Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oldstench posted:

Nier: Automata pet peeve given to any new players as advice:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.

The Point of No Return mission is definitely not well signposted, but the lockdown on sidequesting wasn't that big a deal to me since you're gonna play the fuckin' thing five times.

E: and I think having unfinished business is thematically apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Paul Dini spoiled me with Riddler because every portrayal of him that's not from the DCAU doesn't come off as clever with the riddles or just forgoes them altogether like the one in the The Batman cartoon made by the same team who did Jackie Chan Adventures.

The deadlock-having capoeira-using Joker they put in that was amazing for how dumb it was and I'm really sad it'll never get into any video game adaptations

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Somfin posted:

The Point of No Return mission is definitely not well signposted, but the lockdown on sidequesting wasn't that big a deal to me since you're gonna play the fuckin' thing five times.

E: and I think having unfinished business is thematically apt.

Yeah, I was a little upset because I managed to screw myself out of seeing the end of a sidequest with a character from the first game because I didn't realise that an objective for that quest was placed right next to what was essentially the point of no return for the endgame.

Granted, not that big of a deal since route B moves through the game pretty fast it seems. I'll probably be able to complete that quest soon enough.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Can anyone explain if there's any cultural significance to handing out pocket tissues in Japan? I got an entire street lined up of people giving them to me in Y0

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Action Tortoise posted:

Can anyone explain if there's any cultural significance to handing out pocket tissues in Japan? I got an entire street lined up of people giving them to me in Y0

It's a thing they do for advertising, I think. Like the tissue packet will have a business name on it or something like that. Sort of like how restaurants used to have matchbooks with their name on them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Ah, thanks :tipshat:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Oldstench posted:

Don't ever do a main quest until you have finished ALL the sidequests you can first. You will get locked out of doing them as far as I can tell.

This reminds me of Torment: Tides of Numenera, a game I really like but almost ragequit forever. The second area in the game has a main quest and maybe half a dozen or so side quests. Every single one of those quests leads you to a Necropolis. If you decide to finish all your business in the necropolis before leaving so you can turn all the side quests in at once, well, gently caress you, the main quest just teleported you somewhere else with no way to return and no warning. All those quests are now marked as complete and I missed out on all the rewards except maybe the XP (I'm not even 100% sure that I got that).

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There's also at least two sidequests in your first run of Automata that won't be possible with some extensive grinding. But yeah, making the point of no return sneak up without any warning whatsoever is some classic Yoko Taro. I like to imagine he was continually asking to put in some awful player-loving design decision and Platinum had to keep telling him "No, we're not doing that."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oldstench posted:

On the other hand, you definitely do want to rush the main quest up to a certain point in order to unlock fast travel.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

I think Paul Dini spoiled me with Riddler because every portrayal of him that's not from the DCAU doesn't come off as clever with the riddles or just forgoes them altogether like the one in the The Batman cartoon made by the same team who did Jackie Chan Adventures.

It's true of the DCAU in general but I always liked how straightforward and clean the Riddler's design was (before the redesign, anyway..).

The Arkham City version of him is basically a translation of it, but since it's doused in Arkham's trademark grit and grime, it doesn't work as well. Though it at least makes sense that by Knight, the dude has turned into a mess. Unfortunately that went hand in hand with them turning him into even more of an embarrassing goon.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
They try to give Nigma an edge in Arkham by making him more like Jigsaw, but I've never associated his style of lunacy with violence. More like data theft and cyber crime. Kinda what Ubisoft is doing with Ded_Sec.

I dunno if any other villain in the games is cringier than Anarky.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

John Murdoch posted:

The Arkham City version of him is basically a translation of it, but since it's doused in Arkham's trademark grit and grime, it doesn't work as well. Though it at least makes sense that by Knight, the dude has turned into a mess. Unfortunately that went hand in hand with them turning him into even more of an embarrassing goon.

Nigma is such a mess by Knight that he doesn't know what a riddle is anymore. He toils endlessly building elaborate racetracks in the sewer system for Batman to get through, not knowing that such activities don't constitute riddling by even the most lenient definitions.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Action Tortoise posted:

They try to give Nigma an edge in Arkham by making him more like Jigsaw, but I've never associated his style of lunacy with violence. More like data theft and cyber crime. Kinda what Ubisoft is doing with Ded_Sec.

Fittingly, he's a hacker and shadow broker type in Origins. I think for me the line for him is whether he's putting Batman in a deathtrap or putting other random innocent people in a deathtrap to get at Batman. The former at least gels with his obsessive need to beat Batman, the latter comes off as far too crude for someone who regards himself so highly. Things might be hazy though because I also remember the time he threatened Batman with a giant flying hand.

Anarky is goofy, but the end of his story sums it up pretty well - "You're just a kid."

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Mar 24, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Action Tortoise posted:

Well, The Riddler's motivation is to outsmart Batman, and if he was perpetrating some kind of non-violent crime during the events of the Arkham games Batman probably wouldn't give enough of a poo poo to bother trying to stop him.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Anarky did nothing wrong

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Well, The Riddler's motivation is to outsmart Batman, and if he was perpetrating some kind of non-violent crime during the events of the Arkham games Batman probably wouldn't give enough of a poo poo to bother trying to stop him.

The Riddler would probably work better if he was more antagonistic than outright villainous. He'll actually help but you have to play his games first. A jerk but not a monster.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tardcore posted:

Anarky did nothing wrong

he was born in the wrong generation

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bar Crow posted:

The Riddler would probably work better if he was more antagonistic than outright villainous. He'll actually help but you have to play his games first. A jerk but not a monster.

I could see him as a gatekeeper of sorts with his puzzles, yeah.

I just imagine him as so misanthropic that he wouldn't even bother to use hostages because they're more hassle than they're worth to him.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Bar Crow posted:

It might be interesting if they had him sort of help Batman by giving him information on other villains, but in a way where Batman has to jump through hoops and do riddles.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Riddlers front should definitely be an owning an enormously successful subcontractor business. As far as building poo poo goes, that guy gets poo poo done fast and well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SiKboy posted:

Maybe, and I'm just thinking out loud here, you should consider not posting your hot takes on games you barely played and arguing with people who have actually completed the games under discussion. There are games you played for 60 full minutes or more, right? If you wait long enough I'm sure one of them will come up.
I wasn't trying to argue with anyone about either of those games. I responded to a comment someone made about Bioshock by making a more general point about choices in video games, and I made an observation about Metro 2033 and then tried to clarify when it seemed to be misunderstood. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Nier has too many awesome, cool and fun weapons and I can't use them all!

Platinum, please just make a FF spinoff game starring Gilgamesh so I can use every cool weapon ever at once.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Nuebot posted:

Platinum, please just make a FF spinoff game starring Gilgamesh so I can use every cool weapon ever at once.

This needs to happen. It can be a retelling of every final fantasy game except from Gilgamesh's point of view, and Endiku will keep changing from game to game like the Dog from Secret of Evermore.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Olaf The Stout posted:

Riddlers front should definitely be an owning an enormously successful subcontractor business. As far as building poo poo goes, that guy gets poo poo done fast and well.

There are Escape Rooms popping up all over here. He would corner the market doing non lethal versions of those.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scarycave posted:

This needs to happen. It can be a retelling of every final fantasy game except from Gilgamesh's point of view, and Endiku will keep changing from game to game like the Dog from Secret of Evermore.

I imagine either it would be Gilgamesh telling the story of how he's the real hero. Or just him jumping into different worlds, assaulting the main character and running off with their fancy swords.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

There are Escape Rooms popping up all over here. He would corner the market doing non lethal versions of those.

wait how the gently caress do they do escape rooms where you are? the ones here are already non-lethal.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Elfgames posted:

wait how the gently caress do they do escape rooms where you are? the ones here are already non-lethal.

There's no time limit on the escape rooms there nor any ventilation, so if you can't figure it out you eventually suffocate.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Nuebot posted:

I imagine either it would be Gilgamesh telling the story of how he's the real hero. Or just him jumping into different worlds, assaulting the main character and running off with their fancy swords.

Why not both? Steal the main characters weapons and kill some of the bosses.

Basically Final Fantasy Musou I guess.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

There's no time limit on the escape rooms there nor any ventilation, so if you can't figure it out you eventually suffocate.

Down here we got an hour time limit

After that the slow acting poison finally reaches your heart

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Oldstench posted:

Also good advice in Dragon's Dogma. You can completely lock yourself out of doing a bunch of characters' sidequests if you progress too fast.

I think the worst are Quina and Selene, because getting to the Witchwood takes you past some really nasty enemies for the level you're at and you can't even come back later because the quest fails automatically upon doing the next main quest (the one that takes you to Gran Soren).

Action Tortoise posted:

The DCAU has literally the best version of every character (except Aquaman, because Batman: The Brave and the Bold knocked that one out of the loving park :allears:).

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elfgames posted:

He's saying if The Riddler made non-lethal escape rooms, instead of the normal death rooms he does to try and outsmart Batman, he'd be making such insane bank that he'd become one of the rich people with infinite money like Bruce Wayne, Lex Luthor and Oliver Queen.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
GTA 5 doesn't really seem to have any good ways of making money once you're done with the story. Unless you left the assassination missions, which you wouldn't know on a first playthrough, there's very little way to affect the stock market and everything else pays in peanuts.

Also the community in GTA Online is bad.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

also that poo poo came out forever ago and i get emails from steam saying its on sale, 50% off, only $30

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rockstar is pretty much like Activision there, they know by now that they never actually have to reduce the base price of their game for people to keep buying it by the truckload.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And that's why I'll never get GTA5.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

full disclosure i bought gta v for 60$ on ps3, then bought it again for 60$ on ps4. i probaably wont buy it on pc unless it drops below 10, which based on the current trend will be approximately never, but i cant help thinking my own actions contributed to this situation

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

scarycave posted:

Weapon durability system, except it's Gilgamesh just getting bored with his new sword.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
one final Zelda - Breath of the Wild gripe-

I've collected a little less than half of what is available in the game, and the game seems more than satisfied with me clearing everything with that. The rest just feels like pointless overkill for completionists. I kind of wish there were a (clearly marked) extra difficult area or two to actually require the extra hearts and stamina, to give some purpose to bothering collecting them.

As is, I'm feeling more or less done.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
DB's should have given stamina vessels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

DB's should have given stamina vessels

I'd say put them on the towers or just the highest peaks. That way you have Heart Containers as a reward for defeating powerful bosses , and Vessels as a reward for pushing your stamina to its limit.