Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I just spent 45 minutes playing Metro 2033 and it was the most boring bullshit I've sat through recently. It feels like the cutscene just never ends. I've shot some dog-monsters or whatever the gently caress they are, but even that didn't feel like I was really doing anything. Also, the currency being the supposedly most useful kind of ammo is just the dumbest thing.

Thats the entire game. Apparently the sequel is even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Metro: Last Light

Hey Artyom this guy you befriended out of necessity is an rear end in a top hat and will gently caress you over intermittently.

Cool now you can exact your revenge! But the morality vessel is watching!

Zahi
Jun 4, 2009

bent

Tiggum posted:

It's not worrying me, it's just dumb. Like, does this world just have an ever-dwindling supply of currency because people keep shooting monsters with it?

A currency in the post-apocalypse is something that would (presumably) have value since paper money relies on a trust that no longer exists.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I only played the first Metro, a lot of the game mechanics - morality, stealth, librarians, exploding blobs, etc - were so inconsistent in how they worked that they felt completely random.

Those jumping monkey mutant things were frustrating to fight because they seemed to clip through you when they attacked. Something Quake 1 did right about 15 years prior.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Metro 2033 is jank as hell but I can't help but love it, they just nail the lighting and texturing. And the using bullets as money works perfectly for the kind of world they're trying to make.

They gradually begin tightening up the actual game mechanics in the sequel, and then port all that stuff back in 2033 Redux, but I haven't played that.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Jesus, Riddler, shut the gently caress up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zahi posted:

A currency in the post-apocalypse is something that would (presumably) have value since paper money relies on a trust that no longer exists.

If you're reduced to barter because you don't trust each other, not everyone is going to want bullets. The only way the bullets work as a currency is if they have an agreed on value, which requires trust, and means that using something not intrinsically valuable would be a better idea.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Tiggum posted:

If you're reduced to barter because you don't trust each other, not everyone is going to want bullets. The only way the bullets work as a currency is if they have an agreed on value, which requires trust, and means that using something not intrinsically valuable would be a better idea.

You have no idea how bartering works do you

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

RagnarokAngel posted:

You have no idea how * works do you

A running theme

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

You have no idea how bartering works do you

What response are you expecting to this? If you'd said what you thought I was wrong about, maybe I'd be able to look at it and say "Yes, I was wrong" or "Oh, you thought I meant this but I actually meant that" but as it is, I know there's been a communication failure but I can't tell which one of us is mistaken or about what. So what are you trying to achieve by this post?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tiggum posted:

I know there's been a communication failure but I can't tell which one of us is mistaken or about what.

Tiggum: :psylon:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
What does anyone hope to achieve by posting? Fame? Respect? The adoration of one's peers? For myself, I just enjoy seeing my post count number go up and up.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

What response are you expecting to this? If you'd said what you thought I was wrong about, maybe I'd be able to look at it and say "Yes, I was wrong" or "Oh, you thought I meant this but I actually meant that"

Hahaha no you couldn't.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Tiggum posted:

It's not worrying me, it's just dumb. Like, does this world just have an ever-dwindling supply of currency because people keep shooting monsters with it?

p much

the bullets as currency is just visual shorthand to show how rough the setting is. i'm no gun expert so i wouldn't know what a civilian would need to start fabricating military grade ammo other than a bullet making kit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, civilians are using lovely, cobbled together stuff. It's the military grade rounds from old war stocks that are treated as valuable.

There's a great scene in the book where Artyom comes into possession of an entire magazine and trades it in for a hot meal, hot shower and proper bed for a night despite every instinct telling him to hang onto the drat thing and spend it much more wisely than that. :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Well, I've beaten Thunderblight Ganon. With a thunder-resist elixir plus the master sword it fell fairly quickly, I think I'll blitz through the rest of the plot for now and just do what I feel like after (Although I may not bother trying to get to Dragon's Exile, that seems annoying).

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Tiggum posted:

Tiggum posted:

What response are you expecting to this? If you'd said what you thought I was wrong about, maybe I'd be able to look at it and say "Yes, I was wrong" or "Oh, you thought I meant this but I actually meant that" but as it is, I know there's been a communication failure but I can't tell which one of us is mistaken or about what. So what are you trying to achieve by this post?

The problem is your post was so very wrong that it's hard to correct.

Barter doesn't require currency for a start. Second, currency requires technically nothing, but in practice requires that the currency holds its value. You don't trade for the thing because it's what you want (that would be barter), you trade for it because you can then trade it for the thing that you want as if you had traded for it directly. Say I sell food for X bullets and then spend those X bullets on cigarettes. That achieves the same thing as bartering except that I don't have to find someone who wants to both buy food and sell cigarettes. I can use the bullets as a medium to essentially transfer the value of one trade into another. All I want for this is that the bullets are widely accepted so I'm easily able to complete the full trade, and that they hold value long enough for me to complete both trades. That's it. Using something that has inherent value is good when trust is low because I can trust in its inherent value rather than having to trust some backer. Yes it's better to trade in fiat currency from a utilisation of resources perspective, but that requires a lot of stability to work.

Also currency that goes up in value is fine for the kind of world in Metro. So people using up currency shooting them off is whatever. As long as the value doesn't go down it works well for the short term day to day struggle where you're buying to serve your needs constantly. It's not a world where investors holding onto their currency because it's increasing in value is a concern.

Futuresight has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Mar 23, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tiggum posted:

I'm not stuck, just bored. And it's not, technically speaking, cutscenes, but it's long sections of people talking while you're either walking from one place to another or sitting in a vehicle. And everyone saying the protagonist's name all the time is weird and annoying.

Gotcha, it sounded like something wasn't triggering in your first post. You should probably stop now then because it's only going to double down on both.

quote:

There's a great scene in the book where Artyom comes into possession of an entire magazine and trades it in for a hot meal, hot shower and proper bed for a night despite every instinct telling him to hang onto the drat thing and spend it much more wisely than that.

And that's nearer the end of the book; at the start of his journey he's musing on it and how he's ultimately just trading lives ("A deal! Only one hundred lives for a jacket!"). The book's really great and I need to finish reading 2035. The translation and editing is a bit shittier than 2034 though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man do I wish that Xenoblade 3DS had gotten as much of a facelift as DQ8 3DS did. It'd be nice if I could buy equipment and S) put it on without backing out of the store and going to an entirely different party menu or B) swap from buying and selling without needing to back out of one or the other.

Also it'd be nice if I could trade multiple things with people instead of having to do it one at a time over and over.

Also also, every game with armor that changes your appearance should have a visual slot that you can put stuff on in like Terraria.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Of course, immediately as I say I may not bother with the Dragon's Exile, it's the first thing I end up doing and it was really easy too :v:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Futuresight posted:

Barter doesn't require currency for a start.
Obviously. I wasn't saying barter required currency. The system in the game isn't barter, because it treats bullets as currency (ie. as though everyone wants them and they're universally exchangeable for any goods or services). I understand what barter is and what currency is, and that's why I disagree with Zahi's explanation that people trade bullets because they can't trust anyone enough to have a currency.

Futuresight posted:

Using something that has inherent value is good when trust is low because I can trust in its inherent value rather than having to trust some backer.
I only played 45 minutes, so maybe in this setting everyone fights monsters, but I'm assuming that that's not the case because that would be dumb. And if not everyone fights the monsters then not everyone is going to want bullets. They only have inherent value to the people who fight monsters. It's essentially a fiat currency. You pay taxes in the form of bullets to the army who protect you from the monsters. But if that's the case, how are there still so many bullets in circulation? Aren't the army using them to kill monsters? Or are they just using them to buy goods and services and keep them in circulation, in which case their value as ammunition is wasted?

Futuresight posted:

Also currency that goes up in value is fine for the kind of world in Metro.
Only to the point that they become too valuable to trade for common items. You need a low-denomination "coin" to buy small things with (unless you're just going back to bartering).

It's really a very minor point, it just struck me as not making sense if you think about how it would work for normal people in this setting.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Nier: Automata pet peeve given to any new players as advice:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

There's the Taro Yoko we know and love...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tiggum posted:

Obviously. I wasn't saying barter required currency. The system in the game isn't barter, because it treats bullets as currency (ie. as though everyone wants them and they're universally exchangeable for any goods or services). I understand what barter is and what currency is, and that's why I disagree with Zahi's explanation that people trade bullets because they can't trust anyone enough to have a currency.

I only played 45 minutes, so maybe in this setting everyone fights monsters, but I'm assuming that that's not the case because that would be dumb. And if not everyone fights the monsters then not everyone is going to want bullets. They only have inherent value to the people who fight monsters. It's essentially a fiat currency. You pay taxes in the form of bullets to the army who protect you from the monsters. But if that's the case, how are there still so many bullets in circulation? Aren't the army using them to kill monsters? Or are they just using them to buy goods and services and keep them in circulation, in which case their value as ammunition is wasted?

Only to the point that they become too valuable to trade for common items. You need a low-denomination "coin" to buy small things with (unless you're just going back to bartering).

It's really a very minor point, it just struck me as not making sense if you think about how it would work for normal people in this setting.

It's explicitly stated that the bullets being used for transactions are raw, military grade munitions from before the bombs fell. The vast majority of guns are loaded with hand made, civilian constructed ammo.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Tiggum posted:

Bullets are simultaneously a small and easy to carry item, and have a lot of practical value (shooting monsters). Fiat Currency only works in our current modern society, because world governments trust each other enough for a relatively stable exchange rate of currency to exist.

In the Metro world, you could have say, fiat currency within a settlement, maybe even have a few settlements that live close together mutually agree that the money has value, but not all of them. They're too far apart and lack communication to orchestrate something that elaborate. So if you wanna trade for things you need, you need to barter. Well travel in the world of Metro is really dangerous so bringing a bunch of huge and heavy things is asking it to get broken/stolen, so you need something small. Bullets are both small and are valuable. Even if YOU YOURSELF aren't a ranger who shoots monsters on the regular, you can very easily find someone who does.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oldstench posted:

Nier: Automata pet peeve given to any new players as advice:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.

Yeah but doing all the sidequeats in your first playthrough is a tough nut. Might as well do it in your next playthrough or so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Tilt controls are the worst. Lookin' at you Mahna Mahna Shrine and your stupid ball maze

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Tilt controls are the worst. Lookin' at you Mahna Mahna Shrine and your stupid ball maze

Flip it over.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Away all Goats posted:

What about my post made you think it wasn't on an SSD? The game has poo poo load times, SSD or not. The other TW games aren't this bad.

The fact that you complained made me think so. I have an old Samsung SSD and load times are maybe 15-20 seconds...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Flip it over.

That didn't get rid of the horrible tilt controls though?

Also didn't work the best when I was playing on the tablet in another room.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Tiggum posted:

I haven't actually played Bioshock for more than about half an hour,

Tiggum posted:

I only played 45 minutes, so maybe in this setting everyone fights monsters,

Maybe, and I'm just thinking out loud here, you should consider not posting your hot takes on games you barely played and arguing with people who have actually completed the games under discussion. There are games you played for 60 full minutes or more, right? If you wait long enough I'm sure one of them will come up.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Leavemywife posted:

Jesus, Riddler, shut the gently caress up.

The Riddler's superpower is telling people how to catch him.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Scanning in Mass Effect Andromeda is even worse than ME2. To travel between planets, it has to zoom to the current planet, then zoom across the system to the new planet, then zoom into the planet for a couple seconds, then zoom out slightly. It's unskippable and dumb as hell.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Piell posted:

Scanning in Mass Effect Andromeda is even worse than ME2. To travel between planets, it has to zoom to the current planet, then zoom across the system to the new planet, then zoom into the planet for a couple seconds, then zoom out slightly. It's unskippable and dumb as hell.

They brought that back? Wow.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You know what else they brought back? Motherloving sync kills.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

The Riddler's superpower is telling people how to catch him.
Riddle me this, Batman. I am going to "shoot" the "mayor" with a "gun".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Tunicate posted:

Riddle me this, Batman. I am going to "shoot" the "mayor" with a "gun".

Batman: Shoot... He's talking about firing something...

Robin: Or shooting his load!

B: Of course, Robin, ejaculate! Now, guns.. Muscles.. Superman has muscles...

Robin: Superman is going to jizz on the mayor!

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Is Andromeda worth getting? All the early reviews I've read make is sound like the worst game in the series. Does the story get more interesting?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Sunswipe posted:

They brought that back? Wow.

Mass Effect: Andromeda runs on the Monkey's PawTM Engine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I think Paul Dini spoiled me with Riddler because every portrayal of him that's not from the DCAU doesn't come off as clever with the riddles or just forgoes them altogether like the one in the The Batman cartoon made by the same team who did Jackie Chan Adventures.