Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"I hate this country." - Selina Meyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DU_VyHcWL4

Not wanting to be overshadowed by how dumb and absurd politics are in the real-life United States, Veep is back on HBO on April 16th, at 10:30 PM!

Last season, Selina Meyer (Julia Louis-Dreyfus), and then Tom James (Hugh Laurie) lost the presidency to Laurrrrra Montez. Also Jonad has testicular cancer, Gary had a remarkable meltdown and a hard drive that contained Catherine and Marjorie's documentary "Kissing Your Sister" about the Meyer administration mysteriously vanished.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

I'm pretty curious about what the show will be like with Selina not in any position of power.

Through the entire S5 finale I was expecting the twist to come where she somehow becomes VP or SoS. The twist was that there was no twist this time :smith:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

I'm pretty curious about what the show will be like with Selina not in any position of power.

I mean, she was the Vice President

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trump killed Veep

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I mean, she was the Vice President

:laffo:

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

is Hugh Laurie sticking around for this season?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Trump killed Veep

For real, I can't even imagine the lengths the upcoming season will have to go to in order to be more comedic and absurd than the past election cycle and the current political arena in general

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I sorta feel like this will have to be the last season. Not sure where they can go from here. I would be wary of this season but 5 was my favourite yet so I trust David Handel.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Professor Shark posted:

Trump killed Veep

The guy who plays Jonah had a tweet after the election that was like "So, uh, should we just cancel the show now?"

But for real, I'm looking forward to the show. It's easily one of my favorite comedies on the air.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Thanks for starting the thread. I wanted to do it when the trailer came out but :effort:

I have to agree that Trump has already been more absurd than anything Veep thought of in the last five seasons, and the trailer didn't do too much for me either. But I think I felt the same way before and it was probably the lack of setup or content for the jokes, because the show's been brilliant. So yeah, let's see.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Escobarbarian posted:

I sorta feel like this will have to be the last season. Not sure where they can go from here. I would be wary of this season but 5 was my favourite yet so I trust David Handel.

How many seasons can you BURN EVERYTHING DOWN. Trump has nothing on Selena.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Professor Shark posted:

Trump killed Veep

Honestly, this. I just can't muster up the enthusiasm right now, real life has finally gone roaring past the line of ludicrousness where satire stops.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'll be watching the show because I love it but I'm genuinely uncertain how I'm going to feel about it in this new world.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Professor Shark posted:

Trump killed Veep

Yeah :smith: I will definitely watch, probably just for Jonah, but I can't imagine anything more insane than what has been going on in the country. Veep has been one of the best shows on TV for its entire run though, so if I trust anyone to make a show about the former VP/P funny, it's the Veep team.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don't think Trump is bad for Veep at all since it's a comedy about clusterfucks in government and incompetent people. Anyway she's not president or VP anymore so she's probably just out on the speech circuit and setting up foundations and poo poo. Not sure when this season was filmed so Idk if they can make any jokes about Selina living in the woods or anything, I bet it was all written before the election

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The idea of mocking a fictional incompetent and sleazy White House just becomes a lot less whimsical when there's an actual really incompetent and super sleazy White House occupying our attention and concerns.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The reason it was funny is because the White House has always been full of incompetent and sleazy people. That's not the problem. It's more that the comedy was rooted in DC bureaucracy and the basic functions of government, and the current administration is throwing it out the window.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The reason it was funny is because the White House has always been full of incompetent and sleazy people. That's not the problem. It's more that the comedy was rooted in DC bureaucracy and the basic functions of government, and the current administration is throwing it out the window.

But its also the basic satire thing of "turned up to 11" and its one thing to say "all politicians are sleazy and incompetent" but the Trump Administration lives at 11.

I don't know. Like I said, I intend to watch but I'm just a little unsure of how I'll feel about it. It seems like a potential shift from satire to gallows humor.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 29, 2017

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
In Britain we had a similar problem; The Thick of It stopped in 2012. In the UK 2015 general election the Labour leader unveiled a figurative tombstone for his own party:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EdStone

Iannucci always pointed to this as the reason why they stopped doing the show. If The Thick of It depicted something this absurd people would say it had jumped the shark.

Still, I'm looking forward to more Veep.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah :smith: I will definitely watch, probably just for Jonah, but I can't imagine anything more insane than what has been going on in the country. Veep has been one of the best shows on TV for its entire run though, so if I trust anyone to make a show about the former VP/P funny, it's the Veep team.

You forgot the second best reason to always watch: Richard. And speaking of Richard and Jonah, I would love for there to be a new ongoing subplot for the two of them where they're secretly ecelebs/thought leaders of some type of altright internet nerd group, with resulting scandal when Richard inevitably blunders in his site admin duties and accidentally self-doxxes the both of them

Henchman of Santa posted:

STAC Goat posted:

But its also the basic satire thing of "turned up to 11" and its one thing to say "all politicians are sleazy and incompetent" but the Trump Administration lives at 11.

I don't know. Like I said, I intend to watch but I'm just a little unsure of how I'll feel about it. It seems like a potential shift from satire to gallows humor.

I'd say the White House/DC has been turned up to 11 constantly and continuously since GW Bush's administration after 9/11, we just didn't fully know until all the leaks of the past year, and the media didn't make it seem even worse during those years by not acting like complete lunatics themselves

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

For all the discussion around Trump I expect the next season to be more of a dark comedic take on post-defeat Hillary than our current president.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

For all the discussion around Trump I expect the next season to be more of a dark comedic take on post-defeat Hillary than our current president.

This. I'm also hoping the show takes a hard left and has a super-competent president, at least from Selina's point of view.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

For people writing this show off because of real world bullshit; the show is pretty funny even outside of politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOE8kL3dac

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Stare-Out posted:

For people writing this show off because of real world bullshit; the show is pretty funny even outside of politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOE8kL3dac

I'm 100% not writing it off, but politics got a lot less funny with Trump in charge so I understand and am a part of the folks who I think have a valid question re: where the show goes in respect to making politics funny.

The starting clip of Jonah Ryan on his phone is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen and why I trust the writing staff and the cast to make me laugh a ton though.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

savinhill posted:

You forgot the second best reason to always watch: Richard. And speaking of Richard and Jonah, I would love for there to be a new ongoing subplot for the two of them where they're secretly ecelebs/thought leaders of some type of altright internet nerd group, with resulting scandal when Richard inevitably blunders in his site admin duties and accidentally self-doxxes the both of them

This is very similar to Jonah secretly becoming an e-celeb when he ran a White House insider blog.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Mike's just suddenly not as funny when we have to put up with Spicy IRL.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey Slick. What's Blondie's situation? Does she choke for coke?

e: sincerely i think that this show has gotten better every year which like, how many shows can say?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2017

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Phenotype posted:

This is very similar to Jonah secretly becoming an e-celeb when he ran a White House insider blog.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I had the thought, they could even include that as part of it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Well that didn't take for someone to put two and two together.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Does that mean that Trump's gonna be the president in Veep world too, or am I reading tweets and posts about them wrong?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The last "real" president in Veep was Carter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Anyone watch it? It took a while to get going but "You look like you should be underground worshiping an atomic bomb" and the shaving jokes killed me.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Thought it was great but subdued and reasonable compared to reality. Once they get Amy back in the main group I feel like it'll pick up.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I'm... not into Selina becoming a hybrid of both Clintons for her post-presidency. I understand that Bill post-2000 and Hillary post-2012 is the best, most visible model we have for a former politician returning to private life but it feels very jarring.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i dont know anything about american politics but I've loved every season of this show. It stands on its own no matter whats going on in the real white house

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Frankly, this episode didn't do anything for me. Maybe it just takes a bit to develop, but now that it's not really about politics anymore, following Selina's antics feels kinda bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I actually quit the episode mid-episode. I think that was probably just because I was in a bad place yesterday and the episode felt long and I wasn't fully retaining it. It wasn't actually a rejection of the episode. But I decided to just wait and watch it later on HBO Go. I might just wait and binge a few episodes.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

There's no way "AIDS and Adult Literacy" could be something that could stand for ANAL right?

And I do agree that watching this season doesn't seem right considering the IRL poo poo going on. Though the Dan/Jonah banter is still amazing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jonah's website is fantastic.

quote:

I attended the University of New Hampshire, first in Durham and then after a year off, at the Manchester campus, although I left before completing my degree. While I was in college, I was also attending another school, the School of Hard Knocks, where I learned important lessons about the fundamental unfairness of life and how difficult it can be to make other people, especially girls, like you if you suffer from the disability of being tall and rather gangly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget Splettnet.net!
https://www.splettnet.net/a-splettcipe-you-can-make-tonight/

quote:

A Splettcipe You Can Make Tonight!

Many home chefs (pointing a finger right at myself here) get bogged down with complicated recipes. But a delicious meal doesn’t have to be difficult.

Here’s my recipe for Spaghetti alla Riccardo — but there’s a twist:

1) Buy spaghetti. Any brand will do, I haven’t found a bad one yet. I don’t want to endorse any specific products here but Garofalo, the kind they sell at Costco, is delicious and shares a name with Janine Garofalo, a comedienne who’s given me her fair share of laughs.

2) Buy sauce. Ideally on the same trip to the store as (1). Again, I can’t recommend specific products due to the Splettnet code of ethics, but Ragu has been around for a long time for a reason. Prego is also delicious. If you’re already at Costco, well: Kirkland may not be the most Italian name, but I’ll be surprised if you find yourself disappointed.

3) Boil water. Simple, just put water in a pot. Not too much, don’t want it to boil over. Trust your gut.

4) Add spaghetti to sauce. Your spaghetti package will say how long to cook it for. You can trust them, they’re on your team.

5) Put something else in the sauce. Wasn’t expecting that, were you? Here’s where it gets interesting. If you put a chopped up zucchini into the sauce, well then you’ve made Spaghetti alla Riccardo. But if you put anything else? Anything you like? Then guess what? You’ve made Spaghetti alla You. An onion? Garlic? An apple? Sounds crazy, but it’s your dinner.

6) Heat up the sauce. I usually do this in my pan.

7) Strain spaghetti. This is the most fun part, in my opinion.

8) Put sauce on the spaghetti. Not too much. Remember: the number one way to spoil spaghetti is too much sauce. On the other hand the number two way is not enough sauce.

9) Enjoy.

• Locked thread