Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
This manga pretty much just starts off with the big fuckoff tournament and there's a surprising amount of not obvious jobbers. Even the jobbers don't look like total jobbers like in every other manga.

also fang of mustard is a dead ringer for toffee from star vs the forces of evil.

It's uncanny

Macksy fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Kure power-activation technique thing obviously has some sort of drawback to it that is likely going to be what causes him to lose since he's the dude who can release at 100%.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a superior physique doesn't guarantee victory. unless you count narrative weight, there aren't any power levels involved.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
with there being like another 10 volumes already made i wonder where the story is going after this tournament

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fabricated posted:

The Kure power-activation technique thing obviously has some sort of drawback to it that is likely going to be what causes him to lose since he's the dude who can release at 100%.

I hope Karla's the one to beat Raian, somehow. She'd sworn to kill Raian at the end of this chapter and it'd be fitting for her to be the one to destroy Raian and give vengeance / closure to her friend Elena. It should be possible for 85% release + sanity to be a superior combo to 100% release + nutso.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Our boy Toma (remember him?) is fighting him in the second round, and since it is exceptionally unlikely he'll lose, Raian won't leave uninjured. He might be the strongest member of the Kure clan at peak condition but if he's been through the wringer beforehand, Karla can just rip out his heart or something. Which she'll pretty keen to do if Raian tries to kill the future father of her children as well.

Macksy posted:

also fang of mustard is a dead ringer for toffee from star vs the forces of evil.

It's uncanny
gently caress I can't unsee this now

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

i'm curious about what Fang of Metsudo's gimmick will be. He actually doesn't have much of a "final boss" look to him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

with there being like another 10 volumes already made i wonder where the story is going after this tournament

Yeah uh the tournament isn't even over yet. It's up to the final 8.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Ytlaya posted:

i'm curious about what Fang of Metsudo's gimmick will be. He actually doesn't have much of a "final boss" look to him.

Here's a preview of Fang when he's in "final boss" mode, I tried to find non-spoilerish images:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 17, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

those are just attack on titan panels gently caress off

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That looks p. lame tbh

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Plutonis posted:

those are just attack on titan panels gently caress off

lol

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

The Kure Sniper girl is top tier:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I looked ahead through the next 4 or 5 fights in the raws, and there are a couple that actually weren't that predictable (to me at least). One I just wasn't sure from the beginning and the other I thought I knew who would win and was wrong. The others were fairly predictable but still badass.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah, there are some unexpected wins/losses. I'll say that no one in this thread has correctly predicted every fight.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

Macksy posted:

It's uncanny
This is amazing. :stare:

HenryEx posted:

That looks p. lame tbh
Does he look too generic as a villain? How did you imagine it?

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Jedah posted:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, I just came across the first genuinely surprising match result. I'm curious to read the translated text for some of these later fights.

edit: Haha, Dudley rooting for Cosmo in his second match. Also he says "Yo! Fuckin' ZASHIKI WARASHI"

edit2: Okay, make that 2 unexpected results, with the second one being *really* unexpected.

edit3: Hahahaha

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 18, 2017

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Jedah posted:

This is amazing. :stare:

He looks too much like that crazy animal dude with the Gene Simmons tongue.

edit - Just got to that fight and yeah I was hoping for something better than dude tanks damage and then goes all crazy face "powered up" mode. Hopefully the man is more than that when he fight someone who isn't an obvious jobber.

Macksy fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 18, 2017

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
Also girl who ships all the boys is the best. While others analyze fighting technique or auras or killing intents she focuses on the real important questions like who is top and who is bottom.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.

Macksy posted:

she focuses on the real important questions like who is top and who is bottom.

I imagine the bottom gets the poo poo beaten out of him.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I can't wait to talk about all the cool fights in two years.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Skimmed ahead through the raws against my better judgement mostly to see if the doctor vs prisoner doctor fight would be cool because those were the two that seemed pretty fun and it certainly didn't disappoint. I finally managed to stop reading ahead and I look forward to the next few decades of waiting for the translation to catch up. Luckily the characters are just as entertaining as the fights so it should still be fun to read the translation.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Same. Jesus this gets brutal. I mean, the brutality is mostly extended to characters who are made out to be unrepentant psycho murderers but still.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I'm rereading the translated 'ga now and it's making me laugh how the businessman guy's character is he's super perceptive & in chapter 2 he's floored by the revelation that you have to kill things in order to eat them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

Same. Jesus this gets brutal. I mean, the brutality is mostly extended to characters who are made out to be unrepentant psycho murderers but still.

Yeah, the fight I'm 95% sure you have in mind constantly made me cringe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Work Friend Keven posted:

I'm rereading the translated 'ga now and it's making me laugh how the businessman guy's character is he's super perceptive & in chapter 2 he's floored by the revelation that you have to kill things in order to eat them.

It is kind of a recurring point that his extreme perceptiveness is subconscious. He just kind of picks stuff on gut feeling and it ends up being exactly right without him knowing why it's right.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
20 chapters in this manga owns

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

verbal enema posted:

20 chapters in this manga owns

it does. i'm glad i linked it back when it had 1 chapter

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kengan-Ashua/Vol-007-Ch-057?id=358766

In which the main character makes his triumphant return in the first page!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I realize this tournament will probably take another 60 weeks just to get through the first round, but I really want to see more of Yamashita being a doofy everyman. "Did I get the right size?" :haw:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Really loving everyone complimenting Ohma's new shorts.

This is gonna be a fun fight just for the teen CEO's reactions alone.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Mirage posted:

I realize this tournament will probably take another 60 weeks just to get through the first round, but I really want to see more of Yamashita being a doofy everyman. "Did I get the right size?" :haw:

I love Yamashita so much. I feel like the "has absolutely perfect instincts for this but doesn't realize it" angle should feel cliché, but somehow it never does. Maybe it's just that he's otherwise such an atypical character, or his complete spinelessness, but I'm never not rooting for him. I want him to wind up as head of the Kengan Association and still be as panicked by everything as before.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
:same:

I like getting views from other perspectives, too. This new worried girl is funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We're all rooting for Yamashita.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I love that pretty much all the animosity between the non edgy fighters disappears after the fights and they're just hanging out together.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

Shipping girl continues to be the #1 character of this manga

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I gave in and read all the Raws rip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

tweet my meat posted:

I love that pretty much all the animosity between the non edgy fighters disappears after the fights and they're just hanging out together.

I love Adam's look of confusion as he tries to keep the edgy persona going post-fight but grappler dude is just too friendly.