Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug

Big thanks to Vanilla Mint Ice, Emalde, Zydoran, Tsurupettan, and DaveWoo for their awesome work on previous versions of this OP! thread 1 thread 2 thread 3 thread 4 thread 5 thread 6 thread 7 thread 8
Credit also to DACK FAYDEN, messagemode1, No Friend of Gravity, Omelette du Fromage, jarch3r, Reiterpallasch and a metric poo poo ton of others from IRC who worked on this OP, the wiki, and other resources.

Meet one of the largest-grossing free-to-play mobile games in the world, a crack-laced fusion of Bejeweled and Pokémon available on both the iTunes Store (USA) and the Google Play Store (USA). It is now also available on Kindle Fire. Non-US people can also play on the US server: Android iOS

Warning to EU Players: There is an EU-based PAD server, but it has basically been abandoned by GungHo. They are no longer providing any updates to the EU server, which is a pretty good indicator that it will be shut down before too long. If you live in the EU, you should just play on the US server.

You can also play on the JP server which has much better rewards and gets updated faster than the NA version, but that is only recommended if you are a PAD expert or you can read Japanese.

Puzzle & Dragons, or PAD for short, is a SOCIAL, FREEMIUM game from JAPAN in which you kill monsters, take their eggs, hatch the eggs and fuse them to other monsters, and then evolve those monsters by jamming seeds and plants down their throats. The main part of this game takes place on a Bejeweled-style board, but you can drag an orb to any location on the board while displacing other orbs to create huge combos. Also the art is rad. Watch it yourself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09rxfbYCae4&t=18s

Intrigued? The puzzle part is pretty neat, but there's actually massive depth to this game. Once the training wheels come off, enemies start showing up in larger groups and hitting for thousands of damage. In most F2P games this is just a bullshit paywall, but PAD is fundamentally different from most freemium games, and it's very possible to get deep into the endgame without spending a dime.

...but yes, there is IAP. You do not need it, but it does speed things up significantly. Try not to spend hundreds of dollars every month.

The resources available to English-speaking PAD players have improved significantly in the past year, but goons being goons we like to think that we maintain

:siren: --> THE DEFINITIVE LIST OF STARTER GODS <-- :siren:

If the monster you roll from the Rare Egg Machine at the end of the tutorial isn't listed on the page above, reroll!

Extremely generous goons ChikoDemono and Kuros often use events to generate new accounts for newbies. If you're tired of rerolling, ask in the thread if they have any extra accounts! If you decide you want to contribute extra accounts for newbies, post in the thread so you can be added here. You can either have your device rooted or get a device change code from them.

:siren: NEWBIES, POST YOUR LEADER AND FRIEND ID ONCE YOU'RE DONE REROLLING :siren:

In addition to hosting the SA PAD Guide, http://www.padherder.com/ (created and maintained by our own Mad Cow Fred) is the place to find goon friend leaders. If you don't have an account, make one! This is all but required if you are going to ask for team advice - just add your most important monsters and leave out the other crap.

Also, multiplayer was added to the game awhile back, so now you can coop pretty much all of the content with a friend. There are even bonuses for doing so!

The best place to ask questions is in the Discord channel HERE. The room is always active, and full of friendly whales veterans. This is also the best place to go if you need a specific friend god (like Green Odin) or want to watch :retrogames: during a Godfest.

There is also an IRC channel, #pad on irc.synirc.net. You can even access the channel from a web browser client.

http://www.puzzledragonx.com/ is the main English database, where can see upcoming dungeons, events Godfests, etc. It's a great site when it loads. Contributed to by our own Unknown_PC!

Also, if you're interested in seeing the differences between the North American and Japanese versions of PAD (i.e. all the cool stuff Japan has that we haven't gotten yet), the Reddit PAD group maintains a fairly comprehensive list of the version differences.

Zeta fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Apr 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeta
Jul 29, 2009

KWEOOOOOO
Pillbug
<reserved for important poo poo>

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Oh hey, new thread. The most important thing is to get into Discord asap and get people to carry you through dungeons you couldn't beat otherwise. It will make a huge difference in filling out your monster collection with useful stuff and evolving your REM cards early.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
Nothing more important than rolling for waifus.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I swear Voltron has been coming for months now.

Maybe some news tonight on the live stream

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Oh awesome, new thread time.

I'm happy that the blinged out Isis is still a picture here in these new threads, how long has she been around now?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Rascyc posted:

I swear Voltron has been coming for months now.

Maybe some news tonight on the live stream

Is it a global-only collab? If so maybe we'll see some LS shenanigans where if you have all the parts in your squad your hp/rcv/atk get buffed to hell and back.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
They did that with the Ginyu Force in the JP DBZ collab, but those were all farmable so the LS boost was a hot 3.5xATK multiplier

nogic
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah maybe we'll get Voltron right after we get DBZ.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011
I'm still betting on voltron just being a reskin of a JP only collab

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Oh boy a new thread.

Don't reroll, just play the game and see if you like it. Put SA in your name and add lots of goons.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

two_step posted:

I'm still betting on voltron just being a reskin of a JP only collab

That seems like a good thing tbh.

Here's hoping for FFCD, want those utility actives and berserkers.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Ground floor!

Remember, if you get tired of re-rolling, talk to me.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, yes, Voltron. A truly hot series for all the 40 year old children.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I can't believe I've been playing this game 1398 days. Holy poo poo.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

I approve the new thread title.

Rerolling is for squares.

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

trucutru posted:

Wow look at this fake nerd who doesn't know about the new Voltron: Legendary Defender series

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
GROUND FLOOR

As a fan of the Netflix showing of Seven Deadly Sins, it saddens me to know that we'll never get that Collab. I want me a Meliodas, especially if it's top tier.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not even "So Myr" :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

dragon enthusiast posted:

They did that with the Ginyu Force in the JP DBZ collab, but those were all farmable so the LS boost was a hot 3.5xATK multiplier

They probably had to be farmable due to Japan's gacha laws.

I have a full Ginyu team on my JP account that I don't play. But that account also runs a team lead by Goku with Trunks and D.Kali among its subs so Ginyu just collected dust.

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

trucutru posted:

It matches with JP collabs mostly being nostalgia bait that are advertising a current spinoff. A lot of the anime collabs like Kinnikuman had their own mobile game, Evangelion had the Rebuild movies, Voltron has the ongoing remake.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

They probably had to be farmable due to Japan's gacha laws.

I have a full Ginyu team on my JP account that I don't play. But that account also runs a team lead by Goku with Trunks and D.Kali among its subs so Ginyu just collected dust.

Once again, the comp gacha law is extremely narrow in what it forbids, and GungHo walking back whatever lovely updates they've announced has always been about internet outrage than actually violating any rules

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
When does NA get Dark Athena? I'm​sitting on a million MP and the store hasn't updated since 3/1 :mad:

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

When does NA get Dark Athena? I'm​sitting on a million MP and the store hasn't updated since 3/1 :mad:

When do we get Whaledor is what I want to know.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
My New Thread Resolution is to get off my rear end, overcome my crippling multiplayer anxiety and get a Machine Hera.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009

Pierson posted:

My New Thread Resolution is to get off my rear end, overcome my crippling multiplayer anxiety and get a Machine Hera.

Get on discord, I can help you get one pretty trivially with any in-meta lead some time this weekend.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Pierson posted:

just solo it, it's not that difficult

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

just solo it, it's not that difficult

And even if you're a crownless scrub, once you get DAthena you can do it!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
For the JP players, there are some drat good cards in the Weekly Shonen Mag collab.

Tsukumo - DKali board + 2x to light is quite good. Plus he can be paired with Ra Dragon for those resolve bosses.
Sakura - Probably the best "Get Out of Jail Free" skill I've seen. Full heal, full unbind, full awoken skill unbind plus 75% def for 1 turn. It's a boosted Odin Dragon + Kushi combo skill.
Meliodas - Seems pretty strong, not sure if DAthena strong.
Natsu - Void absorb is always great.

Good luck rolling them though. :)

Acnologia is a good DAthena assist if you don't have Haku/Ryune.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kuros posted:

Acnologia is a good DAthena assist if you don't have Haku/Ryune.

and you could still inherit him over durga or something if you do

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Tier list is bad because it ignores waifu value, ignore what it says and follow your heart. Always roll collabs for those waifus.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Yay! New thread!

Now that I've given away all my alt accounts I can't MP with myself. I should probably look into this Discord thing.

I'll probably end up rolling some starters at some point too.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Since all Annihilation-level content (any machine god, Arena) is double rank EXP right now, I've temporarily added an annihilation carries room to the discord.

If you haven't cleared any of that content and are unsure if you can, barring A3 (where you need a hypermax, fairly specific teamcomp to clear, although I personally can accommodate a fairly wide, suboptimal variety of teamcomps for A3 as long as it's Myr-lead) and Machine Athena (which is...real dumb in a lot of ways) you should check out the discord to get at least stoneclears, since it's the best time to be running these dungeons.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
3P is actually cool and good for funhavers

Ended up in a room where one player ran a Taiko no Tatsujin gimmick team and it unironically owned

edit: loving lol I just ended up in a room with a guy with 6x deathpharion who blew all his actives then promptly disconnected

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 24, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ended up in a room where one player ran a Taiko no Tatsujin gimmick team and it unironically owned
Does the drums-play-when-you-match leaderskill apply to all three players?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
No but I appreciate the levity in these trying times

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

In honor of the new thread I will sacrifice my dear maxed out Verche to Myr and get that team started.

What's my Myr team?
Light Heart makers:
Saria x2
DQ
working making DQXQ#2 Awoken
Momiji
Sun Wukong
Apocalypse x2

I've got a couple of support pieces too. Not everything is max skilled but I can get around to that.

poo poo. I haven't skill Myr yet either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm pretty much topping out at 3.7% and 135,500. I've gotten that score a bunch of times and I don't see how I can improve that without getting lucky on skyfalls. This ranking dungeon sucks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

GoodBee posted:

In honor of the new thread I will sacrifice my dear maxed out Verche to Myr and get that team started.

What's my Myr team?
Light Heart makers:
Saria x2
DQ
working making DQXQ#2 Awoken
Momiji
Sun Wukong
Apocalypse x2

I've got a couple of support pieces too. Not everything is max skilled but I can get around to that.

poo poo. I haven't skill Myr yet either.
DQXQ/DQXQ even unawoken/Sun Wukong/Saria and inherit Apoc on Myr and also on one of the other non-Sarias, I think. That's got full skill bind from the DQs and Sun plus Myr, so Saria's lack doesn't punish you. Could put Apoc in instead of Saria, but I always vote for faster skills because I suck at Myr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

DQXQ/DQXQ even unawoken/Sun Wukong/Saria and inherit Apoc on Myr and also on one of the other non-Sarias, I think. That's got full skill bind from the DQs and Sun plus Myr, so Saria's lack doesn't punish you. Could put Apoc in instead of Saria, but I always vote for faster skills because I suck at Myr.

Apoc has the same cooldown as Saria and combos better with (A)DQXQ