Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Oh interesting, I hadn't even thought of hackintosh but that seems a neat thing to do with one.

I was doing mine for a friend who wanted to learn how to upgrade her computer, so I let her do the sticker since I had a pack of 5 and knew I could afford a mistake or four. She got it stuck on first time no problem. They kinda want to fall in place, as long as you don't press the sticky part down its easy to move it around.

Q6600 was what I was going to get as a "cheap" option. But I figured the extra 500 mhz of a xeon would be a noticeable bump if I couldn't get an overclock going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Optane details are out, I don't think we've seen so much reliable dara before: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/intels-first-optane-ssd-375gb-that-you-can-also-use-as-ram/

I... I'll go rub one out.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Optane seems to deliver a lot of what HP was hoping memristors would do for their "The Machine" project. Have they said anything about that lately?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Rastor posted:

Optane seems to deliver a lot of what HP was hoping memristors would do for their "The Machine" project. Have they said anything about that lately?

I thought that Optane was memristors. Is it not?

eames
May 9, 2009

Netgate sent out an email regarding the Atom C2000 bug today. Looks like they were able to fix it with a BIOS update because their appliances don't use certain buses. :woop:

The update can be done remotely via SSH but requires somebody to plug it out and back in at the end of the process. That sure beats having firewalls suddenly die after a few months.
Synology on the other hand seems suspiciously quiet...

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Twerk from Home posted:

I thought that Optane was memristors. Is it not?

They both involve storing data using resistance changes, but they do it using different methods.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Captain Hair posted:

Just performed my first "Xeon 711 cpu to socket 775" mod. I must say it's alot easier than i was expecting.

Leaving a cheap cpu (I had a 2ghz or so core2duo) in the socket to protect the pins made it almost foolproof.

So for £15 for a 3ghz 4core, versus £40 for a q9550 that I just wasn't going to pay for in 2017.

Now I'm onto the final step of importing the xeon microcode into the bios so it's fully supported. Then I'll throw an old tower cooler on it and try for around 3.3ghz.

The system now finally has enough cpu power to play videos through Amazon prime. I was amazed at just how much cpu power it requires just for a video stream.

Anyone else done the xeon mod? How did you find it? It's defiantly high on the list of odd things I've done with computer parts.

Well to be honest, a Q9550 would have netted you a chip that could easily hit 3.84Ghz on Air if the motherboard wasn't a POS since those chips were amazing around the end of the C2Q days.

Also do you not have any sort of dedicated GPU to throw on there to do streaming video decoding on hardware?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Anandtech just put out a Q1 2017 CPU buyer's guide:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

I don't know a ton about processors, but this list seems . . . weird? The ~$200 CPU they recommend for gamers is a proc I'd never heard of before and Anandtech doesn't even have benchmarks for?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

beepsandboops posted:

Anandtech just put out a Q1 2017 CPU buyer's guide:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9793/best-cpus

I don't know a ton about processors, but this list seems . . . weird? The ~$200 CPU they recommend for gamers is a proc I'd never heard of before and Anandtech doesn't even have benchmarks for?

Which one? Do you mean the i5-7500 or the G4560? They're both great value chips. The 7500 is just a non-overclockable 7600K that's also a little bit slower and a little bit cooler, and ends up being a good bit cheaper because it has a cooler in the box and you can buy a cheaper H motherboard instead of Z.

If you want benchmarks, look at 7600K benchmarks and knock off ~10% if it's CPU limited, or 1% if it's GPU limited.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 20, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Alternatively it should sit just above a 7400 which seems to show up in more reviews

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What is a good cooler that is about 5"/127mm in height or less? My case right now has an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro and I can't put anything taller than that in my case. This is for a 7700k which I have no desire to overclock. The Freezer 13 looks like it would work, as would some of the LP Noctua stuff but I don't need something that is that short

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone ever done benchmarks with a game AND OBS running something at a fixed setting and different bitrates?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well to be honest, a Q9550 would have netted you a chip that could easily hit 3.84Ghz on Air if the motherboard wasn't a POS since those chips were amazing around the end of the C2Q days.

Also do you not have any sort of dedicated GPU to throw on there to do streaming video decoding on hardware?

Oh hey man :) This was for a friend's machine, I'd already sold on my q9550 and she didn't fancy paying the price they're going for on ebay, I was on a super tight upgrade budget.

So I picked a 3ghz xeon figuring that if her motherboard can't handle overclocking then at least she'll be on a solid 4 core. Though the motherboard is an Asus p5q e so I'm hoping there's room to get an extra 300-600mhz out of it.

As far as graphics go I've got her a cheap 670 gtx. She's not getting a new psu so I didn't go for anything super power hungry. She's only on an old hd 5750 so it's certainly a step up. I honestly forgot to check about hardware decoding support so I'm not sure if the 670 will make any difference in that regard. But still she'll have about twice as much pure performance so she should notice a big difference.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Yeah, when I did mine, a q5500 was about $110 on fleabay and my Xeon was $60 shipped. Plus, I was more interested in 'does this work?' rather than a real need for more speed.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Price was certainly the deciding factor for me, but I must admit part of why I went that way is for the fun of it. My friend already thought what she had was a hilarious franken-puter because pretty much each component came from a different machine as she had 2 old dell's and I had 2 spare pcs so it was a combination of the best bits from them all. So crazy shenanigans to get a xeon chip running on it seems fitting.

If there was a demand for pre - modded 775 boards +xeons on ebay or something I'd certainly look into it. I feel like once you've done it once you could do it a hundred times over. I'll probably end up doing the same for my mother's pc as she has a decent asus board too but only a 2.3 core2duo.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

What Xeon did you get? What's the stock multiplier on it I wonder. It might OC almost as good but then again the P5Q wasn't the OC friendly chipset that the X48 was that is for sure so who knows lol.

All I know is I was able to break the OC code with the X38/X48 at the time with my Q9550 after setting the ram/fsb timings correctly and got it to go much higher and faster than just brute forcing the FSB alone. Once it clicked, the thing flat out flew.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

E5450, 3.0ghz stock. The ones above 3.0 went up drastically for a couple of hundred mhz. I didn't want to go below 3.0 otherwise I might as well have gotten a q6600 and also incase it refuses to overclock she'll be at 3.0 minimum.

Almost got the x5450 as price was the same but I think the E chip is slightly newer as it puts out less heat. I've got a big 8 heatpipe arctic cooling tower heatsink so I'm hoping it'll overclock and stay cool.

But I haven't had time to try overclocking, I figured there's not much point trying until iv updated the bios with xeon microcode but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well 3Ghz is actually a good base clock. The Q9550 is only 2.84ghz and it OC's to 3.84ghz pretty easy. So this 3.0Ghz should at least hit 3.6-3.8 with a bit of finesse.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Captain Hair posted:

Just performed my first "Xeon 711 cpu to socket 775" mod. I must say it's alot easier than i was expecting.

Leaving a cheap cpu (I had a 2ghz or so core2duo) in the socket to protect the pins made it almost foolproof.

So for £15 for a 3ghz 4core, versus £40 for a q9550 that I just wasn't going to pay for in 2017.

Now I'm onto the final step of importing the xeon microcode into the bios so it's fully supported. Then I'll throw an old tower cooler on it and try for around 3.3ghz.

The system now finally has enough cpu power to play videos through Amazon prime. I was amazed at just how much cpu power it requires just for a video stream.

Anyone else done the xeon mod? How did you find it? It's defiantly high on the list of odd things I've done with computer parts.

I have the E5450 only for nostalgia/retro purposes, it's only cheap as ultimately the value proposition by 2016 is simply :lol: against modern gear.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Leaked benchmarks of 32-core Skylake-EP Xeon.

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-e5-2699-v5-32-core-geekbench-score-leaked/

Will be interesting to see the 32-core Xeon vs the 32-core Naples.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

MaxxBot posted:

Leaked benchmarks of 32-core Skylake-EP Xeon.

http://wccftech.com/intel-skylake-e5-2699-v5-32-core-geekbench-score-leaked/

Will be interesting to see the 32-core Xeon vs the 32-core Naples.

quote:

For the n1 series of machine types, a virtual CPU is implemented as a single hardware hyper-thread on a 2.6 GHz Intel Xeon E5

I'm skeptical that is all the cores. Google Cloud sells hardware threads, so "32 cores" on google cloud is really 16 physical cores. That's 32 threads of a 2699, half the whole thing.

Unless I misread and they got what google is selling as a 64 core machine.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm skeptical that is all the cores. Google Cloud sells hardware threads, so "32 cores" on google cloud is really 16 physical cores. That's 32 threads of a 2699, half the whole thing.

Unless I misread and they got what google is selling as a 64 core machine.

The screenshot was pretty clear that it was 1 CPU, 32 cores, 64 threads.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I looked at the geekbench browser, the score seems to make sense.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/v4/cpu/multicore?page=14

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Rastor posted:

A few months after they first announced they followed up with 'well memristors aren't actually a thing yet so it'll be standard ram and flash'. They just released more info a few days ago; fpgas and silicon photonics to separate dimms and procs which is an interesting choice; intel has done similar prototypes.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Xeon mod sitrep: stripped her entire pc down for a clean. Shes had the pc for about 3 years + bad fan arrangement + stoner = dust filters are solidly packed. So much so you couldn't see the orange led fans I'd fitted. I didn't realise they were dusty so I'd blamed it on the filter being dense.

Anyway so stripped it down cleaned it and installed her new 670 (sooooo much of an upgrade from her hd 5750) and tower cooler. I also finally got around to editing the bios to include microcodes which was much easier than expected. Infact the hardest part was figuring out the new bios had to be under 8 letters filename and on a fat32 partition. Then getting windows to boot was a pain and it had to do a quick recovery, it really didn't like having the bios changed for some reason.

Anyway got it all back together and booted it up, glorious orange glow everywhere! With the fan filters clean it was incredible. It's also soooo much cooler. The xeon also got an old arctic cooling tower cooler I had lying around. Combined with the newfound airflow in the case it's staying really cool.

Next job when I'm over will be to begin overclocking, super looking forward to it. I'm also really curious to run some benchmarking tests as my friend ran a quick test and was claiming that it was beating some i5 chips which sounds rediculous to me. Either way mod is complete now and was thoroughly worth doing :)

Another friend has also asked me to help him overclocking his haswell 4770k, wow those chips look like they run hot!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
4770ks aren't inherently hot, but they're the generation hit hardest by the heatspreader glue gap that was mostly fixed with the devil's canyon 4790k refresh.

If you're looking to really OC a 4770k it might be worthwhile to grab one of those de-lidding tools and give that a go.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

While I'm willing to risk a £14 chip, I'm not willing to risk whatever the hell a 4770k costs. I just found out its watercooling but only a h60, which I think equates to similar performance of a high end air cooler.

And he has a budget of £0. Sooo yeah I'll probably just help him try to get a mild overclock of 4.2 and see what the heat does.

I also have been reading that because of them generally being a touch hot that certain benchmarks will cause the adaptive voltage to skyrocket. So I'll just tread lightly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Consumer Optane announcement! m.2 form-factor, 32gb for $77.

At the moment it's about the same price/gb as SSDs were 6 years ago, so if they can bring the costs down at a similar rate, the value proposition would be pretty drat great soon and in the longer term, we won't need regular SSDs at all.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/03/intels-first-optane-ssd-for-regular-pcs-is-a-small-but-has-super-fast-cache/

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
:toot: for first baby steps forward, but I have to wonder what sort of consumer system niche a 32GB non-volatile cache could fit.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
An L6 cache, baby

I caqn totally see mfgs using optane as a replacement for ram in the cheaper systems. if 32 on a pcb is $77, then throwing 8-16gb in something in place of ram should be cheaper than full on dram

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 27, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Is it possible that now that Optane is nearing the market, in a year or two could it cause some competition and drop SSD prices as they fight to compete against it?

My world for a 1TB+ SSD that doesn't cost $200 and isn't just a crap model good for storage only. (Mushkin Reactor 1TB's don't count even if they are OK enough...)
I'd love 2 2TB SSD's to replace the 2 2TB WD Blacks I run now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Optane is unlikely to ever be as cheap per bit as NAND flash, at least according to what Intel has said so far. It's supposed to be a new niche of cost / performance tradeoff sitting somewhere between DRAM and flash.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

EdEddnEddy posted:

Is it possible that now that Optane is nearing the market, in a year or two could it cause some competition and drop SSD prices as they fight to compete against it?

My world for a 1TB+ SSD that doesn't cost $200 and isn't just a crap model good for storage only. (Mushkin Reactor 1TB's don't count even if they are OK enough...)
I'd love 2 2TB SSD's to replace the 2 2TB WD Blacks I run now.

Optane definitely isn't in the sort of situation where a mere 2 years will mean it forces terabytes of normal flash SSD storage down.

Like even if it were to drop to half the price each year, ~1 terabyte of Optane now costs about $4096. 2 years of dropping 50% of the price each year and you're still looking at $1024 for a terabyte. Meanwhile you can get a 4 terabyte Samsung 850 EVO drive for $1400 right now, or 1 terabyte for $325. How can Optane give you real price pressure?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Having a super fast alternative storage option can let Intel focus on making NAND big and cheap instead of having to chase multiple fronts with the same NAND

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

Having a super fast alternative storage option can let Intel focus on making NAND big and cheap instead of having to chase multiple fronts with the same NAND

Intel's not going to be competitive in the SSD game if their huge drives are also noticeably slower than the competition though, and I'm not sure how much that can realistically save them on production either.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

fishmech posted:

Intel's not going to be competitive in the SSD game if their huge drives are also noticeably slower than the competition though, and I'm not sure how much that can realistically save them on production either.

Theoretically if you get Optane DIMMs working in Data Center, why would you still need a giant SSD with also blazing fast performance? And now instead of spending your time trying to crank out a newer higher performing ASIC or squeezing every last ounce of performance out you can in FW you could just focus on make big, dense drives

It's all theoretical but having multiple different options with different strengths lets you approach problems from a different angle

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 27, 2017

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

fishmech posted:

Intel hasn't been competitive in the consumer/prosumer SSD game for a long time. The 540s is a terribly :mediocre: drive at best, that suckers people in because "I know Intel's a good brand and the news tells me Samsung products explode now."

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

Theoretically if you get Optane DIMMs working in Data Center, why would you still need a giant SSD with also blazing fast performance? And now instead of spending your time trying to crank out a newer higher performing ASIC or squeezing every last ounce of performance out you can in FW you could just focus on make big, dense drives

It's all theoretical but having multiple different options with different strengths lets you approach problems from a different angle

We're not talking blazing fast performance though, since they already don't have that. We're talking just standard performance, can they really go much slower and save much money from doing that? Is that really going to be a product anyone wants to buy when say Samsung offers the same storage and better performance for a comparable price?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you could pay less for the same amount of storage or the same for more storage, would you do it even if the the performance wasn't as good? I'm sure that would interest some other companies. Especially if Optane would fill the roll of high performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

If you could pay less for the same amount of storage or the same for more storage, would you do it even if the the performance wasn't as good? I'm sure that would interest some other companies. Especially if Optane would fill the roll of high performance.

There are already a bunch of other companies who offer that if that's what you want though. Where's the room for Intel to do that? And how's Intel doing it going to bring down costs across the board?