Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
:siren:UPDATE ON THE PREVIOUS PAGE:siren:

LordHippoman posted:

Bonus Content

The Incredibly Persistent Assho-

The Love Longing Brave, Astram

Wait, does his armor leave his midriff free?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I like the basic idea behind a map like this. Maybe throw in a few mages with long range tomes on both sides and turn it into a sniper's map, but this one feels unpolished. Like they just threw the ballisticians at it and called it a day. I think they could have done more

This is all even more baffling with Ballisticians apparently not getting their range gimmick until the remake. That might explain why this map is so odd.

Blaze Dragon posted:

You'd think there would be a clause in Astram's AI to stop him from attacking Midia, or at the very least, special dialogue if it happens. But nope, nothing. :effort:

It's not as good as Matthis going "IF ONLY I COULD SEE LENA ONE LAST TIME" before he stabs Lena. Which I tried to get to happen in the run, by the way, but the (fireemblem) fates were not cooperative.

vilkacis posted:

He literally only has one single point of skill more than Ogma would have if he promoted the moment he joins the party in chapter 2, and he has even less HP, Jesus gently caress Astram what are you doing with your life what chain of events led you to become this loving awful-

Alternatively I'm kinda wondering how Ogma got that awesome.

Torrannor posted:

You need that extra circulation when you spend most of your waking time running after people only for them to immediately recruit and (probably) bench you.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Either that's a tunic or he's got some serious lack of anime-muscles
Anyway, suddenly being able to shoot thunderbolts out of a siege engine is cool as gently caress and is a missed opportunity to be in just this one chapter.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

He's a loser, baby, so why don't you kill him? He's deadweight. You should say goodbye. But maybe it's all in your mind. Everybody's gotta learn sometime, once in a blue moon, a lost cause will figure out where it's at.

Devil's haircut.

RydogZeta
Feb 14, 2016
This chapter has always been a big pain for me though not being stingy with my physic staves made it easier.
Last time I played I ended up using the cavaliers that had high defense, two physic stave users and a mage that could take a hit from the boss.
The stage definitely feels more rng based than most.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

I think it's supposed to be his shirt - it matches the sleeves more than his skin.

What confuses me though are the... suspenders for his boots? That are secured to his legs with mini-belts???

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

His growths aren’t terrible, he’s got an extremely respectable 30 in Strength, for example,

That a 30% Strength growth is respectable says everything anyone would ever want to know about Shadow Dragon's growths.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

vilkacis posted:

I think it's supposed to be his shirt - it matches the sleeves more than his skin.

What confuses me though are the... suspenders for his boots? That are secured to his legs with mini-belts???

Looks like extra not-armor padding for his legs?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Trasson posted:

That a 30% Strength growth is respectable says everything anyone would ever want to know about Shadow Dragon's growths.

Well, it's his personal growth, adding it to his class (Hero, in this case) gives it an additional 20% boost to make a 50% in total.

That's just me clarifying so I don't confuse people, Shadow Dragon's growths very much are a heap of garbage, yes.

Sjs00 posted:

Either that's a tunic or he's got some serious lack of anime-muscles
Anyway, suddenly being able to shoot thunderbolts out of a siege engine is cool as gently caress and is a missed opportunity to be in just this one chapter.

You can use it on later maps if you want, but I don't think there are 14 Ballistas left in the whole game. We've blown through their main chapter of prominence. Also, that's the only Thunderbolt you get, ever. You have 10 shots for the entire game.

EclecticTastes posted:

He's a loser, baby, so why don't you kill him? He's deadweight. You should say goodbye. But maybe it's all in your mind. Everybody's gotta learn sometime, once in a blue moon, a lost cause will figure out where it's at.

Devil's haircut.

It took me a while to get this, but when I did :golfclap:

PS: If you're following the thread and playing Fire Emblem Heroes, evidently there's going to be an early availability period for Michalis' Grand Hero Battle tomorrow at 12:15 PM GMT until 1:00 PM GMT.

He hasn't shown up in game yet, but he's been mentioned, so I figured it was worth mentioning. This isn't a Heroes thread, but I like to point out Archanea game connections and such when they happen. I do have kind of a fun bonus update planned for that, and I hope it works out. Not Heroes themed, though.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 20, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

LordHippoman posted:

It took me a while to get this, but when I did :golfclap:

Unfortunately, there's no gifs of him getting one-shot by this fellow:

So the other reference one can make based on that ballistician's name will have to remain implied.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So inspired by the FE7 LP I've been attempting to do a woman (and Marth) only run of this game. I'm doing it on normal, though, so it's not really been very hard. Also I've been pretty flagrantly using all of the male units as meat shields (partially to get to 6x, but also because I can.) It's weird, but mass sacrificing your units is... fun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

LordHippoman posted:

Well, it's his personal growth, adding it to his class (Hero, in this case) gives it an additional 20% boost to make a 50% in total.

That's just me clarifying so I don't confuse people, Shadow Dragon's growths very much are a heap of garbage, yes.

Eh, I'd rather have a game like this where growths for the player and enemy are low than Conquest, where your own units are super swole but enemies are pretty jacked compared to other games.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

So inspired by the FE7 LP I've been attempting to do a woman (and Marth) only run of this game. I'm doing it on normal, though, so it's not really been very hard. Also I've been pretty flagrantly using all of the male units as meat shields (partially to get to 6x, but also because I can.) It's weird, but mass sacrificing your units is... fun.

Well, given their overall lack of characterization, the cast of Shadow Dragon is ideal for mass sacrifice.

By the way, let's talk a bit about how replacements work (hopefully nobody else beat me to it without me noticing). First, LHM was slightly off-base about their growths and bases. They actually do not have their own growths and base stats, per se. They use the flat, unmodified bases and growths from their randomly-selected class (which will always be in a class you're yet to hit the maximum reclass capacity for, gender is also random, where applicable). When they join above level 1, they use the average level of all your units, and then generate average stats for that level based on the class' growth rates. I'm not sure if this results in lower base Resistance for most classes as they level up, given that most classes have negative growths on Res, and the only unpromoted classes with base Res above zero also have positive Res growths, so maybe once promoted guys start showing up, we can observe the effect. Ditto for Magic, but most physical units have little need for that.

Additionally, the names of the replacements follow a theme, but they're different themes in each region (they all cycle through 31 names, then start over). In Japan, all the names are in German, first the numbers one through twelve (coincidentally, this naming scheme was used for Julian's twelve generals in the final chapter of Geneaology of the Holy War), then the days of the week, then the months of the year. The German version does the same pattern, but in Japanese. The Italian version's names are all based on German runes, from the Pagan days. The middle seven names of the Spanish version use the musical scale. The last twelve of the French version are based on the Zodiac. The PAL English version is a bunch of random boring names. As for the version we're seeing, the set we're currently in is based loosely on Latin numbers one through twelve (Penvo being 5), as you may have noticed. However, it's replacements #13-19 that are the real stars of the NA version (I certainly hope LHM keeps them in his party when they show up).

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

Thats what I always do, its not like they are sentient beings in 11, and I need Athena every playthrough and extra exp.

This is actually the only classic FE Ive played without an All Girls Run since it was my first FE(Yes, I survived that). As I mentioned before I dislike wasting EXP, so I chose a theme when I started 7 I think, and the easiest theme is All Girls. In 6-12 only about a 3rd of the cast is female, which also matches the maximum deployment limit pretty well, so bam my choice was made. Or cemented rather, because my original reason was the standard puberty powered GIRL obsession.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
You know, there's been a lot of Astram hate in this thread, but the fact is, in FE12,

He's kind enough to send his squad for a swim while Marth does his last bit of shopping and arena-ing before tackling Anri's Way. So I think he's a pretty all right guy. :)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

See I'm okay with Astram in FE12 because he doesn't have single digit strength and defence in that one.

Also because he comes with a super rad sword for me to pick off his dead body.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Miacis posted:

You know, there's been a lot of Astram hate in this thread, but the fact is, in FE12,

He's kind enough to send his squad for a swim while Marth does his last bit of shopping and arena-ing before tackling Anri's Way. So I think he's a pretty all right guy. :)

Clearly I missed a Dragon Vein on that map. (I actually went back into the other LP and looked at that map because I couldn't tell if you had hacked the terrain or something, but that's legit and hilarious.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 14: Gra’dess of the Sky (Prep)

I was going to do a little intro here about how Gra sucks, and their only real canon trait is that they suck, but then I realized that’s pretty much exactly what I did last time.

That’s the opening joke there you go

: Gra had been a trustworthy neighbor and ally. While the Altean army was out on an expedition, Gra struck from the rear, annihilating the Altean soldiers, killing Marth’s father, King Cornelius and stealing Falchion, the blade of light. It was a crushing blow. Much time had passed since that sad day, and much had changed. Now it was Marth’s turn to descend on Gra Bastion, and face King Jiol, the man who had robbed him of his father.

For the guy who killed Marth’s father, Jiol really doesn’t get much spotlight or characterization in this game or the sequel. His daughter’s better.

I might swap Draug out for one of the Ballisticians, we’ll see.

This is a pretty big map, and it can be fairly challenging. Just to gently caress with you, there’s a Ballistician right there. Across…

A bridge. Perfect match for that Bridge Key I bought back in...Chapter 8.

I’m gonna call it foresight.

The west side of the map needs Marth to run across and reach that village or it might be destroyed. Unfortunately, that means he has to pass through this incredible rear end in a top hat building filled with bowmen just to gently caress up that specific tiny strand of beach.

I hate Gra.

The main bulk of the army needs to work its way into the center courtyard. Be wary of this Ridersbane Knight. Gra’s units are typically pretty low level, but they make up for it by having lots of them, backed up by reinforcements.

The bottom right corner houses the world’s worst ambush from a Sniper who doesn’t know we somehow have a bird’s eye view of the battlefield, but there are two chests in there so we’re going in anyway.

The throne room is the bottom left corner, and these thieves will be a problem if they reach the chests or the village, so we’re on a bit of a clock.

Jiol is a fairly standard boss. His attack is nothing spectacular, but his defense is good, and Mages can’t melt him like most Generals without risking getting crit by that Killer Bow, which is a death sentence. The Hammer seems like the ideal way to go about this.

This chapter also gives us our first appearance of the Fortify staff, which heals the ENTIRE ARMY when used. It’s a pain in the rear end and basically means that your chip damage means nothing while that guy is still alive.

To help defeat Jiol, I’ve taken a Hammer and improved it.

No longer is it Hammer, it is Hammest.

Somehow the armory guy had the perfect expression for this:

Bonus Content

In Which Ballisticians Are Retconned Out Of Existence

So, Beck and Jake both reappear in FE12, but they’ve lost their ballistas. In fact, Ballisticians as a playable class no longer exist.

: Yo, ‘afternoon.

: Good afternoon, Sir Beck.

: Oh, just call me Beck. Also, quit the formalities. Being formal makes you sound so cold and distant, don't you reckon? So, let's talk in a more natural way.

Like Norne, Beck is “vaguely southern” and that’s about it.

: I see... Alright, got it. Then I'll do just that, Beck. Nice to meet you.

: Yes, Dame Steve. I'm honored to make your acquaintance.

: Er, weren't you being formal...? Oh well. I heard from Prince Marth, you used to be a ballistician, correct?

: Yeah, I was originally a member of an army. Even after the war was over, I travelled the world with my ballista, but it eventually stopped movin'...

: An accident?

: No, actually... In order to move a ballista, we need the oil from a special fruit. However that fruit disappeared after the last war, see. So you can attack with a ballista, but not move it and therefore, you can't travel with it either. Gettin' it to places would be just too hard, see.

Imagine being the poor guy at Intelligent Systems who one day gets a memo slammed on his desk that just reads “EXPLAIN BALLISTICIANS”.

: Ah, so that's why... Indeed, none of the enemy ballisticians we've faced in this war moved at all.

Thankfully someone wiped out the Ballista Apple or whatever.

: Yeah, that's why I decided to choose this guy to keep me company during my travels, instead of my old ballista. I call 'im Pony.

: I see you've grown attached to him. He's a good horse.

: A pony among ponies, you could say.

: I see.

Welp.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

: goddamn loving kids these days jesus if they werent paying me so much and so often id use the damned thing on them

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

"Oil from a unique fruit that goes extinct after a big war and we're only telling you about it in this one support conversation" might be one of the more half-assed explanations this franchise has farted out over the years.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like Beck. He's nice and chill.

I mean I've never used him. But still.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

"Oil from a unique fruit that goes extinct after a big war and we're only telling you about it in this one support conversation" might be one of the more half-assed explanations this franchise has farted out over the years.

Atleast they didnt try to get us to go harvest said fruit to power our sail ballista's.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Were ballasticians in FE3?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Camel Pimp posted:

Were ballasticians in FE3?

From what FE wiki says, yes, but enemy-only and couldn't move. Beck and Jake aren't in FE3 at all (in either Book, they were some of the cut characters from FE1).

That they can't move is consistent with what Beck said here, the lack of that fruit makes the Ballistae unmovable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

From what FE wiki says, yes, but enemy-only and couldn't move. Beck and Jake aren't in FE3 at all (in either Book, they were some of the cut characters from FE1).

That they can't move is consistent with what Beck said here, the lack of that fruit makes the Ballistae unmovable.

Apparently, that problem is solved by the time of Awakening, considering Chrom's army marches with Ballistae as part of its equipment.

To be clear, none show up in the gameplay, but a support confirms they're around.

I like to think nobody uses them since they'd just bounce off Kjelle's rock hard abs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

LordHippoman posted:

The bottom right corner houses the world’s worst ambush from a Sniper who doesn’t know we somehow have a bird’s eye view of the battlefield, but there are two chests in there so we’re going in anyway.

Rooms that stay hidden in FoW until you open them are from later games in the series? I think Heroes of Light and Shadow has those. And the GameBoy games, too?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 24, 2017

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Blazing Sword(the one with lyn and co) definitely does.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Rooms that stay hidden in FoW until you open them are from later games in the series? I think Heroes of Light and Shadow has those. And the GameBoy games, too?

They were around earlier, but Shadow Dragon is a game about going back to the basics (Removing most of the progress the series has made over 20+ years).

I remember them as early as FE6, but I haven't played the SNES ones. Heroes of Light and Shadow does have Fog of War on two maps, but it's the whole map instead of individual rooms.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 14: Gra’dess Of The Skies (Battle)

Time to put a stop to one of the countries in Dolhr’s evil confederation. Unfortunately it’s the lamest one, but it’s progress.

I put Beck in for this map because he has higher Strength than Jake right now, and I don’t care a ton about growths, since I don’t want to use the Ballisticians much.

: B-beggin’ your pardon, sire, but everybody calls ’em the League now.

Why are there so many generic NPCs with more personality than our actual cast?

: Shut up, you idiot! Hmmm…So the princeling has returned. And he leads all the might of Archanea, with the Fire Emblem in hand…Did you send to Dolhr for reinforcements like I asked?

: Of course, sire. Macedon’s pegasus knights are on their way.

: Pegasus knights?! How am I supposed to stop the Lea- those REBELS with a handful of…of winged ponies! Send another messenger! Tell them we need Camus’s Sable Order, or…or Michalis’s Dragoons!

I mean that guy in the chapter before this one said that Camus would be here soon, but I guess he was lying. As Ballisticians do. :colbert:

: I deserve the same protection as the rest of the Empire! Betraying Altea was Gharnef’s idea! Let…let him fight the brat! Don’t just stand there, DO something! I don’t want to die!

Immediately it’s time to get rid of that Ballistician. Beck’s on the case!

By the way, this is what it looks like when you miss with a Thunderbolt. Thanks Beck.

Thankfully we still have our reliable backup in Cord.

Here’s another free Ballista that’s probably not getting used, because wow, the hit rate is awful.

Well, I can still use Barst to open this Bridge, at least. Despite Beck’s miss, the opening portion of this map is still really simple. This isn’t too hard of a chapter if you know how it works.

I’m basically just massing people to go south across that bridge, there’s no reason to wait around at the start of this one.

I was regretting not equipping the Hammest at the start of this turn, but Barst does fine without it.

Hey, that’s cheating.

Cord finishes him next turn, though.

Unfortunately I am now painfully aware of how horrendous Cord’s HP is. That shouldn’t matter much, because he shouldn’t be getting hit often, if at all, but it’s still worrisome.

The most difficult part of this map is probably the northwest corner. Those bowmen can do a lot of damage to Marth as he walks across.

So I cheated and used the Warp Staff.

How efficient.

A mystery man!

: This magic tome belongs to Bishop Boah of Archanea. General Volzhin of Dolhr has been keeping it stashed away, but it…found its way into my hands, you might say. I would appreciate greatly if you could return it to the good bishop in my stead. One other thing… Please take care of Princess Nyna. I am counting on you to keep her safe. …I must go now. But our paths will cross again; you can be certain of that.

Well, I have no idea who that was. Siriusly.

Thoron is a pretty drat good Tome, so naturally we won’t give it to Boah. Cord or Linde should get some good use out of it, though.

And if I’m already committing to one instance of Warp Staff shenanigans, why not double down?

This is pretty much the Fire Emblem equivalent of a nuclear strike. Except that the nuke also has a pointed stick and never dies.

The Cavaliers rush us next, and they can do some decent damage. Still, they’re slow enough to be doubled, and that’s all our units really need.

And that should remove Fortify from the map. Fortify, by the way, does not heal the user, which is why this was even possible.

Marth takes one shot at most here, so he should be just fine.

Beck’s also helping Wolf out by hammering the Longbow wielders from afar.

This might have been a little overkill.

Maybe this too. But it was funny.

The other Cavaliers from the throne room are coming around the south passage, so I’ll have Abel attract their attention with a Ridersbane. General Fire Emblem tip, your enemies are usually pretty eager to gore themselves on even effective weapons if they can do damage to the character.

Julian’s there to loot the treasure room, and Barst/Cord are his bodyguards.

Caeda, this is like the first time you’ve disappointed me.

Caesar had to run cleanup. That’s not a good look for you.

Thankfully this Steel Bow guy denies his Longbow wielding friend a chance to even fire at Marth, because he really wants to shoot that zero damage arrow into Wolf!

The soldiers of Gra are not famous for their intelligence.

Not terrible, but I’d like a Strength point soon. Abel’s also pretty near max level and promotion. I may promote him early, since I’m probably not hitting 20/20 on this run, I’ve spread the experience too thin already.

Still speaking of Abel, he’s blocked off those thieves now.

This is nice.

The other guy does a suicide run for 1 damage. You may be starting to sense a theme.

Always pretty handy.

Wolf absorbs the weapon expertise of his fallen foes.

Beck only absorbs my disappointment.

At this point, everyone’s just sorta standing around in the courtyard, aside from the four I have looting the treasury, and Wolf, who’s doing his thing.

Enemy Phase 5 brings reinforcements, though!

Wait a minute.

Oh, these are GOOD reinforcements!

Everybody stands behind Marth to try and make him look cooler. That’s the kind of respect you get in the League of A’s.

Also, that’s the end of the bowmen.

I mean, except this guy. This man is a huge pain in the rear end, because he’ll shoot Julian if he opens that door. So I’m going to try and kill him through it first.

Catria and Palla both recruit themselves on Marth, by the way.

: My elder sister and I heard our mistress, Princess Minerva, had joined your ranks, so we absconded from Macedon to come and look for you here. I will fight my hardest for you, sire. You need only give the command.

: My younger sister and I parted ways with Macedon the moment we heard Princess Maria was free. Until now, we had fought for Dolhr against our will- but no longer. You have freed us to do what our hearts tell us is right. I wish to fight with my mistress, Princess Minerva. My lance is hers, and yours. Still, sire, I fear for my youngest sister, Est. She flew to Grust some time ago and has yet to return. If the three of us- Catria, Est, and I- are reunited, we can serve you all the better. I hope Est is safe.

We’ll worry about that later.

Dammit Cord, one more point of Magic!

Don’t mind me, just setting up a little blockade here. Let’s talk about our new units.

Palla kicks rear end. She has amazing HP for a Peg Knight, and a good Skill growth, but perhaps most importantly is her personal Strength growth of 45%, tied for the highest non Wolf/Sedgar in the game! She comes with a B in lances and plenty of room to grow as well. Her Speed growth is abysmal, but being in a fast class and a base of 13 helps to remedy that a bit.

Catria is extremely similar to her sister. She also owns at...pretty much everything? She’s not quite the Goddess of the Skies she is in the sequel, but she’s pretty drat close, with good growths in practically every single stat. Her bases are a little rough for this point in the game, but with a few levels in her tank she’ll start tearing enemies apart in no time.

Time to storm a throne room, I guess.

Cord pulls through for us! Not even close. :smuggo:

These enemies are Knights, and that Rapier’s just begging to get broken here soon enough. Might as well.

These two shops are also open, but they don’t really have anything too interesting.

Door Key could be nice if you forgot to bring a thief/key and need to open that up, and that Armorslayer is of course nice against King Jiol.

Turn 8’s enemy phase starts the final challenge of this map. Two Pegasus Knight reinforcements from the spots Catria and Palla arrived. One of them will always have a Steel Lance, and the other a Javelin.

Marth’s got this.

Thankfully our Mercenaries are also crit-happy today.

Like, seriously.

I haven’t had the best luck with Cleric level ups. But that Res is certainly something, at least.

Finally, I can get into this treasure room.

The other Knight by Jiol’s side falls to Marth doing the exact same thing.

Also, don’t judge me, this is free Catria EXP. The best kind.

:eyepop:

This is a good, one of a kind treasure. If you’re carrying this, everything in every shop is half off. It’s more useful in other FE games where money is more important, but certainly nothing to turn up your nose at here.

I’m going to sit around and grind EXP out of the Pegasus Knight reinforcements before killing Jiol. I’ve cut that out because it’s the same thing, over and over, but I’ll show the level ups.

Perhaps this was a mistake.

Slight pause for how rad Catria is. This is her at level 5.

Soon she will destroy worlds again.

On turn 15, the reinforcements stop. I know I made the Hammest for Jiol, but I figure it’s more dramatically appropriate if Marth gets to avenge his dad.

Also he’s level 12 and that’s making me sad.

Sadly Jiol has no special battle lines. I don’t think anyone does in Shadow Dragon.

Off to a rough start. Thankfully, Marth has friends.

Magic friends.

That’s for you, barely present, faceless dad!

You know, I’ll take it.

This is a good reward, though. Wolf’s probably going to want it.

After the VIP card this is pretty :effort:.

:toot:

: Yes, and take it back I shall, but…

: Something is wrong. What troubles you?

: Falchion isn’t here.

: The divine blade? Was it supposed to be?

: Yes. When one of my knights returned from the battle where my father, Cornelius, fell….he said Gra had stolen Falchion. And if we are to defeat Dolhr and the Shadow Dragon, Medeus…we need that blade.

Oh wow, Malledus, I forgot you were in this game.

: Did you find it, Malledus?

: No...it seems Gharnef made off with it.

: Gharnef? Then, to find Falchion…

: That’s right. We’ll need to go to Khadein, the kingdom of magic, where he resides. It pains me to turn astray when Altea is so close, but it must be done.

Next time we take a slight detour into Wizardville.

Bonus Content

The Second Daughter of the Three Pegasus Sisters, Catria

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Next time is the chapter that ended my first run. I think I was just bad at it.

Use all the fliers at all times and dont you dare promote before 20, its wrong.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I keep forgetting this village exists. I have missed it on both of my playthroughs of this game.

LordHippoman posted:

Sadly Jiol has no special battle lines. I don’t think anyone does in Shadow Dragon.

Minerva and her brother has some. Apparently the final boss and Nagi do as well? Probably more I haven't seen.

Hey, half-way decent looking Catria art. That's rare.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Who gives a poo poo about Falchion, you finished the chapter with one use left on that rapier! It's destiny! Clearly you need to save it for the final boss! (extra rapiers are fair game though)

Also, I completely forgot Shadow Dragon even had longbows.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
This LP inspired me to do a Shadow Dragon playthrough myself. Marth and Caeda's first levels were both perfect :psyduck:

Cattail Prophet posted:

Who gives a poo poo about Falchion, you finished the chapter with one use left on that rapier! It's destiny! Clearly you need to save it for the final boss! (extra rapiers are fair game though)

Also, yes, I vote for this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I have probably said this before, but it bears repeating: I love when an enemy's reaction to you showing up is "oh poo poo, the protagonists, this is going to suck". I mean it's probably meant to convey this guy being a useless coward, but it really just makes him seem like the only one who knows what's up.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What the soldier forgot to point out was the fourth A of the League: Asskicking.

I'd say assassination but that class wasn't brought into SD, Thieves can't promote.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Next time is the chapter that ended my first run. I think I was just bad at it.

The next map can be tricky because it has two obnoxious elements to it that you don't really see anywhere else in the game. A truckload of mages and an invincible murder wizard slowly advancing towards you.

Camel Pimp posted:

Hey, half-way decent looking Catria art. That's rare.

It was an executive decision to post her promoted card and not the unpromoted one.

Cattail Prophet posted:

Also, I completely forgot Shadow Dragon even had longbows.

Longbows have this bizarre restriction where ONLY Archers/Snipers can use them for some reason. I guess that's an indirect buff to Archer/Sniper before Fates jammed them full of steroids, but it's dumb and makes the weapon a lot less usable.

LifeofaGuardian posted:

This LP inspired me to do a Shadow Dragon playthrough myself. Marth and Caeda's first levels were both perfect :psyduck:

Please doublecheck your cartridge, I don't know if that can happen in Shadow Dragon. You may have inserted a copy of Awakening by mistake.

vilkacis posted:

I have probably said this before, but it bears repeating: I love when an enemy's reaction to you showing up is "oh poo poo, the protagonists, this is going to suck". I mean it's probably meant to convey this guy being a useless coward, but it really just makes him seem like the only one who knows what's up.

I think the last time you said this was in the Gra chapter in the last game, and I totally agree with you, it's interesting to see them acknowledge the sheer force of the army that's just spent 14 chapters dismantling all of their territory without a single loss.

Blaze Dragon posted:

What the soldier forgot to point out was the fourth A of the League: Asskicking.

I was going to say Astram but hahahaha let's be realistic here.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

It could be the mages, or it could be being 12ish.

Also youre just not using Norne as a murder machine, pink hair is power in fire emblem. Also I'm pretty sure you, the player dont get any longbows because I dont remember ever using one.

Also hey Vilk, I'm on a Suikoden series runthrough and I gotta thank you again for giving me the power to just quit 4 and read it instead when I get there.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

MythosDragon posted:

Also hey Vilk, I'm on a Suikoden series runthrough and I gotta thank you again for giving me the power to just quit 4 and read it instead when I get there.

What a coincidence, I started playing through the Suikoden series recently, myself, and had much the same thought! :hfive:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:tipshat:

When you think about it, I'm kind of like a jrpg protagonist, enduring all sorts of hardships so that others won't have to suffer.

(Unfortunately, lping runs on something like Final Fantasy II rules, so the only stat gains you get out of it are the ones that make you better at lping. :saddowns:)

((Edit: Or sometimes not even that, obviously. :saddowns:2))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

:tipshat:

When you think about it, I'm kind of like a jrpg protagonist, enduring all sorts of hardships so that others won't have to suffer.

(Unfortunately, lping runs on something like Final Fantasy II rules, so the only stat gains you get out of it are the ones that make you better at lping. :saddowns:)

((Edit: Or sometimes not even that, obviously. :saddowns:2))

Any plans to flex those stats in the future? My First LP was actually your Suikoden 5 one, when I was playing it 2-3 years ago. I'd love to actually participate in you making one.

To make this slightly more on topic I'll share some knowledge; There is a complete Translation of the Shadow Dragon manga that actually gives the characters a bit of a personality if anyones interested in looking it up. It's based off the original so its lacking copious amounts of Norne and Athena, however.

• Locked thread