Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Yeah the default is E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I got the N7 Eagle last night. I think it might actually be slightly better than my Charger VI! So naturally I just carry both of them.

I also have a Falcon II and I really want to like it but I'm so bad at hitting moving targets with it.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does anyone else have a bugged strike team quest that disconnects you every time you try to use a team on it? Also definitely don't retire a team thinking maybe it resets, rip 80 mission funds. With the amount of missions it offers I probably don't need more than two teams anyways.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 24, 2017

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, I bought 3 and you pretty quickly hit a point where you have nothing for them to do but Gold missions with a 15-20% chance of success.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

It's probably better to just use 1 team on as many missions with a high success rate as you can until you get it to 20 and then worry about having other teams as that one slowly accumulates negative traits. That's what I did and my level 20 team can do gold missions with a 60% success rate most of the time.

Does anyone have a good build for human vanguards? At the moment I have barrier at 5 and charge at 6 with the full shield restore and I just charge things then punch them to death. This works pretty well in silver but I'm not sure it'll work in gold and I don't have anywhere to put the rest of my points that feels good. Maybe max out nova or shockwave for killing armored targets? Should I just get apex training to 6 in case I accidentally fire my gun?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M. Night Skymall posted:

It's probably better to just use 1 team on as many missions with a high success rate as you can until you get it to 20 and then worry about having other teams as that one slowly accumulates negative traits. That's what I did and my level 20 team can do gold missions with a 60% success rate most of the time.

Does anyone have a good build for human vanguards? At the moment I have barrier at 5 and charge at 6 with the full shield restore and I just charge things then punch them to death. This works pretty well in silver but I'm not sure it'll work in gold and I don't have anywhere to put the rest of my points that feels good. Maybe max out nova or shockwave for killing armored targets? Should I just get apex training to 6 in case I accidentally fire my gun?

I don't think we are quite at the point of people writing up builds yet. Experiment and tell us how it goes!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Has anyone bought equipment for their strike teams? Are they permanent or one use only? And do they only tick specific conditions like most traits or do they boost everything?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

IcePhoenix posted:

Has anyone bought equipment for their strike teams? Are they permanent or one use only? And do they only tick specific conditions like most traits or do they boost everything?

Huh, I didn't know one could do that. Considering it starts at 75 mission funds and goes up from there, I'd say it's definitely permanent. And the equipment says what it boosts.

e. This pack rng is bonkers. I have 1 uncommon class at X, and 3 at VI+, but haven't unlocked asari adept yet.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2017

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

I bought empowered shields. I have no idea what it does though. It does stay from mission to mission, not sure if I keep it when I retire the team. I can't even see a way to unequip them in the phone app.

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

My current goal appears to be to see how far I can get with just headbutts.

Headbutts are cool and good. Boy do I wish Rage triggered on assists, though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ambaire posted:

Huh, I didn't know one could do that. Considering it starts at 75 mission funds and goes up from there, I'd say it's definitely permanent. And the equipment says what it boosts.

e. This pack rng is bonkers. I have 1 uncommon class at X, and 3 at VI+, but haven't unlocked asari adept yet.

The APEX app doesn't say what it boosts though :v:

Also what's up "can't get a god drat asari adept" bro :smith::hf::smith:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I just loving caved and bought this from cdkeys.

I'm so weak. :smith:

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Just grabbed a Widow from a basic pack. Does a bunch of damage, but the removal of reload-canceling and the wonky reloads in general in this game hurts it a bit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Strike Teams info:

Items are permament and there are two types: Universal boosts and mission type boosts. Mission type boosts are much like traits you get. They give + effectiveness to the appropriate mission type. You can see applicable traits in the list when inspecting a mission. These can top out at +20 but are situational.

Universal boosts give + effectiveness to ALL mission types. These top out at +10 but are what you should be getting.

I think the idea with the mission type boosts was that you'd manage several teams and send the most appropriate one on the mission to take advantage of selective traits and boosts. This doesn't work out in practice because the best way to be tackling these is to run three teams.

One your first team hits level 15 or so, you should be using them to just clear out and empty missions starting with golds. Your second team is going to be your bread and butter team. You send them on the highest difficulty they have good chances with. Never risk them, these are the guys you don't want to have negative traits on. They'll also be the first team you buy equipment for. Save up 300 points for the +10 universal equipment. When you can (probably before purchasing equipment) recruit a third team and train these guys up the same as your second team.

The idea is to use team 1 to cycle out all the gold missions that nobody can handle to keep giving you bronze and silver missions which you use to train up teams 2 and 3. They'll rack up a bunch of negative modifiers but you don't care about that for these guys, their only purpose is to cycle out gold missions and rack up the occasional success.

Buy your ingame equipment before buying any strike team equipment unless you're focusing on single player.

Be aware that you will get better bonuses if you can play your dailies ingame rather than via strike teams.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FYI: Target Weak Points., especially if you have a sniper rifle. I see way too many pubbies ignore weak points in favor of dumping all their shots center mass. Not only does it give you a massive damage boost, but it'll even cripple some enemies. E.g. shooting out the eye lasers on a Hydra mech will disable its rocket barrage, turning it into a big useless sack of hitpoints.

Where are the weak points, you ask? Easy. Does it have a head? If yes, that's the weak point. If no, look for the obvious red glowy bit, and that'll be what you want to shoot.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
APEX rating seems to be pretty meaningless... just seems to be 'how many games have you played in a row or something'. I'm at ~5600 and I've just been spamming bronzes. Just started on silver.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Ambaire posted:

APEX rating seems to be pretty meaningless... just seems to be 'how many games have you played in a row or something'. I'm at ~5600 and I've just been spamming bronzes. Just started on silver.

It's actually 'how many classes and weapons have you unlocked'. While there is a correlation between playing a lot and unlocking a lot of things, I saw a guy with 5k APEX rating on the first day, most likely through $$.

EDIT: I also got lucky thrice in a row and got the Soned and Valkyrie from 2 Expert packs and the Thokin from an Advanced pack. The Thokin seems likely to replace the Raptor as my go-to weapon of choice but I'll require more testing. I didn't like the Valkyrie in ME3 and my single attempt at using it on Bronze tells me I will not like it in MEA either. I haven't tested out the Soned, but my friend who has both the Soned and the Revenant says the Revenant is still better.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 24, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Zakmonster posted:

It's actually 'how many classes and weapons have you unlocked'. While there is a correlation between playing a lot and unlocking a lot of things, I saw a guy with 5k APEX rating on the first day, most likely through $$.

Ahh. That would make sense, seeing how I dropped $100 on premium packs since I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. It's rather hosed that all the fun classes are locked behind $$$ or painful grinding...

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Ambaire posted:

Ahh. That would make sense, seeing how I dropped $100 on premium packs since I'm a sucker for that kind of thing. It's rather hosed that all the fun classes are locked behind $$$ or painful grinding...

Asari adept is an uncommon? And a few of the commons are actually quite good.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Zakmonster posted:

EDIT: I also got lucky thrice in a row and got the Soned and Valkyrie from 2 Expert packs and the Thokin from an Advanced pack. The Thokin seems likely to replace the Raptor as my go-to weapon of choice but I'll require more testing. I didn't like the Valkyrie in ME3 and my single attempt at using it on Bronze tells me I will not like it in MEA either. I haven't tested out the Soned, but my friend who has both the Soned and the Revenant says the Revenant is still better.

The Thokin quickly became my go to AR- the downsides are low magazine size and long reload. But it hits hard and the homing/tracking rounds make sure a good amount of your rounds connect. Plus it's light enough at II that I'm able to run with a level 13 Human Vanguard and not notice the delay too much.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Asari adept was the first class I got, haven't really touched her though, enjoy Sentinel to much, I did get a Turian Soldier last night and carried a pug team to victory at level 1 though, that was a lot of fun, especially having to do a device thing while spamming my heals when I was close to death cause I didn't feel like losing the mission.

I have the widow and revenant on him, really don't get why ARs so feel poo poo in this, Revenant is the only one I've found that doesn't feel like I'm tickling enemies.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

The Thokin quickly became my go to AR- the downsides are low magazine size and long reload. But it hits hard and the homing/tracking rounds make sure a good amount of your rounds connect. Plus it's light enough at II that I'm able to run with a level 13 Human Vanguard and not notice the delay too much.

I tend to play the Soldier-types, and I get the passive that improves reload speeds. Another downside to the Thokin is that its not great at long range, especially if your target is the type to jump around. The tracking works from a close to medium range, but further than that and it's not ideal. I'm still wrestling between the Raptor and the Thokin right now, though and I doubt I'll make a decision any time soon.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Asari adept is an uncommon? And a few of the commons are actually quite good.

Turian Soldier, Krogan Vanguard and Engineer and Asari Sentinel are all uncommon, too. All are pretty good classes.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Alteisen posted:

Asari adept was the first class I got, haven't really touched her though, enjoy Sentinel to much, I did get a Turian Soldier last night and carried a pug team to victory at level 1 though, that was a lot of fun, especially having to do a device thing while spamming my heals when I was close to death cause I didn't feel like losing the mission.

I have the widow and revenant on him, really don't get why ARs so feel poo poo in this, Revenant is the only one I've found that doesn't feel like I'm tickling enemies.

It's not that all ARs are poo poo, it's just that the common and uncommon ones are.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

It's not that all ARs are poo poo, it's just that the common and uncommon ones are.

Fun fact, the Charger X has the same accuracy, but better damage, right, clip size, reserve ammo and is lighter than the Avenger X.

The weapon tuning is seriously hosed right now.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ein Sexmonster posted:

I have the gold tier sandstorm and sweeper AR's and they're both pretty bad.

How do I get more strike missions? Only need 2 more funds for that sweet juggy shield but the only missions I got left are gold stuff and I don't wanna press my luck.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Alteisen posted:

Don't have the Revenant yet, that's the one AR I want which the game refuses to give me. And the AR problem is the same as its been since ME3. Low-damage per bullet made up for by a fast fire rate, so you need several shots to connect in order to do the same amount of damage as a Widow will in one shot, but it will take far longer. Benefits of an AR is generally larger magazine sizes so close combat isn't as punishing.

The best ARs will be the ones with higher per-bullet damage but lower mag sizes, like the Cerberus Harrier in ME3. This time around it looks to be the Thokin, although its not quite as awesome as the Harrier. I'm not sure what the stats on the Revenant are this time around and how it stacks up, but it was pretty good in ME3, even in Gold/Platinum.

Alternatively, like mentioned several times in the thread, carry the Raptor. It's a better AR than most ARs.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Alteisen posted:

I have the gold tier sandstorm and sweeper AR's and they're both pretty bad.

How do I get more strike missions? Only need 2 more funds for that sweet juggy shield but the only missions I got left are gold stuff and I don't wanna press my luck.

They just show up on a schedule, I've finished all my missions and now I just get a timer telling me I get my next strike mission in an hour and 45 minutes.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

How are Sentinels supposed to be played? Just run around combo'ing things?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

For all its flaws, the Sweeper goes pretty well with a Vanguard since you don't have to reload as long as you're careful about your shots.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I've got a Cyclone III so I'm all set in the AR department.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I've got a Cyclone III so I'm all set in the AR department.

This.... is sarcasm, right?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

:(

Did they get rid of cover melee kills?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

:(

Did they get rid of cover melee kills?

Yup. Deader than Shepard.

Melee is seemingly one of the most effective ways to build a lot of classes though, for what that's worth.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Chasiubao posted:

How are Sentinels supposed to be played? Just run around combo'ing things?

Basically. Also use shield (or backlash if you're the Asari) to cover teammates who are doing objectives.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zakmonster posted:

Don't have the Revenant yet, that's the one AR I want which the game refuses to give me. And the AR problem is the same as its been since ME3. Low-damage per bullet made up for by a fast fire rate, so you need several shots to connect in order to do the same amount of damage as a Widow will in one shot, but it will take far longer. Benefits of an AR is generally larger magazine sizes so close combat isn't as punishing.

The best ARs will be the ones with higher per-bullet damage but lower mag sizes, like the Cerberus Harrier in ME3. This time around it looks to be the Thokin, although its not quite as awesome as the Harrier. I'm not sure what the stats on the Revenant are this time around and how it stacks up, but it was pretty good in ME3, even in Gold/Platinum.

Alternatively, like mentioned several times in the thread, carry the Raptor. It's a better AR than most ARs.

Eh? The revenant fell off super hard in gold in ME3. I always felt like it was a serious underperformer and I always did better when bringing other guns. This was really disappointing because it had by far the best sound in the game and if it was better I don't think I would have used anything else. So I'm very glad to hear it's a much better gun now.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Has anyone ever found anything for the equipment slot?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

ShineDog posted:

Has anyone ever found anything for the equipment slot?

You can buy them in the store. There are a few of them and they cycle out. Thermal clips and juggernaut shield are in the store right now for 70 mission funds and 120 mission funds, respectively.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

TastyLemonDrops posted:

You can buy them in the store. There are a few of them and they cycle out. Thermal clips and juggernaut shield are in the store right now for 70 mission funds and 120 mission funds, respectively.

Do they expire like boosters or are they permanent?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

They seem to fill the role of Gear from ME3, but then I haven't unlocked any either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

AngryBooch posted:

They're permanent. Thermal clips is +75% maximum ammo, juggernaut shield is +10% shields and +75% melee damage.

• Locked thread