Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

From a certain perspective you could say they are unintentionally sandbagging. Honda sincerely believes they have made major performance improvements but haven't come remotely close to stretching their legs.

I do genuinely think they are playing up the sad sack "we are in a really poo poo spot" card a lot more than they probably need to and are in a better spot than it appears on the surface. Time will tell once they get the motor to stop rattling itself to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
To be fair it's been three years and Honda still doesn't have their poo poo together, I'd be playing up how bad things were as well. Honda really needs to take their finger out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

The issue is that the chassis isn't dissipating the engine's vibration. How do you test that on a dyno?

But if the motor is vibrating itself apart they should know it before putting in the chassis? And if the chassis is vibrating the motor apart, that to me is a failure of design from Mclaren.

Anyways i still remeber the two WDC that Mika won from Schumi so i hope Mclaren never wins again.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I do genuinely think they are playing up the sad sack "we are in a really poo poo spot" card a lot more than they probably need to and are in a better spot than it appears on the surface. Time will tell once they get the motor to stop rattling itself to death.

It's pretty clear that McLaren have told their drivers and staff to let loose on Honda publicly if they feel so inclined. Alonso pretty much said nothing the last two years except for the occasional in-car outburst, but this year he has repeatedly and strongly criticized them, with no defense or mitigation coming from Boullier et al. So if they are playing up their issues, they're doing a drat fine job of it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

But if the motor is vibrating itself apart they should know it before putting in the chassis?

I saw a post somewhere recently that was supposedly from a current Honda engineer. The guy claimed they're too focused on rapidly iterating the engine and thus each new iteration isn't properly tested.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

DoctorGonzo posted:

But if the motor is vibrating itself apart they should know it before putting in the chassis? And if the chassis is vibrating the motor apart, that to me is a failure of design from Mclaren.

Chassis dynamics is really out of the scope of this thread and I'd put people to sleep talking about it but putting an engine on a testbed doesn't capture real world elements. The fact is these engines are a structural part of the cars and there's huge forces being put through them as a result. Apportioning blame isn't a black and white issue, it's a far more complex issue their dealing with.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hamilton dunking on Honda made me hate him slightly less

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Chassis dynamics is really out of the scope of this thread

Horseshit. Let's hear it bro.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

Chassis dynamics is really out of the scope of this thread and I'd put people to sleep talking about it but putting an engine on a testbed doesn't capture real world elements. The fact is these engines are a structural part of the cars and there's huge forces being put through them as a result. Apportioning blame isn't a black and white issue, it's a far more complex issue their dealing with.

Yeah i know that but i never heard of a car that is falling apart for natural reasons. Someone hosed up.

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Mar 23, 2017

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

It's pretty clear that McLaren have told their drivers and staff to let loose on Honda publicly if they feel so inclined. Alonso pretty much said nothing the last two years except for the occasional in-car outburst, but this year he has repeatedly and strongly criticized them, with no defense or mitigation coming from Boullier et al. So if they are playing up their issues, they're doing a drat fine job of it.

Hell, at this point in the game if I were running McLaren I'd tell everyone on to publicly poo poo on Honda too. If Japanese culture is anything to go off of, the public shame ought to make them get their poo poo together.

wicka posted:

Right?! I'm 100% down for some chassis dynamics, I love tech poo poo like that.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah i know that but i never heard of a car that is falling apart for natural reasons. Someone hosed up.

I've had it happen to me, VW grounds the entire ignition system through the cylinder head and there was enough moving that after three years that it just snapped. Look up 1st gen Chevy Astros, 90 degree V6s without balance shafts, the electric connections in mine is all shot to bits.

wicka posted:

Remind me and I'll type something up tonight when I'm not on my phone.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500quidporsche posted:

I've had it happen to me, VW grounds the entire ignition system through the cylinder head and there was enough moving that after three years that it just snapped. Look up 1st gen Chevy Astros, 90 degree V6s without balance shafts, the electric connections in mine is all shot to bits.

Remind me and I'll type something up tonight when I'm not on my phone.

but that is a failiure of design?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

Hell, at this point in the game if I were running McLaren I'd tell everyone on to publicly poo poo on Honda too. If Japanese culture is anything to go off of, the public shame ought to make them get their poo poo together.

That's kinda what I mean. I think it makes total sense for McLaren to pile the shame on Honda and make them do whatever it takes to fix the problem, even if it doesn't fit with how they normally do business. It makes less sense for them to destroy Honda publicly if their problems aren't actually that great. Seems like Honda would prefer positive publicity if they've earned it.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

can someone please do a parody of the dramatic cupcake dog having vietnam flashbacks, except with Alonso from that drivers' press conference where the camera pulls in progressively tighter on his face while images of MCL32 and that washing machine shaking itself to death flash across the screen, tia

I'd do it myself but I just don't have the time at the moment and I'm afraid by the time I get around to it the zeitgeist of Mclonic-Honda will have passed

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

ukle posted:

drat -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLoI_UXkcS4&t=361s

What do you want from New F1 Owners -

Alonso: Equal Engines

Hamilton: I don't want that

Ric: But not electric

Hamilton: Yeah and not Honda

Lewis: "More ladies in the paddock... more paddock access for women, there's too many dudes" :heysexy:

Kilmers Elbow posted:

HAM with a serious case of the notgays there.

Yeah, out of nowhere! Is the Poois Shamilton PR machine making bold new strides for 2017?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Norns posted:

Hamilton dunking on Honda made me hate him slightly less

heck, :same:

and now I'm so internally conflicted in my emotions that I have even more empathy for the guy

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

CratSock posted:

Lewis: "More ladies in the paddock... more paddock access for women, there's too many dudes" :heysexy:

Lewis just wants to encourage more women to work in F1. What an enlightened man.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Honestly Honda is just taking the piss now. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-worried-about-reliability-for-australian-gp-885008/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

quote:

Although Fernando Alonso complained about a lack of power on top of the reliability issues, Hasegawa insisted that the new engine is up on its 2016 performance figures.

However, he did concede that Honda had not hit the target it had hoped for.

"[Regarding] Alonso's power shortage and lack of speed compared with other cars, I do not know honestly. But I think that is our problem.

"We have not yet reached the target value we have established independently. But I cannot tell you the figures.

"I think that power is better than we had in Abu Dhabi last year, but the drag has increased. And as the tyres are wider, the driver may feel that the speed has dropped.

That is uh not a very encouraging response

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Norns posted:

Lance the killer Stroll
Lance being pushed around in his Stroller

Because he's a baby

For all you British people with your narrow language, that's the word for "pram"

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Uhhh, do you expect him to say the down on power engine that shakes itself apart is really good?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Uhhh, do you expect him to say the down on power engine that shakes itself apart is really good?

No, but he came about as close as you can get to saying exactly that with a straight face.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

"We have slightly elevated levels of engines shaking themselves to death, but we also have achieved more output. For the engines to ah.... shake themselves... to death. No more questions." *smiles blankly*

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A positive answer would have been something like 'We have been turning it down to try to help the shaking problem' not "And as the tyres are wider, the driver may feel that the speed has dropped". Fernando can look at a clock just like anyone else

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
He said the engine was down on power and that they didn't meet their targets.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Yes, like I said that is not very encouraging for McLaren for the entire season. It was possible (to me) that if they fixed the shaking then maybe the engine would be at least competitive but that doesn't sound like the case.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The engine has fundamental design issues that cannot be rectified in 2 weeks, or even before mid season. I expected reliability issues and it looks like I was right.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

quote:

Hasegawa insisted that the new engine is up on its 2016 performance figures.

What's that saying about being at rock bottom?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Honda is eating a bunch of hamburgers off the bathroom floor at this point.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CratSock posted:

"We have slightly elevated levels of engines shaking themselves to death, but we also have achieved more output. For the engines to ah.... shake themselves... to death. No more questions." *smiles blankly*

"Our new engine is AIDS. 69." - Ron Dennis

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

"Our new engine is AIDS. 69." - Ron Dennis

He died.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Honda is eating a bunch of hamburgers off the bathroom floor at this point.

Teppanyaki from the dumpster, bathroom floor burgs would be 2016 Renault power levels.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So they are not running the engine at full power and still is tearing itself apart? Thats awful, i tought they were running the thing at full power and that was the reason for their problems.

Yeah, they are hosed.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No I think it's at full power it's just poo poo. They can develop it now, though.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Manor Marussia will get more points than McLaren this year.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if it's actually faster than the Sauber.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A positive answer would have been something like 'We have been turning it down to try to help the shaking problem' not "And as the tyres are wider, the driver may feel that the speed has dropped". Fernando can look at a clock just like anyone else

Maybe Honda is getting snippy with McLaren too. "A GP2 driver would likely feel like the speed is lower..."

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

That's it, I'm going for it. My GP Predictor predictions are pretty bold with Are Nando on Pole and Podium, backed up with Their Strudel taking the second podium step. Get at me, fellas.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

CratSock posted:

wuffles posted:

Mclonic-Honda

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

GramCracker posted:

That's it, I'm going for it. My GP Predictor predictions are pretty bold with Are Nando on Pole and Podium, backed up with Their Strudel taking the second podium step. Get at me, fellas.

GramCracker, you should never go full retard, you know that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

CratSock posted:

GramCracker, you should never go full retard, you know that!

:shepicide:

• Locked thread