Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This comes up a lot especially around John Carpenter, where people act like for some reason he's always been this respected filmmaker. He deliberately made films in the mold of the inner-city grindhouse (best example being Big Trouble In Little China) and was treated accordingly. He had to be rehabilitated and reevaluated, just like Verhofen, Hitchcock, Wes Craven, etc.

Seriously, I encourage people to go back and read contemporary reviews of now beloved films like Blade Runner, Halloween and the like.

I get a laugh at ANY time a big name horror director is called a visionary or a genius nowadays when at the time, even while I was growing up, they were derided and belittled.

Ridley Scott is basically going through the inverse of that phenomenon right now. At least in Nerd circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

I don't get it, anytime you mention that maybe BvS isn't a bad good movie they get into a frenzy. For all their talk about CineD BSS being a hivemind, they get pissed when you disagree with them.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Burkion posted:

I get a laugh at ANY time a big name horror director is called a visionary or a genius nowadays when at the time, even while I was growing up, they were derided and belittled.

Ridley Scott is basically going through the inverse of that phenomenon right now. At least in Nerd circles.

Ridley Scott's business is trash and business is good.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Alien pre-sequels until he dies.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Chieves posted:

Overall, Snyder does seem really ahead of his time/ underappreciated in his own time. Blade Runner was really polarizing at it's own release as well. I've also seen more and more people coming around to recognize and appreciate Watchmen in retrospective.

...Haven't seen people defend Sucker Punch, however, so that one just might be a turd. :v:

I have defended Sucker Punch, and will continue to do so.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

I've yet to watch it, but any movie that has Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino performing "Love Is The Drug" can't be bad.

I liked it, but it required a bit of effort on my behalf. It's pretty much peak Snyder, for good or ill.

My point is that they shouldn't be so smug about CineD when they themselves are just as bad.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think theyre way worse.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Chris Pratt basically plays Jack Burton from Big Trouble In Little China in every single movie he makes. That his entire shtick.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

Alien pre-sequels until he dies.
The Prometheus thread is actually what made me kind of love this forum. There was like hundreds of pages of people talking about toys, then the movie came out and its another hundred pages of nerds shouting "plot hole!" and "its not realistic!", and then SMG turns up followed by a few others and then it actually became fascinating to read.

Basically, I just hope the same thing happens every time he releases another Alien movie.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like that the people who like Batman v Superman and Man of Steel take the time to explain why they like it. For most of this thread, people who hate those two films never elaborate "It's bad because it sucks!" then get mad when asked to go into more detail and even madder so when people start pointing out that those things never happened or did so differently.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Chieves posted:

Blade Runner was really polarizing at it's own release as well.

That's not really a fair comparison. Blade Runner WAS a worse movie at its release.

Or so I've heard. I haven't seen theatrical Blade Runner.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jimbot posted:

I like that the people who like Batman v Superman and Man of Steel take the time to explain why they like it. For most of this thread, people who hate those two films never elaborate "It's bad because it sucks!" then get mad when asked to go into more detail and even madder so when people start pointing out that those things never happened or did so differently.

There have been lengthy discussions about Man of Steel and why people didn't like it or what parts they had issue with. The problem is that a couple of days later someone like you says "Gee, how come no one's ever actually explained why they don't like Man of Steel?" Why bother explaining yourself when it's just going to be ignored?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

MoS and BvS don't offer the kind of fantasies people are accustomed to in their superhero movies post-Iron Man. For example, the way Pa Kent chooses to die is such an over-the-top gesture of ethical conviction that it infuriates people to no end. It's illogical, not tactically sound, and completely trashes the conventional sense of empowerment superheroes represent.

BvS was also too realistic in retrospect. The fact that a self-destructive lunatic won is unacceptable, because his character "doesn't make sense" and is too irrational.

to bring up another cined redemption darling, MoS/BvS is kinda like the star wars prequels in showing that being capable of physically superhuman feats doesn't make you even remotely immune from emotional problems like how to respond to the incoming death of a loved one or being manipulated into trying to kill your father figure

becoming a superhero irl wouldn't fix your own flaws as a person, if anything it would just amplify the repercussions of them and that's terrifying

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gorn Myson posted:

I've yet to watch it, but any movie that has Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino performing "Love Is The Drug" can't be bad.

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has seen any good analysis of Sucker Punch? I haven't seen it since around the time it came out, but in rewatching some YouTube clips it's super over the top but I remember there being like three layers of storylines going on at once (IIRC Mental ward -> Brothel -> Mech Fantasy World) and how what happens in one cascades into the others. It feels like it was a huge take down of traditional nerd culture (like the sexy ninja school girl kicking rear end was in reality being raped two levels of reality above and her action fantasy was her mind trying to cope with it) and the target audience who went to see boobs and explosions didn't like seeing their own perversion rubbed in their face. Accurate?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Phylodox posted:

There have been lengthy discussions about Man of Steel and why people didn't like it or what parts they had issue with. The problem is that a couple of days later someone like you says "Gee, how come no one's ever actually explained why they don't like Man of Steel?" Why bother explaining yourself when it's just going to be ignored?

The explanations tend to be the most banal stuff imaginable, so one can hardly be blamed when they all blur together. I've read dozens of them and can't remember a single one properly, except for the hilariously wrong ones like how Snyder is a secret Objectivist. Last critic I saw bring it up mentioned how it didn't properly "set up" plot point leading to a sense of detachment and narrative looseness.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Brother Entropy posted:

to bring up another cined redemption darling, MoS/BvS is kinda like the star wars prequels in showing that being capable of physically superhuman feats doesn't make you even remotely immune from emotional problems like how to respond to the incoming death of a loved one or being manipulated into trying to kill your father figure

becoming a superhero irl wouldn't fix your own flaws as a person, if anything it would just amplify the repercussions of them and that's terrifying

It's easy to dismiss it as "deconstruction" (something comics supposedly got out of their system 20 years ago), but really, if the dominant genre is going to be superhero stuff, why not have some that actually criticize the all-powerful?

GoldenGun
Oct 21, 2005

In heaven everything is fine
Oh yes

https://vimeo.com/210046417?ref=em-share

GoldenGun fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 25, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

It's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cxixDgHUYw

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
re: the trailer, glad they finally acknowledged that Batman's superpower is being rich.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm hype.

Opening day baby

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
So good. "Just like a bat. I dig it."

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Potato posted:

So good. "Just like a bat. I dig it."

I thought it was "You dress like a bat."

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Looks like try hard at garbage once again.

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew

Phylodox posted:

I thought it was "You dress like a bat."

Oh, no, looks like I have to watch the trailer a third time to find out. Might be. I don't really hear the "you" so maybe just, "dressed like a bat." Doesn't really change things either way, just a great line.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Sir Potato posted:

Oh, no, looks like I have to watch the trailer a third time to find out. Might be. I don't really hear the "you" so maybe just, "dressed like a bat." Doesn't really change things either way, just a great line.

That's probably just the extremely contracted nature of the English language. "Y'dress like a bat. I dig it."

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Is "Like a bat"

But seriously, awesome trailer. Momoa is killing it as Aquaman.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty sure he said "Like a lion", which confirms that this movie features Voltron.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Who is at 1:48?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
The moment when Aquaman is riding on top of the Batmobile, and he throws a smile at Batman because he knows he's about to do some goddamn sicknasty poo poo tackling parademons in the air is my everything. Goddamn that was cool.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gorn Myson posted:

Pretty sure he said "Like a lion", which confirms that this movie features Voltron.

This.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Grem posted:

Who is at 1:48?

aquaman's wife, mera

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
I hope they turn the brightness up, but i know they won't.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So, did they show Barry visiting someone in prison? Are they doing the whole his dad was framed for his mom's murder thing again?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Do we know who the black dude in the overcoat with the motherbox is during the start of the trailer is? Gave me Martian Manhunter vibes.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Do we know who the black dude in the overcoat with the motherbox is during the start of the trailer is? Gave me Martian Manhunter vibes.

It's Cyborg's dad. Cyborg is made with a mother box.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

Brother Entropy posted:

aquaman's wife, mera

Ah, didn't catch that the dudes behind her were floating.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I was expecting Aquaman to be dour as gently caress so him actually being an awesome surfer dude is a pleasant surprise.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

GonSmithe posted:

It's Cyborg's dad. Cyborg is made with a mother box.

MILES DYSON AT IT AGAIN

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Crunkjuice posted:

I hope they turn the brightness up, but i know they won't.

Yeah this is the one thing that I don't really like about Snydervision, everything is just these washed out and dark tones of teal, blue and grey. It's kind of tiring to watch. And he doesn't have the benefit of Larry Fong's camera eye this time around so it looks drab. Other than that, hard to say what kind of a mess it'll be, hopefully an interesting one at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timeless Appeal posted:

Just want to point out that not only was Joe Morton cast as Doctor Miles Dyson, he was also cast as The Brother From Another Planet.

• Locked thread