Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Could you run around with your missile out in ME3? The hindered mobility in this one kinda throws me off. Plus I forgot how it was only having 2 of each supply :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

precision posted:

My biggest gripe with pubbies right now is they never use goddamn missiles. Again. :shepicide:

One thing I like a lot about this iteration of the multiplayer is that the new mobility lets you play a lot more conservative with your consumables if you're smart about it. You never get cornered, so you're a lot more free to rotate around the map, picking off smaller stuff until the mini-bosses are all that remains.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I keep trying to do the Silver strike team mission that has the +100% Shields, -75% Health modifier and pubbies keep being awful at it while my KroGuard stands there never dying lol

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I got lucky with my first box and got the Angara Avenger, I absolutely love it. It can probably perma-stealth a round with enough packs and remembering where the resupplies are, the upgraded stealth field keeps you stealthed during an entire deactivate, and it's saved so many team members already.

Skippy McPants posted:

One thing I like a lot about this iteration of the multiplayer is that the new mobility lets you play a lot more conservative with your consumables if you're smart about it. You never get cornered, so you're a lot more free to rotate around the map, picking off smaller stuff until the mini-bosses are all that remains.

Oh man the terror of being stuck in a dead end with two banshees bearing down is kind of the thing I miss from this MP.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
They took out over cover grabs, right? I tried it a couple times last night and just got my rear end out of cover and dead instead

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

ijyt posted:

I got lucky with my first box and got the Angara Avenger, I absolutely love it. It can probably perma-stealth a round with enough packs and remembering where the resupplies are, the upgraded stealth field keeps you stealthed during an entire deactivate, and it's saved so many team members already.

Yeah, he gets my vote for best clutch class at the moment. The range on his strike power is also nuts, and if you take the damage mitigation upgrade he can drive into a pack of enemies, unload his grenades, and cloak away no problem.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

moist turtleneck posted:

Could you run around with your missile out in ME3? The hindered mobility in this one kinda throws me off. Plus I forgot how it was only having 2 of each supply :(

Just LOL if you didn't get a rocket capacity upgrade in your first bonus pack.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Skippy McPants posted:

Yeah, he gets my vote for best clutch class at the moment. The range on his strike power is also nuts, and if you take the damage mitigation upgrade he can drive into a pack of enemies, unload his grenades, and cloak away no problem.

Somebody on the mecoop subreddit already solo'd gold with him. Stealth Grid is pretty bonkers if you have a good route between ammo boxes.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Skippy McPants posted:

Well, I'm stuck in a waiting room for the next hour, so here's some classes that work fine on Silver even with awful gear...

Common:

Human Infiltrator: Best common class in my opinion. Sticky Grenades provides huge burst damage. Run in, empty your grenade stock on a priority target, then cloak out, restock and repeat. Gets even better when you have a real gun to use in between. Just like in ME 3, Infiltrators are gud.
Human Vanguard: Crap damage, but you're very durable once you max out Charge and can spam it to keep your shields stable.
Human Engineer: Likewise low damage, but you have a lot of control. Cryo and Overload both have a short CC effect, and the Assult Turret pulls a fair amount of aggro.

Above Common:

Pretty much anything? There are a handful of lemons, but most of the unlock classes are decent enough. Some them are also flat out busted. I recommend you get lucky and open some of the Ultra-rares asap as all but one of them are stupid good.

Vanguard does fine damage so long as you're either punching or shooting things. For bronze/silver taking all the melee upgrades and a pistol/shotgun melee upgrade means you'll kill mooks in 1or 2 punches while simultaneously recharging your shields! Pretty much everything else outside of giant armored stuff will go down in about 3-5 seconds.

precision posted:

I keep trying to do the Silver strike team mission that has the +100% Shields, -75% Health modifier and pubbies keep being awful at it while my KroGuard stands there never dying lol

Have you managed to actually complete this? I've beat it twice but it didn't give me credit and it still shows up in my APEX list?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Mar 22, 2017

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

ijyt posted:

Oh man the terror of being stuck in a dead end with two banshees bearing down is kind of the thing I miss from this MP.

Oh don't worry, if you play enough pub games (say, two), your team will throw in the sponge hard during an objective round, and though you won't be in the old "cornered" position, you'll be in the newer, upgraded "surrounded" position instead.

Honestly, sometimes this game gives me flashbacks to playing Assault in Space Marine. Where there literally is nowhere you can go that you aren't being shot in the rear end. Shields? What shields?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

You are actually more mobile with the new rocket launcher, because you can just ready it or turn it off right away without having to physically get it out. Just press the button and click as soon as you need it, no need to run around with it readied.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Just LOL if you didn't get a rocket capacity upgrade in your first bonus pack.

Hilarious :confused:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Does origin have a screenshot button?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

precision posted:

Enemy factions are definitely a hidden difficulty level instead of just being "Different". Outlaws are super easy even when not-Atlases show up, Kett start easy but get very hard, and Remnant require different tactics because while you can Charge Observers you can't Nova or Melee them and Observers are The Biggest Assholes

You can Nova Observers if they are low to the ground, near roof levels, or have a bit of lag that makes the Nova connect midair host side when you're already on the ground.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Any IRC or discord for finding games?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'm looking to play some multiplayer with people in between doing singleplayer today. Add me on Origin z0tics

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

moist turtleneck posted:

They took out over cover grabs, right? I tried it a couple times last night and just got my rear end out of cover and dead instead

Tragically yes. The ME3 game AI whined too much about player sync kills.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

^ Geth Trooper was an active and vocal member of the bioware forums back in the day.

Grabs were the sacrificial lamb given up so that we might have better controls.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I started with Human Soldier first, mostly to learn the levels and controls and whatnot. I'm probably going to switch to another class and rarely play the soldier at some point, but I'm curious about the turbocharge skill.

Is turbocharge garbage or am I bad and that's the class defining skill? I would probably leave that at 1 skill point and max everything else. If it's not garbage, I assume frag grenade would be the skill that you don't put points in? Kind of rough to use without the grenades being sticky. Basically I'm having a hard time evaluating skills.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I opened a Black Widow, who wants to shoot things with me? Add Nephzinho.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

katkillad2 posted:

I started with Human Soldier first, mostly to learn the levels and controls and whatnot. I'm probably going to switch to another class and rarely play the soldier at some point, but I'm curious about the turbocharge skill.

Is turbocharge garbage or am I bad and that's the class defining skill? I would probably leave that at 1 skill point and max everything else. If it's not garbage, I assume frag grenade would be the skill that you don't put points in? Kind of rough to use without the grenades being sticky. Basically I'm having a hard time evaluating skills.

Turbocharge instantly reloads your gun when you use it and the accuracy is important because andromeda added very severe accuracy decay on guns. So it's better than it seems.

With the frag grenade you have to learn to cook it. It has a 2 second fuse so you usually want to hold the button for 1.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

Ein Sexmonster posted:

One of the rank 6 lance evos lets you have Lance use shields instead of incurring a cooldown, like old nova.
This can be combined with the shield-restore evolution of annhiilation field for a lot of fun.

Is the shield restore evo better, though? I feel like 'free lift party on every one of those loving stealth dogs that looks at you funny' would be pretty dang strong.

Also, PSA: Remember that you can grab people with lift, walk over to the edge of the map, and dump them off for free kills.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Androc posted:

Is the shield restore evo better, though? I feel like 'free lift party on every one of those loving stealth dogs that looks at you funny' would be pretty dang strong.

Also, PSA: Remember that you can grab people with lift, walk over to the edge of the map, and dump them off for free kills.
Nah. The dogs die quickly anyway as they walk into your death field. The shield restore is insanely powerful since it hits everyone around you, not just you.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Nephzinho posted:

Any IRC or discord for finding games?

Second post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814279

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Digirat posted:

Turbocharge instantly reloads your gun

I actually didn't realize that, I should read the skills more carefully. I think I already screwed the build up by taking reduced recharge for concussion shot instead of power cell capacity 5. Right now I don't have enough mission funds to want to use them towards a respec, just easier to switch to another class.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Human Sentinel isn't bad, she's pretty durable and her mobile cover will save your rear end, you can also spec it so you never lose shields so if you have that sticks together you shouldn't have any issues, energy drain can save you in a pinch.

I've been using her like my krogan, just rushing down everything.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

What is a good build for the Angara Avenger? Just got him and am running it with the Widow, so skills are pretty irrelevant for Bronze.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Salarian Infiltrator is just as great as ever, especially since this game loves to give me a billion Sniper Rifles and almost nothing else.

I like how varied the maps are, some are seriously huge, some have neat little hidden areas, there's a particularly good Dallas Book Depository on Magma that can trivialize non-objective rounds if the rest of the team just hangs out at the top of the ramp, just cleared Silver like 3 times in a row with sub-level 7 characters on all of us.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

What is a good build for the Angara Avenger? Just got him and am running it with the Widow, so skills are pretty irrelevant for Bronze.

Here's the build from the guy who solo'ed gold with one. Personally, I might go for a few more points in the Sticky Grenade at the expense of Stealth Grid. but that's only relevant for a Rank X build. The non-maxed build he posted should do you fine.

Also, drop the Sniper Rifle and equip the best SMG you've got. Your basic attack sequence is to Strike in and use the 5s sun to unload a bunch of bullets and grenades. If you really want to dump, then your biggest alpha strike is Stealth Grid > Avenger Strike > All your Grenades > Empty weapon clip > Stealth Grid out. It's resource intensive, but I can strip more than half the health off of a Hydra mech with the full combo and it will outright kill anything that isn't a mini-boss.

Fake Edit: Oh, and take heed. There's a bug with Stealth Grid that causes it to end early if you're not hosting the game. Booooo!

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

I got the Asari Duelist but I don't know if it's that great. The sword attack seems to do a shitload of damage, but the windup animation takes forever and has overshot on several occasions. Backlash seems kinda worthless to me, the reflected shots don't look like they do much and you have to stand out of cover the whole time the shield is up ( though maybe I'm using it wrong).

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I really miss the old noises for power combos. :smith:

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks to whoever suggested Human Vanguard as a good common class. Tonnes of fun to swoop around with recharging shields.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Here's the build from the guy who solo'ed gold with one. Personally, I might go for a few more points in the Sticky Grenade at the expense of Stealth Grid. but that's only relevant for a Rank X build. The non-maxed build he posted should do you fine.

Also, drop the Sniper Rifle and equip the best SMG you've got. Your basic attack sequence is to Strike in and use the 5s sun to unload a bunch of bullets and grenades. If you really want to dump, then your biggest alpha strike is Stealth Grid > Avenger Strike > All your Grenades > Empty weapon clip > Stealth Grid out. It's resource intensive, but I can strip more than half the health off of a Hydra mech with the full combo and it will outright kill anything that isn't a mini-boss.

Fake Edit: Oh, and take heed. There's a bug with Stealth Grid that causes it to end early if you're not hosting the game. Booooo!

Cool, thanks. And yeah I have a rank 6 Avenger with the Widow. Just throwing all my money at cheap crates to try to thin out the pool.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Skippy McPants posted:

"A large portion of the time is spent in stealth but it doesn't make you immortal. If you stealth in the line of sight of enemies, they can still shoot at you. Walking too close to any enemy will cause them to try to melee you and dogs aren't affected at all. Some enemies such as bosses or Beserkers will still fire their AoE attacks in your general direction."

Well this finally explains why the hell Stealth Grid seems to fail half the time I used it. The ability doesn't say anything about this so like half the time I activated the ability it wasn't giving me the cloaked visual effect and I was confused as hell.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Alteisen posted:

I really miss the old noises for power combos. :smith:

Me too- especially the biotic explosion. :smith::hf::smith:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/844659071915560961
Hammer? Check.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Special Snowflake Costume? Check.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

She's probably the Krogan Gladiator that was datamined- If that holds true she'll have pull, blood rage, and either nova or annihilation field (wasn't clear in the files). Along with the offensive Biotic and rage passives obviously.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Oblivious posted:

"A large portion of the time is spent in stealth but it doesn't make you immortal. If you stealth in the line of sight of enemies, they can still shoot at you. Walking too close to any enemy will cause them to try to melee you and dogs aren't affected at all. Some enemies such as bosses or Beserkers will still fire their AoE attacks in your general direction."

Well this finally explains why the hell Stealth Grid seems to fail half the time I used it. The ability doesn't say anything about this so like half the time I activated the ability it wasn't giving me the cloaked visual effect and I was confused as hell.

No, that's a bug. Normally, enemies can still hit you, but the cloak is up and they'll stop shooting after a second. If you're hosting the match you never lose the stealth effect early, no matter how much fire you're taking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
Is the Mattock available for the multiplayer? Is it any good? It was always my go-to pre Saber.

• Locked thread