Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Are they shiny on the overworld map or just in the catch screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FrensaGeran posted:

Are they shiny on the overworld map or just in the catch screen?

From what I've seen, just the catch. And a shiny for you doesn't mean shiny for others.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

mastershakeman posted:

Yes but it's a pain to setup. I got one running for my area but then realized I needed dozens of accounts to honeycomb the area and gave up

I'm fine with complexity and captchas. Link?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So they dropped the Dratini rate right back down but it doesn't look as if they've fixed the Totodile rate in return. Today I've caught ~30 karp, 5-6 Squirtle, plenty of other water mons, and one Totodile.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

This event owns so loving hard. I've added 15 to my dex in the past 24 hours.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I caught a Lapras. It's only level 8 and has terrible IVs but at least I'm one step closer to filling out the Kanto dex :toot:

I wonder if and when they'll ever let you get the legendaries and how it'll work. I can see some real problems with having them in the game; Mewtwo would just be an unstoppable force in gyms, for example, but I also would like to finish out the Pokedex entirely and I barely care about gyms right now anyway since two separate bands of yellow team spoofers keep all the gyms near me locked down.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I made it, y'all!!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This event owns so loving hard. I've added 15 to my dex in the past 24 hours.

i've added 0 :<

On the plus side I just found a discord channel scanner for my area and am super pumped, there was a lapras 5 minutes from my house. I can't get it but now I believe I finally have a shot at good stuff

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

i've added 0 :<

Same here but only because I live in a water biome and I already have every catchable water mon except Croconaw and Feraligatr. Also my new Gyarados got Bite/Crunch.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

It seems, at least around me, that Horseas and Shellders are also not part of the water promotion, in addition to Totodile, which is a bummer because I actually have a Dragon Scale and just need Horsea candy.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
My scanner showed a 100% IV Magikarp near me, so I went and got it!

... it was CP 10 :smith:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm over here in the desert full of goldeen. gently caress you goldeen.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Fish Of Doom posted:

It seems, at least around me, that Horseas and Shellders are also not part of the water promotion, in addition to Totodile, which is a bummer because I actually have a Dragon Scale and just need Horsea candy.

Dunsparce too, which is just fine by me because gently caress Dunsparce.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Julio Cruz posted:

Dunsparce too, which is just fine by me because gently caress Dunsparce.

no, gently caress YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Why... why does Paras still come out of 5k eggs... :negative:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I think they went way too far in the other direction with Dratini spawns. There are even less spawning than there used to before the event. Or maybe they have to scale them back to make up for the over spawns? I have no idea how this works.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 23, 2017

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This event owns so loving hard.

I usually get about 10% pokemon appearing that I actually want to catch. The promotion has uupped it to at least 50%, everywhere including my house has a slew of pokemon I need to evolve

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

seiferguy posted:

I'm drowning in Karps normally so I'd love that. I've only had one 100% ever, but a few of 90%+

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I got a Bite/Outrage Gyarados out of this event.

... is it good?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Away all Goats posted:

I think they went way too far in the other direction with Dratini spawns. There are even less spawning than there used to before the event. Or maybe they have to scale them back to make up for the over spawns? I have no idea how this works.

Agreed. I skated two lakes yesterday and didn't see a single dratini :/. On the plus side, I hatched one and that gave me enough candy to evolve my first dragonite(late starter). 2750 CP, 90+% IV, with hyper beam :allears:). Might not be a lot for some people but for my level 28 rear end I'm pretty pleased.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

seiferguy posted:

Considering it takes 400 candy to evolve, leveling it up to your current level isn't that big of a candy investment by comparison. Of course you should wait until the event's over to evolve in case you find a better one but higher IVs are more important than level in the long run. Also use pineapples on every magikarp you catch if you're not already.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I finally hatched my first Lapras today, and it was perfect IVs.

Yep, 10-10-10 across the board. 66.7%. The perfect bad Lapras hatch.

Glad I don't really waste my energy on gyms anyway.

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

BrianBoitano posted:

Speaking of which, are there any "roll your own" scanning apps these days?

Are there any online scanning apps that aren't limited to a specific city?

There's an iPhone app for scanning that works well.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

What is the event? All water types?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Lmao apparently Dittos can be disguised as Shiny Magikarps and when you catch it it turns into regular Ditto.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Considering it takes 400 candy to evolve, leveling it up to your current level isn't that big of a candy investment by comparison. Of course you should wait until the event's over to evolve in case you find a better one but higher IVs are more important than level in the long run. Also use pineapples on every magikarp you catch if you're not already.

Yeah, the map is showing several 97% IVs around my area. Another 100% popped up on the other side of town, so I'm not too worried. Spending stardust to level up is my only concern.

For reference, is it better to power up pre-evolution or post?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, the map is showing several 97% IVs around my area. Another 100% popped up on the other side of town, so I'm not too worried. Spending stardust to level up is my only concern.

For reference, is it better to power up pre-evolution or post?

it always costs the same whether pre or post and powering up pre-evolution means if you evolve and get poo poo moves, all that stardust was a complete waste. always power up post-evolution and only when you get a good moveset. don't spend a bunch of stardust on some poo poo like a bite/twister gyrados.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 23, 2017

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I think they upped the rate of female karp. When they added gender with gen2, all I had were male. Now I have a few females now that the event has started.

timber
Feb 27, 2017
Just how rare are the shiny karps?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Vegastar posted:

I finally hatched my first Lapras today, and it was perfect IVs.

Yep, 10-10-10 across the board. 66.7%. The perfect bad Lapras hatch.

Glad I don't really waste my energy on gyms anyway.

Lapras is kind of a bad gym defender now but he's still an excellent attacker given how ubiquitous dragonite and rhydon are. Mine also does pretty well against snorlax/blissey thanks to his relatively large health pool.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
why does this stupid game keep teleporting me to salt lake city

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

evolved my first dragonite, got steel wing and hyper beam. great. fantastic.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Lmao apparently Dittos can be disguised as Shiny Magikarps and when you catch it it turns into regular Ditto.

Talk about owned. Also a Hoothoot turned into a ditto on me.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got loving softbanned by my gps glitching. lost a mareep to it. unreal

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mastershakeman posted:

why does this stupid game keep teleporting me to salt lake city

mastershakeman posted:

I got loving softbanned by my gps glitching. lost a mareep to it. unreal

If its the same problem I had, it's a router nearby you that causing you to teleport. You'll need to disable wifi scanning that improves location accuracy and also turn off wifi.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

Yesterday was non-stop Omanyte and Remoraid with the occassional Mantine.

Today has been non-stop Chinchou and Magikarp with the occassional Qwilfish.

I wouldn't mind this idea sticking around. Two different pokemon all over rotating daily. It'd be a lot better than seeing the same ratbirds and 80 Swinub everyday.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Talk about owned. Also a Hoothoot turned into a ditto on me.

Didn't happen to me thank god, still funny though

Also you can't accidentally mass-trasnsfer a shiny, a message pops up. My friend got one last night.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

GonSmithe posted:

that's awesome. that is beyond awesome. Ditto is the best.

I caught a yanma and it turned into a ditto; this was apparently too awesome for my phone so it crashed. All I saw was a flash of the purple ditto screen and then crash. Launched again and had a new ditto. I could not even be mad (also I caught like 20 yanmas today, so who cares)

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Bring on the fire event so I can go into hibernation with this game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Mass hatch spree. My 5ks were all garbage Paras and Nidorina and one Tyrogue.

Three 10k. 1 Pineco.

I prayed to the Pokegods. Please, one Dratini or one Larvitar. JUST ONE of either! Then I can get my second Dragonite or my first Tyranitar!

......they both hatched. Larvitar.

172 candies.

Let's loving do this!

Today I caught two Mantines. Man I wish they could get ground moves, because as is they are useless!

• Locked thread