Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Sentinel is great (if you get an assault rifle that's basically a grenade launcher).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

With the lag, sync kills are just horrible, even if you escape there's like a 90% chance you'll just rubber band back into range and die again.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I haven't had lag issues, but I've been mostly joining on friends who are in the US.
Also, screw pubbies, play with goons. You'd be shocked by how much easier it is when people are on the same page.

Sarmhan fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 22, 2017

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The lag seems to have gotten a ton better since the game started unlocking, but I have no clue why that would be the case.

As for the common classes they don't feeling boring so much as they feel 'standard' if that makes sense. Sometimes I can't be bothered playing well and just want to plink anyway with concussion/grenades from behind cover and Soldier suits me fine for that. :v:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
What this thread has done its best to teach me: My level 1 common gear and characters are poo poo. Thanks, thread.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That will be fixed real fast when you get a couple of 5000-cred packs a match.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
It will be fixed when I stop reading forums.somethingawful.com.

e: I've heard smarter poo poo vomited through the always-on voice chat from the MEA general public.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have been having fun with an infiltrator and a viper, but I was completely unable to beat a Strike Mission that gave the Kett a 1000% melee bonus. Like 3 wipeouts before I gave up :negative:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

With the lag, sync kills are just horrible, even if you escape there's like a 90% chance you'll just rubber band back into range and die again.

So pretty much ME3 MP then, got it.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

It will be fixed when I stop reading forums.somethingawful.com.

e: I've heard smarter poo poo vomited through the always-on voice chat from the MEA general public.

Wow it's like I'm really reading the GTA Online thread!!

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Also keep in mind that you're not going to be able to do the old 6/6/6/5/3 right off the bat - you need to hit level 20 and have the character ranked up to X via card drops to have the same number of points as a level 20 character in ME3.

It might be better to focus on basic classes first since you're more likely to have those at rank X than an ultra rare. :sigh:

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
What classes do you all feel are effective in silver right now based on powers? I feel like all my guns are poo poo and I'd rather not have to rely on them. I have a salarian infiltrator at V and his sticky grenades actually feel good to use if you are ok with exhausting every ammo box on the map. They don't break your cloak so I assume they get the cloak damage bonus and you can drop up to four at a time.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Origin PC ID is purerok. Looking for people to do APEX missions with, or whatever. Just shoot aliens until they're dead.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Vanguard with a good close range gun(hurricane) did alright in silver I did a full extraction with one as long as you are always charging and dashing to refill ammo you are hard to lock down. I haven't tried any others but my friend who is a soldier and has a fantastic gun did alright.

After I max out my vanguard I think I it will be really drat good I specced him last night(post silver) for DR and more shield restore on charge and I plan to spec at least one of the others as a primer if not both. I figure if you combo that with barrier specced to restore on melee you'll be pretty tough.

I think sentinel could be really good too the energy drain skill can restore a lot of shields and they have some nice passive bonuses to DR, just not sure if they will be good at blowing stuff up.

If anyone has tried out the ultra rare salarian dude let me know what you think I got him last night and shield boost looks awesome as hell, just not sure he'll be as pure murder as my vanguard.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

chesnok posted:

Silver is goddamn brutal.

I got a lvl 16 character and thought maybe it was time. Nope. Tried two and both first wave wipes, I don't know when it will ever be time to move up to silver.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I have completed 3 silvers on my level 14 sentinel, 1 with full extraction and two with partial. All in quick match too.

I do leave silver lobbies with level 1 classes though.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Hey guys, I was wondering if you can play with a friend in matchmaking in a public game? My friend and I tried it the other day but it seemed to not work. It just had us in the lobby without any other pubbies joining in. Anyways, if any cool goons want to get a full goon squad together let me know! PSN: Lord_Snow56, friend request me and say your a goon.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anyone know if area effects will trigger every single primer if everyone is within the area, or is it just on the main target?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Just the main target.

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Pierson posted:

The lag seems to have gotten a ton better since the game started unlocking, but I have no clue why that would be the case.

a) Larger group of people with non-lovely connections
b) Fewer people playing while preloading the game
c) Fewer people trying to play via VPN to Korea

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Thanks. Anyone have thoughts on +30% all combo damage and all combo radius vs 20% defense debuff on biotic affected enemies? How does that stack with Annihilation Field's 20%? Is it additive or multiplicative?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MarshyMcFly posted:

Hey guys, I was wondering if you can play with a friend in matchmaking in a public game? My friend and I tried it the other day but it seemed to not work. It just had us in the lobby without any other pubbies joining in. Anyways, if any cool goons want to get a full goon squad together let me know! PSN: Lord_Snow56, friend request me and say your a goon.

Try readying up as the host, that usually fixes it.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Thanks. Anyone have thoughts on +30% all combo damage and all combo radius vs 20% defense debuff on biotic affected enemies? How does that stack with Annihilation Field's 20%? Is it additive or multiplicative?

If I recall, all bonuses were additive in ME 3, so I'm going to guess it's the same here.

As for combo damage vs. defense debuff, I think it'll depend on if you're one of the classes that can prime armored/shielded targets. If you have Annihilation Field or Singularity, it's worth considering the debuff, but I don't actually know for sure which is better. If you can't prime armor targets then go combo damage 100% of the time since the stuff you're priming will be low health, and all you'll be looking to do is get off big explosions.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
My origin ID is TunnelvisionTenz.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Origin ID is Nim998, spamming lots of silver missions while I level stuff up.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 22, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nechronic posted:

What classes do you all feel are effective in silver right now based on powers? I feel like all my guns are poo poo and I'd rather not have to rely on them. I have a salarian infiltrator at V and his sticky grenades actually feel good to use if you are ok with exhausting every ammo box on the map. They don't break your cloak so I assume they get the cloak damage bonus and you can drop up to four at a time.

Well, I'm stuck in a waiting room for the next hour, so here's some classes that work fine on Silver even with awful gear...

Common:

Human Infiltrator: Best common class in my opinion. Sticky Grenades provides huge burst damage. Run in, empty your grenade stock on a priority target, then cloak out, restock and repeat. Gets even better when you have a real gun to use in between. Just like in ME 3, Infiltrators are gud.
Human Vanguard: Crap damage, but you're very durable once you max out Charge and can spam it to keep your shields stable.
Human Engineer: Likewise low damage, but you have a lot of control. Cryo and Overload both have a short CC effect, and the Assult Turret pulls a fair amount of aggro.

Above Common:

Pretty much anything? There are a handful of lemons, but most of the unlock classes are decent enough. Some them are also flat out busted. I recommend you get lucky and open some of the Ultra-rares asap as all but one of them are stupid good.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
If you have garbage guns and no classes above the starters, I'd say Adept, Engineer and Sentinel are good, in that order.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bronze definitely feels harder than ME3

I feel like even as a Level 1 Adept I could one-shot mooks with biotic explosions back then

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

If you have garbage guns and no classes above the starters, I'd say Adept, Engineer and Sentinel are good, in that order.

But the Adept's cooldowns are so looooong, and Shockwave is a garbage power for garbage people :(

moist turtleneck posted:

Bronze definitely feels harder than ME3

I feel like even as a Level 1 Adept I could one-shot mooks with biotic explosions back then

Combos do about the same amount of damage, but they've made them a lot harder to pull off. There are only like three or four classes in the entire roster who can both prime and detonate.

They also removed Warp, so priming stuff with shields or armor is almost impossible. Lance is a sad, sad replacement. Stupid thing doesn't even arc over cover.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 22, 2017

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Skippy McPants posted:

But the Adept's cooldowns are so looooong, and Shockwave is a garbage power for garbage people :(

Shockwave was definitely garbage in ME3, but I haven't looked at it in Andromeda; I'm expecting it's still bad. I'm suggesting Adept mostly because they have two primers, one of which is ridiculously long and has the potential for multiple detonations. I'm saying this under the assumption that your teammates are reasonably competent and love detonations.

EDIT: Lance can headshot though!

EDIT2: If you pick up Asari Adept, you're set, I think. I've got one and it's the only thing I run. It's sorta ridiculous how good having a permanent aoe primer and 0 cooldown detonator are.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT2: If you pick up Asari Adept, you're set, I think. I've got one and it's the only thing I run. It's sorta ridiculous how good having a permanent aoe primer and 0 cooldown detonator are.

She is very good. The Human Kineticist is also insane if you like Biotic characters.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Asari adept...0 cooldown detonator

What is this detonator you're referring to?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Nechronic posted:

What is this detonator you're referring to?
One of the rank 6 lance evos lets you have Lance use shields instead of incurring a cooldown, like old nova.
This can be combined with the shield-restore evolution of annhiilation field for a lot of fun.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Oh hell yeah. Guess I should level my asari adept then...I should also read through all these talent mutators.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

If you're having trouble in Bronze, buy the 5k packs and grab the Charger pistol/smg. I've been running Silver on a level 12 or 13 asari adept with a charger x no problem, especially if I toss some incendiary ammo on it for extra explosions.

I put it on my level 1 Krogan Sentinel, and proceeded to out dps a bunch of level 10 guys. It's not gamebreakingly powerful or anything, it's just really solid unlike most of the other commons.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ein Sexmonster posted:

One of the rank 6 lance evos lets you have Lance use shields instead of incurring a cooldown, like old nova.
This can be combined with the shield-restore evolution of annhiilation field for a lot of fun.

In addition to this, Asari Adept's shield tree has 20% shield restore on melee attack or +40% max shields when annihilation field is up (former is better, I think), and 10% shield restore on biotic kill.

EDIT: Additionally, I use a sniper rifle on my asari adept, and alternate firing it and lancing people that are out of range. It's set up so they're basically a sniper rifle that fires twice and has no recoil. Anything too close is getting on the detonation and punch pain train, which just happens to let me lance more.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 22, 2017

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I somehow ended up with one of the human sentinels at rank 9, while the rest of my basic classes are closer to 5, so I gave him a shot. Couple rounds in I'd maxed out tech armor, and I'm actually quite impressed with the durability of the class (chose the damage reduction evolutions, and the 50% shield recharge/recharge delay after being hit evolution). Surprisingly effective even though I only have invested points into tech armor. Been running with the Sweeper assault rifle, which I have mixed feelings about, but it doesn't need reloads, so I never have to worry about interrupting a reload to advance, retreat, or melee. Seems to work ok so far. Sentinel combos nicely with Asari adept too, since you have two detonator abilities. Deployable barrier is useful during extractions and objective rounds too.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
I've been consistently clearing silver on my lvl 14 human engineer. The more combo damage evolution is mandatory tho if you want decent damage output. It doesn't hurt that I grabbed an N7 eagle out of one of a premium pack but a leveled charger is pretty good too.

edit: Also take the radius evolution on cryobeam and use chain overload to detonate groups of frozen dudes.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 22, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

The base classes all seem really garbage, with the exception of Infiltrators. I had a lot more fun once I got some of the Uncommon and Rare classes.

Yeah they kinda are, luckily I just unlocked Krogan Vanguard and along with the Talon I was lucky enough to get he is almost unkillable

Enemy factions are definitely a hidden difficulty level instead of just being "Different". Outlaws are super easy even when not-Atlases show up, Kett start easy but get very hard, and Remnant require different tactics because while you can Charge Observers you can't Nova or Melee them and Observers are The Biggest Assholes

My biggest gripe with pubbies right now is they never use goddamn missiles. Again. :shepicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
An extra good side effect of buying all the cheapo packs to max out on commons is having a boatload of consumables to use!

• Locked thread