Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

The Mclaren looks so bush league without stickers, what was Ron thinking?

Probably "jesus christ, maybe I DID deserve to be fired, that honda thing was a terrible idea."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

It's actually illegal to sell milk in bags where I live and I've seen the milk bag thing all of once in my life, I'm constantly baffled why Americans think this is a Canadian institution.

Where in CAnada do you even live?

Ontario is full of bags of milk. I think I've drank milk out of a carton like twice in my life with the exception of those single serve chocolate milk cartons.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Speaking of podcasts if anyone listened to Alt-F1 it has a new name and RSS feed so if you are subscribed to it they didn't stop doing it or anything.

https://www.f1.cool/

Not sure about anyone else's experience, but it automatically changed my subscription on the ios podcasts app so I didn't miss a beat.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

Ontario is full of bags of milk. I think I've drank milk out of a carton like twice in my life with the exception of those single serve chocolate milk cartons.

Best coast.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Wirth1000 posted:

He is from southern Alberta iirc. They don't sell milk in bags out here but I drank my fill at my grandparents' house in Niagara region while visiting as a kid.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

McGuinty posted:

Not sure about anyone else's experience, but it automatically changed my subscription on the ios podcasts app so I didn't miss a beat.
Yeah if you're subscribed through iTunes it'll just work, but if you used RSS you need to grab their new feed.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I spent summers out in BC as a kid and I never once had a bag of milk out there. It must be an eastern thing because the only time I have seen it actually being used is in Ontario.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yep, its spitting. Its going to rain!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Tony Montana posted:

Bets on Williams being totally poo poo in the wet again?

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Tony Montana posted:

I live near Brighton and it's bright blue with no rain here, so uhh... good luck with that?

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
That onboard lap with Are Dan was pretty sweet

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Sooo Kimi is just sitting there...

"Why did my car just stop when I tried to slow down?"

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Thank god in TYOOL 2017 F1 cars have onboard starters

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Thank god in TYOOL 2017 F1 cars have onboard starters

They are just getting ready for the series merge with WEC

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I really like the sauber, and really really like the color of the torro rosso. not the whole livery, just that blue/purplw.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

Probably "jesus christ, maybe I DID deserve to be fired, that honda thing was a terrible idea."

He still thinks he was right.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Fuuuuck Perez is moving

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

He still is, if they want to win races and championships they need a works engine.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Human Grand Prix posted:

"those fuckers were gonna fire me, i'm glad i sabotaged them"

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

He is right. No one on the grid would disagree.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Williams looks pretty shaky

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

I still don't get how this is a discussion.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
This entire saga reminds me of the Footwork-Porsche tieup, but even worse.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

This entire saga reminds me of the Footwork-Porsche tieup, but even worse.

A literal grenade would have powered the cars better than the actual Porsche motor.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

I still don't get how this is a discussion.

Just people who don't understand the bigger picture thinking "the Mercedes engine is faster therefore they should've stuck with Mercedes."

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

Assuming your partner holds up the other half of the deal, sure. This hasn't happened. It's a colossal failure.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Just people who don't understand the bigger picture thinking "the Mercedes engine is faster therefore they should've stuck with Mercedes."

The short sightedness of that train of thought just blows my mind. How would Merc ever let a customer team beat their works team is beyond me.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The problem is, they really have to improve this year before the summer break or its completely done. They keep promising and promising and then delivering jack poo poo and then go into the press and say its not as bad as everyone is saying it is. Alonso is almost certainly not going to re-sign unless they're winning races by the end of the year because anything less means its probably just going to be a repeat of this whole narrative next year and I would imagine any prospective sponsor is thinking the same thing.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Assuming your partner holds up the other half of the deal, sure. This hasn't happened. It's a colossal failure.

It would be a much bigger failure to intentionally become Williams.

1500quidporsche posted:

The problem is, they really have to improve this year before the summer break or its completely done. They keep promising and promising and then delivering jack poo poo and then go into the press and say its not as bad as everyone is saying it is. Alonso is almost certainly not going to re-sign unless they're winning races by the end of the year because anything less means its probably just going to be a repeat of this whole narrative next year and I would imagine any prospective sponsor is thinking the same thing.

I would guess, based on literally nothing, that any commitment from McLaren is dependent on Honda continuing to pay them, like, $150m/season. They can ride out any struggles pretty much indefinitely so long as Honda makes up for it. You can see in countless other sports just how important tradition can be. McLaren's never going to struggle to hire the best and brightest engineers.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have any faith in Honda's team at this point.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Human Grand Prix posted:

#BelieveInMcLarenHonda

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I still maintain they need to hire Illien and as a show of actual loving commitment and to rebuild any sort of semblance of faith in them they should pay Renault whatever the gently caress is required to get him before his gardening leave is up.

edit:

wicka posted:

I would guess, based on literally nothing, that any commitment from McLaren is dependent on Honda continuing to pay them, like, $150m/season. They can ride out any struggles pretty much indefinitely so long as Honda makes up for it. You can see in countless other sports just how important tradition can be. McLaren's never going to struggle to hire the best and brightest engineers.

If they create a situation so toxic that Honda has to terminate then Mclaren likely gets a decent portion of that money anyways, and the issue is the team is reaching a point very rapidly that sponsors are completely uninterested in signing them because the results will never come. Lest we forget they hired a marketing guy to head up the team and they've signed zero sponsors since that's happened.

Tony quidprano fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 25, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

So then the choice is don't win titles with Honda or don't win titles with Mercedes. Honda gives them free engines and a boatload of cash.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

It would be a much bigger failure to intentionally become Williams.

If Williams were smart they'd sidle up to Honda with some sushi and a big bunch of flowers and say, "hey, if this McLaren bromance doesn't pan out, I'm sure we could come to an agreement where you could throw whatever you want into the back of our car for $120m a year and we super pinky swear not to bad mouth you to the media."

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wicka posted:

So then the choice is don't win titles with Honda or don't win titles with Mercedes. Honda gives them free engines and a boatload of cash.

And comedy, don't forget the steady supply of comedy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

If Williams were smart they'd sidle up to Honda with some sushi and a big bunch of flowers and say, "hey, if this McLaren bromance doesn't pan out, I'm sure we could come to an agreement where you could throw whatever you want into the back of our car for $120m a year and we super pinky swear not to bad mouth you to the media."

My god, could you imagine how huge that amount of money would be to Williams?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Carth Dookie posted:

The irony of this would be delicious.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

My god, could you imagine how huge that amount of money would be to Williams?

I recall that $120m was their entire operating budget a couple of years ago. They would have Alonso assassinated for that kind of deal.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I still maintain they need to hire Illien and as a show of actual loving commitment and to rebuild any sort of semblance of faith in them they should pay Renault whatever the gently caress is required to get him before his gardening leave is up.

edit:

If they create a situation so toxic that Honda has to terminate then Mclaren likely gets a decent portion of that money anyways, and the issue is the team is reaching a point very rapidly that sponsors are completely uninterested in signing them because the results will never come. Lest we forget they hired a marketing guy to head up the team and they've signed zero sponsors since that's happened.

That's what I mean. It isn't coming from inside the company. They need a third party to help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Red Bull B team looking pretty fast imo

• Locked thread