Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hahahaha

I just got to the thunderstorm swamp or something, one of the places I hadn't even been close to yet. To my surprise, the entire area was for a shrine quest: get four different orbs onto a high plateau while a constant thunderstorm rages in the area. Naturally, the walls are too high to just throw the orbs up there, so I was searching for other ways. I launched one of them on the plateau with Stasis, but just as I wanted to do the same for the other, a couple Stalfos pop up. I drop the orb, climb up the plateau...

...and one Stalfos picks up the orb and chucks it at me on the plateau :stare:

Uuuuuh, thanks for the assist dude, clearly your throwing game is much more refined than mine

I love this game. I seriously hope they go all-out with DLC for this one, you could pretty much expand it to infinity. If I could make a wish list, top priority for an expansion would probably be more complex enemy types on the level of Stalker Guardians and Lynels (like Darknuts! Where are those guys?), more mini bosses and varied bosses than the Blights, and more of those ridiculously awesome configurable puzzle dungeons. I wouldn't say no to a giant classic Zelda dungeon either, in the vein of Majora's Mask. In any case, some more variance for dungeons would be nice, because 100+ shrines are starting to get same-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Spears are also good for the hard-to-reach Stone Talus weakpoints which seem to show up more and more on the ones I see

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

I'm like 1/4 of the way through the game or less so I don't even know what a hinox is. I'd take some more Knight swords or some cool little 8 fold blades just about now.

You'll know if you've found a hinox when you are trying to fight one and it one hit kills you with its toenail and you think "where the gently caress does the hitbox start and end on this thing?" That's a hinox.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You'll know if you've found a hinox when you are trying to fight one and it one hit kills you with its toenail and you think "where the gently caress does the hitbox start and end on this thing?" That's a hinox.

I just pelt the eye with arrows non stop. The upgraded Stasis rune helps a lot.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Spears are also good for the hard-to-reach Stone Talus weakpoints which seem to show up more and more on the ones I see

I used to think that as well but there were literally times a spear couldn't reach a talus weak spot and I had to resort to jump slashing it with a sword because jump attacks on spears just aim downwards

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
There's a kind of blunt spear you can find around Goron City that, while weak for fighting, is great for breaking up ore nodes because it only takes one hit, attacks super fast, lasts for ages if you only use it to mine, and doesn't blow your gems off a cliff like the bombs do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Getting to Goron City was great for me because it became so easy to find rock-breaking weapons. No more blowing gems off cliffs for me!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

What the hell do I do with the bulls-eyes on the ground all around death mountain?!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RCarr posted:

What the hell do I do with the bulls-eyes on the ground all around death mountain?!

I feel like they're just art. I tried interacting with them a lot of different ways without anything triggering.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I tried everything I could think of with those. I think Gorons just like that shape.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Spergatory posted:

Got my first middle-of-the-day Blood Moon and I'm pretty sure it was explicitly to despawn my box buddy because we were getting too close to Hyrule Castle. Ganon is a goddamn coward! :argh:

"Box buddy"?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Augus posted:

"Box buddy"?

He murders everything with a metal box that he carries with him via Magnesis. It's a good strat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Takoluka posted:

He murders everything with a metal box that he carries with him via Magnesis. It's a good strat.

Nice

Brightman posted:

Don't know if this is known already but I fast traveled to Dueling Peaks to get the Swift Violets on the cliff by the waterfall but it was raining. So I shot an arrow at one and that brought it down.

So if you wanna collect those or Rushrooms and it's raining just shoot them down, I even got some of the arrows back.

Oh ffs I played through the whole game not knowing this :argh:

Sade posted:

Flying guardians aren't really worth an ancient arrow IMO and they're awful to kill any other way. Stealth is the way to go.
I only really used my ancient arrows on them because hacking land guardians to death and/or pelting them with bomb arrows and/or bouncing their lasers back at them was too much fun.
Flying guardians are giant cocks though so just fire and forget I say.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I decided to go for my next divine beast last night, so I figured I'd finally try to climb death mountain. I'd never spent any time there. As usual, I forgot that this game doesn't really want you to "quickly" do anything if you're going through a new area you haven't explored. So instead I only made it about halfway up, and spent two hours or so just exploring, getting gems and koroks, two shrines, and killing baddies. It's really refreshing to be so far in a game and still feel encouraged and rewarded for taking some time to just gently caress around and explore.

My horse did burn to death though :smith: RIP Epona v.1

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Where can I get giant guardian cores other than shrines?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I like fighting flying guardians. It's fun to ground them and watch them flop around pathetically before I kill them.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Seaniqua posted:

I decided to go for my next divine beast last night, so I figured I'd finally try to climb death mountain. I'd never spent any time there. As usual, I forgot that this game doesn't really want you to "quickly" do anything if you're going through a new area you haven't explored. So instead I only made it about halfway up, and spent two hours or so just exploring, getting gems and koroks, two shrines, and killing baddies. It's really refreshing to be so far in a game and still feel encouraged and rewarded for taking some time to just gently caress around and explore.

My horse did burn to death though :smith: RIP Epona v.1

Death is not the end. You will see your horse again. Have faith.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I don't think I've ever gotten hit by a hinox. Not once

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
More Magnesis! :science:
  • Both flying and ground Guardians take damage from physics objects, but it's locked at 20 per 'hit,' so you need a little patience if you want to magnetically beat them to death.
  • Moving Magnesis objects into a Guardian's laser sight will make them forget about you, but be warned-- if you thwack them while they aren't locked onto you, they'll start quickfiring in whatever direction they're facing, and that can hit you if you're not careful.
  • It is possible to short-circuit a Guardian Stalker's AI so they just stand there while you pound them into parts. Basically, you aggro them, then hide behind your object until the music stops. While they're looking for you, move around to their side, being sure to keep the object between you so they don't see you. When you're well outside of where their field of vision, thwack them. If you did it right, they will take damage, but they won't respond. They won't move, attack, or even look around, almost like they're stunned. As long as they don't see you and you keep hitting them, they'll stay that way. Thwack until dead.
  • The size and weight of Magnesis objects does affect their damage on normal enemies, but the game's evaluation of objects weight can feel iffy at times. The huge metal door on top of the Korok rock on Akkala Tower, for example, barely does any damage to anything no matter how fast you swing it. It can't even ragdoll Bokoblins. :mad:
  • The best weapons are, of course, the huge indestructible metal boxes. You can find these at Akkala Tower, the Wasteland Tower in the desert, and at Baltrea Lake in Hyrule Field/West Necluda. If anybody knows any other locations for these, let me know. They're absolute murder machines.
  • The second-best are the huge metal boulders, like the one found just outside the Magnesis Trial. They kill regular enemies just fine and while they no longer one-shot tougher enemies, they still pound Yiga Swordsmen and those stupid health-sponge Silver enemies into paste much quicker than just about any actual weapon you can wield, and at no cost to you.
Given how powerful Magnesis can be and how many metal chests are scattered around the world, I'm pondering the viability of a Magneto run; no weapons, only the power of Magnetism! The only problem is I haven't tested those chests' viability as weapons yet, and I've gotten so many of them already that I'm struggling to find one to do science with. I'm sure there's one somewhere though. I'll report back once I've found it and filled it with the blood of my enemies. :black101:

EDIT: Oh, and one more thing-- Magnesis objects can be used to break open ore deposits and kill Stone Pebblits!

Spergatory fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 24, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

mabels big day posted:

Where can I get giant guardian cores other than shrines?
You still need to be blessed by the RNJesus when you do it, but killing proper guardians has a chance.

As in, the "Decayed" Guardians that are just stationary turrets because their legs are missing don't have cores of any type on their drops table (Similarly, normal green Lizalfos never drop tails because gently caress you). But stalkers with the legs, choppers, basically properly functional guardians have a chance to.

Test of strength shrine guardians also have a chance to drop them. I forget if Minor tests can, but I know Major test ones have it as a possibility even if they have been stingy for me. If you are not sure if something will drop them, you can always take a photo to check your compendium.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Mar 24, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tytX6sQRcCE

what the gently caress, Nintendo

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Botw is a really grim game, papered over by bright colours and cheery art direction.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Drewjitsu posted:

Botw is a really grim game, papered over by bright colours and cheery art direction.

Yes it's a post apocalyptic hyrule. Most of the folks you meet seem to have deep psychological issues as well.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Drewjitsu posted:

His mom is just hiding, okay? He said he'll find her.

That said, I'm glad all the little :smith: moments are for the most part subdued in a world of people still getting by pretty well.

Life is still pretty good, and it even gets better. Even in compliance with company bylaws.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 24, 2017

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Despite it being my least favorite Zelda game, BotW has made want to give Twilight Princess HD a shot. We'll see if the changes they made to the wolf stuff improved it enough to be worth the replay, I always thought the human combat was pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Section Z posted:

His mom is just hiding, okay? He said he'll find her.

That said, I'm glad all the little :smith: moments are for the most part subdued in a world of people still getting by pretty well.

Do you mean the missing Zora wife? Because you can! Go talk to the husband, then go for a look in Lake Hyrule. She's out on the island there.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you mean the missing Zora wife? Because you can! Go talk to the husband, then go for a look in Lake Hyrule. She's out on the island there.

See, not everything is grim and terrible :unsmith:

Not so much for sheikah kid's Mom, murdered by the Yiga though. But even they have people who care about him still watching out for them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He means the kid playing hide-and-seek in Kakariko Village.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Norns posted:

Most of the folks you meet seem to have deep psychological issues as well.

A man has abandoned his wife to obsess over chickens. A woman loves an orb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Despite it being my least favorite Zelda game, BotW has made want to give Twilight Princess HD a shot. We'll see if the changes they made to the wolf stuff improved it enough to be worth the replay, I always thought the human combat was pretty great.

I'm definitely considering grabbing Twilight Princess HD. I started up a new game of Wind Waker HD but it's not really clicking right now--I think it's just that I played through too recently and the idea of doing all the side quest stuff again (and I definitely would do all that again on a replay) isn't too appealing right now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Its me or the cuckoos

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Harrow posted:

I'm definitely considering grabbing Twilight Princess HD. I started up a new game of Wind Waker HD but it's not really clicking right now--I think it's just that I played through too recently and the idea of doing all the side quest stuff again (and I definitely would do all that again on a replay) isn't too appealing right now.

Haha I did the exact same thing. Picked up wind waker a couple times and figured I'd go for something I was less familiar with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

JethroMcB posted:

A man has abandoned his wife to obsess over chickens. A woman loves an orb.

beedle carries around a giant bug-shaped bag all day and when he's out of stock he asks if you want to browse his empty bag

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
There is a part of me that really, really wants a Wolf Link Amiibo. Playing through the game with a Wolf Buddy would fundamentally alter the tone of the entire thing, making it a much less lonely journey. Instead of Man vs. Wild, it's Man and Man's Best Fried Who is Also Him from Another Timeline or Something vs. Wild.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Norns posted:

Yes it's a post apocalyptic hyrule. Most of the folks you meet seem to have deep psychological issues as well.

what about the honeymooning couple in Rito Village? A baked apple to make he happy and flint for the husband

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Can someone just tell me what region the 10k fairy is in? I don't want to know the specific location, I still want to explore and stumble on it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

d0grent posted:

Can someone just tell me what region the 10k fairy is in? I don't want to know the specific location, I still want to explore and stumble on it.

Gerudo

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnl-FEitBbU

Welp, I guess I'm hacking my Wii U, because that is bullshit, Nintendo. :mad:

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

d0grent posted:

There are three fairy fountains. North east, south west, east. The cost is whatever order you unlock them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

frodnonnag posted:

There are three fairy fountains. North east, south west, east. The cost is whatever order you unlock them.

there are four fairy fountains??