Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

Ah that's right. I didn't really play the Javik DLC.

:psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Maybe Bioware shouldn't have made the good parts of ME3 payed DLC or something???

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
In order of importance:

Liam's loyalty mission is the best.

Game is janky as gently caress, but fun.

Glad I got it for $45.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

Maybe Bioware shouldn't have made the good parts of ME3 payed DLC or something???

Truth. Javik is still the best though.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

I too didn't experience this Javik thing because I bought ME3 for $5 on some sale

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum

Olaf The Stout posted:

What difficulty is everyone playing on? Ive' always played ME's on Insanity, but the checkpointing is so weird that it's making it hard. What other skills can I learn to increase my survivability as a vanguard?

I've been playing on Insanity with Pull, Throw, Backlash. Not a great loadout and still have to shoot shields off so you need a decent gun, but it's worked so far up to level 15. Backlash is a useful though situational skill on Insanity, but it should be very good on lower difficulties since enemies won't deplete the barrier as quickly. If you cancel it manually instead of letting it break on damage it doesn't seem to go on cooldown. (It will also reflect certain non-bullet attacks as I found out during the first boss fight.)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drifter posted:

Not Joking, but The Bureau was a legit good loving game. I'll defend it until the day I die.

I liked it a lot, too. People going through ME withdrawal should give it a try. It scratches a lot of itches. It also has Lift which is objectively the best skill in Mass Effect :colbert:

Krogan fisticuffs is hilarious

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

morda sounds like a stereotypical gay man. yeah i know its a female krogan, but kesh sounds ok.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Randarkman posted:

Javik's voice actor is originally Nigerian or something I think. And he was definitely doing an African (gonna put my money on Nigerian) accent, didn't sound Jamaican at all really.

I thought it was supposed to sound like Afrikaans, which is admittedly the most confusing accent in the universe (same one that Donovan Hock had)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

I'm not saying you should pirate things, because that is clearly wrong. What I am saying is that maybe you pay full price for a game you should get the full loving game, you know what I'm saying?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
mass effect was a mistake

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

precision posted:

I thought it was supposed to sound like Afrikaans, which is admittedly the most confusing accent in the universe (same one that Donovan Hock had)

He's not doing a South African accent, no.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
The amount of dialogue that gets cut off is driving me nuts, if you do anything other than walk to your destinations as your companions are talking they get cut off by a new line every 10 seconds. Irritating

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

It definitely sounds Afrikaans to me. I notice some of the angara have more...Australian accents? A little Nigerian too.

It's kind of bad that I can't decide if that was an intentional choice to represent how they were separated into different planetary groups or if it was just sloppy. There's a lot of stuff in the game that comes off that way.

It feels a like like DA2 in that respect. I liked DA2 for what it was, so that's okay with me, but it's disappointing to see glimmers of a game that could have been really decent if they finished it.

I still don't know quite how to feel about it. I like it, it's fun to me, I enjoy the characters, but also every complaint people have about it is absolutely true.

I keep having moments of 'Oh, this is just like X feature from Y Bioware game'. Or 'this plot point is just X from Y with a sci-fi skin'. Especially with the darkspawn, but with guns this time!

I just don't know! But I'm still playing, so I guess it works for me.

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
Good lord the AI pathing in this game is atrocious. Your teammates just weave aimlessly around you.

This is the best example I could capture so far. Warning: There are spoilers in the video for the first couple of hours gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgHV8qKd_Qk

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

yeah. gotten further in the game. it definitely feels like a more disjointed mass effect 1 with the UI/open world/encounters/random factions and pointless fights from DA: I. I just encounterd the Rokoro or whatever they are called and so far they have some throw away like of explanation(angara cerberus i guess) but they don't make sense. and they are just squatting on the on planet outside the research base. in a way it suffers sorta a same problem as the trilogy. the timeline is too small. you don't get good explanations of poo poo so your pretty much blind and it sometimes it works in this game and if stuff wasnt so generic it would be cool but instead its been halo ized and now everything is THE______. like with the other mass effect games and even dragon age games, they gave you a explanation or at least an introduction to poo poo. this game, people inconsitently know stuff and don't. its weird.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Game"s been out for some time, is there a consensus if the Open World aspect of the game improve or undermine the experince?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Tiny Deer posted:

It definitely sounds Afrikaans to me. I notice some of the angara have more...Australian accents? A little Nigerian too.

It's kind of bad that I can't decide if that was an intentional choice to represent how they were separated into different planetary groups or if it was just sloppy. There's a lot of stuff in the game that comes off that way.

It feels a like like DA2 in that respect. I liked DA2 for what it was, so that's okay with me, but it's disappointing to see glimmers of a game that could have been really decent if they finished it.

I still don't know quite how to feel about it. I like it, it's fun to me, I enjoy the characters, but also every complaint people have about it is absolutely true.

I keep having moments of 'Oh, this is just like X feature from Y Bioware game'. Or 'this plot point is just X from Y with a sci-fi skin'. Especially with the darkspawn, but with guns this time!

Gameplay goes a hell of a long way to making things bearable.

So DLC will have you fighting a new and improved The ARchon, right?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Personal_Nirvana posted:

Game"s been out for some time, is there a consensus if the Open World aspect of the game improve or undermine the experince?

I don't know yet but it's not that bad. As you progress in exploring a planet you unlock fast travel points which also recharge everything and even change load outs.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don't know yet but it's not that bad. As you progress in exploring a planet you unlock fast travel points so you can recharge everything and even change load outs.

Also unlike a lot of other games the fast travels have really short (or even non-existent) load times.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Deer posted:

loving this. i like the character well enough. some of them arnt as memorable as 2 but they are mostly good or OK. the problem is the main baddies suck as does the plot because its just the lovely parts of halo. i want to like the kett but they are just amalgamations of the darkspawn and the collectors but more generic.

Personal_Nirvana posted:

its a mix of ubisoft and DA I with none of the good parts from either.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

So this is the first time I've actually played a game with Origin. How do I get it to stop warning me about playing video games for too long?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Personal_Nirvana posted:

It is the thing that most fits a Mass Effect game and yet is implemented so poorly that it is the worst aspect of this game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Apparently the Sara version of the launch trailer is out?

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender
Hi it's me, I'm the gay French Salarian who approved all these terrible voice actors.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like the open world because it's not oppressively full of icons and collectibles.

I also really like how the colonies and Nexus actually change dramatically based on your actions, if DA2 had enough dev time to implement the city changing like this it would have been aces

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
so research points are literally the worst, which is why Y'all should download this cheatengine table rather than worrying about scanning everything.

besides this way you can relatively freely experiment with different guns too.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wiseblood posted:

So this is the first time I've actually played a game with Origin. How do I get it to stop warning me about playing video games for too long?

Do you live in East Asia somewhere? I've only gotten that when I used a South Korean VPN to unlock this and DAI early.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

AngryBooch posted:

Drifter posted:

I'm not saying you should pirate things, because that is clearly wrong. What I am saying is that maybe you pay full price for a game you should get the full loving game, you know what I'm saying?

New copies of the game came with a code in the box. Mine did.

eleven extra elephants posted:

The amount of dialogue that gets cut off is driving me nuts, if you do anything other than walk to your destinations as your companions are talking they get cut off by a new line every 10 seconds. Irritating

Agreed.

precision posted:

Pretty sure it's West African.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Kainser posted:

Do you live in East Asia somewhere? I've only gotten that when I used a South Korean VPN to unlock this and DAI early.

I did unlock it early with a VPN. So is there a way to get rid of it or am I stuck with it?

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 23, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

New copies of the game came with a code in the box. Mine did.

Pretty sure Javik only came with the deluxe version (ergo you paid for dlc). It wasn't a Zaeed situation.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BattleSausage posted:

Hi it's me, I'm the gay French Salarian who approved all these terrible voice actors.

The Salarian multiplayer voice is so loving doofy and dumb

I cringe whenever he says "friendly neirboughood Hydra!"

ugh

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Wiseblood posted:

I did unlock it early with a VPN. So is there a way to get rid of it or am I stuck with it?

same problem here as well

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exWfdYFtZLM

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
shout out to the quote pull guys.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Interesting non-psychotic thread about the animation problems from a current Naughty Dog/former ME animator (will just put the first tweet here)

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/844961601732018176

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Personal_Nirvana posted:

While the lack of structured fights does significantly hurt some playstyles (poor Infiltrator, they lost bullet time too), overall it's one of the best aspects of the game (if you have a moderate tolerance for monotony). The problem is... well, everything else :sigh:

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

HOW MUCH OF A DROOLING MORON DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO RELEASE A GAME WITH AUTOMATIC VOICE ACTIVATED CHAT WITH A MUTE BUTTON THAT DOES NOT WORK.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Interesting non-psychotic thread about the animation problems from a current Naughty Dog/former ME animator (will just put the first tweet here)

https://twitter.com/GameAnim/status/844961601732018176

This was interesting thanks friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleSausage
Aug 14, 2003

I'm butter side up, baby.

Taco Defender

raverrn posted:

HOW MUCH OF A DROOLING MORON DO YOU HAVE TO BE TO RELEASE A GAME WITH AUTOMATIC VOICE ACTIVATED CHAT WITH A MUTE BUTTON THAT DOES NOT WORK.

As much of a moron that releases a game with graphics settings that cannot be changed.