Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I finally got to the endgame and things got heavy.

I feel like we should be blaming the parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Rand Brittain posted:

I finally got to the endgame and things got heavy.

I feel like we should be blaming the parents.

Seems harsh to be honest. Their dad at least kept telling them not to just go off and do things. How were they to know even the smart one would be a gibbering idiot sometimes.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

Seems harsh to be honest. Their dad at least kept telling them not to just go off and do things. How were they to know even the smart one would be a gibbering idiot sometimes.

to be fair, Reynn has done a lot of growing up since the time when she was writing those diary entries, but back then she (a) thought she was helping, and (b) just wanted more time with her mom and didn't understand why she couldn't have it.

I was stunned at the first ending when Lann just dies because I wasn't expecting much plot from the end game. I figured it was just gonna be a "now you're free to do all the stuff you want"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morallyobjected posted:

to be fair, Reynn has done a lot of growing up since the time when she was writing those diary entries, but back then she (a) thought she was helping, and (b) just wanted more time with her mom and didn't understand why she couldn't have it.

I was stunned at the first ending when Lann just dies because I wasn't expecting much plot from the end game. I figured it was just gonna be a "now you're free to do all the stuff you want"

Same, I expected some sort of twist that hints that it's not the real ending but Jesus Christ that was not even remotely close to what I thought it would be.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The double ending was good. The last couple dungeons being endlessly long was less so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

bloodychill posted:

The double ending was good. The last couple dungeons being endlessly long was less so.

I gave up on trying to get all the clearcrysts in Crystal Tower because it was just so goddamned long. Which meant I had to go back and find the missing one later to get Titan, argh, argh, argh.

Also I feel like Lann and Reynn's misdeeds kind of went beyond "this calls for a firm no-no" and into "you are responsible for endless death and misery because you're letting Diabolos run around doing whatever he wants." Like, if we're supposed to believe the Varnas were responsible parents they should have stepped in long before that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, after finally getting the true ending the Who's Who actually says "yes, she was way too indulgent a parent" so I guess it's okay if they knew they were doing it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
New Balthier DLC coming

it's too bad all their DLC so far is just champions that don't really matter if you've already beaten the game

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
So what was the Exnine Knights end goal over than screw over multiverses? You think they might elaborate on that in a hypothetical sequel?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Logical1234 posted:

So what was the Exnine Knights end goal over than screw over multiverses? You think they might elaborate on that in a hypothetical sequel?

as far as I can remember, that's really just their whole goal. get the kids to open the Ultima Gate so the cogna come in and take over the world, and they repeat that ad infinitum for every A-World they can find

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

as far as I can remember, that's really just their whole goal. get the kids to open the Ultima Gate so the cogna come in and take over the world, and they repeat that ad infinitum for every A-World they can find

Yeah, but if you dig deep into the lore of this game..don't laugh at me, I find it interesting! Anyways, there's a lot of things implying some strange things. Like Diablos's comments over the power of fantasy, the original Realm of Fantasy that would later become all the A-Worlds. And other elements. It's like somebody said, let's do a crossover and actually try to explain why this is happening.

Anyone else here down to chat about the plot instead of gameplay for once?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The plot is pretty interesting, although most of it is basically heavily-obscured sequel bait.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

The plot is pretty interesting, although most of it is basically heavily-obscured sequel bait.

I want to know more about Enna Kros myself. Her story seems interesting

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Logical1234 posted:

I want to know more about Enna Kros myself. Her story seems interesting

I don't think you have to spoiler tag Enna Kros. she's literally like the third character you meet in the prologue and she immediately tells you she's God so there's no spoiler there.

I don't know what direction they're going to take a sequel, but I do know that I want to play it a lot. pretty much everything they did in this game, story and gameplay-wise, appealed to me, and I want more of it

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think you have to spoiler tag Enna Kros. she's literally like the third character you meet in the prologue and she immediately tells you she's God so there's no spoiler there.

I suppose you could argue that it's a spoiler that she is telling the unvarnished truth about that, although I won't.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

So the Japanese VO is not available in any way unless you bought the Day One edition? I'm annoyed because I DID buy the Day One edition but the seller (yeah, it was third party on Amazon) mislabeled it. Well, I didn't realize this until much, much later because there is an OPTION RIGHT THERE for Japanese VO but all it says is that you have to activate it from the options menu. Why include the option, if only to tease you and say ha ha you idiot you bought the wrong version.

Well, I guess it doesn't really matter. I think the voice acting is kind of annoying, but given the way these creatures look and bounce around I can't imagine the Japanese VO being any less high pitched and grating.

VVVV I think the acting is fine. I find the sound annoying. VVVV

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 13, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The localisation and voice acting is really good. Tama is bad in both languages,but Reynn and Lann are really good in English.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna bump this old thread because I just started playing this. I just got to Nibelheim, even though it looks a lot more like Midgar. What's some of the better setups? I've been using Fritt / Cockatrice / Reynn (switching it up for the type of dungeon), and Tama / Babyhemoth / Lann. I know I've missed a few mirages and was trying to figure if it's worth it to go back for some older ones.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

seiferguy posted:

I'm gonna bump this old thread because I just started playing this. I just got to Nibelheim, even though it looks a lot more like Midgar. What's some of the better setups? I've been using Fritt / Cockatrice / Reynn (switching it up for the type of dungeon), and Tama / Babyhemoth / Lann. I know I've missed a few mirages and was trying to figure if it's worth it to go back for some older ones.

Getting all three baby Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit forms from the secret area of Nether Nebula is generally worth it if you can spare the time.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Red/Holy Dragon is one that I liked. you can't really go wrong with the elemental ones though, for coverage. I preferred Zapt, myself, and used Black Nakk for fire, but the great thing about this game is that it's almost trivially simple to get a mirage up to speed if you want to switch in a new one, so you can really use whatever floats your boat and, like you have been, switch out for dungeons accordingly.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

I like the holy dragon a lot, and a Baby Tonberry of some description on top of my head. Petty Grudge is a great attack.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I like the holy dragon a lot, and a Baby Tonberry of some description on top of my head. Petty Grudge is a great attack.

I should note, the holy dragon is back in the secret area of icicle ridge, so you can either capture it there or beat it and transfig it from one of the other dragons

on another topic, I'm still trying to round up every treasure chest, and one of the real quality of life things they could do is patch in a counter for how many there are in each area/how many you have. I've been following a video guide, but I'm astounded at the fact that so far I got all the ones in Castle Exnine but somehow missed the very first one in the Watchplains

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Rand Brittain posted:

Getting all three baby Shiva/Ramuh/Ifrit forms from the secret area of Nether Nebula is generally worth it if you can spare the time.

How long does it take? I'd love to get the other forms as well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

seiferguy posted:

How long does it take? I'd love to get the other forms as well.

I gotta tell you, it took me at least an hour.

(You do get good XP for it, though.)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I gotta tell you, it took me at least an hour.

(You do get good XP for it, though.)

just keep in mind, if you spend too long doing it (the encounters are rare, which is why it can take so long), you'll wreck the difficulty curve for a good long while, so if you want any semblance of challenge/strategy, you don't want to grind too much.

if you don't need them right now, there are fixed encounters later, towards the end game, and then you also don't have to deal with the tedium of running around for an hour trying to get them to show up, especially since you don't have the item that makes encounters more frequent yet, at this point, I don't think.

e: finally got the achievement for mastering 100 boards. now I just have to find those stray chests... :shepicide:

morallyobjected fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 22, 2017

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Finding the chests is really awful even if you do what I did and follow video guides to comb back through the entire game.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Finding the chests is really awful even if you do what I did and follow video guides to comb back through the entire game.

that's what I'm doing and I cannot believe how many stupid chests I have missed in obvious places.

in other news, the new Balthier DLC drops tomorrow and Sora goes away forever on the 31st, so if for some reason you haven't downloaded it yet (it's free), make sure you do that

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

morallyobjected posted:

that's what I'm doing and I cannot believe how many stupid chests I have missed in obvious places.

in other news, the new Balthier DLC drops tomorrow and Sora goes away forever on the 31st, so if for some reason you haven't downloaded it yet (it's free), make sure you do that

Limited time DLC is some bullshit but I got it. Thanks

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

morallyobjected posted:

just keep in mind, if you spend too long doing it (the encounters are rare, which is why it can take so long), you'll wreck the difficulty curve for a good long while, so if you want any semblance of challenge/strategy, you don't want to grind too much.

if you don't need them right now, there are fixed encounters later, towards the end game, and then you also don't have to deal with the tedium of running around for an hour trying to get them to show up, especially since you don't have the item that makes encounters more frequent yet, at this point, I don't think.

e: finally got the achievement for mastering 100 boards. now I just have to find those stray chests... :shepicide:

Fair enough, I can wait. The difficulty so far has been fine, and I just realized mirages grow faster than my characters do. I just wish it would be a bit easier to pump some of them up, especially if I need a niche ability like casting shell on an enemy to imprism them.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

seiferguy posted:

Fair enough, I can wait. The difficulty so far has been fine, and I just realized mirages grow faster than my characters do. I just wish it would be a bit easier to pump some of them up, especially if I need a niche ability like casting shell on an enemy to imprism them.

Chocolatte sells on-use items for most buffs/status/elements that you can use to trigger imprism criteria. I kept about 10 of everything on-hand and never had any trouble capturing most new mirages as they came up.The only tricky ones are stat debuffs like "armor reduction" because there aren't items for those.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Chocolatte sells on-use items for most buffs/status/elements that you can use to trigger imprism criteria. I kept about 10 of everything on-hand and never had any trouble capturing most new mirages as they came up.The only tricky ones are stat debuffs like "armor reduction" because there aren't items for those.

yeah, as soon as you have the money for it, make sure you go there and get a stock of all of them so you don't have to rely on having the right move in battle. I usually just did 5, but 10 if you can do it isn't bad, especially since for one mirage in the future, they made an imprism condition a status effect that it resists

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
:siren: Balthier is up on the store :siren:

Here's a video of the Balthier summon. I was too lazy to get one of Sora back when he came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

Yeah, I forget she has that stuff. I've managed to not spend much money on anything since I tend to use cure spells before a battle ends as opposed to using potions. I'll stock up on them, then.

• Locked thread