Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Welcome to Arklan, Knight-in-Training! The city prides itself as the pearl of the kingdom of Arwintar, and indeed, both the royal family and many of the nobles spend their days in this city. It is, of course, protected by the Knights of the Round Table, the very organization you just got inducted into!

With members such as Crown Prince Alexander Merin Dale Theiere Rune (or Alexander, as he often requests his friends to shorten the name to...),

who is widely regarded the strongest warrior in the entire kingdom, equipped with the fabled artifact armor 'Bulwark', said to literally be unbreakable,

as well as the wise (and sadly, wizened) Sage Marvin Zolim,

often referred to as the most powerful wizard in the kingdom, as well as a kind soul, the Knights of the Round Table represent the strongest fighting force in the kingdom. In truth, the Knights are often named as the real reason the Kingdom has been able to enjoy an era of peace.

And this lofty duty will be yours... in the future. Right now, you're... not quite there yet.

At the very top of the Order, are the Knights. After that, come the Squires, their apprentices. And at the bottom... are you. The Pages. You're being considered for Squire status due to your skill, your pedigree, or other reasons (such as your parents having donated a large sum of money...), but you still need to prove your worth in order to rise in rank.

But, don't worry. I'm sure you'll have a seat on the round table. Eventually...

More Masks!?

Yes, I was feeling left out with everyone and their dog running a masks game but me, so I decided to put up my own Masks game.

You should know what Masks is and how it works by now.

I've never heard about Masks and I don't know how it works! (:v:)

Masks is a PbTA about teenage superheroes. This setting is a bit different from others in that it is pure fantasy, with a more feudalistic style of politics. This means that it is quite intrisically less light-hearted than a lot of other settings. While it's still about heroism, things like classism, banditry, and even death (for NPC's) will be present, even if they're not the main focus. Be aware of that.

In addition to the playbook questions, please answer the following questions:

How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

(optional) Suggest a thread title.

Other Things

Due to the somewhat large change in themes, I am fine with refluffing abilities if necessary. (even something completely different is fine! Just ask first.) Also, while I'm not outright banning them, the Beta Playbooks (other than the Reformed, which is mostly just bad) don't seem like they fit the thematic very well, so I'm a bit wary of picking them. (If you think you have a good idea, app anyway!) On top of that, the kingdom is largely human-centric, so try not to veer too far off from that. Outsiders, in particular - no aliens or abstract concepts, please. Try to make sure the fluff fits the changed narrative - an Outsider could be an elf, for example, a Transformed the victim of a vile curse and so on.

Again, since the setting is so different, feel free to discuss any and all problems you have with your app with me! You can find me in #swampthings on SynIRC, or send me a PM here on SA. I prefer IRC, though, and expect you to be active on it. PM's should only be used as an alternative if I am not currently online.

I’m looking for 4-6 players, and I’ll be closing recruitment around April 2nd.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Lord Vane Drake, The Beacon

Vane spins and thrusts his spear, dancing between targets and dodging swinging beams with seemingly impossible grace, then finally hurls his spear across the training ground into a large target. He inspects the results of the throw for a moment, seemingly unsatisfied, then turns towards you. His eyes brighten. "Ah, you must be the Order's examiner! It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." He indicates a small table with a pair of chairs and quickly wipes away the sweat covering his brow with a nearby towel.

quote:

How did you gain your skills?

Vane gestures at the facility around them, "Training, mostly. It started as a way to win honor and recognition in the hunts that my father, the Duke of Sommerlund, led, but it has since grown into my core drive. When I train, when I fight, everything makes sense in a way that the tedious hours at court cannot possibly hope to match. At first, I felt most free on the hunt, matching my spear against the might of the dire boars that invade our lands. It wasn't until I heard of a brigand group raiding the peasants under our protection that I began to consider the Order."

quote:

When did you first take up your spear?

"It was several months ago. My father and my elder brothers were off at some event. I don't pretend to know what all they get up to when my attendance is not required. One of the hamlets on the outskirts of Sommerlund had sent an emissary to request aid from their liege. A bandit group was raiding farms all along the valley. He was not available. I was." Vane shrugged. "It was, perhaps, not the smartest to take it upon myself to come to their aid. Yet what could I do? Honor and duty both agreed that their request must be honored, but I had not the authority to issue orders to our standing troops."

"After several days traveling, I arrived in the valley. It was not too hard to follow the smoke to find their latest raid in progress. I was forced to treat it as more of a hunt than I would have preferred. My skills with a spear are quite well-refined, but I am quite human. I subdued the scouts first and began to move through the village. One or two were about the most I could fight at a time. The usage of terrain was my ally that day. I couldn't save everyone or everything that day, but the gratitude of those I saved was real. It was far more authentic than anything I had experienced in the nobility."

quote:

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a knight?

"My eldest brother, Aethul, for one. I doubt my second brother, Adwin, much cares for me making any name for myself either. One of us is sworn to join the Church, after all, and if it's not me..." Vane shrugs. "I don't think he'd make it past being a page. It's probably for the best. Adwin was always the most bookish of us. He'll be fine. Aethul, on the other hand, seems to be feeling threatened by my success. It is strange, really, since we all know I stand no chance of inheriting the duchy. I don't much care for the prospect, either. Aethul has certainly been plotting against me already. I'm sure we'll discuss that in short order. Hopefully he will calm himself once I move fully into the Order's barracks."

quote:

Why do you try to be a knight?

A wistful smile crosses Vane's face, "It speaks to me. Saving those in need, protecting the innocent from evil...? I gave it little thought as a child. I doubt I would be here if circumstances had not conspired to show me how rewarding such actions could be. Were this life to have gone differently, I might be little more than another dandy seeking the favor of maidens at balls and other parties. That is why, no matter who or what stands in my way, I will not falter. My body may be no more than that of any common soldier, but my spirit is unbreakable."

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Vane shrugs, "We are a group of like-minded youths. How could I not appreciate them?" He leans forward a bit. "It's quite refreshing, really, being free of all the pomp and circumstance of the nobility. They expect a certain level of decorum in the Order, yes, but it is quite different than the endless arrays of titles and traditions I was forced to learn as a child. I know that I have no future in the nobility. It was the Order or the Church and I have little interest in a monastic life. Those that I come to rely on in the future will surely be these brothers and sisters in arms."

quote:

Vane looks apologetic, "The tale cannot be properly told apart from the one who's admiration I won, so I will ask you to wait for a proper answer until I introduce her."

quote:

Vane tents his fingers on the table, "That would be my aunt, the Margrave of Auturnia. You probably know her better as 'Lightblade' Auturnia. My mother had the good fortune to marry into the Sommerlund line, but, even as the younger sister, my aunt has done most well for herself. She has been appointed a full Knight of the Order and entrusted with the protection and administration of a border region."

"We are not particularly close relatives, I must admit, though we cross paths at the various galas that the royal family has been known to throw. It was at one such gala, in fact, that I won her admiration. I was conversing with some of the other lesser sons of houses about my exploits in the hunt and, more recently, in the hunting of those who had been threatening our peasants. I can only imagine that my elder brother had led her to believe that I was some sort of fop or otherwise was exaggerating my talents to impress my peers." Vane grins. "Little did he imagine that he would provide the perfect opportunity for me to demonstrate my skills. So, as I was regaling my audience with tales, I noticed that they fell deathly silent. Never a good sign. The hand on my should was the second clue."

"She cordially invited me to the courtyard for a contest of skill. I won't bore you with the specific dance of words we went through, but she did set some conditions to make things 'fair.' Or at least appear to be such. In essence, she would fight with one blade and withhold her true skills. It would be my victory if I were to land a strike. Clearly the set up for her to humble me in front of the nobility. Ah, but it was not to be. I have no doubt that if she had taken me any more seriously, I would have not been victorious. Even with a single blade and relying solely on her skill with such, she is incredibly strong. I merely had the advantage of being able to push myself further than she expected. The weaponry we borrowed from the royal guard was also much closer to that which I was accustumed. I don't typically prefer the ranseur, but it is quite similar to a hunting spear. The broadsword she wielded was quite unlike her majestic blade." Vane stops, then rubs the back of his head. "I suppose the details do not matter overmuch. Regardless of any mitigating circumstances, I was able to push her so far that she needed to summon the lightblade to stop my final strike."

"Needless to say, the truth became clear. This, too, was the origin of the name I earned. 'The Ranseur of Sommerlund.' Whatever lies she had heard did not match what she witnessed when we fought. We discussed matters later and I mentioned my interest in joining the Order. With her recommendation, how could my father deny me any longer?"

quote:

[Fantasy Masks!] KNiGHTS Into Dreams

The Beacon posted:

Name: Lord Vane Drake
Nom de Guerre: 'The Ranseur of Sommerlund'
Look: Man, Pretty Face, Stylish Clothing, Stylish Costume

Abilities:
Polearms, Acrobatics

Labels:
Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +3
Superior +0
Mundane +2

Moves:
❑ No powers and not nearly enough training:
You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty.

❑ Pretty much a Knight:
When you bring up your nom de guerre to someone important (your call) for the first time, roll + Savior. On a hit, they’ve heard of you; say which of your exploits they’ve heard about and which Label they think applies. On a 7-9, the GM will tell you something else they’ve heard, and pick a second Label they assign to you. On a miss, they don’t take you seriously or mistrust you moving forward.

Drives:
Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved.

When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city.

❑ lead the team successfully in battle
❑ kiss someone dangerous
❑ punch someone you probably shouldn’t
❑ help a teammate when they most need you
❑ take down a threat all on your own
❑ outperform an knight or squire
❑ pull off a ridiculous stunt
❑ save a teammate’s life
❑ get drunk or high with a teammate
❑ drive a fantastical vehicle
❑ get a new set of armor
❑ get a new nom de guerre
❑ earn the respect of a knight or squire you admire
❑ make out with a teammate
❑ punch out a teammate
❑ break up with someone
❑ stop a fight with calm words
❑ tell someone your true feelings for them
❑ travel to an incredible place (or time)
❑ reject someone who tells you “you shouldn’t be here”

Moment of Truth:
This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice

When our team first came together...
We found signs that this incident was just the start of something bigger. What were the signs?

Relationships
____________________ is awesome, and you take every chance you get to hang out with them.
You’ve got to prove yourself to_____________________ before you feel like a real knight.

Influence
You are so excited to be here. Give Influence over you to three of your teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 24, 2017

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Ghorza Rockbiter, the Outsider

Mok'gar! Warm greetings to you! I am Ghorza Rockbiter, daughter of the great orc chieftain, Ramosh Rockbiter, and I am here on a mission of peace!

quote:

Where do you come from?

I come from the Scorched Wastelands all the way up north. Pfeh! Don't give me that look! It's just a name! The wastelands are nowhere near as bad as you Val'dash- humans, make it out to be. My people have lived in that so-called "unlivable land" for over a hundred years now, and it is where we have carved our homes. The weather might be harsh, yes, but we have learned to endure it, and it has made us into stronger warriors! We have conquered the wasteland, tamed it's beasts, and made it into our land!

You should visit those lands sometime! What was that Val'dash saying? What will kill you, will also make you stronger? Ay, I believe that was it! And there is plenty there that will try to kill you, like the Grokash, giant land sharks, but that should not be a problem for you, yes? If we orcs can survive in those lands, then so can you Val'dash! As long as you make sure you do not get swallowed by a sand worm, you will surely be fine!

quote:

Why did you come to Earth Arwintar?

As I have mentioned before, I am here on a mission of peace. Our people have been in conflict for far too long, and we have lost far too much. If we are to grow, then we must forget about our past differences, and learn to work together as one! My people needed someone to represent them, to show the world that orcs and the Val'dash CAN work together, and what better representative than the daughter of an orc chieftain?

I am not naive. I know how difficult my mission is, and I am more than aware of all the bad blood between our people, and of all the discrimination that I will face, but that will not stop me from trying! I believe, with all my heart, that we can find peace, and there will no longer be any needless bloodshed between our people. That is why I have volunteered myself for this mission!

And between you and me? I've always wanted to visit your kingdoms, but I've never had the opportunity to do so until now. I've always heard stories about how incredible your cities are, and so far, it has surpassed even my wildest expectations! You have buildings made of stone that are taller and wider than any that I have ever seen! You have markets that are crowded, yes, but are bustling with so much life and energy! And the food! So many different kinds of wonderful food, and drinks! Your kingdom is truly a magnificent place, filled with all sorts of wonders!

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

If I am to defeat now, then I will have failed my people. They are depending on me, and I do not intend to let them down. It is a long, and hard road, yes, but we orcs are known for our stubbornness! We do not give up, no matter how dire the situation is, and we will continue fighting, till the bitter end! You can beat us, bruise us, bloody us, take our arms and our legs away, and we will STILL not give up! I have sworn to my people, and my father, that I will not come back, not until I have bought our people together, no matter how long it takes!

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

There are those in my clan who believe that my mission is nothing more than a fool's errand. They think that nothing good can ever come out of this, and they have been very vocal about it. One of those people... is my mother.

My mother, Durga Rockbiter, see's the Val'dash as deceitful cowards, and that this is nothing but an elaborate trick to lower our guard, so that they might strike at us when we least expect it. She truly believes that we never live together with the Val'dash, and that they will only betray us in the end, like how they "betray each other for their own selfish gains," or so she claims. Before I left, I... have gotten into many arguments with my mother. She would say that the Val'dash are not to be trusted, and that I am a fool for believing otherwise, and I would argue back, and say the only "fool" around here are those who let their prejudice cloud their judgement!

When I left, my mother and I were barely speaking to each other anymore. While I am sad that we have departed on such... bad terms, I will not let that get in the way of my duty.

quote:

In my clan, those who fight with you are considered to be your Throm-ka; your blood brothers and sisters. When two warriors come together for a common goal, they form an almost unbreakable bound with each other, and they are able to accomplish more together than they would if they were alone. These people I am with, they are more than just friends, they are my new family, and I value every single one of them. I can always count on any of them to have my back, as I have theirs.

quote:

Part of the agreement we have made with the Val'dash is that they would let me join your order. There was some disagreement at first over the idea of having an orc be a part of the order, but thanks to one of your knights (Who I will get to in a second), they allowed me in. If I were to show everybody how well orcs and Val'dash can work together, than what better place than the order! But as I said, this would not have been possible if it wasn't for the help of...

quote:

...Lady Hildegard!

The lady is the reason why I am here in the first place. She is one of the few Val'dash who has earned the respect of my clan for being an incredible warrior, and she is also close friends with my father (Which my mother is not very happy about). She has worked together with our clan many times, and has even defended us against other Val'dash! Lady Hildegard, like me, believes that both our people can benefit greatly if we can come together as one, and she sacrificed a lot in order to finally give us this opportunity for a diplomatic relationship with the Val'dash.

When I told the lady that I would be the clan's representative, and how much I wanted to join the order, she was hesitant at first. "Are you sure?" She asked, "This will be a difficult path for you to follow. There will be many people who will be against you, and even want to hurt you. There will be those who reject your help, and those who will refuse to help you. They will yell at you, and call you names. They will insult you, and berate you. Knowing that, are you still sure you want to do this?" With almost no hesitation, I nodded, and said yes, I'm still sure. I'm very aware of the risks, but if it's to bring our people together, than I will endure everything the Val'dash will throw at me. When she heard my response, she smiled, and said, "You have the soul of a knight within you, little one. I can see you becoming a great hero, one day."

There are a lot of people who are counting on me, and I do not intend to let any of them down! I will work hard, harder than I ever have before, and make that peace a reality!

The Outsider posted:

Name: Ghorza Rockbiter
Mask: Outsider
Looks: woman, all-orc, animalistic eyes, no human clothing, your people's uniform

Abilities
You can fly are incredibly athletic, and you're pretty tough. Choose any two of the following:
❑❑ alien orc weaponry
❑❑ stunning beauty or pheromones imposing presence

Labels
Freak: +2
Danger: -1
Savior: +0
Superior: +2
Mundane: +0

Moves
❑❑ Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology orc artifact that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

❑❑ The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of humanity, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

❑❑ Kirby-craft Daisy, Ghorza's loyal wyvern: You have a vehicle, something from your home. Detail its look, and choose two strengths and two weaknesses. When you are flying your wyvern, you can use it to unleash your powers, directly engage a threat, or defend someone using Superior.
Strengths: Fast & maneuverable, powerful weaponry
Weaknesses: Susceptible to ice magic, easily detectable,

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth Arwintar by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Tardzilla fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Mar 26, 2017

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

"If clothes make the man, does equipment make the hero?"

Technically, my official title is 'The Sentinel of the Southern Realms', but that's quite the mouthful for casual conversation, don't you think? I prefer to shorten it to just Sentinel outside of the most formal of occasions. Calling me Pryce is also fine, of course. After all, right now I'm but a humble Page alongside the rest of my fellows. Never been much the type to throw my title around anyhow.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

Very recently, as a matter of fact. I’ve been holding the title of Sentinel for around a month, give or take a few days. Sorry for such a rough estimate. It’s all been a bit hectic as of late, honestly speaking. First, my father suddenly sends me off to begin my knighthood with the Round Table. Then, I get a letter telling me that he’s been heavily injured in battle with some blackguard, and that he’s been deemed unfit for further combat. Finally, I get delivered the family arm and armor, freshly cleaned and pristine for my use. It was an… interesting week. I’m still somewhat in shock, to be frank. I knew I’d have to follow in my father’s footsteps eventually. I just didn’t expect it to be so soon, let alone having to handle both the title and my duties as a Page at once.

Ah, but don’t think I’m complaining. It’s an honor being named Sentinel, plus the family regalia lends me an appreciated edge in combat. I just… it’s overwhelming, is all. Wish I had more time to mentally prepare myself. Alas, life is rarely so convenient, so nothing to do but suck it up and keep going. Now that I have to impress both my father and the other Knights of the Round Table, I can’t afford to waste time moping about things outside my control.

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

That would depend on your interpretation of ‘greatest.’ My grandfather, for example, once aided in brokering a deal over the course of many months that led to a surge of prosperity in the south, and its effects are still felt even today. My father, on the other hand, drove out on his lonesome an entire… pack? of werewolves that were stalking a central city of Arwintar not so long ago. A glorious and gruesome battle, or so I have been told, from back when father was… still fit to fight. Personally, however, I have always been fond of one of the first tales of our legacy.That is to say, the tale of Philia Nysia and the Demon of Cromvalion.

For the sake of time, I shall abridge the story best as I am able. Around two centuries past, the village of Cromvalion was being terrorized by a cruel and malicious demon, who preyed upon body, mind, and souls of the villagers. Every day, one of the villagers was branded with the demon’s mark, and every night the same villager was taken. No barring of doors, no warding from evil, no attempt made was ever successful in dissuading the scoundrel from his task. Poor and out of little consequence to the realm, the village was unable to afford assistance through either coin or prestige, and seemed doomed to waste away. And so, the villagers prayed. They prayed for anyone, anything, to save them from their torment. And as if in answer, Philia Nysia came into town.

For reference, this tale comes before we earned our reputation as Sentinel, so when my ancestor suddenly arrived and claimed she was able to best this demon of theirs, the villagers were… skeptical at best. Even in their despair, the sight of this unassuming woman in travellers’ clothes did not entirely inspire confidence, and I imagine more than a few wondered if this was not another one of the demon’s tricks. But Philia Nysia was determined, and her resolve and sincerity broke through that day’s chosen mark: Victor Halder. Trusting in her words, Victor Halder bided his time until nightfall, and waited for the demon’s arrival. And when the villain finally showed himself, Philia Nysia, now adorned in the arm and armor I myself wear today, laid in ambush. And, well, you can imagine the rest. A solid thrashing was the demon given, and he was very forcibly banished from the village. Ah, and as you may have gathered from my own name, Philia and Victor eventually grew quite close after the events of that fateful day. Turns out being saved from seemingly certain death has a powerful effect on the heart.

And so, that is that. It is a simple tale, and it may not be the grandest deed that our lineage has ever done, but… it has a certain charm to it, in my opinion. A clear good against a clear evil, with a rather happy ending to top it all off. It’s rather sweet that’s how the two of them met, don’t you think? Er, ignoring all the other souls the demon took before Philia’s arrival, that is. Not to say we should forget about them, of course, just- ah, nevermind. You understand.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

Heh. Sorry, don’t think I was laughing at you. That’s just a bit of a funny question for me, and one that I’ve given a lot of thought about. For the most part, the Sentinel of the Southern Realms is a title that carries with it a positive reputation, particularly in… well, the southern reaches of the kingdom, as you’d expect. Don’t want to sound as if I’m bragging, but we get shown a great deal of respect and gratitude back home. Honestly, it’s somewhat embarrassing. I haven’t even done anything yet to earn such praise, and it’s given to me anyways. Still, it definitely leaves me with a warm feeling. Helps remind me of what I’m training for.

Not everyone’s so accepting, however, and our family has its fair share of dissenters. People who claim that the Halders only rose to prominence through sheer luck, the fortune of our ancestors happening across the enchanted equipment that I wear today. That without it, we would be nobodies, no different than your typical commoner that walks the street. And I… do not entirely disagree with these people, at least internally. Publicly, my father ignores such skeptics, and have told me to do much the same. But, are they wrong? Was it not through my family’s arm and armor that my father, and now I, was able to serve as the Sentinel of the Southern Realms? There is no shame in that, at least as I see it. Our lineage was blessed with fortune, certainly. But how easy it would have been to use that fortune to spread misfortune to others, to take rather than give back to the world. If my equipment grants me the strength to succeed, then it is my beliefs that grant me the will. There is more to being a knight, a hero, than simple power.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a knight?

Reasons, huh…? It’s what was expected of me, I suppose. Not to say I didn’t want to become a knight of my own volition. Far from it, in fact. I’ve always respected the Round Table for what they do, and even if I wasn’t the Sentinel, I’d still have tried to become a member of their order. Maybe I wouldn’t have been as successful without all the fancy gear, but I still would have tried. Giving back to the world is important, or at least so I was raised. And, if we’re being completely truthful here, I’m not the brightest guy around. All I really know how to do is fight, and even then there’s plenty of other knights who are more skilled than I am. It’s kind of sad when I put it that way, but I’m not all that ashamed of it. Lots of folk out there can’t even say they match my level, after all. Least I can do is stand up for those who can’t stand for themselves, considering the life of luxury I’ve been born into.

quote:

Why would I not? No one exists truly alone in this world, and we all rely on each other to survive, one way or another. Besides, if just one of us alone can accomplish great deeds, imagine what the many can do together. A force of good to be reckoned with, to put an end to those who would take advantage of the weak and needy.

...And, er, personally speaking, I’ve never had a whole lot of friends my age. There was my younger sister, of course, who I love dearly. But as the Sentinel, or I suppose I should say the Sentinel’s son back then, there was always a sort of distance I couldn’t figure out how to close between myself and the others. Yet now that we’re all equals as Pages, it feels easier to connect with my fellow team members. ...At least, that’s what I believe. Hopefully, the others feel the same.

quote:

Mmph. I hate to say it, but my position as the Sentinel’s son played no small role in my acceptance. They have not said as much, of course, but I will not pretend otherwise. Why else would I, who am far from the best of the candidates this year had to offer, be accepted? I even underperformed on a number of the tests, though I admit I judge only by gut instinct. It’s... a sore point for me, so I would appreciate it if we could move on. Regardless of how it was done, I’ve been made a Page, so all that I can do now is live up to the role I’ve been told to play.

quote:

Ah, that would be Senior Knight Tyrellius Halder. Er, and to clarify, Senior Knight is his title, not a statement about grandfather’s age. Though he is undoubtedly getting up there in years, a point that several have made while politely and sometimes not so politely advising Sir Tyrellius to retire from the Round Table. He refuses every time, however, and I respect him immensely for that. Dedicated to the cause, he intends to give quite literally every minute of his remaining life to serving the realm. It is admirable of him, although I must admit that it worries me. He is an incredibly skilled fighter, certainly, but having long passed down the family armor… the thought of him in combat is concerning, to say the least.

Though I obviously have known grandfather for some time, we never had the opportunity to become well acquainted until quite recently. He was often busy with Knight’s work, and I with preparing to take up the mantle of Sentinel. But around a year ago, grandfather and I both happened to attend a formal dinner of some noble I can’t recall off the top of my head. It was, in all honesty, a rather dull occasion, and so grandfather sought me out directly during the dinner and asked if I would spare the time to chat with an old man such as himself. I obliged, obviously, out of respect and, well, out of wanting to do something more interesting. And so, we spoke. Of the kingdom, of his years as a Knight, of what I intended to do once I took up the title of Sentinel. It was… relaxing, I suppose I would put it. Grandfather has that sort of aura, the one that calms and leaves you feeling all will be right in the world. A kindly presence for a kind man. Truthfully, I was so engaged with listening to his tales and history, it makes it hard to remember what I actually said of myself. But whatever it was, it seems grandfather took me for a kindred spirit from it, and has taken a shining to me after that conversation of ours.

quote:

Details about your Legacy members?

Well, I believe I have said enough on my grandfather, but in summary he’s an honest and kind man, and one of the Senior Knights of the Round Table. I respect him, and view him as one of my role models. There are more than a few who seek him to retire from his service, something that my grandfather absolutely refuses to do.

My father, on the other hand, has very much unwillingly finished his own duties as both a Knight of the Round Table and as Sentinel after receiving his injuries from… whatever foe he received them from. He has been reluctant to say whom, for some reason. It has definitely left me curious, but father has always been one to keep secrets. That tendency of his, as well as his rather… rough demeanor at times, has earned him an unfavorable reputation among some of his fellows. It doesn’t help that his predecessor, grandfather that is, is much more open about things. Ah, not to say I buy into all of the rumors and hearsay. Such talk is nonsense. Certainly, father can be prickly at times, but he has the realm’s best interests at heart in the end.

Ah, but as for my sister. What can I say for Caroline? She is without question a very intelligent young lady, yet does not lack for martial prowess. In terms of pure skill, she is likely my superior, in fact. Ever honest and open-hearted, I suppose she takes after me in a number of ways. Or perhaps it would be more accurate to say we both take after our mother. Though I must admit, she can be rather naive at times. Coming from myself, (And yes, I am aware that I am not the most… wary of individuals,) you can imagine what that means. Nevertheless, the two of use are quite close, and I am ever grateful for that. Not all families can say the same, after all.

Hm? The greatest opponent our legacy has faced, you ask? Well, I cannot say we have any such foes, I am afraid. At least not one that comes to mind. Though the Halders may have forgotten about the Demon of Cromvalion, he has not forgotten them. Banished by Philia Nysia through a liberal use of force, he was never slain, only driven away from the village. Infuriated and desperate for vengeance, the Demon has bided his time, amassing more and more power through the accumulation of souls, all the while waiting and watching for an opportunity to bring the Sentinels of the Southern Realms to ruin for what their ancestor did.

quote:

The Legacy posted:

Legacy Name: The Sentinel of the Southern Realms
Playbook: Legacy
Looks: Man, White, trendy clothing, predecessor's costume, no insignia

Abilities:
Divine armor, magic weaponry, mythic might, legendary speed, god-like beauty

Labels
Danger: -1
Freak: 0
Savior: +2
Superior: 0
Mundane: +2

Moves
Fight the good fight: When you pull your punches while directly engaging a threat, you can roll + Savior instead of + Danger. If you do, you cannot choose to impress, surprise, or frighten your foe.

Never give up, never surrender: When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move insteadof the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition.
- you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
- you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
- you keep your attacker’s attention

On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Words of the Past: When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Legacy
Your legacy is an important part of Halcyon City the kingdom of Arwintar. Name the different members of your legacy (at least two):
Tyrellius Halder (Grandfather) is still active and prominent in the kingdom.
Magnus Halder (Father) is retired and quite judgmental.
Caroline Halder (Younger Sister) is the next possible member of your legacy.
The Demon of Cromvalion (Banished, but not slain, and oh so vengeful) is the greatest opponent your legacy ever faced...and is still at large.
Whenever time passes, roll + Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest—expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships

You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence

You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 5, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Posting a Bull

- - -

quote:

Who changed you?

Okay, no 'hi, how are you? that's a lovely dress you're wearing' just straight in with the questions. Right.

Well, would you believe me if I said I was blessed by the gods? Chosen by destiny? I'm part of an ancient bloodline? A wizard did it? No...?

*Are you going to tell the truth, Lilly?*

Shut up! Er, not you! I mean, not that you were saying anything to begin with. I mean, that would be crazy! Telling you to shut up when you're not speaking Ha, hahaha... Oh gods drat it.

Look, I, um... it all started with the bandits. We'd been forced to pay protection to them. It went on for years. Anyone who stood against them... well, it ended badly for them. But the cost kept going up higher and higher. Anyone who couldn't pay, they made an example out of. No hero came to save the day, no one cared. We were one tiny village out in the middle of nowhere. We'd been scarping by, but then pa fell ill. He couldn't keep working. If he couldn't work, then we couldn't pay. We sold off whatever we could. But after they took their latest 'tax' we didn't have anything left. We were next, and no one was going to help us.

Desperate times, right?

See, there was this old temple nearby. A two day hike through the woods. No one went there. They say a red monster lived in the ruins, who'd kill anyone who dared to disturb the shrine. But they also said that there was a sword there. I though, if I could get that sword, I could fight off the bandits! I could protect my family! So I grabbed what little food we could spare, and I marched off into those woods. I didn't tell my family what I was doing. I thought they'd stop me. Honestly, I wanted them too. It was the furthest I'd ever been from the village. But I kept going. I mean, I had no idea WHERE I was going. But somehow I stumbled onto the temple.

There it was. The sword. I walked up and grabbed it.

Yeah... that was dumb.

quote:

How did you escape from them?

I didn't understand what was happening at first. I felt... so aware, but so detached. Like I was watching everything through crystal clear water. There was this voice. In my head. Everywhere around me.

*"Kill"*

I drowned in it, it was power unlike anything I'd ever felt. It was terrifying. I thought I'd died.

*I said I was sorry*

I woke up maybe a week later. With that old man standing over me. He seemed pleased to see me awake. I could hear another voice, but I couldn't see who was talking. They told me I'd passed the test. I'd proven myself worthy. Worthy of the sword. It was alive, a living cursed blade. Whoever it chose was the only one who could wield it, until it chose another. The old monk was the last barer. Now it was me. But I was just a dumb farm girl, so I still had no idea what was going on.

Then the sword spoke to me again.

The sword talks.

*I have a name you know.*

THE SWORD TALKS

Sorry, sorry, that just... still freaks me out. Where was I? Oh, oh yeah. So, I get the full run down. Swords alive. There's some kind of magic lost to time keeping a soul in there. No one knows where it came from, it just fell from the sky one day. Whoever wields the blade becomes the red knight. Yeah, that monster. It's the sword. Now I'm chosen, it'll never leave me. I could drop this thing in a river, and walk away and it would follow me. I could throw it out of that window and it would come back to me. I can reach out my hand and it'll jump to it. When it's time to crack skulls, it fills me with this strength, and speed, and I can't even believe it's me doing the fighting...! Pretty terrifying, right?

I loving love it!

I marched back home. I stopped the bandits. Beat them senseless. I basked in my victory! I'd done it! I'd saved the day. I could go back to being a farmer! But I... I didn't want to. I- you can't give up on something like this. It fills you. So I took some of the gold for myself. Made my way out of there. Looking for adventure, thrills, excitement! The Sword-

*Ahem.*

Er, sorry. The Pater gladii destricti. (I call him, Pater) keeps talking about how he's not the only weapon like him, and that there are others and they're all destined to fight... something. But most of it doesn't make much sense to me. Partly because he keeps talking in another language, and I don't understand a word he's saying. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

quote:

Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

That would be Knight Selza de Valorous - The Princess of Alvastaza!

The banished daughter of a far off land, she stole the royal shield and fled with 100 soldiers. They abandoned her one by one, until only she remained. Martching across the wilderness. She grew cold, hard, tough. By the time she made it to the next country, she'd blitzed her way through two different raider tribes. By the time she crossed the ocean, she'd taken on an army of giants and made them flee. Giants. Flee. Have you ever heard of such a thing? By the time she arrived here, the round table showed out in force to greet her. They said she looked at their whole assembled might, and told them to get her a beer.

She is totally my hero!

Her shield has got some kinda magic going on with it. Nothing's ever shifted her. They say it's an Old-World Relic. But it looks like a battered old brass shield to me. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if she was just too tough to move. Despite everything, she's actually really proper when she puts the shield down. Like she never really stopped being a princess. Honestly, I'm kinda glad of it. I'd be totally lost in how to handle city life. But she knows what to wear, how to speak, how to act. Plus, if you get on her bad side, she'll choke slam you hard enough to black out. Don't mess with the Princess of Alvastaza.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm honestly not to keen on being known as a murder demon roaming the world lead by a talking sword to slaughter all before me... I've been brought up on the stories of heroes, adventurers, knights and princesses and castles! I wanted nothing more then to be in one of those stories! Now I am! I'm a mighty knight! Defender of the people! It's amazing! It's everything I've ever dreamed about.

Well, here's the catch. The sword is cursed. When it's drawn, it can't be put away until it tastes blood. Doesn't matter who's, or how much of it. Honestly, I don't want to kill anyone, so I'm trying to use my blood. But that really really really hurts. So I just try not to draw it in the first place. Someone else seemed to have had the same idea. They've put a lock on the scabbard. So I can batter people around the head with it. But that limits the raw power this thing's capable of!

So I've got to be careful when I'm fighting. I've got to try and reign myself in. I'm not a murderer!

quote:

Well... I mean... Uh, they're good people. They forgive the fact I'm just a present girl. In a place like this, where I'm surrounded by royalty and Knights, and scholars. It's intimidating! I'm just some farmy with a talking bloody sword. They treat me as an equal. ME! And that means a lot.

quote:

..................Can, Can I not talk about it?

*You're going to need to talk about it.*

I really don't want to talk about it

*LILLY*

ALRIGHT! FINE!

I might have punched Knight Sub-Commander Hylian Gallant.

quote:

Actually quite a lot of them. Reallyyyy quickly...

Okay, okay, start at the beginning.

I rolled into town, looking to right wrongs, and punch some bad guys. I'd always been told cities were hives of scum and villainy. So I was expecting to walk down the street and get mobbed. I wasn't ready for how quiet it was. Okay, I'd heard about some fighting, but I was always too late to join in! Ugh, so annoying! So I decided that I could totally pretend to be a weak little girl, walk into a bad part of town and wait for the bad guys to try and rob me. It was foolproof.

Well, I wandered in. And oh god yeah I got all the attention I wanted. Pity I'd actually walked right into the base of one of the biggest crime groups in the city. So I'm punching men, I'm punching women, I'm doing a great job! Then some guy in armour grabbed me. Telling me to stand down. So I... hit... him.

Yeah... him.

He didn't like that. I mean, after they pinned me down and made clear who they were, I full on apologised for not recognising the knights, and explained that I was only trying to do good and fight evil. They made me clean the whole place up, and then put me in the training program. With strict instructions to NEVER do that again. I also have to buff the Knight Commander's armour. Every night for a year.

quote:

Fantasy-Masks: It's going to be one of those Knights

quote:

Name: Lilly Vale
Hero Name: The Red Errant
Playbook: The Bull
Looks: Female, Indigenous, casual clothing, memorable costume,

Abilities:

Someone or something changed you, made you into a perfect weapon: superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. Decide how each of those abilities manifests.

It's the sword. When I wield it, the soul within fills me. Changes me. It's him fighting, the thing in the sword, I mean. I'm just the vessel through which he...we...? "I" deliver beat downs to bad guys. But gods, it feels amazing. It covers me in this striking red armour too!

Labels

Freak: +1
Danger: +2
Savior: -1
Superior: +1
Mundane: +0

Moves

You’ve got a head you don’t need:
When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of + Superior.

In a china shop:
When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

The Bull’s Heart
You always have exactly one love and one rival. You can change your love or rival at any time; give the new subject of your affections or disdain Influence over you. Take +1 ongoing to any action that impresses your love or frustrates your rival.

Love: Sentinel
Rival: Vane

Choose a role you commonly fulfill for your love or rival:
❑❑ Defender: When you leap to defend your love or rival in battle, roll + Danger instead of + Savior to defend them.

Other Moves

Unstoppable:
When you smash your way through scenery to get to or away from something, roll + Danger. On a hit, the world breaks before you, and you get what you want. On a 7-9, choose one: mark a condition, leave something behind, or take something with you. On a miss, you smash through, but leave devastation in your wake or wind up somewhere worse, GM’s choice.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and mark potential.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool

Moment of Truth

This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you? Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who changed you know exactly where to find you...

Relationships

_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.

Influence

You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Arashiofordo3 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 5, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Nova goes here.

Desert Orchid

Ah, uhh greetings my lord. Assuming it is correct for me to refer to you as such. You'll have to forgive my impertinence if it is not. I'm doing my best to learn proper etiquette befitting my new role but between my magic studies and my combat training I'm still more fuzzy in the feudal duties of my role than I'd like. I was not born into the aristocracy after all not like most of my peers and the things they take for granted are exceptionally difficult for me to master. Still If I can assist you in some way? Answer questions about myself? Well if you insist I will do my poor best to enlighten you.

quote:

When did you first use your powers?

Ah, well this is a long tale so you may wish to pull up a chair. See I am born of commoners, My mother was a modest girl of modest family and my father was nothing more than a very ambitious and moderately successful cloth merchant who travelled much and traded from one end of the land to the other. Like my sisters I received the standard education befitting my status, I can read and write and manage household accounts I'm a modestly talented poet and alas my singing voice has been described as akin to the braying of donkeys and my instrumental talents are not much better,In short I was being prepared to be a merchants wife whether I wanted to be or not.. My father was... difficult I feel that he resented that mother could provide him with only daughters and not the sons he longed for to continue his line. We were comfortable but never particularly loved, instead he used my elder sisters as glue to cement this or that lucrative trading opportunity with various business partners. I suppose I would have experienced the same fate had not my gift manifested.

See it was not long after my first moon blood that my powers began to manifest. I'm not sure how familiar you are with wild magical talents such as mine but while most gifted students are identified as potential students at a young age some few slip past undetected. Particularly those not from one of the magical bloodlines like myself. I remember waking up the first time and seeing my quill and book of prayers floating in mid air. I was stupefied when they crashed to my desk. I thought I was still dreaming. Then I started hearing flashes of things, things people hadn't said things like Chandra the undercook was hoping her beau would finally have enough saved to propose marriage to her. I didn't even know she was in a relationship till then! At first it was so confusing hearing voices when no one spoke, objects moving without anyone touching them. I managed to conceal them at first. But then there was the dinner party. After that I couldn't deny what I was. I couldn't hide what I was.

quote:

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

My father. Although how accidental it was even I couldn't say. See my father had just returned from an unusually successful trading voyage and to celebrate he threw a grand feast inviting all his cronies and friends and rivals to gawp at his success. And of course I had to be there as well, It seemed to go well at first although my father drank more than his fair share of wine. I was serving at the table as was customary when it happened, An innocent accident I swear, I dropped a bottle of wine. It made quite a mess let me tell you My father just snapped and started to berate me as a clumsy oaf and then in his drunkenness it all started to come out we were all useless his good for nothing daughters, his shrew of a wife who could not give him sons and the leeches and parasites who would feed on his largess. Unfortunately for him it seems I inherited his temper and not mothers, I wanted to scream at him to call him a drunken fool but all that rage, all that anger seemed to be sucked inwards and then like an irrigation ditch overflowing it's channel it all came flooding out. It was the cutlery first I think, then cups, and the plates and the bottles all floating in a vortex above my head. With a wordless scream I hurled them all at him instinctively. And it felt good. My own flesh and blood, the father who raised me, educated me, I wanted to hurt him and I did. And that's when I saw in his head what else he had concealed. The smuggled goods wrapped in bales of linen, the bastard sons sired on distant trading expeditions. Every crime and lie he'd ever told me. I wanted to kill him. If someone hadn't tackled me to the ground I might have done so. That seemed to end the storm of blows upon him. I think the guests would have lynched me on the spot as a witch had not the Governors guards arrived when they did. They took me into custody and well that is another story I suppose.

quote:

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?

Luckily for me the Governor was an educated man and he recognised the signs of a wild talent when he saw one. As such although I was imprisoned it was a relatively genteel sort of imprisonment. I'm not sure they could stop me from escaping if I had wanted to. But I didn't want too though. I needed to control this, I couldn't risk hurting someone like that again by accident. Luckier still there was a visiting Magus not far from my home whom the Governor summoned.

Magus Joram himself. I think the whole realm knows of his constant vigil on the northern Tundras against the barbarians of those lands. What he was doing in my part of the world I have no idea. He was brought into see me and I could feel the power around him. He was dangerous and yet, he was the first person to look at me without fear without worry I was going to kill them. He cast a quick spell with gestures too complicatedto follow and raised one eyebrow in surprise. He explained to me that my power was unstable and needed to be bound and quickly. If you have questions about the ritual you'd best address them to the Magus, guild secrets that are not mine to share I'm afraid. But it was successful more or less, there was some cosmetic damage to my eyes exposure to too much magic at once flowing through me apparently. He also reccommended an art he learnt from his barbarian adversaries, Magical tatoo's that help the user control and channel their emotions as it seems my powers wax and wane based on my emotional state. He's also been teaching me and guiding me in my use of power helping me to shape spells out of the raw magic I possess. Without him I fear my power might have overwhelmed me. I owe him my life and my future.

quote:

Why do you continue to use your powers?

Because without them I am nothing. I am the lowly daughter of a minor merchant house destined to marry some pot bellied merchant with rotting teeth and a foul temper. With them I am one of the most respected people in the land and can stand beside some of the most powerful people in the world as equals. It is intoxicating.

quote:

I thought they'd all be snobby, look down upon me because of my lowly origins because I couldn't trace my lineage back 5 generations because I used the wrong fork, because my magic can be wild and erratic based on my moods. But they're not like that all. I mean they are an odd group for would be knights but they treat me as an equal even perhaps as a friend. I must endeavour to do the same to them to repay their faith in me.

quote:

Well there are tests of arcane skill and talent. I umm was not very good at them. My powers don't do subtlety well. Like you know the test where they show you a chest protected by half a dozen spells that you're supposed to carefully unpick in order to open it and reveal the item inside? Well I decided that the easier way was just to pick it up with my powers and smash it off the ceiling and floor a few times. I think I broke the chest in half by the time I was done. But I did have the item in my hand right that counts as a pass in my book even if the stuffy Magus in charge thought it was cheating. Magus Joram was impressed though and said that lateral thinking like that would take me far.

quote:

Well you might say that Squire Heinrich Welf has taken a liking to me but that would be about a thousand percent understatement He's some sort of cousin or nephew or something of the Duke of Highwater and he's actually quite a skilled swordsman. Which is all well and good I suppose but he's infatuated with me. "I'm a thing of beauty, a maiden most fair." apparently. Who actually talks like that? It's like something out of a story book! I mean don't get me wrong it's flattering but he lays it on way too thick. Do you know he's started sending me bad poetry? and I'm sure it was him that was singing outside of my window this morning. I've got to find some way to discourage him without upsetting his powerful family.

quote:

Fantasy Masks: It's been a hard days Knight.

quote:

Name: Alia Samara
Hero Name: Desert Orchid
Playbook: The Nova
Looks: Woman, Tattooed Skin, solid Blue eyes, fashionable clothing, Fantastic Costume,

Abilities: Telekinesis and Telepathy. The Art Invisible has many paths but I am the most gifted apprentice of my generation with the magics of mind and movement.

Labels

Danger: +1
Freak: +3
Savior: 0
Mundane: -1

Moves

Burn

When you charge up your powers, roll +Team. On a hit, hold 3
burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition or spend a team to hold 3 Burn . On a miss, hold 2 burn and either spend 3 team or mark two conditions.
Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Flares

Move:

Spend 1 burn to move to any place you
choose within the scene, breaking through or
slipping past any barriers or restraints in your
way. Spend a second Burn to move to any place
you’ve previously been.

Boost:

Spend 1 burn to supercharge a
teammate’s efforts with your powers, giving them
a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team
from the pool

Reality storm:

You channel a destructive
burst with your powers. Spend 1 burn to directly
engage a threat using your powers, rolling +
Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will
cause unwanted collateral damage unless you
spend another Burn.

Snatch:

Spend 1 burn to use your powers to
seize any one object up to the size of a person
from someone within view.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their
eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes,
immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if
it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition

We destroyed our surroundings in the fight. Where was it? What did we destroy?

Relationships

You hang out all the time with __________________ to blow off steam.
You once hurt ________________ when you lost control of your powers.

Influence

Choose your demeanor: happy facade or locked down.

If you choose locked down, give Influence to one teammate

*Burn rules as houseruled by yamifenrir

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 26, 2017

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A Protege ought to appear here by the time the weekend is out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

How did you gain your skills?
When did you first put on your costume?
Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

quote:

The Beacon

Look: Female, White, Simple Clothing, Iconic Costume
Abilities: The Grimore Arcanum, Broom riding

Freak -1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +3

Moves:

Won’t let you down: When you help a teammate, you can spend 2 out of the Team pool to add +2 to their roll.

C’mon, Lucky: You have a pet of some kind, a smaller companion that helps you out. Detail it. Choose three basic moves and tell the GM how it helps you with those moves. Whenever your pet could help you, take +1 to that move. If your pet ever gets hurt, treat it as taking a powerful blow.

Barnum is Roll's crow familiar and can act as her remote eyes and ears. With him, she can assess a situation, defend someone, or provoke someone.

Moment of Truth:

This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

Team Moves:

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Mar 23, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Transformed in progress!

EDIT: And done:

(image source)

Lady Fury, the Transformed

quote:

Who were you before?

The same person I am now! It's only... a situation. An occurrence. An inconvenience. A problem. A... ah, just a moment.

... Ah. I apologize for my lapse of decorum. My name is Caecilia Lindenhall, and before my sixteenth birthday, I was being groomed to take my place at Court. My father is Joseph Lindenhall, Baron of Stormhold: not such a mighty barony in and of itself, but there are a half-dozen more Barons and Baronesses among my father's siblings and cousins, and at least one Duke besides. We're a large family, and we have a knack for making good marriages. I was supposed to go to Court, find a suitable husband of the appropriate position in the world, and build my own household. I was quite looking forward to it, in fact.

I've never had very good luck with things I hope for. I really ought to have known something would happen.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

As I prepared myself for the celebration on my sixteenth birthday, I noticed the first signs: scaly skin on my legs, feathers on my arms, a certain pointedness of my ears. I didn't think much of it -- I had a lovely party, thank goodness -- but over the next few weeks, things began to move quickly. My parents banished me to my bedchamber after two weeks and began to send for healers and curse-breakers. Every one of them was useless, but one of the better ones finally told my parents the truth: that it had been too late when I'd first seen the signs, and that a monster's blood-curse couldn't be stopped by any force my parents could afford.

It was then, in the pronouncement of the word "blood-curse," that my father broke down. It was his fault, he said; when he'd been making his fortune as a knight-errant, before he inherited the barony and married my mother, he'd fought and slain a harpy band that had preyed on trade caravans in the Sunspine Mountains. The eldest of the band had cursed him with her last breaths: "my daughter will be reborn in your blood," my father said. He said he never took it seriously. Beasts like that didn't really have any magic, did they? So he continued on, and then he married and had all his brave sons and dutiful daughters, and here I am. Just like this.

I love my father, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to forgive him.

quote:

Who, outside the team, is helping you understand your new body?

Once we knew the truth, my father sent for my great-uncle, Magus Thomas Lindenhall, of the Imperial Academy of Thaumaturgy. He's something of an expert in unorthodox transformative magic, and he lived in the Sunspines for a while, so he knows a bit about harpies. He's been a great help, believe me, although there's very little even he can do. He tells me that reversal spells do exist, but that they'd have to trace the full extent of the curse, and there's no telling whether I'll ever be completely human again. But if there's any hope... that's a reason to rise to knighthood, isn't it? Having my case heard by the finest, as a worthy recipient?

quote:

Why don't you just try to hide yourself away?

... and then there's the other thing that Magus Thomas told me.

Blood-curses are pernicious, he says. I'm the manifestation of it, but it's not just in me; it's in all of my father's blood, and perhaps in his siblings' as well, or anyone else who's sworn kinship to him. (It's magic, I suppose?) He's already having the Imperial Academy root it out in my brothers and sisters, to stop whatever's there before they marry and spread it, but if they can't demonstrate beyond a shadow of a doubt that the curse isn't a threat -- which means I'm not a threat -- everyone affected will be exiled or put to the sword. If I try to hide, I'll be found, and...

And I'm not sure I could hide, anyway. Ever since I changed, I can't stand to be pent up. It makes me... angry, restless. It's not as if I can fly, but I have to be free, and something in me wants this violence. I, I just hope that this can keep it all in balance.

quote:

I... this is a secret, although I doubt I hide it very well, but... I just can't stand being lonely. I never have been before all this began. There were always my brothers and sisters, and the friends I made when we'd winter in Arklan, and of course I was preparing to be married and have a family of my own. There was simply no chance I would have to live life alone. And now... none of that preparation matters. Those I cared for are gone. I doubt I'll ever go home, or be visited, or be loved, even if -- when I have my seat at the Table. It's a great burden, sometimes.

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not giving up. I don't intend to fail, not with my family's reputation and my own life hanging in the balance. But I need someone to rely on, and... most days, my fellow Pages are enough.

quote:

Hero Name: Lady Fury

Look: Woman, White, Piercing Eyes, Scaled Feathered Flesh, Strange Costume
Abilities:

Superhuman Senses: Lady Fury's cursed harpy form grants her the keen sight of a raptor, as well as sharpened hearing using her animalistic ears and a keen sense for magnetic direction and wind currents. These are deep, instinctual senses, capable of confusing or frightening Lady Fury herself.
Inhuman Might: While Lady Fury's birdlike frame may seem delicate, it holds an immense and terrible strength, aided by sharp talons and a ferocious anger in the heat of battle, and more durability than one might expect.

Labels
Freak +3
Danger +2
Savior 0
Superior -1
Mundane -1

Moves

Coming For You
When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Not Human Enough
When you directly engage a threat in a terrifying fashion, mark a condition to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Wish I Could Be
When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

When Our Team First Came Together...
We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships
___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence
You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Thread Questions:

quote:

Like I said, my family is large and well-connected, and when something like... what's happened to me... happens, a great many of them are willing to be helpful. Several of my relatives pulled strings to offer me a chance at a pageship, and I performed quite well at the tests of strength -- this body can do some things right, at least. My family is counting on me to vindicate myself; at least they were able to get me somewhere I might be able to do it.

quote:

Squire Francesca de Zora oversaw my initial combat tests, and she recommended me personally to her commanding Knight, Sir Ferdinando de la Fonseca. He's a jolly sort of fellow and thinks that I'm quite... interesting? Amusing? He's the one that started calling me "Lady Fury." It stings a bit, but he's kind to me under it, and I can't afford to refuse kindness.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 23, 2017

Flamander
May 4, 2009

quote:

Who were you before?

Oh, uh, me?

Well, nobody, really. At least, nobody now.

Matthias Hacke, 18 years old. Former magic student and current Page... sir. Nowadays, I guess most people who see me call me 'The Living Armor', which isn't too far off from the truth, to be honest with you. I grew up in the mountainside city of Arcanis. Very famous place, known for its mystic research as well as its pastries. I grew up in a small family, my father owning a local bar around the area. Having not a lot of options, he collected all the spare change he had and eventually, he managed to send me to the Dracan School of Magic, which... you've probably heard of if you like listening into scrying networks. It specialized in enchantments, and a lot of maguses frequented the school.

I haven't heard how it's been doing recently.

quote:

When did you change? What caused it?

The task was simple. It was my final exam of the year... and all I had to do was enchant the set of armour properly. I guess the ley-lines or... something must have been misaligned. On that day, a magical lightning bolt struck the demonstration area. My body fell into a deep sleep... and the armor became energized in its place, my mind and soul transplaced into a new body. It's... like I'm a poltergeist haunting a suit of armour... in a sense. Every student was shocked. Apparently, this was a very rare occurrence. Of course... they had to check to see if it was in fact me or just a construct. I had asked one of the teachers - and he said that it was more likely for me to die right away... but we checked anyways.

In life magic, there's a basic test - it allows one to prod another's soul and procure any sort of statistics someone would need in the process. By using this spell, we determined - I was in fact myself. We could see there was something more to what caused my transformation. For now, however, it may as well be the gods. As repayment for this grave accident, they etched a message onto the back of my chest armor. It reads, "The Dracan School of Magic can confirm that this armor set is currently being possessed by Matthias Hacke." Upon activation of a certain keyphrase: 'Magi Sigil, Glow!' - it will glow as proof. I didn't want to leave my father behind at all, so I'm very thankful, and I feel like I owe a great debt towards the Magi at the School of Magic.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is helping you understand your new body?

For the magic side of things, there's always listening in on scrying networks. They're... not always reliable, seeing as I've heard more than a few advertisements for John's Wandering Donkey Shack, but they're a good source for the magical side of my problems.

On the other hand, until a few weeks ago, I was having trouble finding someone who knew something, anything about armor. Luckily, however, there is an armorer who goes to our bar every now and then. Honestly, he should be stopping drinking at his age. He has grandchildren, for crying out loud. His name is Mark Stormplain. He rose up from the slums, but because of that, he does his job expertly. He's a good friend of my father, and they used to serve as the town guard of Arcanis together when they were younger. He knows how my armor's joints work well enough, and apparently, he can get in contact with some people to help me understand ball and chain combat - people who used to serve with him in the town guard, I think.

quote:

Why don’t you just try to hide yourself away?

It would be extremely hard. I still have family and friends that I can't just abandon immediately - not to mention the fact that this armor is exceedingly large, slow, and noisy. That isn't very conductive to hiding yourself away. Plus... I really sort of can't. My body's still at Arcanis. I let them have it, so that they could figure out a way to keep my old body alive. With my old body, it'd be much more easier for them to research how the whole accident happened, anyways. For now, all most people know is that: the student known as Matthias Hacke is under a deep sleep, while 'the Living Armor' has awakened.

quote:

I've always wanted to be known for something. It doesn't matter if it's magic, or knighthood... I just want to be remembered as, I don't know, a legendary hero or a great scholar, by people. Magic's been denied to me, now... being a suit of armor isn't conductive for casting any spells, you see. I've dedicated my life to this point, and suddenly, it feels like I've got no options. Recently, I thought about what I could do with what I was given, and what the others in my life have done. I figured my mother was a bad example in particular - she left us to become an bandit and seek glory by stealing from all over the country. After a while, I decided that I wanted to join a team just like my father. In order to do this, that means getting along with everyone as best I can! Even if they call me inhuman, or just a suit of armor.

quote:

Funny story, that... I actually walked in, thinking you just had to apply to get in, and they thought I was a decorative suit of armor! After a while of waiting, a squire tried to try me on as a joke - at which point, I stumbled to the ground. Needless to say, there was quite a bit of confusion before everything was sorted out. They were actually quite curious as to my state; and were glad to give me a recommendation to an Official Page Test. I did great mostly - although I barely passed the portion that tested your strength of speed.

quote:

Squire Chris Florence is, to say the least, a taskmaster. That isn't to say he doesn't care, because he does. He just... cares about training, that's all. Funny thing is, he was the squire that tried to fit inside me. Curious man. A absent-minded prankster - almost like a kid - when he's off duty. When it comes down to the thick of it though, a mental switch flips, and he becomes almost the complete opposite in terms of personality - determined and extremely serious.

quote:

Suggest a thread title.

[Masks] Saturday Knight's Alright For Fighting

quote:

Full Name: Matthias Hacke
Hero Name: Living Armor
Playbook: Transformed
Look: Man, Grey-Purple, Piercing Eyes, Metallic Flesh, No Costume

Abilities: You appear obviously and clearly monstrous, and your powers are tied to your appearance. Choose two, and describe how they make you grotesque:

Impenetrable armor.

My armor is my flesh. It is cold iron, reinforced by magic. Very strong, but also very large. This means that I... stand out in a crowd, since I can't actually get out of the armor.

inhuman might Ball and chain.

Given the state of my current possession, it is rather helpful that I can switch out my regular hand armor for a ball and chain attachment that can sunder the armor of many beasts and warriors. When I go out on my everyday life, it's needless to say that toting around a spiked iron ball in place of my hand looks quite intimidating, however.

Stats

Freak: +3
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: -1

Moves

I am not my body: When you take a powerful physical blow, you may roll as if you had two fewer conditions marked. If you do, on a 10+ you must choose to lose control of yourself in a terrible way.

Coming for you: When you mark a condition, take +1 forward against the person you most blame for causing it.

Wish I could be: When you comfort or support someone, if you tell them what you most envy about them, you can roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, clear one condition if they treat you like a perfectly normal person and mark potential if they praise your power or abilities.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them if they think you’re losing or gaining humanity. If they say losing, mark a condition and mark potential. If they say gaining, clear a condition and shift Mundane up and any other Label down.

When Our Team First Came Together...

We drew attention and ire from plenty during the fight. One important person in particular now hates and fears us. Who is it?

Relationships

___________________ comforted you when you were at your lowest.
___________________ knew you before you changed.

Influence

You try not to care what other people think, even if you can’t shut everyone out. Give Influence to one teammate.

Moment of Truth

It’s so easy to forget that you’re not your body, and you’re not the voice in your head — you’re both. Be the monster, and save them anyway. Smash down walls, and speak softly. Because when you embrace it, you can do anything. Of course, putting on a display like this is sure to rile up those who see only the monster when they look at you…

Flamander fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 24, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Corporal Ors Calveit

Yeah, I know I'm not exactly whom you'd expect here. You pompous lot lets me know every drat day, thank you very much. All you brats acting like you're the bloody knights already and I'm wondering if any of ye even drew their sword outside your little marble playground. I've seen dozens kids like you, hell, I commanded them. Saw them come, saw them die, saw them dragged through mud and desert, even had to put one's guts back in with my own hands. What I'm getting at is, you may yawn at the lectures of Karkadann's and Efreets, but it's daily life for the Tabriz garrison. Week after week of making sure folks can sleep at night when the Knights are gone.

The medal? Means more than you'll ever achieve, son. Led the rescue when Lady de Nazair got ambushed in the Amojjar Pass. Yeah, you heard that right. 'Us', common folk, saving a knight. A good woman and a good warrior, but these thing are just part of military life. No shame in that. Don't worry, you'll learn that eventually. Anyhow, made Arwintar real proud that day. Received the honors and was meant to get captaincy the second Lord General signs the papers, but the good Lady said I'm destined to bigger things and offered me a shot at knighthood.

And being the oaf I am, I accepted. Was supposed to blast through the squiredom in a year or two, pay lip service to tradition, get the lay of the land... Well, it turned out apparently the Order isn't a place for men unafraid to have opinions and now I'm stuck with you lot. Could've been a captain by now and I'm back herding rookies again.

And it's Corporal to you, kid. I'm still an officer.

I envision Calveit as somewhat older than expected from pages/Masks, yet, for all the differences, on the very same path of self-discovery. The rules-breaking is of course scoffing at the Code of the Round Table in favor of military practicality.

How did you get your powers?
In blood, sweat, and tears, kiddo. Though I wouldn't be halfway where I am now if it wasn't for my old sergeant Pitcairn. The man took the dumb young boy I was and forged it into a man that stands before you. And, more importantly, taught me the army really can be your family if you let it be one.

What do you do for fun?
Drink wine and play cards, mostly. Could show you some neat tricks if you want to.

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
The wise man Marvin, obviously. And it is a true honor - the only person I know that might outsmart our very own Lord General. But I never said that last part out loud, understood? Anyhow, he's the sole voice of reason in this place. He knows how life really works. How things look outside these ivory towers. Really, by this point my main drive for a seat by the table is for the old man to have one less oaf to argue with.
While Ors is convinced he's a victim of a courtly intrigue spun by arrogant knights, in fact it is the wizard Marvin that pulled a Mr. Miyagi on him and "grounded" him among the pages to teach humility, power of friendship, knightly conduct and all those things really stopping Ors from becoming a true hero of Arwintar.

Hell, name me a boy in this kingdom who doesn't want to be a Knight when he grows up. Tried the best next thing and I joined the army.

I'm an officer. That's what I do. Protect the recruits until one they they are able to save another son of Arwintar themselves. Always stick for each other, no matter the odds.

Sometimes I wonder if civilian folks, the kind who had the time to settle down, marry a nice girl and make a couple kids... If they truly know what a family is.

When our team first came together... We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were they?
TBD, want to get a bit more feel about our setting-to-come.

quote:

Playbook: Delinquent

Labels:
Freak: 0
Savior: -1
Superior: +2
Mundane: +1

Abilities: illusions maskirovka, gadgetry and hacking
Ors doesn't actually have any supernatural abilities, magickal nor divine. Rather, he's just the kind of the amazing soldier that leaves you in disbelief when featured in some Internet listicle. Think (earlier) Rambo crossed with McGyver.

Moves:
I don’t care what you think!:
Whenever you reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.

Are you watching closely?: When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
- you get an opportunity
- you expose a weakness or flaw
- you confuse them for some time
- you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Troublemaker: When you help a teammate through destructive, criminal dishonorable, or rule-breaking un-knightly actions, you can give them a +2 instead of a +1 when you spend a Team from the pool.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hey there!

Thanks for the app.

I do want to note a couple of things: Masks is strictly about teenage heroes. Ors is too old for that, and his rank too high. I understand that you're aware of this, but I feel like it's a bit too out of place, especially as a Deliquent, who is more about being "cool" or "awesome" than just willing to break rules to win (which, they do admittedly do as well).

I don't mean to say that your character is bad (in fact, it's a pretty good idea), but I don't think it works with this system. Please consider reworking it. :)

Also, the "When we first came together" part comes after picks, don't worry about that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Can't get the idea to work

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 24, 2017

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Well then ch-ch-check out my sweet new remix. *scratches vinyls*

Ors Calveit

Jan Ors has been cursed to 'bring end to the Round Table'. He really hopes it doesn't mean exploding when touched by Prince Kalas.

He knew that fateful day was rotten from the get go. His father, a proud officer of the Tabriz keep, took a leave to spend some time together - fence, visit the town, maybe take a horse ride southward - yet was recalled last minute to go on a rescue - Lady de Nazair, one of the Knights, and her entourage got ambushed in the Ajjar pass in the blightlands en route to one of the eastern lands.

The men eventually returned, with a prisoner to boot - an emerald-clad dark haired man, who commanded a real Efreet as if it was his dog! - yet even though everyone made it back and the Lady clinged to life despite her wounds, the whole company was grim and silent. Apart from sergeant Leuw perhaps, but even he made his best to suppress his seething anger. Ors had never seen the fine swords of Tabriz so... Resigned to their fate.

Father took young Ors to the prisoner, who performed some intricate sorceries on the boy. "You, my dear," the man explained to the boy, scared and confused by the situation, "are to bite the tail off the Ouroboros that is the Round Table." He was not the kind of man to invite protestations and so Ors had only managed to meekly ask of his fate. "Oh, you don't have to do anything, young boy," the man assured him with a devilish smile. "Just study well, respect your superiors, and you'll never have to worry about your dear friends."

A few days later, Calveit was spared the avoidant gazes and evasive answers by arrival of summons to the Order itself, the boy having been 'selected for his commendable conduct and magickal aptitude'. Which was one polite way of saying poo poo began to happen when Ors got angry or scared at his situation. The annoying fly swatted itself against the wall. His body... Did things. And most terrifyingly of all, he saw a messenger bird wither and die at his mere touch.

And here he is now, within the marble halls of the Order, living every Arwinter boy's dream. And yet, deathly afraid. Afraid of what's happening to him, afraid what is going on back in Tabriz, afraid of dying in ingominy the second news of him being a pawn in some grand scheme reach the Crown Prince. Yet perhaps, with the vast knowledge held by the Knights, if he puts his back to it, then maybe - maybe - he'll be able to figure out this whole mess before it's too late.

Who, outside of the team, is crucial to defeating your nemesis?
Finding Lady de Nazair is my best bet right know. Wherever she is now, whatever she does, she knows what happened in that God-forsaken pass.

The very high wizard Marvin Zolim himself! Once, he came over to watch us pages train and he just kept staring at me with these sad, old eyes and I was so afraid he saw right through me and understood everything and I'm about to end like all traitors to the Crown do, but he just sighed and said 'you'll do fine, boy' in that soft voice he always has. I'm still not sure what to think of that encounter.

Why does the team matter to you?
poo poo, whom else have I got for help? Besides, they're new to the Order too, have their own perspectives. Maybe if they get to know me a bit, they'll be willing to help with my predicament, rather than rat me out to the higher-ups.

quote:

Playbook: the Doomed

Labels:
Freak: +2
Savior: +1
Superior: -1
Mundane: 0

Abilities: body transmutation, telekinesis, vitality absorption

Doom: frightening loved ones, talking about it openly

Nemezis: the dark forces plotting the downfall of the Order - and more importantly, the wicked man that left the stalwarts of Tabriz garrison powerless to let him do this to me.
I'm keeping it a bit vague, because I'd rather discover the details together in play myself. Hopefully left enough breadcrumbs so we have a decent yarn to spin.

Sanctuary:a library of ancient tomes, a scattering of ancient relics, art, music and food.
Downsides: tied intricately to your doom, location known to many.
Ors has been given keys to the house of one Balthazar Krepps by his 'benefactor'. Housekeeping the lavish townhouse for the wealthy merchant - apparently gone on a trade mission to the Eastern Kingdoms - is a dream come true to the young Ors. And while at first he mostly considered it a really cool place to invite a girl over, he soon discovered Mr. Krepps kept quite a big and quite interesting library in his study room. Very different from the one available at Arklan.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Excerpt from Sage Zolim's book "Mystery of Magic"

quote:

It might surprise you, dear reader, but magic is not what it used to be. Indeed, the older of you might remember tales of your forefathers, and their forefathers. A good three hundred years in the past, a terrible calamity befell the world.

A calamity of our own making.

Indeed, for there were wizards, much like us, back in the day, but ruins we find every day show signs of a much more advanced civilizations in many of the nooks and crannies of the kingdom, and the bards tell tales of sealed civilizations, the ones we call old-worlders, every passing day. Those old-worlders live in roughly spherical "dome-cities", protected by mighty barriers that reject all magic.

In a way, they had the right idea all along. As man grew proud, the mightiest of wizards tried to tamper with the very fabric of magic itself, but... the consequences were severe.

Weither by unintended consequence or divine punishment, magic itself has changed....

And not for the better.

Indeed, the very process that creates Dark Mages, those whose desperation gave them powers beyond belief at the cost of their own sanity and health, was the very same process that created many of the heroes in the past - an awakening of power in the time of great need. However, it is that no more. Instead of heroes, it creates mad beasts in the guise of man.

And so, I must urge you, dear reader, to understand that magic is not a toy, and cannot be treated as such...

Lord Vane Drake, The Beacon

Not much to say here! Very good app. It might hard to fulfill the incredible time or place want, though, especially early on, considering both your status and that you already start in the most incredible (known) place in the kingdom.

Red Errant, the Bull

I think the Gravekeep is a bit to silly of a concept to keep in line with the other Knights so far (and don't think you can get the Shovel Knight pun past me). And like I discussed with you, I don't think the genderswap thing has a good enough reason to be part of the character, and might weird out other players.

Lady Fury, the Transformed

Another good app! I forgot if I told you already or not, but I am okay with Lady Fury being able to fly, even if it's not explicitely part of the abilities. After all, she's a goshdarn bird.

OR IS SHE!?

Living Armor, the Transformed.

On the one hand, I like how your transformed has a clear way out of his state, but on the other hand, I'm a bit wary of this. Armor, especially a full suit, has the side effect of hiding who's in it. Even if your character is infamous for what they are, would people really know it's specifically you that is (or rather, isn't) in that suit of armor?

Ors Calveit, the Doomed

I'm not quite sure what to think of this one. I'm glad you were open to my suggestion of rework, but this feels far, far too vague. A lot of it seems to just throw the ball into my court regarding making your character and backstory.

Everyone else: Finish your apps! :)

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 24, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Right, made those edits.

Flamander
May 4, 2009
Edits have been made to show that Living Armor has a method of identification.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Name: Stephen Wolsley
Working Name: Rat
Look: male, mud brown hair and eyes, leather armor, lean body

Abilities:
Shared: Stealth
Own: Weapons and gadgets
Mentor’s: Impossible fighting skills

Mentor:
Embodies: Danger
Denies: Mundane

Labels:
Danger -1
Freak 0
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +1

Moves:
Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base
of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

Venting frustration: When you directly engage while you are Angry, you can roll + the Label your mentor denies and clear Angry.

Be mindful of your surroundings: When you assess the situation before entering into a fight, you may ask one additional question, even on a miss.

Mentor’s Resources:
A Hidden Base, false identities, badges of authority

Moment of Truth
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses influence over you and you mark potential.
If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor
(including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence
Choose Playful or Business.
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.
If you choose business, give Influence to no teammates.

• How did you first meet your mentor?

Sir Richard Bryce is a wealthy gentleman and heroic knight, renown for his philanthropy and his charitable efforts in addition to his deeds in battle. I was one of those unfortunates who ended up in one of his orphanages. I most likely have a mother and a father, but I can’t say I remember any details. My earliest memory is of fighting a cat for a discarded piece of chicken. The orphanage, at least, was dry and warm, for the most part.

Less well known is that Sir Richard is also the one the King calls upon when he needs things taken care of... less publicly than sending in his knights. When he needs information, when he needs items, when he needs people to... go away...

We met when he needed bait. I’m not going to make it any prettier than that. I was the first warm body his men found at the orphanage, and, to be frank, no one was going to come looking for me. It seemed like a good deal, at first: accompany the gentleman to a royal banquet as an example of the sort of charity work he does in the community, just tell the folks honestly how I was treated, eat a meal, go back. Instead, I ended up on the deck of a ship, tied down, hoping to attract the attention of some brand of winged hellbeast that enjoyed feasting on “young blood”. Seems a visiting lord’s daughter was killed recently, and the King wanted it deal with quickly and quietly. No mounting a great crusade for vengeance, just make the thing disappear.

I don’t think I was intended to survive. Or maybe that didn’t even cross their minds. But when the thing landed and started in, the ropes and my eyebrows burning off due to the proximity, Sir Richard was on it quicker than lightning, and after a tussle on the deck, broke it’s neck, shattered its spine, broke all four of its limbs, and drove a stake of cold iron into is heart with his bare hands, before dumping the thing overboard without a second glance.

He seemed surprised to see me standing there, holding a dagger that had slipped off his belt while they wrestled. He asked me what I intended to do. I told him that I was going to kill him if he didn’t take me back to the mainland. He laughed, and asked if I’d watched what had just happened. I told him that he might kill me, but I’d take one of his eyes with me.

• When and why did you choose to train with them?
• Why did they agree to train you?

This was about seven years ago, so the timeline is a little fuzzy. I remember waking up the next day in the warmest, nicest bed I’d ever been in. I had assumed it was the afterlife, because I couldn’t remember anything else from the night before. I figured that if the rest of eternity were like this, that would suit me just fine.

Instead, Sir Richard came in and asked how I had slept. Lest you get the wrong idea, I was in the place where his livery boy used to sleep -- old hay, old wool blanket, cracked glazing on the windows, rough tuck pointing on the walls. It was a palace to me. I know better now, of course.

To say the we agreed to train with one another is... not accurate. He saw potential in me, but also did his best to kill me. “Damnit, Rat, there aren’t any second chances in real life” and “No one stops in a real fight” and “If you can’t do this, I might as well kill you myself” were regular phrases. And, well, where else was I going to go? Not much of a nickname, is it? But then, he’s referred to as the Spider, so... I don’t know.

It wasn’t all bad, though, I don’t want to give that impression. It’s a bit like, he’s got two sides to himself, his regular cheery self, and his harder, darker working side. And neither of them are the real man. And he’s perfectly aware of it, he’s not one of those poor possessed folks with two souls that constantly battle for control of the body. It’s more like... an actor, putting on a performance. And I’m not sure which side is the performance.

No one questioned him suddenly having a nephew, and so I was occasionally bandied about in society. I took him seriously when he said to stay mostly quiet, eat from the outside in, not draw attention to myself, ignore money, compliment ladies, all that stuff, so there weren’t any major faux pas or anything. I read a novel once (yes, he taught me to read and write, too), where a young man tries to pass himself off as a nobleman and fails miserably. But it was weird; why was he trying to hard? Why was he so nervous all the time? Did no one teach him how to control his breathing, center his pulse, quell his inner fire, and give the fear to others?

I enjoyed learning. I would never be the combatant that Sir Richard was, but I was clever. I could build things. I could hide things. Tools and such, the sorts that people never realize they need.

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

Well, Sir Richard, of course, and the chamberlain, Edwards, who has assisted Sir Richard in on numerous occasions. The King, I’m sure, though I obviously haven’t asked him. Or maybe he hasn’t mentioned me?

• Why do you care about the team?

I’ve... not spent a lot of time around people my age. But they’re my responsibility. I’m not positive, but I don’t believe many of them are coming from the same background, and might have a more naive view of how the world works. And I have to take care of them. Someone has to.

Well, it was dead simple. Sir Richard asked, I was called, I knocked the tar out of a fellow in armor, showed them I can ride a horse, picked up some rather heavy things, and recited from the book of the law. “Perfect practice results in perfect execution”.

Lady Hermonia, sworn of the lost goddess, and squire to the Grand Knight Avila. She’s a nice person, but under the impression that I need to relax. And, alright, perhaps I am a bit serious at times. But this is a serious place where we do serious things. How am I to relax? It’s probably for the best that she doesn’t know about anything beneath the surface.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Excerpts from the historian Gregor Westminister's "People of the Kingdom"

Sage Marvin Zolim

quote:

Famous practitioner of the incredibly rare school of Spirit Magic, the usage of which requires a certain gift. His mastery over this talent allows him to heal the wounded and sick, soothe the soul, read one's mind and so on. Thanks his long life, he was able to master many other schools, including but not limited to the elemental arts, light magic, enchantment, illusions and countless others. His knowledge of the arts is so vast that to say if it exists, he can help you with it is no overstatement.

Currently, he is training two Squires, Lady Sandra Lazarus the Kind, as well as Nirian, the Oracle of Arwintar.

Hobbies: Talking about Magic, boring students, discussing philosophy, long naps

Lady Sandra Lazarus, the Kind

quote:

Scion of one of the seven Great Families, Lady Sandra Lazarus was born with the rare talent for Spirit Magic. She is currently being tutored by Sage Zolim himself, and so far has shown an aptitude towards healing magics, as well as animation magic. Famous for her 'Dancing Swords' style, utilizing floating swords to great effect.

Hobbies: Petting dogs, petting cats, tea ceremonies, helping people

Nirian, Oracle of Arwintar

quote:

A foreigner claiming to be from a far-away land, Nirian as revealed next to nothing about herself or her past, even on the urging of the Crown Prince himself, earning herself much ire in the process, only to be saved by the King's personal favor. However, she has the King's personal favor for a very good reason: She is blessed with what can only be described as the divine gift to see the future, and it has been proven to be no mere hyperbole.

Due to the king's favor, the she is largely freed from public persecution by the noble families, who often use her services despite their wide-spread distaste of her. This distaste stems from her personality, which can only be described as beyond eccentric, and incredibly free-spirited. Often doing whatever she wants, when she wants, it is rather clear she doesn't give the nobility (or, indeed, even the royal family) the proper respect.

Despite being an official Squire, she is a non-combatant and only has theoretical training in combat. However, much like Lady Lazarus, she is proficient in Spirit Magic. Both Sage Zolim and the King himself have noted that despite her terrible personality. her loss would be a great one to all of Arwintar, and it is easy to see why.

Hobbies: Chess, irritating nobles, going for walks, getting lost on said walks

Questions!

Nirian walks into the room, surprising all of you due to the completely unannounced nature of her visit. "Good morning. Please don't ask me how I got here. I have my ways, okay? I have some questions I'd like you to answer." she notes, explaining nothing to you at all.

Lord Vane Drake

She addresses you first. "How does it feel? Killing a man? Quite different from killing boars, is it not?" she asks, without even directly looking at you. "No, no need to answer. I already know. But... are you afraid of getting used to it?"
She briefly chuckles. "Of course, I know the answer to that too. I just want to hear it from your own mouth."

After your answer, she turns to...

Sentinel

"Blonde suits you, young lord." she notes smiling, despite your face being hidden beneath the helmet and this being your first meeting. And yet, you are not surprised. After all, this is the Oracle of Arwintar standing infront of you. "Now, this may surprise you, but I am not here to ask about your family, but you, yourself."

Letting that sink in, she continues. "For what reason do you really take up the blade, I wonder?" she inquires with a grin.

Again, after you reply, she turns her unreadable face to the next person.

Red Errant

She laughs out heartily. "I expected someone taller." she quips, almost as if an in-joke only she understands. "Have you told anyone yet? ... no, nevermind. That question's boring. Feel free to ignore it."

Pondering for a few seconds, she continues. "Ah, here's a good one. Have you ever given some thought as to the real reason of your village's plight? After all, no knight in shining armor ever came to your rescue, did they?" she says, faking thinking really hard. "It's almost like we had a warrior class with very high influence and power in the kingdom... oh, never mind. I'm just talking crazy again."

After your response, she turns to the next person with the widest grin she's sported so far.

Lady Fury

"Oh dear, that's quite the predicament you got into, at no fault of your own., Lady Lindenhall. Or is it Lady Fury now?" she wonders, still grinning. "But I feel like that would have been preventable. I heard there's, like, some sort of Oracle your father could have consulted after a certain incident with a harpy to prevent all this. But then again, she's probably just a fraud. Do you think he should have consulted that oracle? No, I don't want to know your opinion of right now. What would your own decision have been, back in the day, if you were him?"

Nirian laughs out loud as she turns to the next interviewee after your response. "Just try not to take it too hard. We're all monsters on the inside, aren't we?"

Living Armor

"What did you do!?" she asks with fake worry. "No, I'm serious. Just how did you pull that off? This is something not even Master Zolim can fix. That is, in a way, impressive on it's own."

"But..." she continues, pacing around the room for a bit. "Why do you even want your body back? Is this one not straight up an improvement? You're next to invincible, you don't need to eat, drink, or even sleep." she points out.

With her usual smile, she looks directly at you. "I've never quite understood this attachment to the human body." she starts, before chuckling for a moment. "Sorry, Spirit Mage joke. Astral projection and all. But seriously, why DO you want your own body back? What makes it worth it in your eyes?"

Again, she turns away after you respond.

Ors Calveit

She looks at you with a look that appears to be a mix of confusion and worry. "I do have to wonder, why are you even here, if... you know."

Waiting for the shock to settle in, she grins at you. "Of course I know. I'm merely curious as to what let to your decision to not simply run away. I'll leave you to deal with this on your own terms. It's for the best, trust me."

Rat

"So.... you're not mad? At all?" she says before leaning in way too close, that deep grin far too close to your face. "I'm kind of surprised you'd even want to be trained by such a person. But then again, maybe he seemed like the best possible father figure to you. Growing up without parents must be hard. But there was that event, wasn't it? That caused you to grow a lot closer, yes?"

Frowning, she continues. "Oh, come on. Don't be so... boring. Do tell."

After you, she looks around the room.

"Hmm... I feel like we're missing a few people. Or maybe I'm just too early? It is rather hard to keep track of time sometimes..." she quips, chuckling at her own joke. "Well, see you soon!"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Mar 25, 2017

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Rat

"So.... you're not mad? At all?" she says before leaning in way too close, that deep grin far too close to your face. "I'm kind of surprised you'd even want to be trained by such a person. But then again, maybe he seemed like the best possible father figure to you. Growing up without parents must be hard. But there was that event, wasn't it? That caused you to grow a lot closer, yes?"

Frowning, she continues. "Oh, come on. Don't be so... boring. Do tell."

After you, she looks around the room.

"What use is anger, my lady? Held onto, it is a poison in one's own glass, drunk in the hopes that one's enemy will die. Bandied about, it is a whip that strikes everyone near by. It is useless. Unnecessary." And if you think he's not just reciting what he's been told and trying to convince himself he believes it, well, there's this gold mine for sale real cheap down south and I've got the deed right here...

"And, look, Sir Richard isn't my dad. I know that. It isn't... It isn't like..." He closes his eyes, swallows.

"Look, alright. Fine. It was at a ball being held by Duke Barthelme. A purely social thing. An excuse to dress up, dance with some pretty people, and eat someone else's food. 'It's important to enjoy life, too, and remember why you do this', Sir Richard always says. And, well, I'm sure you're familiar with Lord Dalkey's sons, Roger and Ethan? They run off at the mouth. They said some... unpleasant things. About me. And for some reason, it hurt. Words don't hurt, but theirs did. They aren't magicians, just... some people who'd been nice to me at the beginning of the night, and were very mean by the end.

"Sir Richard noticed, of course, on our way home. He asked what happened, and I told him. And rather than responding with a saying or a parable or an example from history, he just looked out the window at the moon for a moment, a strange expression on his face, and told me about a similar experience he'd had when he was around my age, only with a boy and a girl, while at a summer retreat. And I don't know why, but thinking about him being a kid made me feel a little better. Not perfect, but, a bit better.

"He was around more, after that. I don't know if he was doing it on purpose, but I noticed. He spoke more, and not just about business or things to do with improving myself or better blending in. A while after he asked if I'd like to become a knight."

He opens his eyes again, and sighs. "There, happy? It's a boring, stupid story. You were expecting adventure or excitement, right? Well, I'm not going to lie or make something up because you probably already know it all anyways, right?"

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?

Musical theme

Are we meant to do this proper formally like, Oracle? Aye? Okay. Kia ora, kaumātua. Before you is the humble seeress Matakite, blessed one of Hine-nui-te-pō. It is a privilege to stand here before your exalted selves on this most auspicious day, and an honour to be considered as a potential recruit to such an august coalition as the Knights of the Round Table.

Who mentored you in supervillainy?

Helivan of the Waves. Heard of him, aye? Dread pirate captain, more feared than the typhoon and the storm. Him. He took me because of my eyes, seeing what's to come is invaluable on the seas. Gives him power. Everything he does is about more power. But 'mentored' is a strong word, like? 'Kidnapped and press-ganged' would be more like it to my eye. Or how about 'owned like an animal since I were wee', that one works too. I was only a bairn when those sea bastards came, no taller than me mam's knee. No idea where they took me from anymore, been too long now. Ten years and more as best I can keep count.

Who first showed you that you should do good?

The first? I guess where I grew up did that. Not that it stuck. Can hardly remember any of it, so I suppose it doesn't count for much. So besides that? The closest thing I think is my pounamu. It holds the wisdom of a hundred women who wore it before me. All seeresses, like me. All used it to help my people, generation on generation. Except me. But then, don't think many of them had an eye gouged out and the pounamu sewn in. So. All the same but, they were guiding me through the years. Trying to show me the way, they only got louder and louder and clearer and clearer as I got older and more in control. Almost started shouting 'why let yourself be chained, taitamaiti?'. I just couldn't ignore what they were saying no more.

What caused you to switch sides?

I got in too deep. A suckerfish can swim with the makō, but that doesn't make it a shark. Aye? But when you grow up with people, even a crew of pirates, you think them kin. They were me brothers and sisters; me strict da, and me uncles what let me into the rum. Easy enough to forget you're a glorified pet, chained to the wall until they got use of you. That time I saw a vision wrong. It happens, just too foggy to get a clear vision. We ran into an Arklan naval patrol, aye? And the winds wanted to blow us further into the harbour. Blood and fire and smoke, too much smoke to see clearly. Just like I saw in the vision, isn't it? Didn't need me eye to know I'd be lucky if Helivan of the Waves only just killed me for doing that to him. So I scarpered in the chaos, didn't I? Should've listened to me own visions a lot sooner.

What was your goal as a villain?

It was my job onboard to make sure we hit fast and get away clean. Reading the waves is just one thing these eyes of mine can do, aye? I saw when the winds were in me favour, and that's when we raided and plundered. Our ship was the fastest in the open sea, came and went like the swells themselves. And when I felt the winds change? That ill-tides were coming our way? We knew that was when we had to leave. Loved the feeling it gave me. I was in command, wasn't I? All that power and plunder? It was really because of me. Wonder why such a terror like Helivan of the Waves never got killed? Me, that's why.

Well, I have no clue where I was taken from anymore. And I doubt Helivan of the Waves or his crew will take me back after I stabbed them all in the back. Purely practical, mind. Aspirational like, well, odds are somebody else is going to want me eyes for their own self sooner or later. No way in all the Hells am I letting that happen again. Now that I'm free it's bloody well staying that way, me pounamu is dead firm. So I can wait for that to happen, or go out on me own. The Round Table seems me best bet for keeping free of any more chains, way I see it. So, now I'm going to use my visions to make sure they survive.

…the normal way? With swords on the shoulder, like? If you think I saw some glory for me in Arklan and just march my bum on in, I didn't. Me eye and the visions don't work like that. So I ran and got washed up somewhere in the Arklan Woodlands, aye? Had no clue where I was, hadn't been on land proper in years. Wasn't even me own luck that got me into Arklan proper, that was all thanks to the squire who found me. And then I got introduced like normal by the squire who noticed me to the Round Table, and went through all of that proper formal stuff.

That would be one Nirian, Oracle of Arwintar. Now I don't feel like she and me are the same, an oracle and a seeress are different. Can't really explain it, but. It's just a feeling I get from me eye. Just different, isn't it? But all the same, she's the one who found me when I was washed up in the Arklan Woodlands. She goes on walks like that, guess she saw me or sensed me or whatever it is she does. And she is… she is what I should be. I was kept in a cage near me whole life, and Nirian was just about as free as a bird. Pounamu was screaming, that's being free from chains. Had no problem going with her when she told us about the Knights.

(optional) Suggest a thread title

We're Knights of the Round Table, we dance when we're able

The Reformed posted:

Name: Matakite

Playbook: The Reformed

Look: Woman, Polynesian, Wary amber eye, Traditional fashion, Tattered costume

Labels:

Freak +2 | Danger +2 | Saviour -1 | Superior +0 | Mundane +0

Conditions:

□ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
□ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
□ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
□ Insecure (-2 to defend or reject what others say)
□ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Abilities:

Genius Intellect Seer
Supernatural insight.

Once in a generation in me village, a little girl is born with amber eyes. And that were me. I could see things others couldn't, how things were going to happen. Visions. A feeling of something good or bad, if I really focus the vision is more and more clear like it's happening right in front of me eyes. And me natural gifts in divination were enhanced by the pounamu eye that replaced my natural left eye. It's a type of greenstone, and this one had been passed down from seeress to seeress for many generations.

Reformed Moves

What the hell, hero?
Once per session, when you call out an injustice that a hero has perpetrated that counts as taking advantage of Influence over them, whether you have it or not.

Wrong side of the tracks
You always get to ask an additional questions when you pierce the mask of a villain, even on a miss.

Friends in Low Places

Galene! Weapons - 0 obligation

Frequent shipwrecks prove to be bountiful for those who can scavenge them. One of those being mermaids, unafraid to dive deep to take the best of sunken convoys and deep sea treasures. One of the more loquacious mermaids as well, given to talk to land-walkers over killing and eating them, she has set up a quite successful scavenged weapons dealership along the coast.

Sharp-Eye! Insider info - 2 obligation

This bird man was a temporary crew-mate of Matakite, taking over the birds nest and refusing to leave for several months. Unable to dislodge him without losing the mainsail, this bird man agreed to lookout in exchange for the crows nest. Nobody else much cared for him but Matakite, who herself was something of an outcast amongst the crew. Through their many talks, Matakite and Sharp-Eye became friendly and the seeress learnt that he was very good at seeing and hearing what he wasn't meant to. A little bit similar to Matakite's visions. Except real.

Con Rit, the Dreaded and Awful! Magical artefacts - 1 obligation

Most encounters with sea serpents end with a scuttled ship and a dead crew. But every now and then, one can encounter an intelligent beast. Usually they end up with a scuttled ship and a dead crew too, but not so for Con Rit. He was cleverer than most, and found it to be far more profitable to terrorise island hicks and scare them into worshipping him as a god. Which means tribute. Con Rit, not resting on his laurels, then on-sells the most treasured ones to get specific items or favours that he needs. He is one tricksy dragon.

Moment of Truth

You’ve seen your greatest mistakes, and they have too. The whole world is watching you now, judging every move you make. When everything is on the line and your back is against the wall, though, you're going to show them what a hero really is. Of course, afterward, your old villainous contacts are liable to be pretty upset or mistrustful of you...

Team Moves

When you share a moment of triumph with someone, ask them what gives them hope for a brighter day and give them Influence.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them what they would do something dark for and gain Influence over them.

Relationships

I follow Ghorza Rockbiter’s example of what a hero ought to be.

> Green lass seems to have her rocks together, aye?

I did something terrible to Lady Fury once. I hope they can forgive me one day.

> I needed a lot of human feathers for a spell, aye? Just so happened the waves of fate found Lady Fury to take them from. Heard the lads treated her mighty rough, like.

Influence

Do you talk openly about your days as a villain? If so, give each team member Influence over you.

When our team first came together…

When the team formed we fought a terrible evil and they lost something precious. Who was it and what did they lose?

Robodog fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 3, 2017

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I might post something here.

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

Questions!

Nirian walks into the room, surprising all of you due to the completely unannounced nature of her visit. "Good morning. Please don't ask me how I got here. I have my ways, okay? I have some questions I'd like you to answer." she notes, explaining nothing to you at all.

Living Armor

"What did you do!?" she asks with fake worry. "No, I'm serious. Just how did you pull that off? This is something not even Master Zolim can fix. That is, in a way, impressive on it's own."

"But..." she continues, pacing around the room for a bit. "Why do you even want your body back? Is this one not straight up an improvement? You're next to invincible, you don't need to eat, drink, or even sleep." she points out.

With her usual smile, she looks directly at you. "I've never quite understood this attachment to the human body." she starts, before chuckling for a moment. "Sorry, Spirit Mage joke. Astral projection and all. But seriously, why DO you want your own body back? What makes it worth it in your eyes?"

Again, she turns away after you respond.

Living Armor hustles and clanks a bit before responding. "To be honest, milady... it's the opposite of what you said. It's a matter of sensation." He looks at her directly with his glowing yellow dots for eyes. "Why should one live if he can experience all that life has to offer? I cannot taste my hometown's famous eclairs, or drink my home's ale." His whole body tilts downwards in despair, before he continues. "I can no longer even dream like the calm, yet joyful nights I used to..." He rights himself upwards, before finishing. "Yes - I may have the strength to protect others in war, but what is the point if I cannot enjoy peace?" Living Armor, affirming his choice, closed his eyes for a short while as he detailed his reasoning. "I want to protect others - the way I intend to, with my body intact, able to share the joys of life with others."

He opens his eyes, with a sense of resignation. "So, while there is still a chance that I may find a method to be placed back into my old body... I will endeavor to try. I have been given a second chance; whereas some people in this land may not have a good chance at life to begin with. In my opinion, my way has been chosen." Living Armor clenches his gauntlets for just a second. "Until that day, I am armor; and although it may be made of cold steel, armor surrounds and protects the one who dons it. I have the strength - but it needs to be put to good use."

Flamander fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Mar 26, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Fury

"Oh dear, that's quite the predicament you got into, at no fault of your own., Lady Lindenhall. Or is it Lady Fury now?" she wonders, still grinning. "But I feel like that would have been preventable. I heard there's, like, some sort of Oracle your father could have consulted after a certain incident with a harpy to prevent all this. But then again, she's probably just a fraud. Do you think he should have consulted that oracle? No, I don't want to know your opinion of right now. What would your own decision have been, back in the day, if you were him?"

Nirian laughs out loud as she turns to the next interviewee after your response. "Just try not to take it too hard. We're all monsters on the inside, aren't we?"

Lady Fury averts her eyes, in what might pass for decorum were there not a surprised flicker of anger in her face. "You don't have to tell me about what a fool my father was. I know. I know, and there's no going back from it. If it had been me?" She looks up again, and there's some honest conflict in her eyes now, in the place of simple anger. "I want to say that I'd have consulted everyone I could. I was raised to be fastidious about things, to care about details, in a way my father never has. But -- if I really were my father, back then? I probably wouldn't have thought of it either. His knight-errant days were, by all accounts, simple and happy. Uncomplicated. He never really had to think. I can't say that I would have been better, or that I necessarily was better, back when things were uncomplicated for me too."

There's another long pause, another averted gaze. "... I have to believe that people are good. There has to be something worth fighting for, worth living for, in this world, or... why go on at all?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

Questions!

Lord Vane Drake

She addresses you first. "How does it feel? Killing a man? Quite different from killing boars, is it not?" she asks, without even directly looking at you. "No, no need to answer. I already know. But... are you afraid of getting used to it?"
She briefly chuckles. "Of course, I know the answer to that too. I just want to hear it from your own mouth."

Vane looks up with a level gaze. He seems, perhaps, less surprised than most at the sudden intrusion. As a member of the nobility, he has, of course, had the opportunity to make the Oracle's acquaintance. His calm demeanor, though, shatters under her first question. For a moment he is no longer in the room of examination, but back in the hamlet. Trading blows with those who wanted nothing more than to pillage and destroy those he was sworn to defend. Feeling the thrill of victory. Marveling at the ease at which a spear could pierce a man's chest. Witnessing the light fading from eyes clouded with hate.

Vane struggles to regain his composure and, after a particularly deep breath, begins to answer, "Lady Nirian. A pleasure as always. I suppose you do have the gift of seeing into the hearts of man and woman alike. I will not bore you with protestations of things which you already know to be true. I expect that this is a trial that all who take up a weapon must face. Mine simply came sooner than most. It is no great accomplishment to become an unparalleled slayer of men. Not since the Order helped establish the rule of the King's Law throughout Arwintar." He looks to his spear for a moment, then looks back to the Oracle. "There are many who can kill with little effort. Take 'Bloodied Blade', for example. He was an aspirant to the Order, once, but his lust for battle consumed him utterly. They say he still wanders the world, fighting all he encounters. That is not what I wish to be."

Vane spins his spear and then plants it firmly in the floor, "Though I know what it feels like to kill a man, it is not a mark of strength. It is one that shows I was too weak to bring them to face the King's Justice. So, yes, Oracle, I fear getting used to that feeling. It would prove that I had reached my limit in the Order. If I am to be a Knight of the Order some day, I expect that I need become strong enough to subdue the most deadly foes without resorting constantly to the point of my spear."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 26, 2017

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Red Errant

She laughs out heartily. "I expected someone taller." she quips, almost as if an in-joke only she understands. "Have you told anyone yet? ... no, nevermind. That question's boring. Feel free to ignore it."

Pondering for a few seconds, she continues. "Ah, here's a good one. Have you ever given some thought as to the real reason of your village's plight? After all, no knight in shining armor ever came to your rescue, did they?" she says, faking thinking really hard. "It's almost like we had a warrior class with very high influence and power in the kingdom... oh, never mind. I'm just talking crazy again."

After your response, she turns to the next person with the widest grin she's sported so far.

Lilly crossed her crimson arms and stared back at the loony spellcaster. Beneath her armoured visage she was struggling to work out exactly what the woman was actually on about. Told anyone what? Her follow up question wasn't really a question, so much as an attempt to poke an angry bear for shits and giggles. Did she really think...?

"Stick to telling fortunes. Subtlety isn't your strong suit." Lilly said flatly. "We live within a vassal system. Villages and their land are owned by a local noble or collections of nobles. It is to them that we really on for protection. But if the noble is unwilling to protect the village, it's at the mercy of anyone who wants to profit. Obviously our village was abandoned by our noble. It's not surprising, If it was one of his more valuable lands, then he would have matched on the bandits in a heart beat. Even so, I don't know 'why' we were left to the bandits. Far as I know, we'd not done anything to anger him. Our previous tithe was far more then needed, even with the additional lost from the taxes to the bandits."

"What we were really hoping for, was that a wanderer would arrive at the village and we could barter with them to take action to clear out the bandits. Travelling heroes or questing knights aren't exactly uncommon. If a village can't call on it's noble for defence, then they look for a questing knight to sort the problem out. Clearly that didn't happen. So I sorted it out myself." Lilly gestured, like this outcome was common sense. "I'd dearly like a chance to find out why from the noble himself as to why we were abandoned. But I'm under strict instructions to not start poo poo with anyone in the Royal Court. So instead, I just have to wait for the idiot to put his foot out of line. And also to find out who our noble is... But when I do! Ohhhhhhh, I'm going to 'talk to him'. I'm going to 'talk to him' so hard."

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Hey Yami, I think I'll bow out after all, as I got thinking of some other RPG ideas of my own.

TheFireMagi
Nov 6, 2011

...She's behind me, isn't she?

Yami Fenrir posted:

Sentinel

"Blonde suits you, young lord." she notes smiling, despite your face being hidden beneath the helmet and this being your first meeting. And yet, you are not surprised. After all, this is the Oracle of Arwintar standing infront of you. "Now, this may surprise you, but I am not here to ask about your family, but you, yourself."

Letting that sink in, she continues. "For what reason do you really take up the blade, I wonder?" she inquires with a grin.

Again, after you reply, she turns her unreadable face to the next person.

There is a moment of surprise as the Oracle calls out the hidden color of Pryce’s hair, before he recalls just who it is he’s speaking to. Not that it was entirely a secret as such, so really she could have seen it at any of the formal affairs that he had attended in the past. Still, there was no reason to doubt her capabilities, so he didn’t. Instead, Pryce pondered over the Oracle’s question for a time, before cautiously replying with,

“I am afraid that if you are trying to imply something, Lady Nirian, then I simply do not understand what that is. My motivation is as clear as the still pool: to serve as a Knight of the Round Table is the best method for myself to assist others with the talents that I possess. Certainly, living up to grandfather’s and father’s legacy is of no small importance, but if I truly did not wish to become a Knight, then I-”

He pauses, the sentence unfinished. ‘Then I would not.’ The words he wants to say, yet refuse to come out. Pryce cocks his head, confused, as if the moment of hesitation catches him off-guard. No, not if, but it does. Realizing that the Oracle is still waiting for him to finish his reply, Pryce clears his throat before continuing.

“...Excuse me, I forgot myself. As I was saying, I am utterly sincere in my desire to do good by the kingdom, and the people that inhabit it. I may not have a mind for politics, but I am at least able with the blade, and so there is no better place for me than here, among my fellow Knights. Or Pages, as it is.”

TheFireMagi fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 29, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

A few minutes later, some new arrivals liven up the place!

... Unfortunately, one of them is Nirian. Again. "Sorry about that! I had to take care of something really quick." she apologizes.

Round 1

Ghorza Rockbiter

"Hello Ghorza! Nice to finally meet you in person. I mean, I know just about everything there is to know and most things you don't want anyone else to know, but it's much nicer meeting someone in person." She greets you with her seemingly signature grin. "Met Daisy earlier. She's very beautiful! I mean, looks that way to me. I don't know what passes for beauty for wyverns. She also tried to bite my hand off, but oh well. Still a much nicer person to talk to than most nobles."

Chuckling for a second, she continues talking. "Anyway, I'm actually in a hurry. Granted, I am most of the time, due to how many people want to talk to me, but whatever. I'd love to learn more about orc culture, personally. Sadly, it's unlikely I'll have the time in the near future. But, I'm rambling on - there is something I want to hear from you! What drove you to do all this even at the price of ruining relations with your own mother? Surely, humans can't be THAT interesting."

Inching closer, she whispers into your ears. "They're really not."

Desert Orchid

"Woah, woah, woah. Just... calm down. Remember to breathe between sentences. Even if you have one hell of a long breath. Not only does it make me worry about you suffocating, it allows one to process the sentence mentally in the meantime." she berates you, all the while making overblown motions and expressions to poke fun at you.

Returning to her (more) normal expression of her irritating grin, she asks you the question most of the others have warned you will come. "If you had the choice, what kind of life would you prefer to have been born into?" she inquires. "You don't seem very happy with the one you have been granted, after all."

Making an expression of suddenly having remembered something, she pulls out some sort of order. "Which reminds me. I'm supposed to give you this. This is for the costs of the chest you broke." she notes. Sensing your unease, she continues. "Buuut, since you're not of age yet, I took the liberty of addressing it at your father. I'm sure he won't mind."

Seeing some of you frown at her presence, her grin widens and she walks over to the ones already metaphorically drilled into previously.

Round 2

Rat

"Just wanted to say, well recited! Would be better if you actually believed it, but we can't all be perfect." she shuts down your earlier statement. "But, what did those noble scions say to you that actually hurt so much? How did it turn so sour?" she asks, tilting her head. "I'll admit, I'm mostly asking this so your future comrades know~. After all, accidentally angering someone only leads to disaster. But you would know that. After all, you've got experience with that, right?"

Living Armor

"To come back to our earlier discussion, I must say I don't really understand that line of thinking. Maybe I'm just jaded, who knows, but in a way that sounds like the good old argument of form over function to me, does it not? You would want back the need for food and drink just so you can experience eating food and drink." she tells you. "Do you know how many people suffer or die from starvation, every day? ... No, I shouldn't tell you. You'd just end up like me." she says, with an unusually serious look on your face.

"Are you sure you're not a noble? Because your desire is fairly close to the complete wastefulness they practice. Trust me, a lot of people would love to rid themselves of the need for food and drink."

Lady Fury

"You gave a very mature and thought out answer, Lady Lindenhall. It shows that your appearance has not changed who you truly are. I approve." Nirian praises you for your answer. "But, I ca-- ... no, nevermind." she starts to add, but quickly stops herself.

"Please forgive that blunder. Instead, wouldn't you say that your new form has been proving surprisingly useful? There's already a lot of good you've done you'd never would have been able to do as your old self, is there not?" she asks you, with a more genuine smile than usual.

Lord Vane Drake

"Again, a very mature answer. My apologizes to dragging you back to there, milord. But... on the other hand, I do sincerely hope you never are able to completely let go of that feeling. For I feel it is that very feeling, guilt, that seperates us from animals. Is it not? Much like a wolf feels no guilt after preying on sheep, the Bloodied Blade feels none when he fights and kills."

For a moment, she stares off, seemingly into the distance. "As you are probably well aware, I am a pacifist. It isn't that I don't have the capability to, but I simply cannot stomach harming another living being. However, that does not mean I do not understand the necessity for warriors such as you. And yet, I find that violence has become the go-to solution instead of the last resort. I am glad we can agree on the matter.

She briefly looks away from, you, only for a grin to return, but you can still make out that her expression is softer, betraying that her mood has improved.

"But, enough about boring old me. How's the family? Any power plays you missed while you were gone?"

Red Errant

"Oh, that is certainly true that I care little about subtlety. However, it doesn't appear to be your forte, either." she replies, the grin resurfacing with little trace of her good mood from earlier. "I do have to admit, you actually surprised me, as rare as that is. I'm not sure what I'm more surprised of, though - the fact that you don't even know the name of the noble you are paying taxes to, or that you would show your hostility towards him so brazenly."

She closes her eyes for a second. "But, remote villages such as yours usually have defenses to ward off bandits like that. Did you ever figure out who betrayed your village?" Nirian asks, bluntly. Were you even aware of that fact?

With a downright offended expression, Nirian continues. "Also, I do not read fortunes, shorty. That is something charlatans do. Besides, is it not true that this power isn't even your own? Your arrogance seems to rise several notches once you don that armor. Try to not let this be your ondoing, will you. After all, the reason you took up the sword is because you care, isn't it? Do try not to forget about it."

Sentinel

"You do seem to have a good heart." she notes. "From what I've heard, you're not alone in that within your family. Your grandfather also has a great reputation. However... your father doesn't seem to have the best. You know why that is, but do you believe it?"

With a tilted head bearing the expression of someone expecting something amusing to happen soon, Nirian awaits your answer almost a bit too eagerly..

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 27, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lady Fury

"You gave a very mature and thought out answer, Lady Lindenhall. It shows that your appearance has not changed who you truly are. I approve." Nirian praises you for your answer. "But, I ca-- ... no, nevermind." she starts to add, but quickly stops herself.

"Please forgive that blunder. Instead, wouldn't you say that your new form has been proving surprisingly useful? There's already a lot of good you've done you'd never would have been able to do as your old self, is there not?" she asks you, with a more genuine smile than usual.

"That's very kind of you to say." This rather bland pleasantry is delivered with a surprising level of conviction, and Lady Fury chances eye contact again; it would seem she's quite surprised by the praise. "... ah? If there's something you need to ask me, you can ask me. I understand that you can't always be completely kind."

That said, she seems quite happy enough to answer the question that the Oracle actually asks, instead of whatever question or statement was left unsaid. "Oh, yes, there was one particular incident, not long after I arrived in Arklan -- the fire in the Sage's Spire, if you remember? There was some sort of alchemical accident, and one of the upper laboratories was in flames, with students trapped inside. I... I didn't do it on my own, of course -- there were many of the Order there, and I was hardly the hero of the day -- but I was able to glide from the windows to the ground while carrying a few of the smaller students, one at a time. It would have been handier if I could properly fly; I can't, yet. But these clumsy wings still did some good."

Flamander
May 4, 2009

Yami Fenrir posted:

A few minutes later, some new arrivals liven up the place!

... Unfortunately, one of them is Nirian. Again. "Sorry about that! I had to take care of something really quick." she apologizes.

Round 2
Living Armor

"To come back to our earlier discussion, I must say I don't really understand that line of thinking. Maybe I'm just jaded, who knows, but in a way that sounds like the good old argument of form over function to me, does it not? You would want back the need for food and drink just so you can experience eating food and drink." she tells you. "Do you know how many people suffer or die from starvation, every day? ... No, I shouldn't tell you. You'd just end up like me." she says, with an unusually serious look on your face.

"Are you sure you're not a noble? Because your desire is fairly close to the complete wastefulness they practice. Trust me, a lot of people would love to rid themselves of the need for food and drink."

Living Armor sighs, before he glances away. "To be honest, it isn't at all the eating itself... rather, it's the process. You're supposed to sit down; share a drink and a meal with the people you're friends with frequently. You get that sort of thinking when you grow up in the 'Iron Ox' bar. So, yes... you are right. I do want my ability to taste food and drink back - but not so I can waste away, eating food." He chuckles. "I certainly would if I could, do not get me wrong; but it wasn't meant to be. Rather, if I'm aiming to become a Knight, then I've got to be comrades with my fellow Pages... correct?" He turns his head back to Nirian. "It's been my belief for a while now that those mealtimes are also the most vital time for building a solid sense of teamwork." His eyes glow with reminiscence. "I've seen many a group of adventurers at the Ox get drunk and share merriment... and they all seem to hold together as good groups."

Living Armor fidgets for a short while, eventually dropping his arms and looking in her direction. "In any case, I feel... excluded from the group, because of my inability to consume properly and dream. If I get my body back - then I'll be able to connect with my teammates easier. Realistically... that's the reason." He continued on, eagerly, not taking offense to the insult. "As to your other question... I can't say I know for sure. My father definitely isn't a noble... but my mother ran away when I was very young." He raises a gauntlet-ed finger, lowering it after his sentence. "I don't remember her that well, and Father doesn't say much about her." If Armor was still in a human body, he'd be biting his lip. "...it could be a possibility, I suppose."

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

Anti (ˈanˌtī)
• How did you get your powers?

• What do you do for fun?

• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

• Which one of the Knights (or Squires) took notice of you?

• How did you get inducted into the Order of the Round Table?

• Why do you try to be a hero?

HERO NAME
REAL NAME (IF DIFFERENT):
Look
• ambiguous, shifting, transgressing
• Black, Hispanic/Latino, Indigenous
• laughing eyes, untrusting eyes
• casual clothing, rebellious clothing, garish clothing
• no costume
Your powers are messy, deceiving, or frustrating. Choose two.
❑ psychic weapons
❑ power negation

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If
they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or
spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and
ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a
teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

POTENTIAL >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑ >>>>❑
Every time you roll a miss on a move, mark potential.

Advancement
When you fill your potential track, you advance. Choose from the list below.
❑ Take another move from your playbook
❑ Take another move from your playbook
❑ Take a move from another playbook
❑ Take a move from another playbook
❑ Someone permanently loses Influence over you;
add +1 to a Label
❑ Rearrange your Labels as you choose, and add
+1 to a Label
❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth
❑ Add +1 to any two Labels
When you’ve taken five advances from the top list, you can take advances from the list below.
❑ Unlock your Moment of Truth after you’ve used it
once
❑ Change playbooks
❑ Take an adult move
❑ Take an adult move
❑ Lock a Label, and add +1 to a Label of your
choice
❑ Retire from the life or become a paragon of the
city

Other Moves

Extras

Labels
(at character creation, add +1 wherever you choose)
0 FREAK
0 DANGER
-1 SAVIOR
+3 SUPERIOR
+1 MUNDANE

Conditions
❑ Afraid (-2 to directly engage)
❑ Angry (-2 to comfort or support or pierce the mask)
❑ Guilty (-2 to provoke someone or assess the situation)
❑ Insecure (-2 to defend someone or reject what others say)
❑ Hopeless (-2 to unleash your powers)

Backstory
• How did you get your powers?
• What do you do for fun?
• Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?
• Why do you try to be a hero?

Once you’ve finished your backstory, introduce your character to the other players, and then
determine what happened when your team first came together, the relationships between you and
your teammates, and who has Influence over you.

We totally broke some major rules to win the fight. What rules did we break? Whose rules were
they?

Relationships
You keep trying to impress _________________ with your antics.
You and ________________ pulled an awesome (if illegal) stunt together.

Influence
You care way more than you let on. Give three teammates Influence over you.

Delinquent Moves
(Choose three)
❑ I don’t care what you think!: Whenever you
reject others’ Influence, add +2 to your roll.
❑ Team? What team?: When you use Team
selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The
first time in a session that you use Team to help
a teammate, take +1 forward.
❑ Criminal mind: When you assess the situation,
you can always ask one of the following
questions, even on a miss:
- what here is useful or valuable to me?
- how could I best infuriate or provoke
_______?
- what’s the best way in/way past?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Yami Fenrir posted:

Lord Vane Drake

"Again, a very mature answer. My apologizes to dragging you back to there, milord. But... on the other hand, I do sincerely hope you never are able to completely let go of that feeling. For I feel it is that very feeling, guilt, that separates us from animals. Is it not? Much like a wolf feels no guilt after preying on sheep, the Bloodied Blade feels none when he fights and kills."

For a moment, she stares off, seemingly into the distance. "As you are probably well aware, I am a pacifist. It isn't that I don't have the capability to, but I simply cannot stomach harming another living being. However, that does not mean I do not understand the necessity for warriors such as you. And yet, I find that violence has become the go-to solution instead of the last resort. I am glad we can agree on the matter.

She briefly looks away from, you, only for a grin to return, but you can still make out that her expression is softer, betraying that her mood has improved.

"But, enough about boring old me. How's the family? Any power plays you missed while you were gone?"

Vane nods, "Your point is well made, Lady Nirian. We are men and women, not animals. The days when blood need be shed to see justice done should be past." He grips his spear's haft a bit more tightly. "There are some that words may not reach, though, and it the job of those like me to see that they do not have the freedom to do with the innocent as they please." He smiles, perhaps a bit sadly, then looks Nirian in the eye. "I hope you can see a future in which my spear is no longer necessary. You may certainly count on it, and me, to help such events come to pass."

When the conversation turns back to his family, Vane looks thoughtful for a moment, "I can't really say what Aethul and my lord father have been up to. I'd imagine the usual array of feasts, hunts, and holding court. Nothing that they would feel the need to tell me about. Aethul has my father's ear in many matters, including my membership in the Order, and my aunt forcing the issue was something that he'll surely hold against me. I expect no succor from that pair. Adwin has begun his apprenticeship with the church. He sends me letters from time to time, though he's still quite sore that I got nominated to the Order instead of him." Vane shrugs. "It's for the best, really. I remember the last time we went hunting together. I think I spent more time dodging his wild shots than tracking game. I imagine he'll forgive me soon enough. The Church's libraries are incredibly vast and I'm sure that even the most pious still indulge in their secret vices. He's chummy enough to make inroads with the right sort to ensure his tastes for the finer things in life will be met."

"As for power plays..." His brow narrows in concentration. "I've heard something of a marriage being arranged between Aethul and some noblewoman. I can't remember much about that at the moment, but something did strike me as odd about it. I believe I heard some talk about the station being all wrong? I'm sorry I can't be more specific than that, I've been rather focused on training over the last few weeks. I look around and I see these incredibly talented individuals. Some have strength of arms, some possess uncanny constitutions. Others still can manipulate the very fabric of our realm! I don't wish to fall behind. My spear need be both sharp and true to shield the innocent from those that would harm them."

Tricky fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Hi here's a half-complete app.
e: After talking /w Yami, I'm gonna re-write this intro so it just doesn't dump the identity reveal IC out-front, so a lot of this will prolly change

Azure Shroud, The Janus

"Hark!" a short, hooded figure dashes into the examination room, announcing themselves with the theatrical flair one might expect from a royal herald or stage actor. "Lords and Ladies! Allow me to introduce myself! I am none other than the Azure Shroud!"

They draw their sword and start swinging it around in a series of flashy swings, spins, and strikes. They don't resemble anything that might be taught in any local practical sword-fighting school. "Witness the talents of the up-and-coming page! An untrained eye might mistake these moves as merely self-taught, but do not be fooled! These moves are descended from the famous sword masters of the East!"

Fortunately, (or perhaps unfortunately) you know enough to tell that this is probably completely untrue. Flashy but uncoordinated moves like Azure's are a hallmark of self-teaching.

"I fight for honor, fame, chivalry, and to..." Azure stops swinging their sword, then gives you a determined, solemn stare. Like someone about to pledge something as valuable as their life. "...escape my mysterious past."

Azure shakes their head suddenly, and apologetically. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I said too much. I shouldn't burden you with my troubles. It would be too much to ask, especially for one with a cursed destiny such as myself." They let out a tiny gasp. "Did I say curse? Oh, now I've done it again. Now I've said too much..."

Azure turns their head to the side and looks down at the ground. They do definitely seem nervous, but something seems off... "I really should not say anything..."

An uncomfortable silence falls upon the room, which only makes Azure even more fidgety. It seems like they actually don't want to talk about that past they hinted so strongly at.

"C-could we- um..." Azure stammers, turning a bit red under their veil. "Could we move on to the practical exam? ...No? W-well then..."

"I guess I have no choice but to tell the truth, then..." Azure looks towards the door. "...Just give me a minute to get changed."

Gwynedd, The Janus

About a minute after Azure leaves, someone else enters. A maid of about the same height, and hair and eye color, but of a meek demeanor. "Hello," her eyes briefly drop to the ground, but then she quickly brings them back up and looks you in the eye. "My name is Gwynedd ferch Gawain, or Gwynedd, daughter of Gawain. But you can call me Gwyn or Gwynedd. My family's not important."

She casts her eyes down at the floor again. "Or you can just call me the Maid, if you prefer. It makes no difference."

Gwyn lets out a quiet sigh. "I'm just a humble peasant and a servant. Azure Shroud is just a character I made up. She's all the things that I'm not. She's confident -- like a character out of a book, and brash, and kind of egotistical. But she sort of knows it, and she's okay with it. Because when you're someone like her that kind of thing works."

"...As long as people don't know the truth."

"In reality I'm just... somebody trying desperately to stay afloat. Trying to balance too many plates. In the mornings I work for Lord Wainwright, as a maid and domestic servant, doing all sorts of tasks, and in the afternoon I'm [TODO: think up more secret identity tasks], and then in the evening and nights I finally get the chance to play the role of the Azure Shroud, honing my combat skills and building my reputation as this talented and mysterious young Page."

"All in all, this lasts from before Sunrise to well past Sunset. Which, if you're paying attention, leaves only a few hours for sleep." Gwyn sighs, then puts on a stoic expression. "It is a good thing that there are so many strong herbal teas available in this city. Otherwise I'd no doubt succumb to exhaustion."

When did you first put on the mask? Why?

"A few months ago, I happened to be taking a walk through the woods. It was supposed to be a simple afternoon of berry-picking..."

(TODO: Origin story probably involving helping out a fairy and getting a supernatural gift)

Why do you keep a secret identity?

"Because, well, nobody has ever told a legend about a peasant. Heroes have emerged from humble origins before, but at the end they always discover they have some sort of secret noble lineage or divine destiny."

"But a Hero that was just honestly born as a commoner? Nobody's interested in that. That's not how the world works. If you're born with some special fate or blood, you'll go far. But common people are simply destined to live common lives."

(TODO: words about how Gwynedd feels about feudalism. Maybe also a need to not draw attention from her noble employer(and/or her family???).)

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?

(TODO: Gwynedd owes money to a moneylender/merchant at a guild because hero gear is expensive and stuff.)

Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?

quote:

Playbook: The Janus

Heroic Name: Azure Shroud (Or, if you want to be dramatic, The Azure Shroud)

Heroic Look: Ambiguous, concealing armor, veiled hood, mysterious expression
Normal Look: Woman, maidservant's clothing, humble expression

Abilities: Your appearance is unchanged by your abilities, and you can keep your powers hidden.
You have heightened physical abilities (strength, agility, toughness), and...
-Supernatural Senses
-Impossible Mobility (Acrobatics)

Starting Labels:
Freak: -1
Savior: 0
Mundane: +3

Moves posted:

The Mask:
You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask:
Superior
Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label.

When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

I am what you see:
When you spend time talking to someone about your identity, you can ask them which Label they want to impose on you; their player will tell you honestly.
If you accept what they tell you, take +1 forward and either mark potential or clear a condition.

Mild-Mannered:
When you try to use your civilian identity to deceive, trick, or slip past someone, roll + Mundane.
On a hit they buy your facade.
On a 7-9, choose one:
-you’re still under observation
- you leave something incriminating behind
- you’re forced to make a fool of yourself to sell it

On a miss, one of your civilian obligations rears its ugly head.

Secret Identity:
Your mundane life comes with a series of obligations. Choose a total of three obligations.

Working as a housemaid for a noble family, paying off debts from moneylenders,

Relationships:
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence:
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Takanago fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 29, 2017

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Marcus, the Newborn

Mark-6. A long, long time ago. Maybe?

--

Fed by a single beam of light, I stirred. Panicked by it’s fading, I struggled. I opened the box that held me, stumbling to my feet in armor so rusted it disintegrated as I moved. Searching for the light (gods, I didn’t even know what the sun was), I walked away from my own grave.

Or, was it my birth place? The... thing(?) that was buried there had knowledge, skill, history -- all things that like I lack. He was a person, and I’m nothing but a babe.

quote:

I’m very lucky that it was Avagran who responded to the report of a ‘zombie’ walking out of the Old Mausoleum.

He’s quite the scholar, and it was only his curiosity that led to the discovery of my true nature before I was ‘exorcised’ by a pure fire. He housed me for quite some time after my ‘birth’, and taught me how to speak and write.

He knows so much, while I know so little. He’s… impressive, and I love him. 

Wait, I’m missing something. I love him… filially? Like a parent? Normally when I have difficulty with words I ask him, but for reason it’s very difficult for me to ask him about this. I feel a -- flushing warmth whenever I consider it? 

quote:

Who created you, and why?

That is something I wish I knew.

The grave I was buried in had an inscription on it -- Marcus --, and that’s where my name comes from. Following that lead, Avagran poured through his sources, and found one mention of ‘me’:

...and thyre too was Marc-sicks, a Warrior from Latium. With thyse forces arrayed, they fell upon the…

That’s it. That’s all he’s been able to find. I was a warrior -- which makes logical sense, given that I’m made of iron -- but otherwise? Nothing. Of course, it’s not as if Avagran’s personal library has a copy of everything. There might be more out there, but even as I’ve learned to speak again, no memories have come to me. All I have is that single statement -- I was a warrior, and hoping for more than that is starting to seem foolish.

Immediately after he read me that passage, I told Avagran that I wanted to join the Round Table. He looked at me for a long time, but eventually agreed. What was he thinking when I said that? I don’t know. I don’t know anything.

quote:

How is your biology different from normal humans’?

To start; I’m made of metal.

And I don’t eat food, instead, I seem to eat sunlight? I definitely become more sluggish at night, and can enter a state of ‘sleep’ just like Avagran (and other people? I don’t know. He’s the only one I’ve seen sleeping at night, but I believe others do as well.) does. 

Actually, that’s his theory on why I woke up. The ceiling of the Old Mausoleum cracked a while back due to an earthquake, and let in a slit of sunlight right over my grave. If it wasn’t for that chance happening, I’d be dead forever? And if I go to a truly dark place, will I eventually fall once into a neverending sleep? If someone wakes up up, will I have any memories of how I am now?

Thinking these thoughts makes me rattle uncontrollably. Avagran called it fear. I do my best to avoid it.

quote:

Where do you live?
Avagran’s home. Or the Knight-In-Training barracks. I’m not really invited back to my old… bed… at the mausoleum, and I wouldn’t want to go back there anyways. 

quote:

What about humanity fascinates you the most?

Everything? I suppose that is, to quote Avagran, “An answer so broad as to be worthless”, but it is also the truth. At the start of my life, I knew nothing. Literally nothing, and it was only by observing humans that I became anything. How could I be uninterested in the things that shaped me?

I suppose if I had to pick one thing that stands out, it’d be… Humans come from other humans, correct? Avagran’s mother visited once, and I pointed at her stomach and asked Avagran “You came from there, correct?” She laughed, but apparently that was rude. I felt very bad when I realized that.

So… how do humans consider those they came from? Because I don’t know where I came from. Except I do -- I learned all I know from Avagran’s teachings, yet that is not truly my origin. Or is it? I do not know. I am confused. I hope by observing others I will find an answer.

quote:

They are humans, and Avagran told me to care for all humans. 

But more than that, they are warriors. Like the old me was. I am sure that if I study them, if I watch them closely and do what they do -- I will learn how to be a warrior as well.

quote:

Well, after talking to some other humans -- why do they call it an Inter-View if they only look at the outside of you? -- I was brought to an Obstacle Course. It was the first time I had heard the words put together, and I quickly lost track of what the Instructor was telling me.

“Start!” he yelled, I stood in place. There was a period of silence. I turned to Avagran, “What am I to do?” I asked.

“Get to the other side!” He said.

So I walked. I walked into an area where, at certain points, sharpened rods of metal would come up from the ground. My metal was stronger than them, so my footsteps blunted them.

I walked through a section where wooden shafts with metal trian-- ah, I know the word! Arrows! Arrows would fly out intermittently. They did little to me.

There was a moat. I moved slower through the water, but emerged on the other side without significant issue. While within the water I saw several interesting creatures that appeared to made of greenish leather, with long snouts. They ignored me, for I am not made of meat. I made a note to ask Avagran about such things later.

There was a wall of flame. I walked through it.

Then I reached the end. I turned back to Avagran and the Instructor, “Was that good?” I said loudly, no, yelled from across the yard. Avagran was laughing with tears in his eyes, which seemed contradictory to me? “Yes!” he shouted back, “Yes! It was very good!”

I was very confused, but happy. Later that day, I became a Knight-in-training.

After the Official Nerborn Playbook release; Marcus literally had no moves! Everything is different now!

quote:

Hero Name: Marcus 'Marc'
Real name (if You Have One (Unknown to Marcus)): Mark-Six
Look: Man, Metal Skin, Plain Clothing, Your Own Skin

Marcus Now.

Abilities: Your powers are based on your unique physical configuration. Choose 2 and describe how they are part of your body.

- Solid Light Projections - Solar tools.
- Elemental Form - Being a Robot

LABELS

FREAK +2
DANGER +1
SAVIOUR +0
SUPERIOR +2
MUNDANE -2

Newborn Moves:

Thermodynamic Miracle: When you comfort or support someone by telling them what makes them unique, roll + Freak instead of Mundane. If they open up to you, shift Freak up and Mundane down. If they don’t, mark a condition.

Damage: You get an additional condition called Damaged. While marked, take +1 to take a powerful blow. To clear the Damaged condition, you need time, external help, or special equipment or abilities.

A New Life:

Blank slate: You were created with a basic understanding of the world. When you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down as a lesson. Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in the other two when you’ve learned those lessons during play
□ I am A Warrior
□ A knight should Know As Much As Possible
Always try to understand what drives your opponents.
Never _____

When you embody one of your lessons, shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. If you cause a misunderstanding, collateral damage, or unintended consequences in the process, mark potential. When you reject one of your lessons, reject its Influence as if it were an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that lesson and write a new one in its stead.

When you approach your creator or caretakers with a problem, tell them what obstacle you face or what you need to achieve, and they will offer you something you need. The GM chooses one:
• secret information
• a way to temporarily boost or expand your powers
• access to instruments, weapons, or resources
• official and explicit backing

If you accept their help, they rewrite one of your lessons for you.

Moment of Truth
Something snaps into focus, and suddenly you’re a full thing, true and complete. You’d never have known how fragmented you were before, if not for here, this moment. You’re not a series of individual lessons. You’re not a series of subroutines and programs. You’re...a person. This must be what it’s like to be...human. And this fullness? It gives you a control over yourself, a unity of purpose you’ve never experienced before. Of course, now that you’re showing off all your potential, it’s only a matter of time before someone comes forward to reduce you to a machine again...

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone<, ask them what makes them proud or happy about the actions they took and write a lesson based on it, either filling an empty slot or replacing an existing lesson.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response helps you understand human feelings and problems, mark potential. If their response confuses or offends you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Relationships

Ghorza is an exemplary human(!?!); they show you around and tell you how things work.
The behavior of Matakite confuses you again and again; you’re determined to understand humanity better by studying them

Influence

You’re receptive to how people think and behave around you. Give influence to all of
your teammates.

Scrree fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 11, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

”The Wandijana are chosen by Maka, the god beneath the world, to serve as a bulwark against the dangers of the twenty-three worlds. They are free to step between the planes, to find threats from the burning skies to Night’s Gate, to step through the mad city of Worldport, and act as Maka’s hand in the preservation of our fragile sphere…”

- Sir Meinrad, Royal Court Scholar overseeing The 7th Library, The Library of Esoteria

Twenty-three worlds? I can barely deal with this world most of the time. Pretty sure that Maka is a myth, I mean, what kind of god doesn’t have a temple? Even if she does exist, it’s not like she asked to give me this power. And now, I have to go and join some order of knights to learn “humility and control” just because I… look, it doesn’t matter, it’s not fair. I mean, Harvesthall is only two weeks away! There’s dancing and decorations and spicecakes and they won’t even wait? This is the worst.

I don’t want to shame my family, I’ll put on a brave face, but between you and me? This stinks.

When did you first use your powers?

Sometimes I got lost in strange ways when I was young, or talk to things nobody else could see, or dreamed of strange places… but my parents didn’t take it seriously, of course. At least until destroyed the kitchen when I made it into a tiny Pyrerealm. I don’t even remember what I was angry about. Mostly I just remember how scared my parents looked. I didn’t mean to do anything! But I keep getting treated like I did. Mother never really understood magic. I mean, she tried really hard, but... dad didn't know what to do, I think, other than try and teach me through stories.

They brought in the local mage guildmeister to the chateau... and… well, he got the same look on his face. I don’t know what he said to my parents, but I think they paid him a lot of money to try and tutor me...to

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?

… but I had a really hard time. They tried to bind my magic at first with sigils, but it didn’t work. The wards just kind of fell apart like wet leaves because all the power was coming from inside. And trying to train me to do normal chants was like trying to teach a behemoth to do calligraphy. Storms were easy - a spark was hard! It's really hard for me to do regular spells. It’s like my power just wants to take over. Instead of a spark, I tended up making a stormlight that shocked my teacher and almost burned the guildhall down.

I… um.... I didn’t mean to... you know that, right?... do you have other questions?

Who, outside the team, can help you control your powers?

Well, there’s Ketill.

He found me on behalf of the Round Table after they heard about the accident at the guildhall - though he’s not a member - and helped me out a lot. He’s the one that told me about the Wandijana myth, and tried to tell me I was special. I don’t know about that, but it’s like things are calmer around him, like I’ve got somebody helping me keep my balance. Still, there’s something in his eyes, like… he’s looking over his shoulder. He doesn’t stick around for very long - I wish he would let me go with him, to teach me more, but he keeps saying that’s a very bad idea. Well, so is me not being able to control my powers! Ugh!

Why do you continue to use your powers?

I can’t… not use my powers. It’s like asking somebody why they use their arms or hands, even though arms or hands can do some really dangerous things. Like Ketill says, if I don’t practice them it won’t get any better. I’m learning not to be afraid, I’m getting better. It’s even kind of fun now, some of the tricks I can do. Like, I can bring up a shard of the Aerrealm and float, or sit on a cloud. I can summon fundamentals to help out around the quarters. (They're fun, also elementals.) I can once got a feather from the Seven Heavens. But I have to be careful, it’s like trying to fill a thimble from a bucket, and I have to keep some focus or… well, I can’t think about that. I can’t think about that. It falls apart if I’m afraid, so I can’t be afraid anymore. It's my power, it's mine to control. It's mine. My power. Mine. Me. Mine. Focus.

Nnnngh I’m doing so much better! Why do I have to go away?!

Back home, my family was parvenu nobility, not noble blood. My mother had been given a title thanks to her research in the natural sciences and inventions, and… you end up between. Blooded nobles don’t like us because we’re upstarts and a lot of common folk see us as fakers, too. But the other pages don’t know that here. So it’s like getting to start over. I still want to be home, but… I mean… but I’m not going to be stuck here and lonely. None of them know what I can do, and they don’t have to. All I have to do is keep control! That… sounds easy enough… right? I just need confidence, a good smile, and no freakouts.

I mean, it's a new chance not to make the same mistakes. I'm so much better and people don't need to know how I screwed up.

I guess Ketill spoke to the Sage Zolim and convinced him to put in an invite for me… though I get the impression they actually don’t get along so well. Something in the way they say each other’s names. But my parents agreed without even asking me! It’s like they want to get rid of me! Well, fine.

Anyway, I guess Ketill is going away for a long time and wouldn’t be around to look after me, but I’m still trying to practice normal spells like he taught, just to try and help my control. I’ve been trying to work with a spellbook again, it’s like trying to focus my magic into a tiny bottle. Sometimes the bottle breaks, but I’m trying. I’m trying so hard. Why am I getting punished for this?

I'm not going to let this beat me. I'm going to show them all how far I've come, they won't even recognize me when I come home!

Sir Enguerrand (the “Pale Fire”, ugh) looks at me like I’ve done… something… I know that look, I’ve seen it too much. He kept asking me about a contract and just giving me that look again when I tell him I don’t know anything! He keeps dragging me out for extra practice or patrols and I hate him. I guess he may be some big hero but to me he’s more like a villain. It’s like he wants me to screw up!

I didn't make a deal with a god, I was too young, I mean, I had all sorts of weird things show up in my dreams, but... I mean...

... oh sod.

pre:
Signý Amalasuintha, the Gateway

Playbook: The Nova

Freak +2	Danger +1	Savior +0	Superior +0	Mundane +0

Abilities

Planecaller: Signý can summon extraplanar matter and energy and manipulate it, though the more matter or power she
calls upon, the harder it is to shape or even direct. She can also summon beings, but with similar limitations on
control. She can also draw upon the physical laws of other planes to temporarily overwrite those of the local area, 
though this can easily cause fallout or collateral damage if done broadly.

Moves

Burn: When you charge up your powers, roll +Team. On a hit, hold 3 Burn. On a 7-9, burn a Team, or mark a condition if
you have no Team. On a miss, hold 2 Burn, and either burn 3 Team or mark two conditions.

FlaresReality Storm Planar Flux: You channel a destructive burst with your powers. Spend 1 Burn to directly engage a threat
using your powers, rolling + Freak instead of + Danger. If you do, you will cause unwanted collateral damage unless you
spend another Burn.

❑ Constructs Unworldly Ally: Spend up to 3 Burn to create a construct that will obey your orders. Each Burn you spend
gives the construct an additional condition it can mark, choose: Broken, Stunned, Confused, Fragile, Weakened. The
construct is only good for physical actions. When the construct would trigger a move, roll + the Burn spent in its
creation (max +3) instead of the normal Label. At the end of any scene, the construct dissipates.

❑ Move Port-cut: Spend 1 Burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any 
barriers or restraints in your way.

❑ Overcharge Dimensional Fusion: You let loose with the full torrent of your powers without restraint. Spend 1 Burn and
mark a condition to take a 10+ on unleashing your powers.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you see fear in their eyes. If they say no, take +1
forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how you think they can stop you. Give them Influence
over you, and clear a Condition.

Moment of Truth: It’s like your mind’s eye opens up, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can
control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment
of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?
Suggest a thread title.

Knight Classes. (The other ones were much, much worse.)

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 6, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Great Noble Houses of the Realm

quote:

House Drake

Located on the north-eastern border region facing the Kingdom of Narz, House Drake holds many fertile and rich provinces, such as the infamous Sommerlund, which is often fought over. Despite the constant wars, the provinces are surprisingly prosperous, largely due to the fertility of the land that is often the reason said land is fought over in the first place. Lately, however, the Kingdom of Narz has stopped their constant attempts to annex Sommerlund, which is largely credited to Nirian's precognitive abilities preventing them from succeeding.

Notable Members:
Margrave Blance Auturnia, also known as 'the Lightblade'
Duke Kincaid Sommerlund
Lord Vane Drake, also known as 'the Ranseur of Sommerlund

quote:

House Welf

Located on the northern border reagion facing the Northern Tundra, House Welf holds many coastal provinces, including the province of Highwater, safeguarding the strait leading to the Northern Tundra. Often being the target of barbarian raids, the region is still recovering from the last set of raids. However, under the guidance of Magus Joram, the fortification effort has accellerated significantly.

Notable Members:
Duke Zelgim Highwater
Lord Heinrich Welf

quote:

House Lindenhall

Situated in a mountainous region, House Lindenhall controls most of the iron, silver, and gold mines of the kingdom. With their wealth and influence, they have spread quite far, and are widely considered the most powerful House in the kingdom. However, it is also a House heavily divided, with its many, many scions holding onto seperate pieces of their territory. Indeed, while they are quite powerful, they are unlikely to agree on any one matter, but they are nevertheless a sleeping giant not to wake.

Notable Members:
Duke Caelum Lindenhall
Baron Joseph Stormhall, also known as 'Harpybane'
Lady Caecilia Lindenhall, also known as 'Lady Fury'
Lord-Magus Thomas Lindenhall

More to come as apps complete/picks are made/I feel like doing them.

While you were still talking to Nirian, some more fresh recruits come in. Nirian turns to them with an almost predatory grin....

Matakite

"Ah, hello there, Matakite." she greets you. "Seems like you've recovered well from our little duel of precognition."

Waiting for your reaction, she continues. "Oh, don't be so surprised. Of course it was my meddling that led you here. I knew when Helivan would get greedy and edge too close, and when he'd consult your visions, so I simply waited until afterwards to order our wind mages to alter the weather. And well, you know the rest."

But I hear you've made some new friends to replace those unsavory fellows! Just try not to fall into the wrong crowds again, yes? Oh, no need to tell me about them. Instead, tell me more about Helivan. You know him a lot closer than most people. What exactly made him so powerful? You know it wasn't just you."

Don't forget your villain contacts!

Markus

"Ah, Markus. Hello there. I'm the Oracle of Arwintar. That means I can see the future. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about the past. But, sadly, very few people actually do care about the past. It's a sad state of affairs. So very few people actually learn from their mistakes. Personally, I find the past a very intriguing matter, but perhaps it is because the future is an open book for me." she muses.

"Speaking of which, I have been looking into yours some. There is, however, very little to be found. So far, I have only managed to find an old title, that of 'Old Iron Knight'. As in, that being the full title. It seems that even in Latium, you have been around for quite a while." she explains.

She briefly closes her eyes. "But, listen to me, rambling on like that. Do you even care about your past?"

Signý Amalasuintha

"My, that is a very interesting outfit you have there, Signy. Love the bunny ears, especially. I'm somewhat curious if the higher-ups are going to be alright with that, but I never really cared what they think." she notes. "So, you do planeshifting, yes? A very interesting subject matter, I find. You ever been to the spirit world? Lovely place. No humans in it to ruin the beauty of it all. Ahem."

After a brief moment of pondering, she continues. "Well, I'm a boring one-dimensional oracle, so I can't see onto the other planes. Do tell me about that misadventure you had in another plane last month, if you would?"

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 13, 2017

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Yami Fenrir posted:

Rat

"Just wanted to say, well recited! Would be better if you actually believed it, but we can't all be perfect." she shuts down your earlier statement. "But, what did those noble scions say to you that actually hurt so much? How did it turn so sour?" she asks, tilting her head. "I'll admit, I'm mostly asking this so your future comrades know~. After all, accidentally angering someone only leads to disaster. But you would know that. After all, you've got experience with that, right?"

He takes a deep breath, lets it out. "Alright. Roger and Ethan were friendly fellows at first. Took me into their confidence, told a few jokes that were a bit off color, but nothing you wouldn't hear in the stables or barracks. They hold themselves above others. They were very adept at noticing things about people, the way Lord Drumlin holds his hands, the way Lady Reed's peplum was out of place, the way his Lordship the Grand Duke of Kitt can never pronounce Ss without slurring. And so, inevitably, as the party grew, so did their targets. They knocked Lady Hermonia for her slouched posture and far too casual attitude towards etiquette, even though everyone else laughed it off because of how friendly she is. They insulted the widow Lady Grantholm for seeming a little overeager for the Duke of Runnings attention, both in her manners and her dress. They'd do it with one another, not loud enough that others would overhear, but for their own amusement, sticking to the edges of the crowd.

"I suppose, in retrospect, it's inevitable that they would turn their sights on me. As things wound down, people moved to different rooms for sherry, smoking, conversation, who else was there to talk about? Who else hadn't they already spoken of? Admittedly, my hands are those of a peasant. They aren't soft or uncalloused. And there is a scar running from behind my ear and down my neck, though it is usually hidden beneath my hair and collar. And no, my eyes aren't blue, like much of the nobility have. And no, I'm not as quick with words as I could be. I'm not good at joking, or understanding sarcasm. And perhaps I don't get every single allusion or reference, because I don't have every royal genealogy and famous novel memorized. And no, I haven't traveled the world and seen all sorts of exotic places and peoples."

He takes another breath, and seems to calm down a bit, his speech slowing back down. "But that's because I'm doing things that are more important."

"Yes, anger, anger isn't very helpful.

"I..." he looks down, blushing. "I once, clumsily, knocked over a vase that belonged to Archduke Meres. I should have been paying more attention to where I was, and what I was doing, because situational awareness is what keeps you alive. His castellan, Poshtun, was furious. He yelled, and yelled, and yelled. Cuffed me on the back of the head a few times, as well.

"There was so much dust on the thing, I doubt it had been cleaned at in years, let alone looked at. But telling him that just made him angrier. I'd never seen someone so attached to something that they probably didn't even remember they owned. He raised his hand again, and, without thinking, I had my knife, one of my knives, these meaningless, nameless tools that can be discarded at will, that I feel no attachment or nostalgia towards, I had it at his neck, and shoved his head back against the wall, our boots grinding the vase further into powder. I told him if he called for the guards, I'd slit his throat. I demanded to know what was on the vase, what design. He couldn't tell me. I asked how much it was worth. He couldn't tell me. Who had made it, when it was from, how it had come into the Duke's possession. He couldn't tell me a thing about it. 'Then it's as if it didn't exist, isn't it?'

"It was foolish of me, and I am ashamed even thinking about it. There haven't been any consequences, which, in retrospect, makes it feel even worse. It was years ago, but youth is no excuse for behavior. Tempers are for metals, not people. And the idea that he is aware that I am not who I seem is all the more worrying."

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Yami Fenrir posted:

Red Errant

"Oh, that is certainly true that I care little about subtlety. However, it doesn't appear to be your forte, either." she replies, the grin resurfacing with little trace of her good mood from earlier. "I do have to admit, you actually surprised me, as rare as that is. I'm not sure what I'm more surprised of, though - the fact that you don't even know the name of the noble you are paying taxes to, or that you would show your hostility towards him so brazenly."

She closes her eyes for a second. "But, remote villages such as yours usually have defenses to ward off bandits like that. Did you ever figure out who betrayed your village?" Nirian asks, bluntly. Were you even aware of that fact?

With a downright offended expression, Nirian continues. "Also, I do not read fortunes, shorty. That is something charlatans do. Besides, is it not true that this power isn't even your own? Your arrogance seems to rise several notches once you don that armor. Try to not let this be your ondoing, will you. After all, the reason you took up the sword is because you care, isn't it? Do try not to forget about it."

Lilly looked away like she couldn't care. Her expression unreadable. "For a self professed pacifist, you seem awfully keen to get punched in the face..."

Beneath the armour though? She was sweating. Betrayed? Defences? Why was she never told about these things? Where were they when the bandits moved it? The only explanation was that they'd been removed, and the bandits had moved in. Maybe they were moved in BY their noble. It wasn't impossible. Her father had always tried to keep her away from the village centre whenever the nobles did come to visit. She'd heard there'd been trouble on one visit. But no one would tell her what! Was it her fault they kept her in the dark?! If only her father hadn't been so stubborn to protect her!

Then there was the fact her power wasn't her own. Yet it was. It affected her, how she thought, how she fought. If she was honest with herself, it scared her a little. She wasn't nearly so confrontational outside the armour, when she wasn't holding the sword. But when she held the sword....! She felt unstoppable! Invincible! Always ready for a fight. Always ready to fight the good fight. She didn't want to dislike this girl. But the sword, Pater, felt different. It was hard to remove herself of the blade's thoughts, especially like this.

And so what if she was short? She was young, she had time to grow! She wasn't like this old woman who was clearly already past her prime! Ah! Dammit Pater! Stop messing around! It was hard enough to think nice things about this woman without the weapon's interjecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Withdrawing

• Locked thread