Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
so are ancient arrows the only way to do any sort of damage to guardians (besides parrying their laser)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space T Rex posted:

Oh I hadn't heard about that. Just imagine how much it would suck if the cut-scene was unskippable though!

It sometimes is, I'm pretty sure the reason the cutscene "shows" every time is that it's hiding a load screen, which is why sometimes you can skip it quickly and other times it plays the entire duration regardless.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

General Morden posted:

so are ancient arrows the only way to do any sort of damage to guardians (besides parrying their laser)

Guardian weapons do massive damage to them. Other weapons do damage as well, just "less damage".

e: In hindsight the game trolls you hard with the guardians-- the first time you run into them they act like Beamos statues, right outside the bomb shrine, and bombs are probably the worst possible weapon in the game to use against them so they feel like they're 100% invulnerable to everything when it's really just "knowing the trick".

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 24, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

General Morden posted:

Everything does damage, it's just that even the turret guardians have 500hp so it can be a bit of a chore to kill em. Walkers have 1500, donno how much fliers have.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

General Morden posted:

Are you aware of any swords that have the ability to seal things?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
oh i dunno i just got the game and was wondering when you're reliably allowed to fight them without using ancient arrows and relying on parrying

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
In the interest of science I unpaused the game while making some food. Didn't leave the area so if the game had been trying to fix something and failing, it would still be an issue. Of course there wasn't a single blood moon after 10 minutes of idling there. So if there was a problem, it had to do with the lynel that appeared to be behaving perfectly normally.

I'm gonna stick with the idea that Ganon was just mocking Link.

General Morden posted:

oh i dunno i just got the game and was wondering when you're reliably allowed to fight them without using ancient arrows and relying on parrying

You can kill the walkers without parrying pretty easily by shooting them in the eye repeatedly. An eye shot stuns them and lets you get in a bunch of free hits. They are a major durability drain without the right weapons though, so if you don't have weapons to spare just run from them.

The flying ones are never worth fighting regardless of what tools you have. Its better to just pretend they don't exist.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Regy Rusty posted:

It's been noted a few times that sometimes the game glitches out and repeatedly triggers blood moons at any time. The main theory is that something has gone wrong in the game world and the blood moon is how it tries to fix it. When it repeats, presumably the fix isn't working so it keeps getting triggered. Resetting the game fixes it.

Something tells me the game has a memory issue or something similar to it. If the blood moon is for sure meant to clean up the game to save space then it sounds like there's some corruption happening where the game keeps throwing blood moons at it in hopes of fixing it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

A friend told me there was a fairy that is a horse? I want to find it but I don't want to be spoiled on what it looks like.
Where should I go?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sade posted:

Are you aware of any swords that have the ability to seal things?

Don't even need that-- one of the loading screen tips talks about how "weapons made in the ancient past are more effective against guardians than ones made recently". Which is funny, because I had loads of those while the load screen tips were also telling me that "if you run into a guardian and don't have the right weapons to deal damage to it, just run" and further led me down the false assumption that there was some plot device required to get anywhere in Hyrule Castle with them.

General Morden posted:

Go for the legs for a dual damage/stun combo, regular arrows to the eye also stuns them. You can hack one to death with a stick, it would just take a lot of time and sticks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Inzombiac posted:

A friend told me there was a fairy that is a horse? I want to find it but I don't want to be spoiled on what it looks like.
Where should I go?

Look at the map of the Farron region. There's a lake literally called the Horse God Lake, and if you follow the road that crosses over it you'll find what you're looking for.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Don't know if this is known already but I fast traveled to Dueling Peaks to get the Swift Violets on the cliff by the waterfall but it was raining. So I shot an arrow at one and that brought it down.

So if you wanna collect those or Rushrooms and it's raining just shoot them down, I even got some of the arrows back.

Also I found an ancient arrow that I wiffed the shot on in the grass after a fight, didn't know that could happen.

Not sure if it's a Wii U vs Switch thing but I've been fighting over-world bosses before and had blood moons occur at least twice without them regaining health. Never seen an enemy get restored mid fight like people have said. Then again I also haven't had a blood moon glitch happen asides from the time one happened while I was in the castle and the game took a bit to load back and it was suddenly morning. I'm pretty sure it had been night but it might've just been storming.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Even when they deal less damage than your other options, Guardian weapons are nice against Stalkers because they only need one swing to chop legs off. And they can be surprisingly fiddly with the hitboxes, exspecially on slopes. "Swing and a hit with the master sword!" *swings four more times without hitting legs again somehow* "No, stop running away at full speed with two legs left to fire your laser. Get back here!"

So I often open up with a bargain bin guardian weapon with durability trait that's served me for ages before going to town with stronger stuff. I will miss it when it is gone, even though I have stronger options these days.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 24, 2017

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The drag queens in the fairy fountains are literally the ultimate gay feminist icons.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm pretty sure guardians have a weakspot on their underside if they happen to get flipped after chopping their limbs, but I've gone all-in on parrying so I dunno how effective that is.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Motto posted:

I'm pretty sure guardians have a weakspot on their underside if they happen to get flipped after chopping their limbs, but I've gone all-in on parrying so I dunno how effective that is.

You flip them with bombs. :torgue:

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Has anyone else had better mileage with spears? they seemed decent for the early game but now I just use axes/two handed swords and any one handers I get.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Dizz posted:

Has anyone else had better mileage with spears? they seemed decent for the early game but now I just use axes/two handed swords and any one handers I get.

What they lack in strength, they make up with length and speed. I find them really handy against Lizalfos who just love to jump around.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

The flying guardians are bullshit. Even if you parry their lasers they sway about so you can't ever hit them with it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Spears have their uses. They attack super fast while having good range, which makes it easy to land hits while avoiding blows. Spears are probably the best elemental weapons since they are the easiest to apply the crippling status effect with. They are probably the most niche of the 3 weapons though, as the defense provided by shields and the sheer power of two-handers overshadows their reach most of the time.

The only time I find myself thinking "boy I really wish I had a spear" is when I fight Hinoxes, but that's purely because I refuse to hit them with ranged attacks. The spears extra reach and fast speed is very helpful when you have to actually deal with a Hinoxes attacks because you aren't chain stunning them.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The flying guardians are bullshit. Even if you parry their lasers they sway about so you can't ever hit them with it

It is seriously never worth fighting them. Tons of health, hard to hit, tricky to parry, and even if you do kill one their loot will probably fall into a pit. Their vision range is atrocious so you can almost always ignore them which is my preferred strategy. Akkala Citadel is the only place I can think of where the walkways are so narrow you can't reliably avoid their sight.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

The only time I find myself thinking "boy I really wish I had a spear" is when I fight Hinoxes, but that's purely because I refuse to hit them with ranged attacks.

Uh, why? Just shoot the eye and go to town.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Spears are amazing for Lizalfos and skeleton critters. I always try to have one on hand along with a sledgehammer for precarious situation mining.

Greatblades and claymores are poo poo. Scimitars and boomerangs are poo poo.

One handed weapons and Guardian battle axes are top shelf.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

yeah they're not worth killing, they lose track of you at like 30 feet anyways

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Spears are amazing for Lizalfos and skeleton critters. I always try to have one on hand along with a sledgehammer for precarious situation mining.

One handed weapons and Guardian battle axes are top shelf.

greatblades are fantastic for quick-switching to during a flurry dodge, and also spin to win

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Seems like after a certain point I don't really find any decent one handed weapons anymore except guardian swords which are pretty meh even if they look cool. Almost nothing but spears and 2 handers that are slow as gently caress lying around.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

veni veni veni posted:

Seems like after a certain point I don't really find any decent one handed weapons anymore except guardian swords which are pretty meh even if they look cool. Almost nothing but spears and 2 handers that are slow as gently caress lying around.

at "max level" i just parachute onto hinoxes and steal royal longswords and bows off their necklaces

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm like 1/4 of the way through the game or less so I don't even know what a hinox is. I'd take some more Knight swords or some cool little 8 fold blades just about now.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Andrast posted:

Uh, why? Just shoot the eye and go to town.

I reached a point in my first playthrough where I wondered why I was even fighting bosses. Killing them effortlessly got old and it made me wish they were harder. Even when I turned off Urbosa's Fury so I wasn't killing them before they even got up it still felt pointless. Watching a hinox repeatedly get chain stunned got old, and climbing on top of a Talus and having it do nothing while I smashed it was just sad. I could be fighting them with an inventory full of sticks and it wouldn't be fun since there's zero chance of them hurting me.

So I made up some dumb rules to make the fights more "fair". I don't shoot hinox in the eye and I don't climb on talus. I find them a lot more fun to fight now since I actually have to avoid their moves rather than crush them effortlessly.

EDIT: That said I don't think there's anything you can do to not make molduga a joke.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

How the hell can you not enjoy lizal tri-boomerangs? Those are easily my favorite one-hand weapons.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dizz posted:

8-bit Miniboss posted:

What they lack in strength, they make up with length and speed. I find them really handy against Lizalfos who just love to jump around.

Basically this. I always keep some spears handy because spears are cool. But enemies who love to dodge are basically screwed against spears so they let you turn your brain off. Their rate of attack is also pretty high even without charged attacks.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yeah, and while they do lose track with cover easy that is small comfort when climbing up big things with no cover on them. I've done my time playing sneaky ninja without a ninja suit past them to unlock towers and such. So when I take on the Castle for real, I'll just be murdering them with ancient arrows on revenge principle.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I like to sneak up on a sleeping Hinox's crotch and just spin, its really effective

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Flying guardians aren't really worth an ancient arrow IMO and they're awful to kill any other way. Stealth is the way to go.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I like to sneak up on a sleeping Hinox's crotch and just spin, its really effective

With a strong two-hander and Urbosa's Fury, even a black hinox will die before it even gets a chance to get off its fat rear end. Which is funny because the game immediately goes to playing the sad trumpets like its mocking the hinox.

Sade posted:

Flying guardians aren't really worth an ancient arrow IMO and they're awful to kill any other way. Stealth is the way to go.

If one is in your way then they are absolutely worth an ancient arrow. Still, I never found a place outside of Akkala Citadel where it felt like they were actually hard to avoid.

EDIT: This game has such hilarious animations.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Mar 24, 2017

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
While it's on my mind:

The Beasts seem to be named after the OOT Sages governing those 'elements'. So Rudania is actually Darunia anagram'd, Rutah is Ruto, Nabooris Nabooru... but what's with Medoh? Since Rito weren't around in OOT, I guess he gets a pass, but I'd have thought they'd do something with Valoo.

Second, a cute little Majora's Mask reference: I would bet money that the sound Guardians make when you murder them is the very same sound from the Alien Invasion In MM.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

I'm like 1/4 of the way through the game or less so I don't even know what a hinox is.

You can't miss it when you find one, the name appears in giant letters onscreen while ominous Cuban jazz begins to play.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Supercar Gautier posted:

You can't miss it when you find one, the name appears in giant letters onscreen while ominous Cuban jazz begins to play.

I've wondered how this game is able to get away with some of its music choices and strangely make it work. Because thanks to the Guardians, Charlie Brown music has never been so terrifying.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
One interesting thing about Tarrey Town is different between the Japanese and English versions. In the English version, you have to find people whose names end in -son, but in Japanese it's finding people whose names end in -da, which ironically means that Zelda qualifies. Every Japanese player I've seen whose hit that point has made that joke.

FisheyStix posted:

While it's on my mind:

The Beasts seem to be named after the OOT Sages governing those 'elements'. So Rudania is actually Darunia anagram'd, Rutah is Ruto, Nabooris Nabooru... but what's with Medoh? Since Rito weren't around in OOT, I guess he gets a pass, but I'd have thought they'd do something with Valoo.

Rito weren't in OoT, but they debuted in Wind Waker, where the sage of earth is Medli.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So I go to Farron for the first time. Met my first White Bobo. The gently caress.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
I just had one of the more interesting enemy interactions.

I'm at the enemy skull base at Gut Check Rock. Round back are two black bobos and a black lizard. It's night, and all three are asleep.

I use an ice arrow on the lizard, which wakes up one of the two bobos. After first looking around for me, the bobo pushes the frozen lizard into the hot spring to thaw him before going back to sleep.

So that was neat.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Bakanogami posted:

One interesting thing about Tarrey Town is different between the Japanese and English versions. In the English version, you have to find people whose names end in -son, but in Japanese it's finding people whose names end in -da, which ironically means that Zelda qualifies. Every Japanese player I've seen whose hit that point has made that joke.

Rito weren't in OoT, but they debuted in Wind Waker, where the sage of earth is Medli.

I... I knew that. :cripes:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

comingafteryouall posted:

I was also running around the area near the peninsula right between Akalla and Zora's Domain, and saw a boboklin and a moblin chilling at a campfire at a hangover. Dropped some bombs on them, having a little fun messing around and making them confused. Drop down to them, and the moblin THROWS the boboklin at me. I'm thinking it was an Of Mice and Men duo.

I've played this game way too much, I'm at 114 shrines, but it's still making me laugh and surprising me.

I read that as "with a hangover".

They have all my sympathy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Got my first middle-of-the-day Blood Moon and I'm pretty sure it was explicitly to despawn my box buddy because we were getting too close to Hyrule Castle. Ganon is a goddamn coward! :argh: