Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Cake Attack posted:

via loving around in directories for the cold steel 3 site people were able to find character names that hadn't been revealed yet. the main point of interest is that Tita, Randy and Towa are all listed as Thors II characters. Tita's probably a student (but who knows about the other two)

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/844373678380875776

... I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
If this Tita is Sky Tita, I guess we'll know who'll be taking over the orbal factory duties now that George is presumably on his trip across the continent. It'll be interesting to see her as a 16-year old.

Who wants to bet Tita's mom sent her abroad in an attempt to get her away from Agate? :haw:

If Randy is Randy from the Crossbell games, that'd probably get the Japanese fanbase excited, though he's unlikely to ring much of a bell. Not sure what they'll do with Towa. I'd be annoyed if she was just the same old same old questgiver she was in Steel 1. There is potential if she and Rean work together as equals now instead of kohai and tiny-senpai.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
im still halfway through sc, but in general, i really like the worldbuilding and writing of the series

is there a good rundown of the series, the world, and the technology?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Any guesses for how they're gonna resolve Rean's relationship path of choice in CS3, on a scale from "ignored" to "the story will be entirely different depending on who you picked"?

I hope they might give you a list and allow you to pick of who you went with in CS2 and add a couple of throwaway lines for it, but I'm kinda also expecting them to actually define a canon relationship for Rean with Alisa too.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Amppelix posted:

Any guesses for how they're gonna resolve Rean's relationship path of choice in CS3, on a scale from "ignored" to "the story will be entirely different depending on who you picked"?

I hope they might give you a list and allow you to pick of who you went with in CS2 and add a couple of throwaway lines for it, but I'm kinda also expecting them to actually define a canon relationship for Rean with Alisa too.

There's a canon choice, so I'm going with "ignored."

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Enough time has passed that we hardly know each other any more so you have to start all your social links over Rean

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I assume they'll handle it the same way they did in CS2. There are some special dialogue scenes which slot in whoever you chose.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

via loving around in directories for the cold steel 3 site people were able to find character names that hadn't been revealed yet. the main point of interest is that Tita, Randy and Towa are all listed as Thors II characters. Tita's probably a student (but who knows about the other two)

https://twitter.com/HDKirin/status/844373678380875776

Tita as a student in a military academy in a foreign country seems like a bit of a stretch. Being a teacher on the other hand...

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rean and Sara can become a thing now, so all doors should now be open to young Schwarzer.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Rean and Sara can become a thing now, so all doors should now be open to young Schwarzer.

It already became a thing when I instantly slammed the Sara button whenever one was available in both CS games

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Tita as a student in a military academy in a foreign country seems like a bit of a stretch. Being a teacher on the other hand...

I think the idea of a 16-year old foreigner with no military background teaching class to students older than her at a military academy is even more of a stretch, childhood genius or not. Tita isn't even particularly skilled at explaining difficult stuff. She usually just lets loose with a waterfall of technobabble that makes Estelle and Agate run for the hills. :)

Compared to that, Tita as a foreign exchange student would be semi-believable even though it'd make a lot more sense if she interned at the Roer Institute instead. (though I suspect her granddad wasn't gonna let her anywhere near Schmidt)

Erpy fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 22, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She could be like George, she joined the academy because the engineering classes are top of the line, even if they naturally focus on military tech.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Osborne specifically asked the Russel family if their daughter wanted to attend his new school as a sign of respect for their distinguished family and the ZCF.

But oh heavens, something ~bad~ suddenly occurs in the school, with Tita in the center of it. His Excellency's warm hand was callously slapped away as Tita is revealed to have been a spy for Liberl, meant to sabotage the school, the new pride of Erebonia! Surely such behavior cannot go without some form of... reprimand.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

She was fighting giant robots in grade school, she'll probably be ok

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Amppelix posted:

It already became a thing when I instantly slammed the Sara button whenever one was available in both CS games

Same, but you're no longer a student and teacher. Just two consenting adults.:wink:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only way a Sara/Rean relationship should go is that Sara laughs at him and pats him on the head and Rean has a sudden, crippling and horrified realization of what he's been doing for the past 20 years.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

ImpAtom posted:

The only way a Sara/Rean relationship should go is that Sara laughs at him and pats him on the head and Rean has a sudden, crippling and horrified realization of what he's been doing for the past 20 years.

I dunno. It's not like Toval's head pats made much of an impact.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I am hoping to see Rean head-patted by Estelle...with her staff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens, since Estelle and Lloyd are allies and Rean's technically their enemy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

It's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens, since Estelle and Lloyd are allies and Rean's technically their enemy.

There's only one unwinnable boss in the game, but it's Estelle and you fight her well over a dozen times.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Any fight between Rean and Estelle is going to be some minor misunderstanding thing.

I mean, we already know that Rean turned down people pleading for him to join the army because he didn't really want to be doing the whole Ashen Chevalier schtick much, and took a teaching job at Thors' esoteric secondary branch for foreign student, dropouts and eccentrics instead. Complete with someone seemingly incredibly pro-Crossbell on his team (plus Tita and Randy at the school too).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The final boss of CS3 is going to be Super Saiyan Osborne in his giant robot while you pilot Valimar Thors which is a giant combiner piloted by all of Class VII created out of the old school building.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Final fight of the franchise will every Divine Knight combining to fight against some even bigger robot piloted by the Grandmaster of Ouroboros.

Essentially the final fight of Gurren Lagann.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Well about Tita showing up, I do have one idea.

(light CS2 End game spoilers)
I imagine she might be at Thors because of the trip George took to Zeiss with Angelica. I can kind of see George really hitting it off with Professor Russel, and that might have led to him mentioning learning at Thors, and one thing might have led to another and now Tita is enrolled in Thors.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I hope Campanella shows up to be smug and mysterious about stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

I hope Campanella shows up to be smug and mysterious about stuff.

I want to play Ao because I know Campanella shows up again.

Among all the other reasons.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Some Numbers posted:

Final fight of the franchise will every Divine Knight combining to fight against some even bigger robot piloted by the Grandmaster of Ouroboros.

Essentially the final fight of Gurren Lagann.

Which will be unwinnable until Victor show up to save the party. :v:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Detheros posted:

Which will be unwinnable until Victor show up to save the party. :v:

At which point he... turns into a giant drill. And the party eats him. And grows bigger. And stuff.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Victor had to die and/or retire so Laura can have his cool sword sorry everyone

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Supremezero posted:

At which point he... turns into a giant drill. And the party eats him. And grows bigger. And stuff.

Giant drills suck. Victor appears together with Cassius and they merge into a super being with Victor's beard and Cassius' moustache that delivers a few lines to embarrass Laura and Estelle before going to town on the big bad.

Death Priest
Jun 24, 2004

Erpy posted:

Giant drills suck. Victor appears together with Cassius and they merge into a super being with Victor's beard and Cassius' moustache that delivers a few lines to embarrass Laura and Estelle before going to town on the big bad.

Surely they would team up with tank dad for even more badassery / child embarrassment potential.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

im still halfway through sc, but in general, i really like the worldbuilding and writing of the series

is there a good rundown of the series, the world, and the technology?

the sky games are the first entries so there isn't any background stuff to know about the setting that isn't in-game, any new information in a rundown of the world would probably just be stuff from future games. if you have any specific questions i can field them though probaby

i am a nerd and am willing to explain how the games tie together and what they're all about though. So first off, Trails in the Sky is actually Legend of Heroes VI, but the previous five games are unrelated and the connected games are everything after Sky, marked by having Trails/Kiseki in their name. Anyways, with that out of the way:

---

Basically, all seven (to-date) Trails games take place on the same continent, with the story focusing on a specific country and cast for two or three games story arcs that are somewhat self-contained. The arcs so far are:

Liberl (Trails FC/SC and the upcoming Sky 3rd): The ones you are playing, and are thus familiar with. The main point of interest in that case is that SC has a pretty definitive end, and then 3rd takes place a year later and changes perspective to follow everyone's idol Kevin, giving an in-depth look at his character, while also acting as an extended epilogue to FC/SC and doing a bunch of worldbuilding/groundwork for future games.

Crossbell (Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki): Unofficially Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure. Taking place a year after 3rd, the duology follows a squad of rookie police officers in Crossbell, which you might remember got mentioned in Chapter 3 of SC. we don't know if they're going to be localized, but there's a translation patch being worked on.

Erebonia (Cold Steel I/II and the upcoming (in Japan) III): Follows a group of military academy students in Erebonia. I/II take place more or less concurrently to Crossbell, showing the Erebonian perspective to the events that transpire.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Does adol ever show up in any of the Trails games even as a gag?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

there are one or two Dogi references but I've never seen Adol anywhere

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

In Training posted:

Does adol ever show up in any of the Trails games even as a gag?

Adol showing up without ruining all of Ouroboros' plans single-handedly would break suspension of disbelief.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was dumping on Celceta last week but I think it just starts slower than I would like because once you've got 4+ characters and I realized I could fast forward all the cutscenes I've been enjoying it a lot more. I think mainly I just dont like using the spear guy or swimming combat and the first like 3 hours of this game is nothing but that! So I was unduly bummed. But now that I've got a growing party and a ton of weapons getting buffed and boosted with minerals and cool accessories and stuff its reminding me why I originally liked this game a lot!

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've got 11 days off work starting tomorrow and think it's time to start TitS SC.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've got 11 days off work starting tomorrow and think it's time to start TitS SC.

Post reactions!!

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

a demo of the PS4 version of Ys8 is out on the japanese PSN network if anyone wants to check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The final push to get around to making a JP account I think