Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Question for you guys. Do you find episodes where you've seen the movie to be more entertaining than those where you haven't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spatulater bro! posted:

Question for you guys. Do you find episodes where you've seen the movie to be more entertaining than those where you haven't?

This is the only movie podcast I've listened to where it doesn't matter for me. What it changes is how much I remember the episode. After listening to the Highlander 3 episode I realized I had no recollection of the Highlander 2 episode because I've never seen The Quickening.

It can impact my enjoyment of Nexus though.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
I just relistened to their Matrix Revolutions episode and they made a joke about the future of the Matrix universe being caused by President Rick Santorum.

Better or worse than Trump's Mad Max future?

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

sean10mm posted:

Is Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever as bad as Ultraviolet? It was the first thing to spring to mind when I tried to think of a similarly lovely "No, seriously, even for a trash action movie it's just no loving good" movie.

I haven't seen it in forever though.

No. Ecks vs. Sever is a baffling piece of media, but there is plenty to analyze. Whoever said Ultraviolet is like a snippet of a movie from Last Action Hero or a Stallone joint extrapolated into a feature film was on the money. It's how Milla Jovovich, star of the Resident Evil franchise, slums it up.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
"Then she raised a rat." actually made me cry.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Fsmhunk posted:

"Then she raised a rat." actually made me cry.

Eric's tone of voice for the "a pregnant woman was walking past Planned Parenthood" was perfect.

Also:
"Free cancer screenings for your baby!"
"...Mushroom cloud."

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jerk McJerkface posted:

For a while I lived with a dude that was a friend of a friend I didn't know very well. After a few weeks of us basically just passing in the hall and saying "hi" I figured I'd hang out with him a little. He would always watch movies, the apartment had a really nice project and sound system setup, so I figured I'd join him for a movie.

He chose Ultraviolet. I watched like a half hour and then bailed. He was really into it, go figure. We never became good friends.

Did he have a fiance/twin sister who used to date a guy named Steve?

MariusLecter posted:

Definitely.

Also, what is more groan worthy in you alls opinion.
"I come from a world you may not understand." Vs. "I am a death dealer, sworn to kill blah blah etc."

With out a doubt it's "I come from a world you may not understand". The Underworld open at least tells you something about the setting of the movie. Ultraviolet's opening is like saying "This is a sci-fi movie, check your ticket stub for the right theater number if that's not what you're here for".

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eric's tone of voice for the "a pregnant woman was walking past Planned Parenthood" was perfect.

Also:
"Free cancer screenings for your baby!"
"...Mushroom cloud."

The sudden turn from stealing and killing babies to free mammograms and cancer screenings, mwahahaha, was amazing.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Did I miss it or were there no ads that episode? Did the sponsors not want to be associated with "Cum Heist"?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Cum Town is a pretty popular podcast, maybe WHM should do a Cum Heist and steal their audience.

Isn't there a decent British vampire TV series called Ultraviolet?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

That improv group picture is a gift from sweet heaven

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.

Pops Mgee posted:

Did I miss it or were there no ads that episode? Did the sponsors not want to be associated with "Cum Heist"?

More like didnt want to be associated with Ultraviolet.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit
I enjoy the idea of sponsors saying "Yeah we can do Highlander 3, but please don't air our ad during Ultraviolet" like there's some next level marketing of not wanting to be associated with certain awful movies but are ok with others.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

marioinblack posted:

I enjoy the idea of sponsors saying "Yeah we can do Highlander 3, but please don't air our ad during Ultraviolet" like there's some next level marketing of not wanting to be associated with certain awful movies but are ok with others.

Brand Association. Would you like your product and or service to be Pavloved into people's brains with Ultraviolet?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
It's because the ads followed me into physical space this week. I took the bullet so you didn't have to. You're welcome.

No, really. Podcasts have ruined the world

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

The early-mid 2000s were dire as hell for bad action movies with no charm whatsoever. Driven and Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle, I'm looking at you, and would have called you in if the Cat in the Hat didn't make me even angrier.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've got to disagree with the guys in regard to vampires. Sure, Ultraviolet doesn't actually have vampires and the whole thing is laughable that they would even call them vampires. However playing around with vampire tropes is totally ok and should be encouraged. You've got to keep some core concepts in order to still be vampires, but it doesn't need to stick to draculas in castles to be acceptable. Twilight has totally definitionally acceptable vampires. They suck and the changes are dumb, but they're still vampires.

You've got to have your vampires feed on something from humans though. Even if they're really lovely psychic vampires or some poo poo. Also vampirism killing you in a couple years is fairly antithetical to the concept, and you've got to really check the other vampire characteristics pretty hard to overcome that.

Surprised they didn't mention that Milla Jovovich's character is named Violet Song Jat Shariff. Sure, next we'll have a movie where Vin Diesel plays a Lord Reginald Astley Farnsworth III.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The episode quickly has become one of my favorites and it's doing everything it can to make me watch Ultraviolet this weekend.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Ecks Vs Sever is actually kind of fascinating in that the video game tie-in came first somehow and was an entirely different thing to the movie, the entire premise was different.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OldTennisCourt posted:

Ecks Vs Sever is actually kind of fascinating in that the video game tie-in came first somehow and was an entirely different thing to the movie, the entire premise was different.

What?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

The game came out a year before hand and was based on an early script of the movie where, as I recall, the genders were switched and there were other major story changes.

Then the movie comes out and they put out a second game under almost the exact same name that it based on the finished movie.

I can't think of that ever happening before.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OldTennisCourt posted:

The game came out a year before hand and was based on an early script of the movie where, as I recall, the genders were switched and there were other major story changes.

Then the movie comes out and they put out a second game under almost the exact same name that it based on the finished movie.

I can't think of that ever happening before.

I'm just shocked that there was a game based on it, and now I find out there were two :psyduck:

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm just shocked that there was a game based on it, and now I find out there were two :psyduck:

They were both GBA games. The original in particular actually got very positive reviews as it managed to be a 3D FPS on the system that actually worked really well. I think it pushed the system close to it's limits. The second was more of the same and came out around the death of the system.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Gyges posted:

I've got to disagree with the guys in regard to vampires. Sure, Ultraviolet doesn't actually have vampires and the whole thing is laughable that they would even call them vampires. However playing around with vampire tropes is totally ok and should be encouraged. You've got to keep some core concepts in order to still be vampires, but it doesn't need to stick to draculas in castles to be acceptable. Twilight has totally definitionally acceptable vampires. They suck and the changes are dumb, but they're still vampires.

You've got to have your vampires feed on something from humans though. Even if they're really lovely psychic vampires or some poo poo. Also vampirism killing you in a couple years is fairly antithetical to the concept, and you've got to really check the other vampire characteristics pretty hard to overcome that.

Surprised they didn't mention that Milla Jovovich's character is named Violet Song Jat Shariff. Sure, next we'll have a movie where Vin Diesel plays a Lord Reginald Astley Farnsworth III.

I mean if we were being purists, all vampires would have to be bloated gross Eastern-european zombies whose only real superpower was coming out of their grave every night and being hard to kill.

The thing that bothers me is the inevitable scene in every vampire movie where they explain how the vampires work and heap bizarre amounts of scorn on people believing the things that don't work. "They can't cross running water and they can turn into bats, but crosses do NOTHING and they CAN'T hypnotize you, YOU IDIOT"

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

END ME SCOOB posted:

It's because the ads followed me into physical space this week. I took the bullet so you didn't have to. You're welcome.

No, really. Podcasts have ruined the world

Same here. I do receiving at my shop where I work, and NewEgg's been sending us copies of the same Blue Apron card for months now. b81619, over and over.

OldTennisCourt posted:

They were both GBA games. The original in particular actually got very positive reviews as it managed to be a 3D FPS on the system that actually worked really well. I think it pushed the system close to it's limits. The second was more of the same and came out around the death of the system.

There was a really good port of Doom II on there too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I mean if we were being purists, all vampires would have to be bloated gross Eastern-european zombies whose only real superpower was coming out of their grave every night and being hard to kill.

The thing that bothers me is the inevitable scene in every vampire movie where they explain how the vampires work and heap bizarre amounts of scorn on people believing the things that don't work. "They can't cross running water and they can turn into bats, but crosses do NOTHING and they CAN'T hypnotize you, YOU IDIOT"

We need more OCD, hopping vampires in my opinion.

There are as many different versions of vampires as there are cultural regions in the world. Sticking with stuffy European bloodsuckers is the worst. Condescending corrections to vampire lore are worthless though, I agree.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I wanna see movie versions of the Blindsight book vampires.

Sociopathic cannibals.
Go into seizures when seeing right angles.
Turn into jerky when hibernating. (saw this in Underworld which was cool)
Contract blood into vital organs for efficiency leaving skin pale and waxy.
Insanely intelligent with strategic thinking beyond human comprehension.

There was also a detail about vampires not being able to be hooked up to The Matrix type machines because they couldnt be fooled by any kind of virtual reality.

I can't believe the guys unanimously hated Daybreakers.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 23, 2017

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!

MariusLecter posted:

I wanna see movie versions of the Blindsight book vampires.

Sociopathic cannibals.
Go into seizures when seeing right angles.
Turn into jerky when hibernating. (saw this in Underworld which was cool)
Contract blood into vital organs for efficiency leaving skin pale and waxy.
Insanely intelligent with strategic thinking beyond human comprehension.

There was also a detail about vampires not being able to be hooked up to The Matrix type machines because they couldnt be fooled by any kind of virtual reality.

I can't believe the guys unanimously hated Daybreakers.

Yeah, Daybreakers is pretty okay. A couple of my friends absolutely love it, though, And I can't tell you why. They aren't horror or vampire buffs by any means.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

CountFosco posted:

Really? Worse than Nukie?

The only thing I can say in UV's defense is that it probably isn't a film made for pro Apartheid South Africa propaganda purposes like Nukie.

I say probably, because honestly who can tell?

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
The best thing about Ultraviolet is at least it's 88 minutes including credits. Had it come out now or within the last few years it probably would've been two and a half hours long.

Thompsons fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 24, 2017

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Thompsons posted:

The best thing about Ultraviolet is at least it's 98 minutes including credits. Had it come out now or within the last few years it probably would've been two and a half hours long.

I really hate every movie doing that

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Gyges posted:

We need more OCD, hopping vampires in my opinion.

There are as many different versions of vampires as there are cultural regions in the world. Sticking with stuffy European bloodsuckers is the worst. Condescending corrections to vampire lore are worthless though, I agree.

The ones in that one episode of X-Files are one of my favorites, where they live in camper vans and one of them wears plastic novelty fangs and gets annoyed when Mulder throws sunflower seeds at him but has to pick them all up anyway.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Any of you guys know a good podcast app for phones? I used to use Player FM. It was pretty good, except it had a habit of crashing and taking my phone with it. Now I've been going direct to the website for WHM but that's a bit awkward and I started listening to about a dozen more podcasts in the meantime. I have a Samsung Galaxy if that matters.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I use Pocket Casts and love it.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Jupin's tweeted out that the new Power Rangers movie is the next on-screen. This past month has been "WHM hurts itself" month. :ohdear:

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I use Pocket Casts and love it.

Same. Is there any way to get the Patreon stuff to load into that app, or do I just have to use the specific Patreon app?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GlenMR posted:

Same. Is there any way to get the Patreon stuff to load into that app, or do I just have to use the specific Patreon app?

You can copy the RSS feed URL into PocketCasts.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've used Podcast Addict for a few years now. I like it. You can add their RSS link directly, assuming you still have that email.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I navigate my phone browser to their website and tap direct download > download link. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I still have the WHM app installed back when they had it.

Edit: This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00D8HXUZO/