Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What? That doesn't even seem possible.

If you use the cheat that sets the opponent's LP to zero, you still need to hit them with some form of damage or else the game doesn't check if they've lost or not. So what he should have done was include lots and lots of direct damage cards in his deck - there's a decent number of them.

PMush Perfect posted:

You are a saint. Can you give me the For Dummies version of the directions on how to turn off the Permanent Effects sweep, with the code thing, on VBA?

Open the cheat list, hit the "Code" button under "Add", type a description if you care, then type in 02021C08:01 for the code. Then hit "OK".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Yeah, that was a mistake on my part. Or maybe I did include them and it just took a while for them to come up. I can't remember; it's been years at this point since I've touched this game.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
So...how much trouble have you been having thus far? With the way these updates are paced, it seems like you're flying through the game without much trouble. Did you grind for all that long, or did you just get rolling as soon as you got Hoshiningen and Hourglass?

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Fionordequester posted:

So...how much trouble have you been having thus far? With the way these updates are paced, it seems like you're flying through the game without much trouble. Did you grind for all that long, or did you just get rolling as soon as you got Hoshiningen and Hourglass?

Grinding for the Hourglasses and trap cards did take awhile, yes. I also don't show myself resetting over and over until I get a duel with a decent opening hand. That's usually required even after the grinding to get a good deck going.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've been playing the patched version, and it's much more fun.

I noticed that Tristan and Duke still only give 1 Deck Capacity when you win, though.

Edit The Duel Computer, too.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 21, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been playing the patched version, and it's much more fun.

I noticed that Tristan and Duke still only give 1 Deck Capacity when you win, though.

Edit The Duel Computer, too.

Well I've got a new patch in the works, so that won't be a problem.

Kinda wondering if there isn't a way to make Ritual monsters more..."playable" in this game's engine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well now I'm wondering what the deal is with Ritual Monsters. I never used them in these games.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well now I'm wondering what the deal is with Ritual Monsters. I never used them in these games.

He said in the earlier games that Rituals require you to tribute specific monsters, but otherwise work as they do in the real game.

So you need the de facto Fusion materials on the field, and to draw the Ritual card, and to draw the Ritual monster - there is no extra deck.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Sorites posted:

He said in the earlier games that Rituals require you to tribute specific monsters, but otherwise work as they do in the real game.

So you need the de facto Fusion materials on the field, and to draw the Ritual card, and to draw the Ritual monster - there is no extra deck.

No no, that's not quite how they work in this game.

In the TCG, you need to draw the Ritual Spell, the Ritual Monster, and then you need monsters on the field or in your hand whose total level stars are equal to that of the Ritual Monster.

In Duel Monsters 2 and Forbidden Memories, you need to draw the Ritual Spell and three specific monsters, and have all those monsters on the field when you cast the spell. (Example: Gate Guardian Ritual requires Sanga, Suijin and Kazejin all on the field at once)

From Dark Duel Stories onwards they changed it. You need to draw the Ritual Spell, have just one specific monster on the field, and two other monsters to tribute. (Example: To summon Magician of Black Chaos, you need Dark Magician and any two other monsters on the field) Gate Guardian and Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragon still require three specific monsters, though.

Reshef of Destruction has something pretty hilarious in store regarding all this, however. I'd love to think of a way for Ritual Summoning to still be a game mechanic without being so crappy. I've actually written a card effect for the game with ASM hacking just to prove it's possible.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I found a pretty good summation of the problems with RoD. Excluded a few things that haven't come up yet.

Sabrina posted:

This, in itself, is a good showing of just why Reshef of Destruction's gameplay isn't fun: it's never a competition between equals. The game may feature 800 cards, but between Deck Cost, Duelist Level, the limited opponents you can grind ante cards against, and the execrable pricing structure, the player will only ever be able to obtain a fraction of them. This, in turn, makes it nigh-impossible to actually form a cohesive strategy, much less a Deck that's uniquely yours. Just creating something functional is so important to gameplay that it actually stifles creativity. And because the grinding is so slow, the player has no chance of creating a Deck that's consistently able to actually match the challenges they face.

Let's assume we want to create a Deck capable of matching (Duelist). He played mostly cards in the 1100-1200 range. To have a Deck containing twenty cards with stats of 1100 or better, we would have to have a Deck Capacity of at least 2060 - even if the only other cards in that Deck were twenty copies of 0-cost cards like Sparks or Infinite Dismissal.

So instead, the player is forced to pack a few cards that can consistently beat the opponent, instead of spreading themselves thin. The rest of their Deck atrophies and suffers, and the player resigns themselves to their strategy devolving to "draw the card that can win."

And that just isn't fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Honestly, even patched, it kind of has that problem a little bit. Either I'm going to have to keep grinding for Deck Capacity, or just deal with the fact that sometimes, I'm not going to draw anything with a power over 700 while some random schmuck drops a Cozmo Queen on my rear end.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Reshef of Destruction part 3

We're back after a bit of an unintentional break and being genuinely happy about the conclusion of the current Yu-Gi-Oh season! But now it's back to this. Mokuba's available to duel now. In case you've never faced him in a video game before, he is the biggest joke opponent of all time. Like, you have to lose duels to unlock him in other games.

Anyhow! A random catacomb in Italy it is. Why not a random catacomb in Japan? Who knows, Mega Man and Digimon have pulled the whole "pointless world tour" thing, I won't complain about it here.

Just inside are an elderly couple who have never heard of dueling and think we want to sing. Pretty amusing, actually.

And...Bonz? Seriously? I didn't know he was Italian. And yet he speaks decent enough English. Or Japanese. Or-- yeah enough of that.

Bonz knows something about the catacombs we want to know, but he won't spill it without a duel, as usual.

His zombie monsters are mostly Fiend attribute, except for the clowns. They're Dream attribute for some reason. Pumpking the King of Ghosts is Forest attribute, but he's never gonna summon it.

Then there's this. 1500 attack points for every card in my hand. Maximum of 11,500.

After the duel, Keith shows up basically just to taunt us. Flew all the way to Italy for that, did he?

He's made minions out of the Ghouls, in spite of the fact that in Sacred Cards you can find him in a building you have no idea you can enter, re-match him, and maybe convince him to change his ways. But I guess that's not canon.

Arkana, too? These guys really can't turn their lives around. So Keith tells us what we're looking for isn't here. Like he knows where it actually is.

Bonz knows where to find it, though.

Thanks, Bonz! You're a pretty cool guy despite the zombie face.

Another Millenium Guardian. This one suffers from a very bad AI problem.

You can see that he has me cornered with that Thunder Dragon, which has 1600 attack points and the Thunder attribute.

He then TRIBUTES IT for a Succubus Knight, a monster with a whopping FIFTY POINTS MORE than the Thunder Dragon. It then rams its face into my Dream monster, the attribute it's WEAK AGAINST. I mean, the AI cannot "see" your face-down cards, but come on, there was no reason to throw out Thunder Dragon just for fifty extra points!

With that out of the way, I set up the usual comboes. Not sure if I should feel bad about winning that one because the AI messed up, but we move on regardless.

We get an interesting prize card. Toad Master's effect is to summon Frog the Jam, a monster with way more history and background than a simple frog slime deserves. 700 attack points and no effect, and yet people use him in the TCG, it's hilarious.

Uh-oh, the Millenium Ring! Hope the spirit inside doesn't possess anyone!

Actually he doesn't appear in this game at all outside this one single cameo and the post-game. Did I mention there's post-game?

Item number four is located in a foreign country yet again, but, uh, we have business to take care of first.

See, this game has a really bullshit sidequest, but to start it, you have to duel Mai Valentine. (I think so, anyways. I was gonna duel her anyhow, though.)

Just like before, use Forest and Water monsters to knock her birds out of the sky, whatever attribute they're weak against.

Defeat her, then head to the game shop to find Duke and Tristan dueling.

Yes, they did in fact make a card based on Konami's Gradius game. Of course someone forgot to inform whoever was in charge of translating the cards that "Gradius" isn't the name of the ship, it's the name of the planet it defends. The ship is called "Vic Viper".

Apparently, the two were dueling over who gets a chance to ask Joey's little sister out on a date. Yep, that's Tristan and Duke: Anime love triangle comic relief, though it's mostly a trait shown only in the filler season.

So then Serenity shows up, and Duke wastes no time working his magic.

Pack it up, gentlemen, she's not into boys! Or she might just be too young for the whole love thing, haven't decided yet.

...Okay you know what, I figured these were just going to be filler scenes, but now I'm genuinely interested. This is sure to be a trainwreck.

Let's head back to Mai Valentine and see if Tristan and Duke manage to last long enough for us to get there before they lose.

Uh...my mistake, she seems to have taken advantage of the situation and forced them to swab the deck! This just got very amusing.

They ask what all the cleaning has to do with dueling, so she suggests a "training quest" to get rid of them. Now where would they train? Besides a literal train, that is.

Kaiba Corporation! Duh! Anyone could figure out that's where to go next for this series of scenes.

Ah, they want to train on the Duel Computer. They must know you can farm it for Bear Traps, I guess.

...Or not. Oh man, I wish you could spectate these duels like you can in some of the other games!

Ooooh, I wish I knew a good GLaDOS joke.

"Well done. Here come the test results. 'You are a horrible duelist.' That's what it says! A horrible duelist! We weren't even TESTING for that!"

What do you mean? There isn't some kind of horrible ranking system like Forbidden Memories has.

We head back to the game shop and Joey asks Serenity what we're all wondering now.

Come again?

Oh right, she just thinks Joey's asking about friends.

No incest jokes please, this is not Fire Emblem.

Duke and Tristan are promptly told to shove off, and everything goes back to normal.

So what was the point of all that? These four scenes unlock a sidequest. HOWEVER. If you get the fourth Millenium Item and you haven't viewed all these scenes? You lose access to the sidequest ENTIRELY. The sidequest doesn't even happen until after you get the SIXTH Millenium Item! I mean it's not a sidequest of critical importance, but geez!

So it's off to China, where someone has set up a noodle stand on the Great Wall. Great location for it.

Joey points out that there's something weird about these guys if you attempt to challenge them. Maybe you noticed already just by their sprites. Or you may have noticed they always talk in rhymes.

They turn out to be the Paradox Brothers, a pair of one-off villains from the Duelist Kingdom tournament, and apparently they're under new employment. They're fan-favorites for challenging Yugi and Joey to the first Tag Duel of the series, and they do the same thing with the main characters of Yu-Gi-Oh! GX.

The mosnters to watch out for here are Fiend and Forest attribute monsters. The computers are starting to get stronger cards. Oh, and that Darkness field might hurt your Light monsters, since most of mine are Fairy-type.

Now let's see what the reward for this vic-

.......WHAT!?

FIVE HUNDRED EIGHTY-FIVE?! You think a one-tribute defensive wall is worth FIVE HUNDRED EIGHTY-FIVE CAPACITY?! How in the HELL do I even get my Duelist Level that high?! It would take WELL OVER ONE THOUSAND DUELS! The card dies in one hit to any Wind monster no matter how high its stats are! And you know what, this is the highest-costing card in Sacred Cards, but not in this game. There's WORSE!

With Para defeated, Dox does several backflips into the scene. Oh no, there's two of them now! Whatever shall we do?!

How about a surprise appearance by Seto Kaiba?!

Seriously, what the hell is he doing here?

I choose to duel Dox, which looks pretty bad considering he has Jurai Gumo there. No tributes, 2200 attack points, Forest attribute...

...but my Flame Swordsman is gonna heat things up!

...dunno why I chose that line, of all things...

I guess they don't have any Shadow monsters?

Oh, good animation!

Okay, bullshit. Nothing YOU did helped me in MY duel, since this isn't a tag battle, and even if you WEREN'T here, I have two...ACQUAINTANCES, let's say, following me around like lovesick puppies. You don't suppose THEY could have dueled in your place, do you?!

Oh wait, they just stand around and do nothing, the player's the one doing all the hard work in this game!

Yeah, and your plan for accomplishing this IS?!

Mokuba makes some remark about Kaiba actually wanting to help us, whatever, I don't give a drat, I don't need HIS help, he's horrible at dueling. Every character in this game is a bad duelist except me.

Millenium Guardian number four. If there was something interesting about him besides "his monsters are stronger" I'd have screencapped it.

The Millenium Eye! Now we can read everyone's minds and win all the duels from here on out easy...nah, of course not, we'd never USE the items, that'd be just silly.

It's that guy from the intro! And the Millenium Eye was originally owned by...

He insists that his new name is "Sol Chevasky" like changing your name means anything at all.

Probably too much of a Sephiroth clone, actually...

So we take the items back to Ishizu to revive God Card number 2.

Obelisk the Tormentor is the same as he was in Sacred Cards, which would actually solve a lot of issues in the coming--

Oh, right. I forgot. The Gods choose their wielders.

So naturally it would pick the worst candidate ever. I'm the one winning all the duels! Divine prick!

Tristan shows up all of a sudden with something to say about Serenity.

......The WHAT?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kaibaman is great. It was one of their first attempts to make Blue-Eyes good again, and they went with Kaiba wearing a gijinka cosplay. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ephraim225 posted:

We get an interesting prize card. Toad Master's effect is to summon Frog the Jam, a monster with way more history and background than a simple frog slime deserves. 700 attack points and no effect, and yet people use him in the TCG, it's hilarious.

distant, relentless croaking calling for death

I mean, no they don't, but distant, relentless croaking calling for death

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There's also the fact that a good number of the Ghouls should be dead.

Like, Marik straight up brainwashes Pandora/Arkana into killing himself after the duel. Or, at least, he did in the manga. His girlfriend also didn't really get more than a passing mention in the manga.

Duke and Tristan having a thing for Serenity was also anime only.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So is he just like Storm Crow for Yugioh or something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ramos posted:

So is he just like Storm Crow for Yugioh or something?
Nah, that'd be Shapesnatch.

Frog the Jam is more like... Chimney Imp.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
... They are still making new yu-gi-oh epsiodes? Actually, I would kinda have a nostalgic desire to see a reboot of the first few seasons of the show, kinda like dragonball z and fullmetal.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

... They are still making new yu-gi-oh epsiodes? Actually, I would kinda have a nostalgic desire to see a reboot of the first few seasons of the show, kinda like dragonball z and fullmetal.

They have new series with new continuities now.

The latest one just ended, but there have been 5 since the original duel monsters. In every single one card games have become more and more important to everyday life.

Also they just released a movie thats a followup from the first series about Yugi/Kaiba etc. a few years later.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You're in luck. They just did a movie that's a sequel to the original manga (Not the anime, the manga. There's a couple of plot points that don't make sense if you try to view it as a sequel to the anime). It has it's flaws, but overall it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG3sUoY61es

But yes, they're still doing episodes. The final episode of the fifth series is this Sunday, and then the sixth series begins in May.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Zore posted:

They have new series with new continuities now.

The latest one just ended, but there have been 5 since the original duel monsters. In every single one card games have become more and more important to everyday life.
Didn't Egyptian civilization collapse in the Yu-Gi-Oh because of the predecessor to Duel Monsters? Way to hasten humanity's demise, idiots.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

get that OUT of my face posted:

Didn't Egyptian civilization collapse in the Yu-Gi-Oh because of the predecessor to Duel Monsters? Way to hasten humanity's demise, idiots.

One of the later series features a caste system based on your ability to duel! I should also stress that series has a mini arc where the protagonist is thrown into jail and manages to escape by using illegally smuggled cards provided by the other prisoners to duel the warden for his freedom. And every city in the world has a highway system configured to change on a whim to a race track so people can play card duels on motorcycles against each other.

And that's probably the most grounded setting.

Zore fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 25, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Zore posted:

One of the later series features a caste system based on your ability to duel! I should also stress that series has a mini arc where the protagonist is thrown into jail and manages to escape by using illegally smuggled cards provided by the other prisoners to duel the warden for his freedom. And every city in the world has a highway system configured to change on a whim to a race track so people can play card duels on motorcycles against each other.

And that's probably the most grounded setting.

This is also the series with a final boss who comes from the ruined future to stop the protagonist and his friends, because the future is destroyed by card games.

The key to defeating him involves riding a motorcycle into space and becoming a super saiyan in order to combine five mythical dragons together into one greater dragon, who is the embodiment of cosmic might and also the protagonist's bonds with his friends.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is fuckin' weird, man.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Oh, oh, would anyone like me to give a full review of Arc-V and why I think it's completely awful, with excruciating detail?!

alcharagia posted:

Huh? Did I do something strange...?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Ephraim225 posted:

Huh? Did I do something strange...?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I haven't seen much of the other Yu-Gi-Oh series, to be honest.

There were a series of story time threads for GX and 5Ds' mangas that I caught, but I've only seen the beginning of GX up to about Jaden getting his Neo Spacian deck and a smattering of 5Ds episodes involving the Dark Signers. The GX manga was better than what I saw of the anime, though the 5Ds manga was terrible.

That being said, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on Arc-V, though I probably won't be able to appreciate them fully.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on Arc-V, though I probably won't be able to appreciate them fully.

basically arc-v has a really good first 30-40% and then drops in quality and then massively sinks in quality later on around when most of the cast gets sidelined and/or taken out in a weirdly long yet also irrelevant arc about the gang in a jungle survival game fighting THE BATTLE BEAST. shame. hopefully the new series, Yugioh VRAINS, is as phreaking epic as it seems, and also, has good cards that i can play with fun in the fun card game, yu-gi-oh by konami!!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That sounds like what I've heard of 5Ds.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Most YGO shows tend to fall apart in the second half.

The exception is Zexal which falls apart in the first half and puts itself back together in the second.

That being said I like the second half of GX but that's a hotly debated subject over whether it's good or not.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nahhh. 5D's didn't have nearly as large a cast and its plot changes were more because one of the voice actors was involved in this sex cult scandal that went down around that time. 5D's just went bugfuck nuts and got Masaaki Endoh to scream his lungs out about burning souls. Also it gets good again at the ending, Arc-V doesn't really.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That said, whether Season 3 of GX is good or not, the fact remains that GX is the best Yugioh anime, and anyone who disagrees can take it up with FLAME WINGMAN'S SUPER POWER

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Flame Wingman's super power?!

N-no..! S-surely you can't be talking about what I think you're talking about..!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
That's right! When he destroys a monster by battle, you take damage equal to that monster's attack points!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

"But first, I play Pot of Greed, which lets me draw two cards from my deck!"

"Good move! Since he played Pot of Greed, he can draw two more cards!"

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

alcharagia posted:

That's right! When he destroys a monster by battle, you take damage equal to that monster's attack points!

Aha! But I have a card effect that prevents the destruction of my monster in battle!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

"But first, I play Pot of Greed, which lets me draw two cards from my deck!"

"Good move! Since he played Pot of Greed, he can draw two more cards!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55rM2_XvcT4

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ephraim225 posted:

Aha! But I have a card effect that prevents the destruction of my monster in battle!

All: "BUT YOU STILL TAKE THE DAMAGE!"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is getting very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

quote:

Yu-Gi-Oh! VRAINS is the sixth Yu-Gi-Oh! anime series and the fifth spin-off. It was originally scheduled to air in Japan in April 2017 after the conclusion of Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V, but it was delayed to May 2017. The series follows Yusaku Fujiki and will take place in a high school environment. The duels will feature virtual reality dueling and hoverboards.[2]
Synopsis

The series will feature Charisma Duelists who use VR and are similar to YouTubers. The show's theme is: "Let's take one step forward and try it!" Yusaku's ace monster is called "Decode Talker" and wields a giant sword. A mysterious creature also follows Yusaku.[3]

oh my loving god

• Locked thread