I receive a month. Might as well move my Voice poo poo to the Voice app since that isn't long for this world either.

Yep, I just switched back to the Voice app today too. At least it's currently in a much better place than where we left it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Ever since Voice e updated with its new design it seems like 50% of the time I get the notice that it couldn't complete the call and gives me option to retry with Google Voice or my carrier number.

It's infuriating because there's no way to tell if I've just got a slow to connect call or that prompt has appeared without pulling the phone away from my head to check.